Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nothing, really. It's just new so people are looking to see where it fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm actually considering using it over the prototype A-wing in my double ghost list.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

thespaceinvader posted:

Because rerolls on arc locked BTLs are only useful if they're poionting at things.

Maybe this is just because I fly BTL Y-Wings a lot, but that's not as crippling as you seem to be implying.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Amazon's got some X-Wing stuff for sale today, Ghost for $26 and Shadow Caster for $22 or so and the TFA Core Set for $20, and some pretty sweet models for $9-15.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

JonathonSpectre posted:

Amazon's got some X-Wing stuff for sale today, Ghost for $26 and Shadow Caster for $22 or so and the TFA Core Set for $20, and some pretty sweet models for $9-15.

Those are some good prices. I’ve always wanted to nab a Ghost.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had fun running the Fenn Phantom II with Kanna/Flight assist astro/ wired along side an Intensity Poe. No idea if it would be even slightly competitive (it won't be) but i'm going to run it again sometime because it was fun.

But other than that, the Phantom II is the Flight assist Astro expansion.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I wanted to make a 4 ship build with the new Sheathipede and tried this:
ARC-170: •Braylen Stram (29)
Alliance Overhaul (0)
Tactician (2)
•R3-A2 (2)

T-70 X-Wing: •Jess Pava (28)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•M9-G8 (3)

Auzituck Gunship: Kashyyyk Defender (25)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Sheathipede-class Shuttle: •AP-5 (18)
•Phantom II (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Tactician (2)
•"Chopper" (1)

Total: 100/100

It was fun to fly with potential triple stress coming at a ship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

lazerus06 posted:

I wanted to make a 4 ship build with the new Sheathipede and tried this:
ARC-170: •Braylen Stram (29)
Alliance Overhaul (0)
Tactician (2)
•R3-A2 (2)

T-70 X-Wing: •Jess Pava (28)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•M9-G8 (3)

Auzituck Gunship: Kashyyyk Defender (25)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Sheathipede-class Shuttle: •AP-5 (18)
•Phantom II (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Tactician (2)
•"Chopper" (1)

Total: 100/100

It was fun to fly with potential triple stress coming at a ship.

Point of order: Guidance chips?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Chopper can discard them to regen a shield.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006
Also, you can’t equip the Phantom 2 title without the Ghost title. The Phantom titles have a cost of dash.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Madurai posted:

Point of order: Guidance chips?

Chopper can discard the title and guidance chips to gain a shield back

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Deadmeat posted:

Also, you can’t equip the Phantom 2 title without the Ghost title. The Phantom titles have a cost of dash.
Looking though faqs, I don't see anything that says you must equip the Ghost title to have the phantom II title.
Not that I don't believe you, just wondering where it is stated.
-edit nevermind, found where it states this, good catch!

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 11, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've played about 6 games with Kylo in the Silencer now and I'm not sure it's good. Not because the ship is bad, but because the list you have to build around it won't have the firepower to punch through massively tanky Rebel lists that feature Lowhhrick, multiple wookies, heavy amounts of regen, etc.

Maybe if you run Kylo with 2-3 missile generics to get one off the board early?

I feel like the days when you could run 2 aces with support (or 3 aces) are largely gone because the hit-and-run game is simply not viable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I've played about 6 games with Kylo in the Silencer now and I'm not sure it's good. Not because the ship is bad, but because the list you have to build around it won't have the firepower to punch through massively tanky Rebel lists that feature Lowhhrick, multiple wookies, heavy amounts of regen, etc.

I feel like the days when you could run 2 aces with support (or 3 aces) are largely gone because the hit-and-run game is simply not viable.

So like pre-Imperial Veterans TIE Defenders in other words

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Not really. I don't feel that Kylo is overpriced for what he gives you (which is how I felt about Defenders).

It's rather that there's not enough good stuff at a cheap enough price point to compliment him.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

It's rather that there's not enough good stuff at a cheap enough price point to compliment him.
What did you try to pair him with? I'm already using a couple of gunboats as Kylo's wingmen with some success, but I still need to try it against quad wookies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

What Kylo build did you try?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I havent played with Kylo yet but on paper he doesnt seem worth paying Coran Horn prices. Im struggling to see what he offers that other imp aces dont(that are also cheaper)

Im assuming his "standard" build is
Fcs
Ptl
The new focus keeping tech
Autothrusters

Which puts him at 44 points.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Here are two good lists that were run this past weekend by the Foss brothers (Aussie red head twin beta testers).

This took 2nd going 6-2 for the day

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon (3)
Linked Battery (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
XG-1 Assault Configuration (1)

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

This would have done 6/2 too if it had not been to 4 natual evade by the above list in the final round.

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Linked Battery (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Linked Battery (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I flew 2 matchs with each yesterday and they are good but unforgiving. TLT/Bomb lists are their natural enemy (Nym/Miranda). Kylo's positioning ability is out of this bloody world

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 11, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I flew Kylo with PTL, title, autothrusters. Tested both FCS and Advanced Sensors: like with Thweek, I feel like you really need FCS to keep the damage up.

The only tech I tried was Primed Thrusters, which was useless on the FCS version and, uh, used once on the advanced sensors version?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I kinda fell out of playing X-Wing regularly around the beginning of the year, so it's been a while since i've really focused on new waves and meta happenings.

Full time Scum player, and I understand Shadowcaster and Protectorate fighter ended up being awesome,
but then we had the Quad Jumper, Scurrg bomber which I have never seen a single person play,
and then Guns for Hire was spoiled and I was super excited that the Star Viper and Kihraxs were going to get some love, but I never heard how the additions were received.
And now the Kimogila's out and I'm not hearing much buzz about it.

