Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Downloaded it and flipped on experimental and yep, the popin is still quite extreme on a SSD and a brand new save. Sad!

Edit: I hope the end result of this game is kinda moddable so the community can fix all the crap design decisions, but the popin is probably here to stay now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Kinda blows because the mushroom forest at night with no lights is probably one of the best views in the game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dyz posted:

Kinda blows because the mushroom forest at night with no lights is probably one of the best views in the game.

When you aren't constantly being aggro'd by an aggressive creature encounter rate three times higher than Minecraft at night.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPMi0Zqfqow

What the poo poo. WHY ARE YOU MAKING IT WORSE

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao what the gently caress are they doing

fix the horrible pop-in and lag? nah gently caress it just throw a blur filter on the graphics because ???

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ambient occlusion is good addition, but seems like it's SSAO instead of better working one like HBAO+. Still no good anti aliasing though?

Bloom and dof are nice too, although I don't think dof works that well for clear water like here:

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 7, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:lol: the absolute mad men

"slap a blur filter on it and call it an update"
"please dont notice that we are shipping the game with lovely performance and terminal popin"

I kinda like the way it looks tho.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In this game, better graphics for me means "more optimized" not "better-looking" and I really hope this is a result of the people they hired to optimize the game getting it running a lot smoother across the board so that it isn't doing multiple blocking disk reads a second

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Digirat posted:

In this game, better graphics for me means "more optimized" not "better-looking" and I really hope this is a result of the people they hired to optimize the game getting it running a lot smoother across the board so that it isn't doing multiple blocking disk reads a second

Are any of the performance issues GPU perf related at all? I would think they can bolt even more stuff on that runs on GPU without affecting the performance on any but the lowest end machines.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Digirat posted:

i mean if that's the case, awesome, but why would they then release this trailer

i really want this game to be good but over time my faith in these devs has been eroded to no

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
an additional blur filter is going to look great on my already low res and blurry rift

someone pull their hands away from the keyboard for the game's own good

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Holy poo poo that looks horrible. I'm starting to think everyone might be better off if they keep failing at releasing this whatever the gently caress it is

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Apparently the Aleterra's fabricators no longer include the plans for anti-fog gel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not enormously impressed by these "fixes" honestly.

"One big graphics improvement is actually a bug-fix in disguise. Sun-shafts are now properly hidden by shadows. This used to be a big problem inside bases, particularly ones with long corridors."

Occasionally.

Somewhat ironically the bugfix for god ray clipping also has rather severe pop-in :v:

Also doesn't work on headlights:

Wooooooooooo it's a ghooost base.

Wait no now it's a slightly less ghostly but more disembodied base.

Didn't there used to be aUUUUUUUUUU

UUUUUUUUUUgghhhhn. Oh, there it is.

Well home at last I guess I'll...

Alright then... I guess I'll try and slee-

Or maybe mr z buffer skeltal will keep me awake by peeping at me all night.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 7, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Played with the changes a bit now. Turned up all the new graphics and ehh. It looks a bit nicer, but its just darker and blurrier. It's gonna have to be A LOT darker and blurrier to hide the pop-in tho :q:

Edit: Something positive tho: the modders have started to organize themselves, made a discord and everything. They seemed relatively positive when i popped my head in there for a few minutes to lurk.
Remains to be seen if the devs give the game Workshop integration tho. "200% extra Seamoth power mods interfere with the narrative and our vision :qq:"

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 7, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Can you link the discord? I’m curious

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does this work?

https://discord.gg/7SDnqjA

Edit: seems like it works

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tried the discord before and whoever was there refused to acknowledge the problem could be fixed. Tried to blame players poo poo pcs.

Is there a link to confirm they've hired staff to fix it? Dead game otherwise

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I actually like the look of the changes, I always turn on camera effects like DOF bloom and dirty lens :shobon: They're just not what the game needs to be release-ready

Sininu posted:

Are any of the performance issues GPU perf related at all? I would think they can bolt even more stuff on that runs on GPU without affecting the performance on any but the lowest end machines.

The frame rate is already not great on a 970 on medium settings (ignoring disk read hitches, it rarely hits 60) and if they make any changes that require more VRAM usage I could see the hitching getting worse too. GPU stuff isn't the elephant in the room but it matters.

This is less worrying than a lot of things they could have done but unless some huge optimizations come in I am wary of anything that makes the game more resource intensive in any way

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe i was just unlucky, but i started a new game and i could hardly find any quartz, it used to be almost as common as titanium.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hey, my snarky comment got a reply

https://twitter.com/SylvainHel/status/938872312434167808

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Oasx posted:

Maybe i was just unlucky, but i started a new game and i could hardly find any quartz, it used to be almost as common as titanium.

