Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Mike Schmidt could be an alias Michael Afton uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I thought Outlast was pretty poo poo when it came out, that crap about Outlast 2 makes me glad I never bothered. I watched a play through of the new Five Night game, I'm actually impressed he managed to keep a similar formula but change it up enough that it's not actually stale. Dudes pretty drat clever, oh and the audio work is pretty great.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My understanding with regards to the toy animatronics in FNAF 2 is that the puppet hosed with their facial recognition. While well meaning, the puppet's still a ghost kid, so the puppet just understands it as "adults are evil because one killed me, so they want to kill other kids as well." I figure that's why the extremely haunted old animatronics act wildly differently from the toy ones who are just reprogrammed (Aside from toy freddy who I think acts the same as old freddy, it's not a perfect theory :v:)

There's also apparently a secret ending in Pizzeria Simulator involving Egg Baby. If you have it in the pizzeria and do some specific poo poo, you can find Henry talking about some of the poo poo Afton's done, including a substance called "Remnant" which is implied to be why the animatronics get haunted, Afton was PURPOSELY trapping souls inside the animatronics. You can find the ending and the blueprints here, I can't find a clean picture of any of the blueprints without some jackass' face mugging and screaming over them. It also explains why Michael Afton didn't die despite being scooped, since the "SCUP"er injects it's victim with Remnant, the guy is basically haunting his own machinery filled corpse.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Mike Schmidt could be an alias Michael Afton uses?
Probably not? You have to assume Baby's place was shared a parent company with 2's restaurant instead of 1's, which would mean the kids were killed at the original restaurant instead of 2's and the bodies were in the band for a few years and then sold. Except in 2's phone calls William is referenced to in regards to a "former employee" nobody should admit inside, and Phone barely knows what the original restaurant was even called, therefore it's not likely he's running Baby's place at that time.

I mean there's loose ends and logic gaps that are covered with bandages that stretch credibility in any plot summary, because Scott was making up a lot of stuff as he went along. "4's Jerkass Brother was the protagonist in all four games and 4 is his trauma from working at them all" was a fun theory for a while, though.

EDIT: Also, FNAF2 refers to "a spare in the back, a yellow one, and someone messed with it" which was the support to my idea that Springtrap is still used in costume form until after SL when finally everybody knows how dangerous it is and the first game's restaurant entombs the thing.

EDIT 2: Finally, it's worth mentioning that Phone Guy dies in Night 4 of #1, so it's not like the robots are specifically looking for Afton at this point. They're just going to kill any guy in a security uniform.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 11, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

outlast 1 was sort of alright, but outlast 2 disappeared so far up its own rear end that it became another one of those linear tunnels to run through while half blind that take up a significant chunk of the game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the entire ending for Hello Neighbor. Tell me how much sense this poo poo makes compared to the first alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPoycrZLas4

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here are the three blueprints from that video.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Danaru posted:

I'm sure as hell not listening to those but holy gently caress what's wrong with these people

Do French Canadians have a thing for rape?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most egregious crime of Hello Neighbor is that it further legitimizes the existence of the Game Theorists, whom I loathe.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

The most egregious crime of Hello Neighbor is that it further legitimizes the existence of the Game Theorists, whom I loathe.

For something like Dark Souls it's really appreciated. I would never be able to piece together so much of what actually really interesting poo poo.

But of course, Dark Souls wasn't constantly remade to pander to social media.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dark Souls Alpha .6 Update: GWYN DID WHAT?!! (Painted World Secrets!)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For something like Dark Souls it's really appreciated. I would never be able to piece together so much of what actually really interesting poo poo.

But of course, Dark Souls wasn't constantly remade to pander to social media.

Plus, From's been doing that since the original King's Field since the King's Field games gave you more-or-less what amounted to a lore item where you could use it and it'd tell you about your current area, or if you're near a monster or npc, it'd tell you about them instead. I remember KF2 having an npc who would give you descriptions of items you show to her as well, dunno if that was in KF1 or 3. There was always this background story that was there to hunt for if you cared enough to do so.

Same deal with the Metroid Prime games, though less so with 3.

Both obviously did it better than Hello Neighbour.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So, coupled with the video, can we assume that Cassette Guy is Henry from the novels?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ZearothK posted:

Icepick Lodge is one of very few studios that have characters actually lying to players, that I know of. In most games characters lying to the PCs are just setting up a "aha! I have betrayed/used you!" confrontation later on. Both Pathologic and The Void have NPCs lying to the player just because they don't want you to know something or to keep appearances or whatever and it's not unusual for that not to come as a specific plot point later, this is specially evident when playing multiple characters in Pathologic as you see the different facets NPCs present to different people.

A few pages back, but: This really sells me on this, so thank you. I gotta check it out.

