Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

shoot, I think a splat Summoner would be a sleeper in a 1v1 tourney

Splat summoners are a load of fun. I like mine a lot. I haven't been playing much though.

Trauma Tank, so really, winners should have 3+ mechs to cycle between in case of a win streak continuing/keeping the crown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Kill it with flamers.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Kill it with flamers.

Just In case you missed the last page, last post edit:

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2017

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

art

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Ash Rose posted:

Just In case you missed the last page, last post edit:

Whats the issue here? Take that one black deckal on the nose... It can be rotated right? Just flip it upside down, place on one side of the "nose" and place the same deckal on the other side of the nose. Badabing, Wario'stache

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Stringbean posted:

Whats the issue here? Take that one black deckal on the nose... It can be rotated right? Just flip it upside down, place on one side of the "nose" and place the same deckal on the other side of the nose. Badabing, Wario'stache

The whole nose and zig-zig stache is one single deckal.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0MmjraKbo

Well holy poo poo, Solaris mode, 1v1s, 2v2s, and George Ledoux. All out of nowhere.

I'm hype.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm tentatively excited for the Solaris stuff, but it's going to depend on implementation. For example, every mech variant is assigned a tier 1-8 and only fights against other mechs in its tier. I am not even a little confident that PGI is going to do well at picking which mechs should be where, so it might well devolve into just one mech in every tier in every match. There's still a lot that could go wrong.

Still, they're trying to put in patrons, sponsorships, cosmetics, Ledoux, etc etc; it's clear that they want to do this right instead of half-assing it. Here's to hoping that the implementation doesn't suck.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

Well holy poo poo, Solaris mode, 1v1s, 2v2s, and George Ledoux. All out of nowhere.

I'm hype.

Kodiak with a hatchet at 3:20.

hmmm.

I somewhat suspect the sun spider is a model being made for hairbraned, and just re-used because if you have it why not.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
They said MW5 is going to have 4 person co op for the campaign. This is definitely getting more interesting.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

TheParadigm posted:

I somewhat suspect the sun spider is a model being made for hairbraned, and just re-used because if you have it why not.

Why would Harebrained want a 70 ton Clan Omnimech? If something showed up specifically made for them I'd expect it to be either the Wasp/Stinger twins or a Hatchetman.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Iunno. Something about its aesthetics. Seems small for a 70 tonner. Just because its an omni in one game doesn't mean its the same source in another. It'd be kind of like the ultimate camoflage when it shows up elsewhere.

That and giving away new heros for christmas seems like an incredibly un-pgi like maneuver.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah this holiday gift seems extremely generous, by any f2p game standards. MWO has pretty good event rewards as well as stuff like loyalty mechs. I wish other f2p games I play were as good about that.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm hype.

HYYYYYYYPE! I can't believe PGI made this, it looks....perfect, everything I ever wanted.

TheParadigm posted:

Splat summoners are a load of fun. I like mine a lot. I haven't been playing much though.

Trauma Tank, so really, winners should have 3+ mechs to cycle between in case of a win streak continuing/keeping the crown?

Yes, at least 3 different mechs are needed if you are planning on winning, with some exceptions if you're a beginner and don't have many mechs. A word of advice though, 1v1 is a whole different game than QP, some mechs that are really good in QP are pretty bad in 1v1, I suggest some training rounds if you never done it before.

Good Feels: Crushing Clunchos Banshee with my WHM-6D rocking an XL :a2m:
Bad Feels: Getting my TDR-5SS headshotted by Ash in his own TDR-5SS (both rocking MPLs) :cry:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solaris looks cool, but I have no idea how they're going to keep it from being dominated by a handful of optimized mechs. Take this BSW-1X as an example. The only medium that beat it in a straight 1v1 is another BSW-1X. Every other weight class has similar mechs and loud-outs that abuse survival quirks, pinpoint damage, and dead side tanking to completely outclass other builds.

Now, I'm okay with those mech existing, and they do say that they'll be breaking mechs up into Tiers based on build performance, buuuuuuut I'm not sure I trust PGI to divvy things up effectively and I expect the wailing and gnashing of teeth reach all new heights.

