Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Ten hours ain’t no thing. I have kids so up at silly loving o’clock anyway...

Anyone remember the old game dopewars? You had to buy drugs in one location and hen travel and try and sell them for a profit there? It was all about telling what was cheap to buy and poo poo and I loved it!

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=2067

Actually gently caress I might make a clone for iOS :)

Anyway bitcoin reminds me of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. If you want a transaction processed in the next block (ie within 10 minutes) you're looking at a $15 fee per input. That's completely unacceptable for any in-person usage and unusable for most legit online purposes.

Meanwhile, here in Australia

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

thegasman2000 posted:

Anyone remember the old game dopewars? You had to buy drugs in one location and hen travel and try and sell them for a profit there? It was all about telling what was cheap to buy and poo poo and I loved it!

loved this cooler edgelord version of lemonade stand

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gobbeldygook posted:

Probably the biggest "legitimate" user Bitcoin is Backpage. They only accept Bitcoin for ads which works out for them because all their revenue comes from prostitution ads. That's probably why there's a Bitcoin ATM next to the airport in my city.

The only Bitcoin ATM in my city is in a Lebanese kebab shop. Not sure what the logic is there, perhaps it's a hint they sell drugs.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Computer Serf posted:

loved this cooler edgelord version of lemonade stand

There is an iOS clone! Goodbye days productivity

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

he already owns the bitcoins what difference does it make if he goes public about it or not?
because as soon as bitcoins move from that address, everyone will know about it

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

because as soon as bitcoins move from that address, everyone will know about it

I hope Hiroshima "Punished Snake" Satoshi finds it in his computer heart to move millions of bitcoin directly into my rear end.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

lol i thought the same thing the other day. i played dopewars at a summer camp at a fairly conservative religious college, for some reason it was installed on all the PCs in one of the computer labs

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Uranium 235 posted:

lol i thought the same thing the other day. i played dopewars at a summer camp at a fairly conservative religious college, for some reason it was installed on all the PCs in one of the computer labs

Lol everyone at my school had a dopewars clone on our TI-82s. It was actually pretty impressive.

I also bought in on some crypto because it's been a while since I've wasted beer money on gambling. The thought of taking out a loan/trading on margin with this poo poo is :psyduck: jesus christ

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I made 200 pounds dicking around with this nonsense in the last few days, I am now more successful than the overwhelming majority of bitcoin traders ask me anything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Teatime posted:

I made 200 pounds dicking around with this nonsense in the last few days, I am now more successful than the overwhelming majority of bitcoin traders ask me anything.

Should I invest all my life savings into bitcoin or should I do that and also take loan to invest into bitcoin?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mr Teatime posted:

Do you have your money in the bank yet?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I feel that people investing in bitcoin now are late to the party and have the greatest risk for smallest reward. Now alt coins it’s all Mental. Iota, eth and the like can be had cheap as shot and anyone of them could go massive for long enough for you to cash out. I guess the beat bet is invest a little in each of the top 20 and play the numbers.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Sickening posted:

Do you have your money in the bank yet?

What does your heart tell you?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I feel that people investing in bitcoin now are late to the party and have the greatest risk for smallest reward. Now alt coins it’s all Mental. Iota, eth and the like can be had cheap as shot and anyone of them could go massive for long enough for you to cash out. I guess the beat bet is invest a little in each of the top 20 and play the numbers.
most alts will fail in the long run, though. the current top 20 is very different from the top 20 from january 2017

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I would think all but one!

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The small cap alts are where the pump and dumps take place, avoid those like the plague.

Also with the Lightning Network gearing up they will be much less useful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bust Rodd posted:

Our parents generation enjoyed the greatest economic prosperity this country has ever known. Millenials as a unit are destined to fail upward, accomplish nothing, and simply inherit our parents cars, homes, and businesses when they die.

Yeah, great for the 30% or so of society with positive net worth.

The rest of us are just going to laugh as the Boomers panic when there isn't anyone who can afford to buy all the property they've been hoarding at the rates they need in order to fund their retirement.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

wide stance posted:

The small cap alts are where the pump and dumps take place, avoid those like the plague.

Lightning network is going to fix everything.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

wide stance posted:

lol if you think the lightning network will make bitcoin work. Like not only will it not work even if it was adopted by users but it isn't even going to be adopted in the first place.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

lazorexplosion posted:

lol if you think the lightning network will make bitcoin work. Like not only will it not work even if it was adopted by users but it isn't even going to be adopted in the first place.

re: lightning network

quote:

A Long Road Ahead
Last week’s experiment is just the first step in a long journey, however. It might be a while before a usable form of the Lightning Network emerges. For starters, there are very few developers working on enhancements to the network. There are also issues relating to the network’s security that need to be ironed out. Finally, the Lightning Network will need a slew of incentives to attract users to its service.

There are a bunch of competing apps, such as Paypal’s Venmo, which are already popular with users. To that extent, the popularity of the Lightning Network is also directly proportional to bitcoin’s popularity as a payment mechanism.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoins-lightning-network-game-changer/

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soooooo, I apparently bought $1k worth of LiteCoin when I was drunk on Saturday night.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soooooo, I apparently bought $1k worth of LiteCoin when I was drunk on Saturday night.

Your position is up like $300, why don't you LiQUiDaTe?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

unless he bought at 195 or something, but probably not

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but North Korea is hacking exchanges I guess.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-korea-is-hacking-soaring-bitcoin-exchanges-say-researchers-11162155

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lol

As mentioned, cryptos are fueled by stupidity (or alcohol in this case). There’s room to grow :homebrew:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You're i the Stock and Trading thred with me. The original plan I was kicking around was to just take profits, if any, once a month.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

divabot posted:

That's deep in jargon, but the guy is asking how merchants in Arnhem can use Bitcoin when fees and delays for on-chain transactions are through the roof. Back's answer - admitting that Lightning isn’t wallet-ready - is: keep a tab off chain or something, and reconcile to the blockchain later. “Maybe the shops in the local area could make a shared tab.” So it's official: the best way to use Bitcoin as a merchant is not to use Bitcoin.