Look in caves.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Hmmm interesting...

Subnautica Developer on Steam posted:

Hey everyone,

It looks like we didn't really promote our latest video very well. We've been spending the vast majority of our time on bug-fixes and performance, but our update video focused on the graphical options we added. This made it look like we spent the last month on the wrong things. Further, the video itself didn't show the options in a very good light, usually being unnoticeable or looking worse in the before and after.

I just wanted to write this note to let you guys know that we know we didn't do a very good job here. We're sorry about that and a bit embarrassed as well. I think we are going to chalk this up to our mad rush to get the game in tip-top shape for the January v1.0 release.

We DID fix hundreds of bugs in this patch, and this was the bulk of our work on it, but that wasn't the focus of the video so most people didn't see that. We chose the wrong name, focused on the wrong things for the video and then didn't do a good job actually explaining it.

Sorry to let you guys down! We'll do better next time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mister Facetious posted:

When you aren't constantly being aggro'd by an aggressive creature encounter rate three times higher than Minecraft at night.

One thing I would like would be that if I zap a bone shark with the seamoth's wildlife repellent thing, it fucks right off for more than 2 seconds before deciding to go back to headbutting me.

The game really goes out of its way to disincentivize you from murdering the wildlife. You can't get stalker teeth by killing stalkers, or any other resources beyond turning the smaller ones into food/water. The majority of weaponry just stuns or disables, it takes about eighty knife hits to kill so much as a belligerent crab. So why make every last one of 'em so drat angry all the time? When some weird monster of the deep latches onto your sub because the lights were shining, it's still a hassle whether it's trying to eat it or mate with it. Except with the latter maybe you're a bit more sympathetic about its existence before slamming the taser button.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They replaced the dive reel with breadcrumbs of light so you can find your way out. That's pretty neat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lol if you get out of the seamoth while driving forward it runs you over like it's a Battlefield vehicle

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's been the case for a while

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoy that the best way to get rid of giant sea abominations you accidentally breed in your aquarium is to pick them up and put them in the trash

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"accidentally".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I enjoy that the best way to get rid of giant sea abominations you accidentally breed in your aquarium is to pick them up and put them in the trash
A whole lot of silly decisions and dropping the ball on technical competence would be forgiven if they just allow me to directly flush the contents of an aquarium into a bio reactor placed in a room above or below it.

Bonus points if it plays "Powerhouse" while doing so.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 10, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They can't even get what they want to get done... let alone get quality of life improvements in.

Unless it's Cyclops fire minigame bullshit. Somehow they found time for that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

They can't even get what they want to get done... let alone get quality of life improvements in.

Unless it's Cyclops fire minigame bullshit. Somehow they found time for that.

The cycle of problem solving.
1: Will be fixed before launch.
2: Ooops turns out that's impossible to fix unless Mister Unity fixes it for us. That's gamedev.
3: We're 10 year vets, stop being so negative we can totally fix it after all.

Go to 1.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Subnautica turned out to be the prime example for me of a early access game that got developed in a circlejerk echochamber of people screaming "reeeeEEE reeeEEEEALISM" and "make it harder, more frustrating!". And then for some reason they catered to those people.

It's really interesting, but it's a shame it had to happen to such a promising game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game runs a hell of a lot better on my new system and I'm far enough into a save that I don't think it's going to get worse than occasional microstuttering and very rare hitching (which has gotten more common as my save has aged, as usual, but nothing even close to what it was like on a hard drive with 8 GB RAM). I don't think you should need a system that costs four figures to run this game acceptably and that performance still needs to be their top priority, but it's nice that you can brute force past it with better hardware. They're never going to get it running on consoles if they don't improve this. (Not sure if consoles are a goal of theirs but they'd be missing out if they didn't do console versions as I think this would be a fine couch game)

Unfortunately the pop-in is still really noticeable, and anytime I'm in a vehicle, a bunch of stuff such as the wreckage at the front of the aurora renders at any distance so I constantly see ugly brown stuff rendering through the fog with no effects like DOF on it. I think it's something the eye candy update introduced. I'm sure that will be fixed but the pop-in remains another thing on the list of technical problems they still seem to be making no progress on.