Edit: Oh, ohhhhh, taking another look at the trailer it seems like there's no customization and it's the existing mech variants that're parceled out into the various tiers. That makes a lot more sense for keeping the mode balanced. Cool.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 11, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Solaris looks cool, but I have no idea how they're going to keep it from being dominated by a handful of optimized mechs. Take this BSW-1X as an example. The only medium that beat it in a straight 1v1 is another BSW-1X. Every other weight class has similar mechs and loud-outs that abuse survival quirks, pinpoint damage, and dead side tanking to completely outclass other builds.

Now, I'm okay with those mech existing, and they do say that they'll be breaking mechs up into Tiers based on build performance, buuuuuuut I'm not sure I trust PGI to divvy things up effectively and I expect the wailing and gnashing of teeth reach all new heights.

Edit: Oh, ohhhhh, taking another look at the trailer it seems like there's no customization and it's the existing mech variants that're parceled out into the various tiers. That makes a lot more sense for keeping the mode balanced. Cool.

WHAT?! No build customization? That.....sucks. Like that destroys the whole thing. I would have no problems with that BSW running around, just try to build something that specifically destroys it, just like in fighting games how there is character vs. character meta.

I seen those MW5 builds, they look loving stupid. 1 AC/5, 1 AC/2, a medium laser and a LRM15. gently caress OFFFFFFFFF. I want to show up in my 1xLBX20/6xSRM6 Mad Dog, don't care if everyone else is running gauss, I just want the choice to commit to the gimmick 100%.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The problem is, nothing beats that BSW-1X. I once watched bear_cl4w try and 1v1 someone running that build for more than an hour. Despite the pilot being inferior, Bear didn't win a single game until he switched to a mirror build.

It's all down to a quirk of how MWO does Damage Transfer. In the tabletop, any damage to a destroyed component gets transferred inward, i.e., Arm>ST>CT. Same deal in MWO, expect only 40% of damage transfers. If you hit a destroyed side torso with your 10 damage PPC, the target only takes 4 to their center torso. This provides a colossal stealth buff to survivability, and it's why twisting damage and dead-siding are so crucial.

I'd assume they made the change to lower TTK in 8v8 and 12v12, which make sense. People want to live long enough to shoot their guns, and I like that it rewards intelligent movement while under fire. However, there are also some significant implications for 1v1 duels because any mech with a solid dead-side can tank absurd amounts of damage if you pilot it well. And the only way to beat'um is to join'um because you are not going to win against a mech taking 60% less damage unless yours is as well.

The only way you fix that issue—in addition to myriad others—without rebuilding game balance from the ground up is to disallow custom builds in 1v1.

Edit: Like, if they left customization in they'd need some kind of algorithm to assess the stats on any given build, weighted by the chassis various intangibles, and then sort the mech into a tier. I'm not sure I'd trust any game designer, let alone PGI, to create something that complex. Players would suss out all the holes in jig time and abuse the ever living gently caress out of them. Locking builds to base variants means that you have a static roster to balance, and if any given mech is performing outside its assigned tier you can just bump it up or down as needed.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 11, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Put me down as tentatively excited for Solaris. I want to make my Dragon as ostentatious as possible. Gold cherub hood ornament please.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

The problem is, nothing beats that BSW-1X. I once watched bear_cl4w try and 1v1 someone running that build for more than an hour. Despite the pilot being inferior, Bear didn't win a single game until he switched to a mirror build.

It's all down to a quirk of how MWO does Damage Transfer. In the tabletop, any damage to a destroyed component gets transferred inward, i.e., Arm>ST>CT. Same deal in MWO, expect only 40% of damage transfers. If you hit a destroyed side torso with your 10 damage PPC, the target only takes 4 to their center torso. This provides a colossal stealth buff to survivability, and it's why twisting damage and dead-siding are so crucial.

I'd assume they made the change to lower TTK in 8v8 and 12v12, which make sense. People want to live long enough to shoot their guns, and I like that it rewards intelligent movement while under fire. However, there are also some significant implications for 1v1 duels because any mech with a solid dead-side can tank absurd amounts of damage if you pilot it well. And the only way to beat'um is to join'um because you are not going to win against a mech taking 60% less damage unless yours is as well.