The currency has gone up literally 18x the value since I made my :10bux: off it. Last year.

And it's hitting record highs thanks to new and exciting opportunities in mortgage crisis financial bubble futures trading.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol

As mentioned, cryptos are fueled by stupidity (or alcohol in this case). There’s room to grow :homebrew:

It's truly a great time to be an internet comedian.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Burt Sexual posted:

So I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but North Korea is hacking exchanges I guess.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-korea-is-hacking-soaring-bitcoin-exchanges-say-researchers-11162155

quote:

Ashley Shen, an independent security researcher, said: "We assume one of the reasons why Bitcoin is being attacked is because the price keeps increasing and we think it's reasonable for hackers (to target).

"Digital currency might be easier to gain than physical currency. So I think it's reasonable."

No, that can't be it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Where does the guy that got brain damage from the heat from his rig fit in?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Lightning Network will definitely solve the Bitcoin transaction clog when we solve just a few minor problems!!

1. It doesn't exist.

2. To use a payment channel, you have to commit all the money you ever expect to use to the payment channel. (Your year's groceries, in advance!)

3. If the other side drops off, your commited money is stuck in the channel for up to a year. (This detail is fuzzy, depending on what answer the person you ask will be Good News for Bitcoin at that moment.)

4. The big one: The actual network cannot be routed over (from arbitrary point A to arbitrary point B) without a complete map of the entire network as of that moment. This completely blows away the claims of privacy. (The current alpha software supplies such a map.) To route over a mesh network without a complete map of the entire network to hand is literally an unsolved problem in computer science; past approximations to this problem (e.g. UUCP mail) all used "complete map", "route by hand" or both.

5. LN proponents keep asserting that the network totally won't naturally devolve from an egalitarian mesh to a centralised hub-and-spoke model, because reasons.

6. You need not just a path through the network, but to then negotiate or have negotiated passage for your pseudobitcoins with every node along the way.

7. A bunch of other stupidities, like ways to gently caress over your partner in a payment channel by sending the previous transaction upstream to the miners as closure rather than the actual final transaction, etc. But first you have to solve the previous ones.

8. The performance of the current alpha software is lower than the current Bitcoin network.

but LN totally solves Bitcoin scaling and is the new paradigm, even if it's an idea of such perfection it could only be spoiled by being, y'know, implemented

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

divabot posted:

an idea of such perfection it could only be spoiled by being, y'know, implemented

There's your new thread title folks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry guys this all seems super hard to parse, but as of today, with Bitcoins being in the tens of thousands, what is he most secure and legitimate way to turn it into cash? Are their real people cashing out 5-6 bitcoins to the tune of 60grand in cash anywhere?

Also shout out to the goon that pointed out they don’t feel bad about missing out on the ground floor of Bitcoin because they would had their wallet stolen by now is amazing, there’s not way I wouldn’t have been on MtGox when it crashed

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
while everyone is distracted by bitcoin I'm going to buy land

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry guys this all seems super hard to parse, but as of today, with Bitcoins being in the tens of thousands, what is he most secure and legitimate way to turn it into cash? Are their real people cashing out 5-6 bitcoins to the tune of 60grand in cash anywhere?

Also shout out to the goon that pointed out they don’t feel bad about missing out on the ground floor of Bitcoin because they would had their wallet stolen by now is amazing, there’s not way I wouldn’t have been on MtGox when it crashed

itBit, Coinbase, Gemini, Bitstamp, or illegal over-the-counter transactions on LocalBitcoins or Paxful.

Well, the last two aren't illegal if you're a properly licensed and bonded money transmitter.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Burt Sexual posted:

I wonder if they have the raw computing power to brute force wallet keys.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you a tucking idiot? Why would you exchange Bitcoin into stupid fiat cash when it’s still growing in value?

loving nocoiners like you PISS ME OFF!!!!!1

quote:

Yes, I think $400,000 is possible, or at least some price at that scale (and maybe not for many years).

I don’t think $400,000 is wishful thinking because of the role Bitcoin has in the cryptocurrency community. As the universal store of value and the judge of how other cryptocurrencies are performing in the market, it seems possible for BTC to become the ‘gold’ of the cryptocurrency era.

And looking at the analysis in the article, that’s exactly the analysis the author is using (Gold is worth $8 Trillion today, which would equate to $400,000 BTC at a $8 Trillion Market Cap).

Now, I say to the same scale, because this valuation assumes that BTC takes the entire market cap for gold, and this doesn’t get split among all the cryptocurrencies. It’s possible that $8 trillion could get split among BTC and other competitors. But even still, BTC has such an important place in the ecosystem today that it’s likely that they will receive an outsized share of the ‘gold’ market, maybe not hitting $400,000, but closer to $100,000 or $200,000.

Another scenario is that BTC does become the ‘gold’ of the cryptocurrency world, but other tokens like ETH and XMR find another use in the world and get judged like a businesses or technology. In this case, BTC can become the Gold of the world, but platforms like IOTA and Ethereum can still be worth trillions because they are in another market.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I know one in real life person that is transacting tens of thousands of Bitcoin liquidation trades per week with no problems at all. Aside from it taking a few business days to go from Bitcoin->Cash in his digital wallet->cash in his bank account there doesn't seem to be any issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My friend of a friend knows a guy who legit gets money out no problem.