How's Scum doing as a faction these days? Are tournaments still just Brobots and Triple Jumpmaster?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Pyronic posted:

I kinda fell out of playing X-Wing regularly around the beginning of the year, so it's been a while since i've really focused on new waves and meta happenings.

Full time Scum player, and I understand Shadowcaster and Protectorate fighter ended up being awesome,
but then we had the Quad Jumper, Scurrg bomber which I have never seen a single person play,
and then Guns for Hire was spoiled and I was super excited that the Star Viper and Kihraxs were going to get some love, but I never heard how the additions were received.
And now the Kimogila's out and I'm not hearing much buzz about it.

How's Scum doing as a faction these days? Are tournaments still just Brobots and Triple Jumpmaster?

Nym is super loving good

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The Scurgg is such a good chassis that all the pilots are decent. Scurg generics with EPT (Deadeye) and harpoon missile and autoblaster are very good, nym was so good he got the fastest nerf in Xwing history and is still very good, sol sixxa is good but has a high skill ceiling.

Fenn rau is one of the best ships in the game. Jumpmaster is still the best bang for buck chassis despite a third nerf. Asajj is a good bet for throwing wookies on rocks. Starvipers are super fun to fly now, probably not highly competitive but still very solid. And with quad wookies and Miranda running amok, thug life is probably as competitive as it ever was.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Don't know if it has been brought up here, but can Thweek shadow a Thweek that has initiative and shadowed one of your pilots? I tried looking up, but it just leads to threads on the FFG forum the go down a deep rabbit hole.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Thweek can't use his pilot ability copy any ability that assigns conditions. So no Rex, Kylo or Thweek.

Edit: whoops, that's just mimicked...

You have to assign the condition during set up, and you receive the PS of the pilot after setup, so it checks out. Two thweeeks shadowing each other would be ps4 or infinite loop, take your pick.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Thweek can't use his pilot ability copy any ability that assigns conditions. So no Rex, Kylo or Thweek.

Edit: whoops, that's just mimicked...

You have to assign the condition during set up, and you receive the PS of the pilot after setup, so it checks out. Two Thweeks shadowing each other would be ps4 or infinite loop, take your pick.

Seen so many Thweeks lately I figured might as well use it. Thweek shadowing my ps 11 then my Thweek would shadow theirs and and now I have 2 PS 11s.

Also, this list is going to have a Nym with FCS, Autoblaster and Trick Shot. Three die autoblaster turret with t/l and focus makes me giggle.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What's the consensus on Kimogila and the B/SF? Dead in the water? All the chatter seems to be around the other guys.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Silencers seem really oddly and awkwardly costed.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Resistance Bomber is fine. I cannot see much of a reason to field the named pilots outside of gimmick lists, but the generic can be put in fairly cheaply. The Trajectory Sim. with Bomblets and Defensive plating is 30 points, so not bad for how much hull it has, just don't expect it to be the major damage dealer. T.S. is not as crazy as it seems at first glance, at least with a large based ship. Unless you want to hit your self with your bomb, you pretty much have to launch then turn away, which makes launching in the future harder (but dropping behind you fine), or do the stop. I can see the T.S. being better on a small based ship actually. The model looks pretty badass though, which I was pleasantly surprised with.

Have not tried the Kaligula yet, because I only have so many hours in he day, god; get off my back!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

uncle blog posted:

What's the consensus on Kimogila and the B/SF? Dead in the water? All the chatter seems to be around the other guys.

Early chatter on the Kimogila is that it dies too easily, but there's some real possibilities around Crimson Leader on the bomber.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Early chatter on the Kimogila is that it dies too easily, but there's some real possibilities around Crimson Leader on the bomber.

When you fly it you realize how really tiny that bullseye arc really is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

When you fly it you realize how really tiny that bullseye arc really is.

Yeah I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it's definitely tiny. It also doesn't spread out the way the primary arc does, so the tiniest nudge swings that arc wildly relative to distant targets.

I think flying that ship is going to be a matter of making it good no matter what, with the bullseye arc being a "nice to have" thing.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm trying to find the Protectorate Starfighter expansion and everyone is out of stock. Do they still produce older waves or are they a one and done kind of thing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm trying to find the Protectorate Starfighter expansion and everyone is out of stock. Do they still produce older waves or are they a one and done kind of thing?

They reprint everything, eventually. It can take a while, though. K and Y wings were out of stock for months.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

Pretty much my experience, as with the Defender, as with the Advanced.. Either in need of more punch or more defence or more cheaper. I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up with an ace pack at some point.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I suppose the high shield + higher agility always attract a much higher initial point cost, which is inevitably revised down.

God I still remember the hype about the TIE Interceptor and how Interceptor swarms were going to break the meta.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
3 dice primary is the new 2 dice primary, and 4 dice ordnance is the new 3 dice primary.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Recoome posted:

I suppose the high shield + higher agility always attract a much higher initial point cost, which is inevitably revised down.

God I still remember the hype about the TIE Interceptor and how Interceptor swarms were going to break the meta.

I was just hoping that the Silencer could be a sort-of replacement for classic triple Ints. You can have the two named Silencer pilots, and a really awkward number of left over points, or three of the mid-PS generics and a few upgrades. Odd and awkward.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gunboats are probably the answer for those odd point values. I need to test it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Recoome posted:

And then they release the wookies, with reinforce which is better than 3 naked agility, on all shots and a bucket of health!

Edit: I am still super mad that none of the many focus & evade affecting shenanigans (Scrambler, bullseye arc, etc) affect reinforce.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 11, 2017

• Locked thread