The only way you fix that issue—in addition to myriad others—without rebuilding game balance from the ground up is to disallow custom builds in 1v1.

Yes, I totally understand the reasoning behind it. I mean when we do 1v1 it is pretty obvious that some mechs are incredibly more powerful than others despite having the same firepower/tonnage. But I have no faith in PGI making fun builds, absolutely none at all. I hope that some of the solaris stuff transfers to the private lobby thingy so that you can use the physical decals and stuff there.

Just imagine going 1vs1 in Solaris with your mech that has 20 rear armor, an IS XL and 1 of each laser. Im crying over here. Big ON1-IIC-A shaped tears.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Just imagine going 1vs1 in Solaris with your mech that has 20 rear armor, an IS XL and 1 of each laser. Im crying over here. Big ON1-IIC-A shaped tears.

But remember, when you do this your lovely mech will get matched against other lovely mechs. Honestly, I'd expect some of the best pilots in the game to revel in the Tier 1 "Trashcan Wars" to see who's the best of the worst.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

TheParadigm posted:

The way I have it written if you win and keep winning you will need a minimum of 4 mechs to cycle through, and I reserve the right to adjust that rule on the fly to keep things interesting if it starts to get stale. As Beefy (TiyvTompa) says though exceptions can be made if you have very few mechs.

TjyvTompa posted:

Good Feels: Crushing Clunchos Banshee with my WHM-6D rocking an XL :a2m:
Bad Feels: Getting my TDR-5SS headshotted by Ash in his own TDR-5SS (both rocking MPLs) :cry:

Good feels: Pushing Beefy's poo poo in repeatedly with my UM-K9 against what should have been far superior mechs.
Bad feels: how he always tries to paint himself as crushing me when bragging to others.

---

In the interest of clarity, I am looking at putting together this tournament THIS FRIDAY, so let me know if that works or doesn't work.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Do keep in mind that you're assuming they're grouping only mediums with mediums and so on, but Russ explicitly confirmed in other sources that the mechs are not ranked by weight class, just effectiveness. This means that we will probably see the AWS-8V and SDR-5V in the same tier bracket despite their wildly differing weights. Now, given the propensity of lights to suck in MWO there's a good chance that the underperformers brackets will be largely filled out with lights, but you'll see some dud heavies and assaults in there too probably.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about weight classes, just turbo optimized builds. But locking out customization nips that in the bud.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

But remember, when you do this your lovely mech will get matched against other lovely mechs. Honestly, I'd expect some of the best pilots in the game to revel in the Tier 1 "Trashcan Wars" to see who's the best of the worst.

It's not about winning. It's about winning in STYLE! And remember: The bigger the Boom The better the Style.
This is why me styling on you counts for everything in the world and the fact that you rolled me 3 times in a row counts for nothing. NOTHING!

But yeah I agree, it might actually work out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's also the matter of Seasons combined with Tiers will mean overly dominant Mechs will either get bumped up a Tier or retired.

I'll definitely give Solaris a try, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Hate to say it but Solaris7 seems pretty good.

Replace MWO with S7, plz thx in advanced.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Sunspider is a “designed for Mech Con” original, like the Roughneck was last year.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about weight classes, just turbo optimized builds. But locking out customization nips that in the bud.

What in the video makes you think they're going to be doing this stock-only? I didn't hear that at all, and I suspect the vast majority of the player base would hate that.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

TjyvTompa posted:

Bad Feels: Getting my TDR-5SS headshotted by Ash

To be fair I was aiming for the deckal and just kinda got lucky.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Welp gave the game another shot last night and actually had fun. KDK3 with 4 lbx10 still works in spite of the kodiak feeling like a giant sluggish turd. Thx for the wins guys

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Welp gave the game another shot last night and actually had fun. KDK3 with 4 lbx10 still works in spite of the kodiak feeling like a giant sluggish turd. Thx for the wins guys

A year ago that was one of the best robots, and it still is one f the better 100 ton robots.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

A year ago that was one of the best robots, and it still is one f the better 100 ton robots.

Now that's how you drat with faint praise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't played in a couple months so I'm just linking for context:
https://mwomercs.com/sun-spider

I thought that was a 20 ton light at first until I scrolled down.

