Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it would go to whomever has the permanent core there, which i think is cologne. the emperor never gets provinces returned directly to him. anyway if the emperor tells you to return a province tell him to heck off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

it would go to whomever has the permanent core there, which i think is cologne. the emperor never gets provinces returned directly to him. anyway if the emperor tells you to return a province tell him to heck off

Yeah, I've never actually agreed before, so wasn't very clear on what could happen, and the province going to current OPM Cologne or to Austria would made a big difference for my future plans, you know? :v:

Based it on the below from the wiki:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Holy_Roman_Empire#Demand_unlawful_territory posted:

If the same province is taken twice by different or same nations the emperor takes ownership of that said province.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

When France owns the entire channel coast and is rivaled to England, it can take some time for Colonialism to spread to the mainland.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is there a 100% reliable way to be able to get religious rebels to spawn in a province, other than either having the exact same culture as that province or using the Dhimmi estate?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a 100% reliable way to be able to get religious rebels to spawn in a province, other than either having the exact same culture as that province or using the Dhimmi estate?

Putting a missionary there (and turning down maintenance to zero so it doesn't actually convert) makes it more likely I think.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If the province already has another rebel type with 10% or greater progress, you'll need to get it back down to zero progress before it can switch.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Assuming it's a conquered province, putting a missionary on it before the end of the month in which you take it should work

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Not a bad Lion of the North Run, I got Emp of the HRE, couldn't wait to get a drat female ruler so I could lose it and disband the HRE.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
pls take screenshots with the ingame tool button F11 :ohdear:
Otherwise really nice. Lion of the North is on my list of achieves to do but I played Sweden so much in EU3 so hard to motivate

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Groogy posted:

pls take screenshots with the ingame tool button F11 :ohdear:
Otherwise really nice. Lion of the North is on my list of achieves to do but I played Sweden so much in EU3 so hard to motivate

I ended up taking what France had in southern England before the game ended. I did beat the Catholics when I got Sweden is overpowered, but I didn't know how to start the holy war at that time. This time I took a lot more land.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Groogy, any chance of a rethink on how siege leadership gets assigned? I just had a pretty frustrating experience when I marched my main siege stack onto a fort that my vassal was squatting on with 5k troops and then they decided to assault while the main enemy stack was 2 provinces away. I took a whole bunch of casualties in the assault and my morale was left at about 20% of the bar. Enemy stack jumps me before I can move away and there goes 7% war score. It doesn't make any sense that a tiny stack can force a huge one to assault with them, especially when said tiny stack is my vassal.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Uziduke posted:

Not a bad Lion of the North Run, I got Emp of the HRE, couldn't wait to get a drat female ruler so I could lose it and disband the HRE.

What's up with the one half of Iceland looking uncolonized?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

MorphineMike posted:

Assuming it's a conquered province, putting a missionary on it before the end of the month in which you take it should work

I wasn't sure if this always works but I'll give it a go

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pellisworth posted:

You can go over your colony limit by recalling early but that's almost certainly a bad return on investment. Colonizing in general has a very long-term payoff.

It quickly gets very expensive, that's for sure. I only like to do it if it's necessary to immediately urinate on some territory to block off strategically important provinces from the competition (such as getting to Lesser Namaqualand or whatever first, so you can have a chance to block off the southern tip of Africa and win the spice trade race).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

THE BAR posted:

huge slam on the scots out of nowhere

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just had one of my armies walk straight through an enemy fort (into ally owned land, which might be why it was OK?) but then I couldn't go back the way I came without any provinces having changed ownership. Intuitive!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

THE BAR posted:

Looks like it's what remains of Norway. I like playing Norway, but I'm not really fond of the grey colour.

*Edit*

On closer inspection it looks like it could be the yellow color from Scotland too, it's kind of hard to tell the difference from the screenshot.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Wafflecopper posted:

Groogy, any chance of a rethink on how siege leadership gets assigned? I just had a pretty frustrating experience when I marched my main siege stack onto a fort that my vassal was squatting on with 5k troops and then they decided to assault while the main enemy stack was 2 provinces away. I took a whole bunch of casualties in the assault and my morale was left at about 20% of the bar. Enemy stack jumps me before I can move away and there goes 7% war score. It doesn't make any sense that a tiny stack can force a huge one to assault with them, especially when said tiny stack is my vassal.