FF7 is one of my favorite RPGs for exactly this reason - so much of the game is spent lying to you, but trusting that you'll figure it all out and piece it all together despite that - or at least recognize that you'll never know the full truth and will have to muddle through doing your best.

I like games that deceive me because the characters in the games are fallible or have their own motivations.

Also really looking forward to the Pathologic remake, been avoiding my desire to play the original knowing its coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, coupled with the video, can we assume that Cassette Guy is Henry from the novels?

No clue, I don't follow the series at all. I just snipped images from the video.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is the early theory and frankly I have no idea why other than it seems the most “obvious” even though Scott has said in the past the novels are a “reimagining” and aren’t necessarily in line with the games in terms of story.

For the blissfully ignorant, the first FNaF YA book introduces the idea that William Afton had a partner, Henry (no last name given). Henry was the designer and engineer and Afton the businessman. The story follows Henry’s 17-18 yo daughter Charlie; the whole gestalt of the derelict pizzeria and child murders are presented as something that happened around her in early childhood, now causing her to seek and face those truths as she enters adulthood.

If Cassette Guy is Henry is anyone’s guess: (book spoilers)Henry commits suicide while Charlie is still very young. This is in part because Charlie’s twin brother Sam was Afton’s first victim, something Henry didn’t suspect at first. Again, the books are a reimagining so it’s not impossible but eh? It’s a video game!

I’m more interested in the voice acting and direction of Cassette Guy than anything. He’s reminiscent of Rod Serling and despite talking about some awful events seems extremely unemotional. That’s got to be on purpose, but why?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
So I pushed through John Wolfe doing a full play through of Doki Doki Literature Club. By the time it ended I was like, "That's it?" John didn't seem too impressed either. I've seen this twist before and done much better. I'm just throwing out a guess but I'm imagining the type of person that is into these anime school girl visual novels picking this up and being legitimately taken off guard by the turn of events. Other than that if you're going into this knowing it's horror you'd be setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. The one good thing is all these scream cam guys being bugged to death by their audience to play it. All the comments are so excited for them to get to "THAT PART" and "Omg he's almost there guys" as if it's some mind blowing thing that's worth two hours of generic anime flirting.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

What games would you say have done it better?

Flubby posted:

I'm just throwing out a guess but I'm imagining the type of person that is into these anime school girl visual novels picking this up and being legitimately taken off guard by the turn of events.

It's very much this, the impact is dependent on how much you engage with the mundane parts. I think DDLC got sold to a lot of people as a visual novel for people who hate visual novels, when in fact it's a very short, very meta visual novel with a lot to say about the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would say it's difficult not to be taken by surprise because the numerous content warnings on the page alone point to it being not-another-dating-sim.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cassette Guy's voice and acting are so dreamy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

? I might have to watch a FNaF game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poptart_fairy posted:

As much as I love Scott's "awkward dude leaving a voicemail" direction, he's absolutely been knocking it out of the park with voice talent since Sister Location :allears: Even Springtrap's brutally hammy "HOW can I RESISSSSSST.... A PROMISSSSE... such as THISSSSS..." sounds phenominal just from the gusto behind it :allears::allears::allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

What games would you say have done it better?

Well, Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi and Irisu Syndrome both do elements of DDLC already, if that's what he means. It's not original, but it's very good and the characters are well written, I think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

visual novels that get all meta and have things to say about visual novels are for some reason most of the ones that are popular enough to get translated into english

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

lets hang out posted:

visual novels that get all meta and have things to say about visual novels are for some reason most of the ones that are popular enough to get translated into english

It's because visual novels, are bad

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mmm reading is bad, yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

Mmm reading is bad, yeah

That is why people play visual novels instead of reading novels, yes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Multimedia is bad, yes

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's because visual novels, are bad

I'm not gonna lie, I came upon a Japanese horror VN a long while back and it seemed good as gently caress for as long as I could slog Google translating it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just play Saya no Uta.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just play Saya no Uta.

Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi is also a nitroplus game, if you like their stuff. It's not super long iirc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The thing is that the specific horror going on with DDLC is different than some of that other stuff. Yeah, stuff like Irisu Syndrome has the "check the files for stuff" thing but I don't think it specifically delves into the type of horror DDLC was going for, which is more or less a side character in a video game who has no major role in it suddenly being gifted with knowledge of their own existence and attempting to change everything in order to get a happy ending, with the changes failing and loving the game's code up, and the knowledge that this being may very well exist outside of the confines of the game as well and just wants to break free but otherwise can't.

