Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm cool spending time talking to coworkers but meeting spaces are the loving worst place to do it. You typically have two or three people dominating the conversation. If you're not one to be assertive, you end up sitting there listening to boring people drone on about mundane bullshit. Once you tune them out all you can think about is the work you'd rather be getting done and time warps to an impossibly slow crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Company had a Christmas party today.

For food they had chicken, pulled pork, cheese potatoes and a lovely ice berg salad.

I don't eat meat. :suicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ratbert90 posted:

Company had a Christmas party today.

For food they had chicken, pulled pork, cheese potatoes and a lovely ice berg salad.

I don't eat meat. :suicide:

My wife has a dairy allergy. Her place of employment has had 3 catered and/or pot luck lunches since she started, and for all of them, literally everything had dairy in it somehow or some way. I don't kn ow how people managed to get dairy into literally every single dish that was served, but that might also explain why most of her coworkers are land whales.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Great, I have to help some fuckface new executive get on the VPN with her Mac this weekend, and she's God knows where.

Like, what do you even want me to do? It's not our machine, so I have no remote access. We also, for the millionth loving time, do not generally work with Macs. I don't even have one, so I can't even do a parallel install to see what might be the trouble. I can grope around with suggestions like installing antivirus, but to be honest if it doesn't work out I'm kind of lost and hanging in the breeze.

Is it really so much to ask for this person to come on site at least once so we can set them up? How about maybe someone telling us you're starting so we can coordinate something before after the close of business on Friday? Is it really necessary for you be working on the weekend 2 days after you start with nothing ready?

Also, we seem to hire about 3 or 4 new executives a week. That's all this shithole ever hires. Director of this, director of that. When are you guys going to hire people to actually you know, do some work? Every department here is understaffed.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 9, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

People who keep ending up with meeting where everyone else is wasting scheduled time smalltalking, have you tried... nudging the talk back on track? "Hey just to confirm, this meeting was for planning an upgrade to Contoso BorgLib version 45, right? Has anyone read the changelogs and found any points that need specific attention?"
If someone puts you down for asking an on-topic question and then resumes smalltalk, then you're probably justified in leaving.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm on a department head's poo poo list from doing that. However, this is the kind of guy who is utterly incapable of objectivity; if he's talking about something, it is the most important thing in the world and any attempt by someone else to change the subject is a personal attack. It was inevitable that I'd eventually get on his bad side for trying to veer a discussion away from one of his tangents. Fortunately he's not the head of my department and under the current circumstances he doesn't have the authority or influence to do anything to me beyond being passive-aggressive in conversation (which he always is all the time anyway), so I don't give a gently caress.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had to install Windows 10 on some VP's laptop a couple of weeks ago so I can totally relate to this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sheep posted:

I had to install Windows 10 on some VP's laptop a couple of weeks ago so I can totally relate to this.

The dumbest feature in history.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

:smithicide:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Sheep posted:

All I can ever think of when I hear things like that:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ptier posted:

All I can ever think of when I hear things like that:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

Can you imagine how creepy it would be if they figured out there was tons of Cortanas talking in the room, all paused for a second, and then all resumed in unison.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sheep posted:

Nightmare fuel

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Can you imagine how creepy it would be if they figured out there was tons of Cortanas talking in the room, all paused for a second, and then all resumed in unison.

That is some seriously Skynet nightmare fuel.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Well I can now, thanks for that.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Why do these people even boot into Windows 10 instead of booting straight into PXE?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

Why do these people even boot into Windows 10 instead of booting straight into PXE?

Because, at some point during the install, a visit from Cortana is mandatory.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I still can’t believe Microsoft named a part of windows after something in Halo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

skooma512 posted:

I still can’t believe Microsoft named a part of windows after something in Halo.

It's no worse than EA wasting the name Origin on their reskinned EA Download Manager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skooma512 posted:

It's something instantly recognizable for a large portion of their consumer base, and pretty much doing the same job Cortana does in the Halo series without the holographic naked blue woman.

Which I have zero doubt will appear in their Mixed Reality headset setup in a year or two.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

skooma512 posted:

I can believe it if it were something used solely for fun purposes e.g. A games console.