Nooo, this is a great way to keep vassal power in check.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wafflecopper posted:

I think this is more an issue of you shouldn't be able to force allied troops to assault, than it is an issue of siege leadership. The current system is one of your only ways to keep temporary allies from taking provinces you don't want them to have, or managing multiple front wars/carpet sieging when there's a danger that a third party might declare on your target.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Playing mid-game Ottomans and wondering if I should go after Spain now that I am bumping into Ming on the eastern front. Will Spain's colonies ship soldiers back to Europe? Or do they stay on their respective continent?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

oddium posted:

huge slam on the scots out of nowhere
Scotland was down to one provis, and due to France kicking England's rear end, Scotland took a bunch provis back, plus more.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

mobius42 posted:

Playing mid-game Ottomans and wondering if I should go after Spain now that I am bumping into Ming on the eastern front. Will Spain's colonies ship soldiers back to Europe? Or do they stay on their respective continent?

Colonial nations will keep their armies in the new world but may send their navies over to cause trouble.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well what do you know, I just started a Muscovy run to see if that felt any different under 1.23, and already in December of 1444 the Poles decided to go with a local noble. Best Christmas present ever!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Any tips for African Power (control all of Africa as Kongo)? Stay Fetishist or convert to Christianity? Reform government first or rush Exploration?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Any tips for African Power (control all of Africa as Kongo)? Stay Fetishist or convert to Christianity? Reform government first or rush Exploration?

Definitely pick up Exploration first, you want to get as many 12+ development coastal provinces as you can before 1500 to maximize your chance of spawning Colonialism. Having a tribal government sucks, but you can hold off on it until your second or even third idea group.

I stayed Fetishist for my run, but I can see the advantage of switching to Christianity, and getting allies in Europe will help with the Ottoman endgame. There's also the third option of switching to Islam. I'd say it's mostly personal preference.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Groke posted:

Well what do you know, I just started a Muscovy run to see if that felt any different under 1.23, and already in December of 1444 the Poles decided to go with a local noble. Best Christmas present ever!

Or my last Sweden game, all three main Catholic PUs didn't happen. No Polland-Lith, Aust-Hung, or Castile-Arg. I crushed the Catholics by 1550.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

In my current game I can transfer ownership to a vassal, but then I can't transfer ownership back to myself. Has it always been like this? I could swear you could switch around who's occupying what freely. Like I can go Me --> Vassal 1 --> Vassal 2 --> Vassal 1, but never back to myself.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

In my current game I can transfer ownership to a vassal, but then I can't transfer ownership back to myself. Has it always been like this? I could swear you could switch around who's occupying what freely. Like I can go Me --> Vassal 1 --> Vassal 2 --> Vassal 1, but never back to myself.

There was SOME exploit apparently related to that or something, but sometimes you can transfer it over to a vassal with no interest/ability to core the province whatsoever and then THAT vassal will transfer it back to you.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh I mean like during a war, transfer occupation I should have said.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pretty sure you can’t do this, once the occupation is out of your hands you are at the mercy of the AI’s brilliant foreign policy thinktank.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

skasion posted:

Pretty sure you can’t do this, once the occupation is out of your hands you are at the mercy of the AI’s brilliant foreign policy thinktank.

Before the CoC you could transfer to your vassal and back to yourself all you wanted. I don't know if they changed it on purpose or if its a bug.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

785 hours in, and haven't played England yet. Are they fun?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Uziduke posted:

785 hours in, and haven't played England yet. Are they fun?

Depending on whether you choose to take over France or not, England is either a really fun hectic start that soon becomes insanely strong or a fun laid-back start that slowly becomes slightly less insanely strong.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Before the CoC you could transfer to your vassal and back to yourself all you wanted. I don't know if they changed it on purpose or if its a bug.

Must be a bug then, doesn't really make sense to not be able to tell your own vassal what to do. Plus you can still freely transfer occupation between 2 vassals.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah, and I meant during a war too. It's not totally reliable but I have had SOME success with transferring it from the vassal that currently has occupation to whatever vassal has least access to that front. A lot of the time that second vassal will THEMSELVES transfer the occupation over to you (might work better if you have it marked as a province of interest?)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

skasion posted:

Depending on whether you choose to take over France or not, England is either a really fun hectic start that soon becomes insanely strong or a fun laid-back start that slowly becomes slightly less insanely strong.

is it still like eu3 where you had to give up your french land at the start if you weren't going for total french destruction?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah it's pretty easy to hold on to it now. You're in a really good position to strangle France in the crib before they get too strong.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Must be a bug then, doesn't really make sense to not be able to tell your own vassal what to do. Plus you can still freely transfer occupation between 2 vassals.

Yeah, that's a known bug. Jake says it'll be fixed in the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My liege! If we combine our forces with those of our allies we will have a mighty 30k troops led by mediocre generals to go up against the enemies and their 40k led by vastly superior generals. Shall we declare war at once? :downs:

I hate having allies sometimes. I actually like helping them out in wars, if I have the manpower for it, but I can't stand when they want to make me get stackwiped and have all of my lands sieged down for however long it takes them to finally get that their war was effectively over a long time ago.