Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

AttackBacon posted:

Huge news regarding DLC for MHW: https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/940060116602175489 Confirmed that we WILL be receiving entirely new monsters in DLC. That's a first for the series and means the roster size at launch isn't nearly as much of a concern. Makes the game being updated entirely through DLC and not via G-rank re-releases more likely as well.

It's not totally unprecedented. White Fatalis was DLC exclusive in 4U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it does seem less. one thing that does still do it constantly is the rain shot from bows which some people spam all the time just to drive me crazy

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I did a stream with some friends and managed to end it with Rathalos throwing Anjanath off a cliff.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not totally unprecedented. White Fatalis was DLC exclusive in 4U.

On-disc DLC doesn't count

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
When it comes to "weapons that are good for new players", my top recommendation is still Lance. A ridiculously simple main combo string to prioritize, a shield mechanic to bunker down and just watch the monster without being hugely punished for it, the charge is now less of a deathtrap and has some decent opportunities to gapclose. The psychological aspect of lance as a weapon to dip your toes into is incredibly solid.

With the changes in mh:w, Dual Swords and Switch Axe are both incredibly easy to learn and don't demand much maintenance at all. Dual Swords is now "activate demon mode, push triangle until it's safe enough to demon combo, demon combo, fill red meter, stamina empties, red meter allows you to do *exactly the same thing* until your stamina refills. Circle button becomes a dodge that does damage." Honestly I think they maybe watered DS down a bit too much.

Switch Axe is a tiny bit more complicated than it used to be, but the priority system is still the same. Sword Mode until sword meter empties (though the best damage is no longer just mashing triangle, instead you want to throw in a couple of circles!!! big shock), use axe as the backup, and now when you fill your blue meter, focus on trying to elemental burst when your sword meter drops below the switch-able marker. There's some nuance to the axe but it's really not necessary for most things and gives new players less to worry about because it's a binary state with minimal overhead (is meter high enough to switch y/n y-> switch n-> otherwise keep slapping with axe or stop to reload)

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I've been messing about with Bows and there's some pretty crazy stuff they can do. A lot more depth than I first realized. There's a bunch of shortcuts into charges and some interesting attack strings. For instance, if you mash R2->R2->R2 you will rapidly fire a regular shot, level 1 charge shot, level 2 charge shot. This is actually more stamina and time efficient than holding R2 and just doing charged shots and it does significantly more damage. You can also chain power shot into arrow rain ad infinitum (until you run out of stamina) and if your initial power shot wasn't level 3, the subsequent chain will level up by 1 each shot. A pretty insane combo you can do at close range is just mashing circle. You'll do a quick shot then go into the power shot/arrow rain combo and you can put out an insane number of hits. I'd imagine it would be extremely good for stacking status, although arrow rain is fairly nightmarish for groups so maybe avoid it in party play. Another interesting thing is that dragon piercer seems to have levels as well, if it's performed from neutral it'll hit the training pillar for 18 whereas if you fire it after it gets up to the mid 20's.

Here's a sweet video of a dude demolishing Diablos with a bow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg7dQvjviW0

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

AttackBacon posted:

Here's a sweet video of a dude demolishing Diablos with a bow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg7dQvjviW0

Maybe it's because I've never been big on gunning in the past, or maybe it's because I'm always so focused on cutting the tail/breaking the horns, but are the wings Diablos' weakest point?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Olive! posted:

Maybe it's because I've never been big on gunning in the past, or maybe it's because I'm always so focused on cutting the tail/breaking the horns, but are the wings Diablos' weakest point?

Wings and base of his tail iirc.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Weak points used to depend on whether you're doing Cutting / Impact / Shot damage. For instance, Normal Rathian's head is her weak point for practically everything, but Gold Rathian's weak points were her wings and feet. Has that changed in World, or are they damage areas off the "Light, Heavy, Technical" system?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AttackBacon posted:

I've been messing about with Bows and there's some pretty crazy stuff they can do. A lot more depth than I first realized. There's a bunch of shortcuts into charges and some interesting attack strings. For instance, if you mash R2->R2->R2 you will rapidly fire a regular shot, level 1 charge shot, level 2 charge shot. This is actually more stamina and time efficient than holding R2 and just doing charged shots and it does significantly more damage. You can also chain power shot into arrow rain ad infinitum (until you run out of stamina) and if your initial power shot wasn't level 3, the subsequent chain will level up by 1 each shot. A pretty insane combo you can do at close range is just mashing circle. You'll do a quick shot then go into the power shot/arrow rain combo and you can put out an insane number of hits. I'd imagine it would be extremely good for stacking status, although arrow rain is fairly nightmarish for groups so maybe avoid it in party play. Another interesting thing is that dragon piercer seems to have levels as well, if it's performed from neutral it'll hit the training pillar for 18 whereas if you fire it after it gets up to the mid 20's.