But for serious business tools? Yep, that's a headscratcher for me, too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

I guess to anyone who is a Serious Businessman who doesn't play games it's as good a name as anything since it won't have any other meaning.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Case in point, I didn't know that was a Halo reference. Interesting!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I deploy W10 via PXE booting to my MDT server. That Cortana yammering is mandatory no matter what.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate desks. Especially old lovely desks. Where I work, about half of the desks are one of these two old style desks:

Owner/CEO has prohibited computers being on desks (we use Dell SFF). So most people put them on the side of the desk, so all the cables get streeetched all out because they want their screens on the other side, blah blah. Ends up ruining all our poo poo. Can't drill a hole in the top of the desk to route cables.

The best part is when we call up our furniture rep and get either Steelcase or Herman Miller for a department (we switch every time we remodel an office), we keep all the old lovely desks in a old warehouse. BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Because, at some point during the install, a visit from Cortana is mandatory.
LTSB, yo.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's something instantly recognizable for a large portion of their consumer base, and pretty much doing the same job Cortana does in the Halo series without the holographic naked blue woman.

Which I have zero doubt will appear in their Mixed Reality headset setup in a year or two.

The best part is, as of Halo 5, Cortana is basically evil.

spog posted:

I can believe it if it were something used solely for fun purposes e.g. A games console.

Remember when they put the full screen tablet-oriented launcher interface on Windows Server? That was great.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

That crashes several of our internal tools, so no. :-(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
New bigger & better offices come with smaller and shittier desks. gently caress. Also it's not actually bigger once they cram a new hire in here 😐

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Some of us are just mere mortals that don't have volume licensing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

These old Steelcase Tanker desks own own own. While I don't think I'd want one at work, I definitely want one for my home office.

There was a goon that was renting a building (in Ohio, I think?) and had a ton of these he was selling dirt cheap a couple years ago. I was ready to go on the road and grab one, but I had some major family stuff go down so I had to pass on it.

The only ones on eBay I see close enough are either priced way too high or falling apart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My desk looks exactly the same as the ones they used in Mindhunters, and it's based in the 1970's. :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm sorry, but this is a pretty awesome desk, and I would love to have it.

Probably not as a computer desk tho

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I keep meaning to look into computer desks since I want to have space for a dual monitor and not have stuff in the way of my mouse, but 400bux.

Anybody have one they like?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're buying new then Ikea Bekant are hard to beat for the price - metal legs, metal frame under the top etc. There's also the Skarsta which is a sit/stand desk but with a keep-fit handle rather than electric. All I need in a desk is for it to be as big as possible and strong.

Also look at local used office furniture places and get a used Herman Miller or similar.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

This is a company that shipped with a talking animatronic paper clip in their professional office suite enabled by default.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

I keep meaning to look into computer desks since I want to have space for a dual monitor and not have stuff in the way of my mouse, but 400bux.

Anybody have one they like?

At even 400$ finding something you will like seems challenging, at least for me. At that price point you are stuck with cheap particle board stuff that won't survive moving across a room if you ever need to do it. I am also kind of a minimalist that doesn't like tons of drawers or all the other crap that comes with computer desks these days.

Speaking of home offices. I bought these after having them for my work setup for the last few months and holy poo poo.

https://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-Mon...ywords=varidesk

Pricey yes, but all other monitor arms are poo poo compared to these things in my experience. Super easy to setup, super strong for giant rear end monitors, all while being able to move and swivel around at will. My only caveat is that you need monitors that you can attach the back bracket to and the grey isn't a great color. I am spray painting mine in the near future but I am a weirdo that can't let it go.

The same company that makes the arms makes desks that I loving adore but it appears they sell them B2B only at the moment. They won't even take my money for them despite being super pricey at like 1200 bucks. I tried to get my company to order more than we needed and steal them, but I failed.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I used to get (well-used Air Force surplus) tanker desks for less-than-scrap prices at a surplus yard back in Montana, years back. [ASK] about combining those with (surplus) swivel chairs and a shag rug for hot knee-destroying action! :cry:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Humanscale M8 Crossbar is the only dual-screen arm that you need.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

The Humanscale M8 Crossbar is the only dual-screen arm that you need.

I have actually purchased those before at work and hated them so much I returned them. Independent arms are the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess if you want to spin your monitor portrait then that's a definite use case. I'm the opposite of you - I want my screens pretty much solid in relation to each other but able to move around as a pair.