Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So you know how sometimes in more recent games of the series when some cavalry is killed you'll see the riderless horse run away? It seems that those horses apparently count for taking capture points in sieges. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Gobblecoque posted:

A dream feature for future historical TW titles would be a bit of cultural melding depending on where you are and what you conquer. Like if you're a Germanic tribe and conquer a bunch of the Mediterranean then maybe you adopt some Roman/Greek architecture and armor instead of just all mudhuts and naked dudes all the time or if you conquer eastwards then your regular recruitment roster expands to include cataphracts or horse archers. It's always very unsatisfying in a TW game where you can conquer half the world but your civilization is as unchanged as if you had just stayed in your homeland the whole time.

I liked Attila's Ostrogoth solution, where occupying a settlement with Roman recruitment buildings lets you recruit those units, but you can't actually construct the buildings yourself. Should definitely have been expanded on, though!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Klaus88 posted:

Like you need anything other then horse archers in a total war game.

How do you deal with sieges? Honest question.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Wait 8-14 turns.

Truly unbeatable :smug:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Bloodly posted:

I wouldn't go all horse archers, if only because friendly fire issues start rising exponentially once you get enough units of Horse Archers in the same area, making the level of micro you need rise as well.

I did a whole Nomad campaign (don't ask me why) and you have a few tools available to try and deal with sieges.

1) Starve out/autoresolve (this sucks)
2) Create a special sieging army of mercenary infantry and siege weapons (this isn't entirely reliable, given how arcane the mercenary system is)
3) If the balance of power is close enough, the enemy will sally out and get loving ruined on the field. (this is your most effective tactic, imo)
4) The siege defense AI is noticeably bad, even compared to the rest of the AI, so dismounted horsemen are good enough infantry in a pinch.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 7, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i miss shogun2's like 4-turn siege timers so you could actually starve out garrisons in a reasonable timeframe

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-campaign-map-reveal

Big detailed post about the map for Thrones of Britannia here. It looks/sounds great, really. Large map with settlements here.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

John Charity Spring posted:

Big detailed post about the map for Thrones of Britannia here. It looks/sounds great, really. Large map with settlements here.

Woah, looks freaking HUGE!
I'm pretty stoked about this one. I hope they have detailed and interesting maps and that they have animations between soldiers fighting again. Or well "again", they didn't have them in Warhammer, but afaik those things were still in the last historical TW game.

Edit: or actually i went and checked after posting this and it seems like warhammer units still have animations between them, they just do them a lot less than in rome 2 so i never noticed

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gobblecoque posted:

A dream feature for future historical TW titles would be a bit of cultural melding depending on where you are and what you conquer. Like if you're a Germanic tribe and conquer a bunch of the Mediterranean then maybe you adopt some Roman/Greek architecture and armor instead of just all mudhuts and naked dudes all the time or if you conquer eastwards then your regular recruitment roster expands to include cataphracts or horse archers. It's always very unsatisfying in a TW game where you can conquer half the world but your civilization is as unchanged as if you had just stayed in your homeland the whole time.

Check out DEI for Rome 2. I've only played enough as Rome to see how far the feature goes, but a number of the units you recruit are "Romanized _____," or "Cohorts _____." You have a unit that's basically a standard Roman cohort that you could recruit from Rome itself, but depending on if you recruit them in Gaul, Thracia or Athens they will have different appearances. It's a nice touch.

StarMinstrel posted:

Strategic map is the same size I believe.
My opinion: I looooved the feel of it, despite the turn lag, despite the unit variety (which isn't as bad with the DLCs compared to release). It's not about how big you get, but what you're able to keep until the end date. I'm just waiting on a better computer to go at it again, my laptop runs warhammer fine, but not this one.

There will probably never be a computer than can run Rome 2 or Attila all that well simply due to engine limitations.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 11, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The brand new viking game is going to come out before the already done viking dlc for warhams 2 :v:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

turn off the TV posted:

There will probably never be a computer than can run Rome 2 or Attila all that well simply due to engine limitations.