sweet cuppin' cakes I need to give bow another chance. :stwoon:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, the bow is actually way improved. I couldn't stand the old bow play style but this new one with the R-sequence is much more fun instead of charge/run in a circle/fire.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Keep an eye out for...I forget exactly what they're called, something Lichi. They are little white things on the ground in several areas. If you grab em them they give you a really strong buff to your stamina: everything costs less and the bar recharges much faster. Playing bow or DS with that buff on is a loving amazing feeling. With good armor skills and/or a healthy supply of dash juice it's gonna be beyond fun. You are just dashing around everywhere blasting the poor monster in the face over and over.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Good bow video, I didn't realize charging affected that new shot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

Keep an eye out for...I forget exactly what they're called, something Lichi. They are little white things on the ground in several areas. If you grab em them they give you a really strong buff to your stamina: everything costs less and the bar recharges much faster. Playing bow or DS with that buff on is a loving amazing feeling. With good armor skills and/or a healthy supply of dash juice it's gonna be beyond fun. You are just dashing around everywhere blasting the poor monster in the face over and over.

itchy litchi; i had no idea what they did the one time i found 'em but a loading screen elucidated me and i'm sad i didn't take more advantage of 'em that one time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boz posted:

Good bow video, I didn't realize charging affected that new shot.

:stare: it does? how do you charge it, just hold r2 and hit triangle+circle while holding it?

is there an alternate control scheme for bow that might work better?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Never played Monster Hunter properly. Tried a 3DS one but hated the controls and tiny screen immensely. But this PS4 version has been pure gold. I spent most of yesterday playing it, and I keep thinking about the game at work. Can't remember when this last happened with a demo.

Guess I gotta buy the drat thing at release.

We had a failed Anjanath run with a buddy, because at the very end Rathalos did the same thing. Anjanath survived the fall, and we didn't make down to it in time. :argh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How many minutes would we normally have per hunt?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

45 I think? Can go up and down for certain things

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I think I'm gonna just keep on chugging along on IG. If that doesn't work I'll hammer it up. Thanks for the advice friends!
I have played MH a little before on the 3ds, but never got into it. The small screen and the way my hands for on a 3ds made it so I couldn't sit down to play for any more than a half hour. It's neat playing on a big screen

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
I've always been a hammerer with Lance/Dual/Longsword backups depending on need and the sole hunting horn for gathering for the heat/cold resistance. Never actually used range before. Might give it a shot this time.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

AttackBacon posted:

Great bow showcase video. I fired one for a bit in training but didn't consider just how mobile the charge-step makes you.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nechronic posted:

Great bow showcase video. I fired one for a bit in training but didn't consider just how mobile the charge-step makes you.

Its a fantastic change, given how range dependent bow damage can be. Giving bow tools to move into and stay into crit range is a great way to both make the playstyle more interesting, and improve what is traditionally loving garbage rear end damage without "that bow" that otherwise makes the weapon class not utterly unredeemable

Given, this doesn't mean the weapon class is somehow fixed, but good moves in the right direction I would say. I may give Bow another try as a "main". It has a lot of competition though. Lots of weapons look great in World.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reveal Nerscylla

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Did anyone find any items to make level 3 gunpowder with? After using spread and pierce 3, I reeeeeaally need to see how sticky and cluster 3 go. The cluster mortar feels so loving good to watch blow the gently caress out of a monster (and my team mates).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

The main downside for the LS is maximizing damage. Hitting a monster's weak zones is often three to four times more effective than hitting a resistant area. The LS has very wide slashes, attacks rapidly, and has a relatively high amount of innate movement in its attacks. All of this combines to make it relatively hard to get the majority of your attacks onto a weak zone. Compared to say, the GS, where the damage is extremely concentrated in single, precise instances. Since the LS is also more of a sustained damage weapon, rather than a bursty one, it doesn't take quite as good advantage of things like traps or status effects. There's also a bit of a multiplayer stigma attached to LS, in that it's sweeping Spirit Combo attacks are the premier tripping (wherein you hit and stagger your teammates) instrument in the game. Which is not a good thing.

That being said, I think the LS is one of the best starter weapons, if not the best. It has relatively simple mechanics (build meter with triangle, spend it with R2) and it's designed around its limitations, so you can be relatively effective just chopping away at a monster's ankles and flanks with the LS, whereas doing the same thing with a GS or something would take forever. It also has a lot of forgiveness built in due to its long reach and rapid attacks, making missing harder and less impactful per attack.