Do I think it's any good? I don't really know or care too strongly. Looks okay I guess but to me its just another heavy that doesn't stand out.

I'd never play one because if I can't mount a single jump jet to avoid incredibly annoying situations then I don't want to know.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 12, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DancingShade posted:

Haven't played in a couple months so I'm just linking for context:
https://mwomercs.com/sun-spider

I thought that was a 20 ton light at first until I scrolled down.

Do I think it's any good? I don't really know or care too strongly. Looks okay I guess but to me its just another heavy that doesn't stand out.

I'd never play one because if I can't mount a single jump jet to avoid incredibly annoying situations then I don't want to know.

It's a PGI original just like the Roughneck and it looks pretty good I think. It is going to be able to have some cool builds on it, for example 1xLBX20+4xSRM6 or 2xUAC/10+4SRM4 or something. It is in good company with the other heavy clan omnimechs, I think it will be hard to gently caress this one up.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Also, patch notes are out: http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/12/1969-patch-notes-14143-12dec2017

Some highlights:

Panther
• All variants have received a moderate increase to Mobility.
Cicada
• All variants have received a moderate increase to Mobility.

Uziel
• All variants have received a +10% Weapon Range Quirk.
• All variants have received a light increase to Mobility.

Orion :eyepop:
• All variants have received a -10% Weapon Heat Gen Quirk.
• Existing Energy and Missile Heat Gen Quirks on the ON1-M and ON1-VA have been phased out with the rollover into the global Heat Gen Quirk listed above.

Zeus
• All variants have received a -10% Weapon Heat Gen Quirk.
• Existing Energy and Missile Heat Gen Quirks on the ZEU-6T, ZEU-9S, ZEU-9S2, and ZEU-SK have been phased out with the rollover into the global Heat Gen Quirk.

Some MG nerfs, I would assume in preparation for the Piranha. Also a heavy MG buff, nice.

quote:

Heavy Machine Gun
• Spread reduced to 1 (from 1.1)
• Range Increased to 100 (from 80)
• Max Range Increased to 200 (from 180)
• Crit Multiplier increased to 7 (from 6)

Clan Light Machine Gun
• Spread Increased to 0.7 (from 0.5)
• Crit Multiplier reduced to 8 (from 9)

Clan Machine Gun
• Spread Increased to 0.84 (from 0.6)
• Crit Multiplier reduced to 8 (from 9)

Clan Heavy Machine Gun
• Spread increased to 1.3 (from 1.1)
• Range Increased to 100 (from 80)
• Max Range increased to 200 (from 160)

Clan ER Large Laser
• Heat increased to 10.8 (from 10)
• Cooldown increased to 4 (from 3.75)

Not sure what to think of this, cERL is one of those weapons I never use.

And here comes the worst part about the patch, they fixed the Atlas Pimp-Limp:
• Atlas [all variants]: Fixed an issue where the Atlas animation would occasionally appear to jump forward a bit while running.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Last clan mech I used a lot before discovering the sheer joy of the K9 was a Shadow Cat with 2 clan heavy lasers and 6 light clan MGs. The MG nerf will hurt but will still be workable.

It's no coincidence it only got patched in after the Piranha orders went in though. Hope nobody paid for that and didn't see the nerf coming right after.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wow, the 6ML cicada was already one of the best medium mechs you could field imo. That thing getting ~20% more accel/decel and a 10% better turn speed is an absolutely huge buff, especially with the way that it's to base stats and the skill tree interacts with its %s on those.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DancingShade posted:

Last clan mech I used a lot before discovering the sheer joy of the K9 was a Shadow Cat with 2 clan heavy lasers and 6 light clan MGs. The MG nerf will hurt but will still be workable.

It's no coincidence it only got patched in after the Piranha orders went in though. Hope nobody paid for that and didn't see the nerf coming right after.

Everyone understood that there would be a MG nerf coming before the Piranha release, especially with the Crit Lynx running wild. Still bought it, it is going to be a beast no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
The most interesting snippet of patchnotes is:

• Quickdraw [QKD-4H]: Fixed an issue where a second NARC in the LT would appear to have 10 missile pods rather than 1.

Is it worth asking how they found that issue?

• Locked thread