Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
some conservative lady tweeted this

https://twitter.com/soph_warrener98/status/939217171116449792

owen jones mocked her a little bit with this tweet

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/939886011236192257

so she didn’t take it very well as broke brained conservatives who only like cold pocket memes do

https://twitter.com/soph_warrener98/status/939967447515492352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
extremely mild and over nothing british twitter drama

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
twitter tories are the worst

as if they give a poo poo about anti-semitism anyway

rededbacon.jpeg

https://twitter.com/voteforrudd/status/939998516910460928

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fridge corn posted:

My point is that violence and violent rhetoric isn't helpful for achieving your political aims in fact it may be detrimental

Violence comes in a lot more forms than talking about punching Nazis and guillotining the rich, chum. Right wing media and the Tory government practice violence every day in increasing hateful rhetoric about minorities and trying to dismantle the NHS, so its pretty disingenuous to say that leftists are starting the talk about violence here

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As much of a shower of poo poo the current generation of politicians are, imagine just how bad its going to be in 10/20 years time when they're all people talking about they struggled and survived the hardship of someone mocking their tweet by taking a selfie with a cat.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
he didn't even tag her

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
oh you think jokes are funny? typical ignorant labour

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MikeCrotch posted:

Violence comes in a lot more forms than talking about punching Nazis and guillotining the rich, chum. Right wing media and the Tory government practice violence every day in increasing hateful rhetoric about minorities and trying to dismantle the NHS, so its pretty disingenuous to say that leftists are starting the talk about violence here

I never said leftists started it 🤔?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

so she didn’t take it very well as broke brained conservatives who only like cold pocket memes do

lmao they're always such thin skinned babies

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
and yeah it is not really ok to continue voting for a party that through its policies has killed one hundred thousand of the most disadvantaged in society

you can be uninformed or willfully blind of that but it is not liking strawberry instead of chocolate

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've tried really hard but I just can't like Owen Jones. Comes off as really smug and sanctimonious imo

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/940181699304058880

the boyonomicon

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

fridge corn posted:

My point is that violence and violent rhetoric isn't helpful for achieving your political aims in fact it may be detrimental

even electoral politics is just violence by proxy

120,000 people have been killed by deliberate government policy in the UK over the space of 7 years. just because they weren't herded into ditches and shot doesn't make them any less dead

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you sitting on your rear end in the evening when you’re tired and finished work instead of running off and volunteering at the care home is violence, every second of it

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

people born in 1998 can vote now what the gently caress

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you sitting on your rear end in the evening when you’re tired and finished work instead of running off and volunteering at the care home is violence, every second of it

your posting is violence

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

My posting is violence, I am a Forums Soldier and I demand recognition from veterans organizations to that effect.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TomViolence posted:

even electoral politics is just violence by proxy

120,000 people have been killed by deliberate government policy in the UK over the space of 7 years. just because they weren't herded into ditches and shot doesn't make them any less dead

Im not denying that but it's not particularly relevant to my point. I'm struggling to see exactly what your argument is..

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

that's a particularly sick burn since i spent a good 18 months of my life holding down a full time job while helping care for an elderly relative who was making his last shuffling, befuddled steps off this mortal coil

but even if i hadn't done so, the structural violence actually taking place in your hypothetical is the situation in which people are expected to volunteer as carers out of altruism instead of get paid for it like any other worker

edit:

fridge corn posted:

Im not denying that but it's not particularly relevant to my point. I'm struggling to see exactly what your argument is..