We'll have to wait to see if the ARG-type stuff goes anywhere though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

anime is bad

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Doki Doki Literature Club isn't super original with it's... okay, well I'll just spoiler this whole post I guess:

It's not super original with the idea of being a meta-horror creepypasta or whatever, but what sets it pretty high for me is how brutally and accurately it portrays Sayori's depression, including the main characters terrible but well-meaning reaction to hearing about it. From Sayori's second poem on there's a sense of helplessness with her, like you know she's not OK but there's nothing you can do about it. From what I understand a lot of dating sims have characters that have issues the PC has to fix, so presenting something like depression in a more realistic light where "Love Conquers All~" doesn't loving work and potentially just makes things worse is what makes the game stand out to me. Outside of Sayori's suicide I don't really think much of the rest of the game was effective but I still found the second half to be a pretty fun ride, and the revelation that Monika was removing everyone's inhibitions to intensify their issues was pretty cool.

Obviously if it's super hyped up like "DUDE THIS GAME IS SO HORRIFYING HOLY poo poo :O!" then yeah you're going to be disappointed, but I think the game pulls off what it tries to do pretty well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club isn't super original with it's... okay, well I'll just spoiler this whole post I guess:

It's not super original with the idea of being a meta-horror creepypasta or whatever, but what sets it pretty high for me is how brutally and accurately it portrays Sayori's depression, including the main characters terrible but well-meaning reaction to hearing about it. From Sayori's second poem on there's a sense of helplessness with her, like you know she's not OK but there's nothing you can do about it. From what I understand a lot of dating sims have characters that have issues the PC has to fix, so presenting something like depression in a more realistic light where "Love Conquers All~" doesn't loving work and potentially just makes things worse is what makes the game stand out to me. Outside of Sayori's suicide I don't really think much of the rest of the game was effective but I still found the second half to be a pretty fun ride, and the revelation that Monika was removing everyone's inhibitions to intensify their issues was pretty cool.

Obviously if it's super hyped up like "DUDE THIS GAME IS SO HORRIFYING HOLY poo poo :O!" then yeah you're going to be disappointed, but I think the game pulls off what it tries to do pretty well.

I think that that is one of its strongest features as well, though combined with the npc becoming self-aware stuff, it brings new context to various scenes, such as after completing the game and deleting Monika, Sayori ends up becoming the club president and it turns out that this role of club president is ultimately what causes the character to become self-aware, and Sayori is thankful for what you've done to try to get back to her because she now has access to all of the previous information regarding her existence and what has happened during it, such as her suicide, Monika convincing her to kill herself, Monika loving with the game code, etc. It's also interesting because you can delete Monika before you start the game and at that point, Sayori is the president and suddenly gains sentience without any of the previous knowledge related to it, and while Monika's reaction to sentience was to try to write her own ending and gently caress with the game, Sayori is still a depressed person whose gut reaction to "this world is fake and I only just started existing and this is all that there is" is to immediately kill herself to escape.

The concept isn't original but I thought it pulled it off well save for the fact that imo it takes way too long to get to that stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is fun because the Game Grumps LP is just Arin playing a long prank on Dan, and those guys can make even the most banal dating sim dialogue amusing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still think Natsuki's poem at the end of day 3 during route 2 is the most horrifying poo poo I've seen in a video game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is fun because the Game Grumps LP is just Arin playing a long prank on Dan, and those guys can make even the most banal dating sim dialogue amusing.

:barf:

Sitting through anything Game Grumps is horror in itself.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Danaru posted:

My understanding with regards to the toy animatronics in FNAF 2 is that the puppet hosed with their facial recognition. While well meaning, the puppet's still a ghost kid, so the puppet just understands it as "adults are evil because one killed me, so they want to kill other kids as well." I figure that's why the extremely haunted old animatronics act wildly differently from the toy ones who are just reprogrammed (Aside from toy freddy who I think acts the same as old freddy, it's not a perfect theory :v:)

There's also apparently a secret ending in Pizzeria Simulator involving Egg Baby. If you have it in the pizzeria and do some specific poo poo, you can find Henry talking about some of the poo poo Afton's done, including a substance called "Remnant" which is implied to be why the animatronics get haunted, Afton was PURPOSELY trapping souls inside the animatronics. You can find the ending and the blueprints here, I can't find a clean picture of any of the blueprints without some jackass' face mugging and screaming over them. It also explains why Michael Afton didn't die despite being scooped, since the "SCUP"er injects it's victim with Remnant, the guy is basically haunting his own machinery filled corpse.

So this is what happens with most people involved in this UMBRELLA sized Chuck E. Cheese conglomerate? They either get too close to a robot hungry for souls and get murdered/roboticized or they stumble on their dark secrets and are "removed"? God help us if he wants to make a Pizzaria Insane Asylum next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I used to love playing horror games way back in the day, but ever since I switched away from my ancient CRT monitor I've found myself unable to get properly in the mood. Most of the dark places in games just look like a gray mess instead of the pitch-black pits of terror that they're supposed to be and it keeps me from getting properly immersed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a monitor that is actually capable of being dark? I know that modern monitors can't do darkness as well as the old CRTs, but surely there must be something out there that's at least passable.