As for the cyclops, I haven't taken it down into any of the hell zones yet so I don't know if they've made it any less of an obnoxious brick you have to babysit around enemies since I did hear they made bone sharks no longer attack it; but I did find it pretty hilarious that simply driving it forward for 20 seconds on the third speed now causes kickass psychedelic trance music to come thumping out of nowhere and makes the submarine suddenly explode into flames. They are really committed to making this thing a chore one way or another.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Digirat posted:

This game runs a hell of a lot better on my new system and I'm far enough into a save that I don't think it's going to get worse than occasional microstuttering and very rare hitching (which has gotten more common as my save has aged, as usual, but nothing even close to what it was like on a hard drive with 8 GB RAM). I don't think you should need a system that costs four figures to run this game acceptably and that performance still needs to be their top priority, but it's nice that you can brute force past it with better hardware. They're never going to get it running on consoles if they don't improve this. (Not sure if consoles are a goal of theirs but they'd be missing out if they didn't do console versions as I think this would be a fine couch game)

Unfortunately the pop-in is still really noticeable, and anytime I'm in a vehicle, a bunch of stuff such as the wreckage at the front of the aurora renders at any distance so I constantly see ugly brown stuff rendering through the fog with no effects like DOF on it. I think it's something the eye candy update introduced. I'm sure that will be fixed but the pop-in remains another thing on the list of technical problems they still seem to be making no progress on.

As for the cyclops, I haven't taken it down into any of the hell zones yet so I don't know if they've made it any less of an obnoxious brick you have to babysit around enemies since I did hear they made bone sharks no longer attack it; but I did find it pretty hilarious that simply driving it forward for 20 seconds on the third speed now causes kickass psychedelic trance music to come thumping out of nowhere and makes the submarine suddenly explode into flames. They are really committed to making this thing a chore one way or another.

Its on early access on xbone but i kinda doubt microsoft will certify it if it runs like garbage. Ark is on there too, i wonder whats gonna happen to those two when they declare it released. I remember microsoft wouldnt publish the payday updates because they were garbage and the dev kept throwing a bitchfit about it but they didnt give him a choice amd kept rejecting it and charging him to recertify it or whatever. It kinda pissed me off because hed talk all kinds of poo poo about microsoft on twitter and its like, buddy right now thats your business partner get your poo poo together. Its no wonder he bailed on that game and sold it off. I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of that drama the way these guys try and pass the buck. That or they just bone those customers and never update that version.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also a submarine catchimg on fire becuase it goes to fast is the dumbest poo poo ive ever heard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DogonCrook posted:

Its on early access on xbone but i kinda doubt microsoft will certify it if it runs like garbage. Ark is on there too, i wonder whats gonna happen to those two when they declare it released. I remember microsoft wouldnt publish the payday updates because they were garbage and the dev kept throwing a bitchfit about it but they didnt give him a choice amd kept rejecting it and charging him to recertify it or whatever. It kinda pissed me off because hed talk all kinds of poo poo about microsoft on twitter and its like, buddy right now thats your business partner get your poo poo together. Its no wonder he bailed on that game and sold it off. I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of that drama the way these guys try and pass the buck. That or they just bone those customers and never update that version.
Are Xbone players allowed to use cloud saves yet? Considering I heard they have some kind of limit like 500 megs per save, but right now my save is in the 1 gig range. Which is technically an improvement from the 2 gig range any reasonably played game would reach for much of the game's devcycle.

Only vague response I got from devs about such things (I don't got an Xbone myself), when I was talking about the bizarre choice of copy/pasting a 2 gigabyte folder into appdata every time you load your game at the time, was that "The Xbone version works differently"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Section Z posted:

Are Xbone players allowed to use cloud saves yet? Considering I heard they have some kind of limit like 500 megs per save, but right now my save is in the 1 gig range. Which is technically an improvement from the 2 gig range any reasonably played game would reach for much of the game's devcycle.

Only vague response I got from devs about such things (I don't got an Xbone myself), when I was talking about the bizarre choice of copy/pasting a 2 gigabyte folder into appdata every time you load your game at the time, was that "The Xbone version works differently"

I havent tried it. You can see the the save file size though. Im not near my xbox but all early access titles have have to have a free timed trial so it would be easy to check out whats going on. Pretty curious how it runs too. If nobody has it ill give it a shot at the end of the week when i get home and report back. If they get the performance fixed id totally buy it again on xbox. I have my complaints and all but its still a good game at its core. Its the performance that kills it for me and i have a feeling the console cersion is terrible. I tried like 5 mins of ark an noped out it was beyond bad.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The saves from complete playthroughs I've done on recent updates are topping out around 115mb-130mb.

Also the tweaks and improvements they have been doing have made the game more fun than it's been at any other time in its development. Pop-in (which is a huge negative) and some new graphical glitches with the latest update are the only things holding the game back at this point.

One big caveat is that I never build or do anything with the Cyclops. It doesn't have a real purpose and is a big waste of time. The game plays way better if you just forget it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm right in thinking the ocean is super loving cold right? Like it would be trivial to run the ocean through bits you'd want to keep cool?