You're going on about violent rhetoric and how it might not help us realise our political aims, I'm pointing to a way in which violent rhetoric (the conservative party's constant excoriation of the unemployed, sick, disabled and vulnerable in this country) has helped them achieve their aims (killing the sick and disabled)

but also, more seriously, i'm saying that politics has always been about doling out violence, or at the very least, being able to present a credible threat to the (class) enemy's material interests

TomViolence has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Dec 11, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
one of the coauthors of the BMJ open study claiming that 120k people died unnecessarily as a result of spending cuts and that advocates increases in spending is the founder of a private care company the NHS contracts

i’m totally pro giving more money to the NHS but that’s a pretty lol detail

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

TomViolence posted:

that's a particularly sick burn since i spent a good 18 months of my life holding down a full time job while helping care for an elderly relative who was making his last shuffling, befuddled steps off this mortal coil

but even if i hadn't done so, the structural violence actually taking place in your hypothetical is the situation in which people are expected to volunteer as carers out of altruism instead of get paid for it like any other worker

cool that doesn’t really make the claim that everything in politics is violence any less absurd though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TomViolence posted:

edit:

You're going on about violent rhetoric and how it might not help us realise our political aims, I'm pointing to a way in which violent rhetoric (the conservative party's constant excoriation of the unemployed, sick, disabled and vulnerable in this country) has helped them achieve their aims (killing the sick and disabled)

but also, more seriously, i'm saying that politics has always been about doling out violence, or at the very least, being able to present a credible threat to the (class) enemy's material interests

I don't think the Conservative partys explicit goal is to kill people. Its obviously a byproduct of their ideology and individual members' awareness or complicity in this regard is debatable and anyway it certainly isn't the stated goal of most average conservative voters.

But anyway you're saying the Conservative Partys violence is justification for your own? How are violent methods going to achieve your non violent (I assume) political goals?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

how *hyperventilation* dare you sir

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

I don't think the Conservative partys explicit goal is to kill people. Its obviously a byproduct of their ideology and individual members' awareness or complicity in this regard is debatable

You're wrong, and no, it simply is not debatable.

People died in Grenfell because the owner decided to buy the cheaper, flammable decorative cladding so the tinderbox that housed the exploited working class looked nicer for the rich estate owners around it. Many landlords are proud Tories, and under strict regulation, this entire tragedy was absolutely preventable. This same Tory government did everything they could to cover up the true number of lives lost and did everything they could to further ripoff the survivors who lost their homes and all of their belongings.

They absolutely deserve the hate they get.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

You're wrong, and no, it simply is not debatable.

People died in Grenfell because the owner decided to buy the cheaper, flammable decorative cladding so the tinderbox that housed the exploited working class looked nicer for the rich estate owners around it. Many landlords are proud Tories, and under strict regulation, this entire tragedy was absolutely preventable. This same Tory government did everything they could to cover up the true number of lives lost and did everything they could to further ripoff the survivors who lost their homes and all of their belongings.

They absolutely deserve the hate they get.

So you're saying the borough of Kensington and Chelsea bought the cladding to beautify the building and not to deliberately kill people? That's exactly what I am saying, the loss of life is not deliberate. Of course those responsible for the loss of life need to be held to account. Perhaps complicity was the wrong choice of word, maybe I should have consulted my thesaurus.

But this is getting way of track. You can hate the government all you want because at the end of the day you can vote them out. What isnt helpful is hating the people who voted them in

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bitmap posted:

how *hyperventilation* dare you sir

I think owen apologised for his CLEARLY NOT A JOKE cat tweet because he's the wimpiest fuckin dude ever.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I have a friend who votes Tory and we're still friends but I'm not gonna say I shouldn't constantly try to erode his willfull ignorance which leads to him voting for killing and impoverishing disabled people

It's super infuriating it's like

"I don't pay attention to politics but I think *something insane*"
"Well I do and it's not here's why"
"I'm not prepared to argue but i still think it is"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also I've got no idea why anyone would defend the tories and their contemptuous callousness Mr corn

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hakimashou posted:

There's all sorts of people in the world, what fun would it be if we were all the same?

I like him because of the columns of his that I've read. I think we have a lot of politics in common and he's provocative.

For example, I hadn't seen the problematic strain in twitter-age leftism nailed to the wall quite so perfectly as in his last column.

I'm distrustful of people who want to aggressively police what others think and say, and it's even more chilling when they form a mob. It's kin to the worst kind of authoritarianism, puritanism and orthodoxy.