Don't be fooled into thinking it's a newbie weapon though, it has quite a bit of nuance to it once you get into it. Particularly with the new additions, the Spirit Helm Breaker and the Foresight Slash. Really maximizing damage with it is a bit of an art at high levels and once you get it down you can just dance around a monster, never ceasing your onslaught of blows. It's one of my particular favorites, especially for solo hunts, where I don't have to worry about irritating my teammates.

Thanks for this! I was just about to ask again whether the longsword is a newbie weapon or something before I saw this.

I really love the idea of Foresight Slash. I haven't given it a good tryout yet, but I always love counterattack moves. They always feel insanely cool to pull off.

I've been warned about longsword's tendency to trip people online so I might shy away from using it in group hunts until I'm really, really used to the spirit combo. Maybe I'll try to learn hunting horn or something, too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
use the homerun combo into spirit slash if you don't want to trip people up online

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
I gathered damage numbers from training for every weapon available in the beta, for the math enthusiasts out there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qM0ikQr2Idz59kKYgxVFp8jluebsPC_I7Dok7Dmj8ko/edit?usp=sharing

Leave a comment on the sheet if something's wrong.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Turns out you can capture monsters in the beta.
Capture happens at the 9 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVaCE0JLfWI

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Played with three friends in Japan, I'm in Sweden, not a hint of latency problems anywhere in any way. This makes me incredibly happy.

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Turns out you can capture monsters in the beta.
This game :haw:

Sleep Herb + Parashroom, back in I go

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 11, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jalisr posted:

I gathered damage numbers from training for every weapon available in the beta, for the math enthusiasts out there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qM0ikQr2Idz59kKYgxVFp8jluebsPC_I7Dok7Dmj8ko/edit?usp=sharing

Leave a comment on the sheet if something's wrong.

Kinda hosed up that the gunlance actually deals damage now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I was really looking forward to playing the beta this weekend, then stuff happened and I couldn't. :(

I still have two mote days though! As soon as I'm getting home I'm buying a ps+ sub and jumping in.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

Holy poo poo.

I was playing Bow like I did in 4U and Gen but apparently I was doing it completely wrong. I gotta try it out again tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"They named their Palico Miqo'te, what a dork," says the guy who named his Palico after his actual cat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, after that video I really gotta give bow a good try tonight. I'm just off a Horizon Zero Dawn binge so shooting gigantic beasts with a bow sounds like a really good time. I like the idea of using different arrow coatings for different effects, too.

Is there a good general guide to the importance of elements and status effects in Monster Hunter overall? They seem like a pretty big deal but so far I've only ever played demos, so I haven't had any real reason to interact with them too deeply. It seems like the ranged weapons have a big emphasis on that sort of thing?

Man, it's gonna be hard to decide which weapon to focus on when this game comes out. Bow? Longsword? Insect glaive? Switch axe? :ohdear:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Reveal Najarala

:colbert:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

"They named their Palico Miqo'te, what a dork," says the guy who named his Palico after his actual cat.

I always let my kids design/name these kinds of things.

Me: Girls, what should we name this cat?
5 year old: Name him Pussycat.
3 year old: Pussy!
In unison jumping up and down: NAME HIM PUSSY! PUSSY! PUSSY! PUSSY!
Me: We're naming her Sophia. Go ask mom for a snack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My felyne is named Dodd McTodd. Thank you for reading

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

Is there a good general guide to the importance of elements and status effects in Monster Hunter overall? They seem like a pretty big deal but so far I've only ever played demos, so I haven't had any real reason to interact with them too deeply. It seems like the ranged weapons have a big emphasis on that sort of thing?

Quicker weapons like Sword and Shield and Dual Blades are better for element and status. This is because they attack more times than slower weapons like Great Sword so they inflict element and status much quicker. With Great Sword it's better to focus on raw damage amount, with element being a bonus.

Light Bow Gun is the king of status effects. You can essentially lock down a monster for several minutes between Paralyze and Sleep shots. Bow is also decent at paralyzing/sleeping/poisoning the monster once a fight.

This is all based off past games. Elemental damage should work more or less the same but status might be up in the air with the addition of the slinger. Everyone in the demo has access to para and poison knives. Not sure how readily available those will be in the base game though. In past games you couldn't have then in your inventory to start a quest iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Kinda hosed up that the gunlance actually deals damage now.

Never trust how weapons compare in the demo. Especially the gunlance. The demo one has Normal lvl.3 shells which inflates a lot of its damage numbers.