I've chilled a bit towards Corbyn since the display he put on at the UN. I'm mainly just glad I'd never be in the position to have to hold my nose and vote for him. I don't envy you britons your political situation, even in this very dark age of Trump.

What policies do you think are in common? He doesn't actually seem to lay anything out all that often other than "Corbyn bad". And if you like provocative writing then more power to you, but this doesn't seem to be provocative in the sense of trying new things and thinking them through, instead it is "provocative" in the same way as saying a swearword, it may cause a shock the first time, but in the end it isn't really provoking things other than eye rolling past a certain point.

But Corbyn has, by your own measure, not done this, in fact he has argued against things that would have prevented people from saying things. So why do you agree with Nick Cohen who has backed returning people "suspected of" terrorism no matter what happens to them: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/05/comment.terrorism . Why is it only a mob when it is people poorer than you, and not when it comes from people richer, for instance?

All he is saying is "we need to build a world that works for everyone, not the wealthiest". I fail to see how this is creating a mob.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

cool that doesn’t really make the claim that everything in politics is violence any less absurd though
"power doesnt flow from the barrel of a gun" -- you

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

So when Clauswitz wrote "war is the continuation of policy by other means" he was merely being sarcastic?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

Also I've got no idea why anyone would defend the tories and their contemptuous callousness Mr corn

Im not and haven't ever defended them?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

"power doesnt flow from the barrel of a gun" -- you

Josef bugman posted:

So when Clauswitz wrote "war is the continuation of policy by other means" he was merely being sarcastic?

i too live in 19th century prussia

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i too live in 19th century prussia

the commies are coming :getin:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i mean in theory sure everything the state does is backed up by the implicit threat of violence much like you pissing on my shoes is backed up by the implicit acknowledgment that i will punch you in the gobber but in modern society we try to avoid escalating conflict all the way there

this is all of course entirely separate from claiming that “all politics is violence”, an entirely unhealthy personal attitude that is guaranteed to break your brain, denigrate victims of actual violence because you call everything you don’t like violence and also maybe even get you arrested if you decide to take it to its logical conclusion

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pound_Coin posted:

Labour: Fairly un-remarkable soc-dem platform, concentrating on infostructure investment and fairer taxation and a strong welfare state, all policies proven to work and work very well given the Human Development Index, Happiness and quality of life rankings given to the nordic states. Also against austerity as an ideological lie that cannot work (you can't cut your way out of debt). the only result of the last decade of austerity has been a massive increase in personal debt.

Conservatives: Morally bankrupt scum who have killed tens of thousands of people over the last decade, persue policies that we know DO NOT WORK, at a detriment to some of the most disadvantaged in society, have pushed hundreds of people to suicide, have driven the nations finances into the loving ground, called brexit then hosed it. responsable for deruglation of financial products and servies that lead directly to the 2008 crash. currently making us a loving laughing stock worldwide. Edit: responasble for a whole loving shopping list of human rights violations.

Libdems: somethingsomething gay frog milk

Wanting a small section of society to stop literally killing vast swathes of people just for personal profit is a cool and good mentality for a mob to have and mayhaps it is good that people against that get shouted down for being fuckwit thumb people.

Its not the labour platform i'd have to hold my nose for. Anti-american screeds at the UN aren't part of the labour platform are they?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i mean in theory sure everything the state does is backed up by the implicit threat of violence much like you pissing on my shoes is backed up by the implicit acknowledgment that i will punch you in the gobber but in modern society we try to avoid escalating conflict all the way there

this is all of course entirely separate from claiming that “all politics is violence”, an entirely unhealthy personal attitude that is guaranteed to break your brain, denigrate victims of actual violence because you call everything you don’t like violence and also maybe even get you arrested if you decide to take it to its logical conclusion

yeah i'd piss in your shoes when you weren't there i don't want you seeing my dick

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oll

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We should just get along and not worry about politics!

*immediately tries to score partisan points when someone makes a joke in response*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

nopantsjack posted:

When they kill thousands yearly it's just an inevitable byproduct of their policy not the primary goal, so really it's bad to be angry at them. *shits self, eats the poo poo*