The games still run bad on current high end systems? :/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

StarMinstrel posted:

The games still run bad on current high end systems? :/

They're 32 bit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

works fine for me. you're probably holding it wrong

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

turn off the TV posted:

They're 32 bit.

lol loving wut? hahahaha

What about Warhammer though?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

StarMinstrel posted:

lol loving wut? hahahaha

What about Warhammer though?

Warhammer is 64, which gives me hope that their loving about with the Attila engine for ToB will include a move to 64 bit. That extra vram makes a huge difference in a Total War game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John Charity Spring posted:

From now on I will always refer to Nottingham as Snotingham.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Woah, looks freaking HUGE!
I'm pretty stoked about this one. I hope they have detailed and interesting maps and that they have animations between soldiers fighting again. Or well "again", they didn't have them in Warhammer, but afaik those things were still in the last historical TW game.

Edit: or actually i went and checked after posting this and it seems like warhammer units still have animations between them, they just do them a lot less than in rome 2 so i never noticed

In Empire through R2's release, the animations were the only ways soldiers could interact. It was acceptable yet weird-looking in Shogun 2, but melee was a problem in Empire/Napoleon/R2 and to a lesser extent, Attila. It looked bad, played bad, and resulted in tons of bugs. They started cutting down on them for gameplay/stability reasons.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

V for Vegas posted:

When I lived there nobody believed me when I told them that was the original name.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

V for Vegas posted:

I wonder if they'll take a page from CK2's book and change province/city names depending on who's holding them. I always liked how if the Welsh conquered England they'd call it Lloegyr, for example.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Plan Z posted:

In Empire through R2's release, the animations were the only ways soldiers could interact. It was acceptable yet weird-looking in Shogun 2, but melee was a problem in Empire/Napoleon/R2 and to a lesser extent, Attila. It looked bad, played bad, and resulted in tons of bugs. They started cutting down on them for gameplay/stability reasons.

It was especially bad in Rome 2 because the sync kill animations meant that all of your nice and beautiful formations turned into mosh pits pretty quickly, and smaller forces would be able to hold out for at times absurd lengths because they couldn't be interacted with during animations.

I think that the animations in Warhammer are better than the old system. Soldiers don't sync up into paired animations nearly as much, but the basic attack animations look way more like they're actually fighting each other.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i’ve been playing rome 2 (the empire divided campaign) and there’s not many synced animations and soldiers keep formation to sometimes absurd degrees. did they backport the warhammer system or are you guys crazy

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BBJoey posted:

i’ve been playing rome 2 (the empire divided campaign) and there’s not many synced animations and soldiers keep formation to sometimes absurd degrees. did they backport the warhammer system or are you guys crazy

CA toned down the matched combat/sync animations significantly after release, I think they finally settled with their current numbers around the time of Emperor Edition's release. Prior to that you could have infantry fights where single soldiers could wind up five rows deep into their opponent's formations, tearing poo poo up and being generally unkillable because of the animations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

EDIT: The system was lovely in Empire/Napoleon, but melee was rare enough that the worst you just kind of had to put up with your cavalry taking forever to kill a cannon crew and Shogun 2 made the kills relatively quick and soldiers lined up more easily. Rome 2 was a mess. It took forever for units to pick duel partners, animations looked really bad (most were very slow, very long, wimpy-looking, and took up a ton of space). There was no unit collision on release, so soldiers would morph into these Cronenbergian mosh pits and/or teleport and Naruto-run across large distances to get to their partners, and everybody still wiggles and rotates in place doing checks to see if it's their turn yet. And that's just to start.

turn off the TV posted:

It was especially bad in Rome 2 because the sync kill animations meant that all of your nice and beautiful formations turned into mosh pits pretty quickly, and smaller forces would be able to hold out for at times absurd lengths because they couldn't be interacted with during animations.

I think that the animations in Warhammer are better than the old system. Soldiers don't sync up into paired animations nearly as much, but the basic attack animations look way more like they're actually fighting each other.

Yeah, the gameplay problems were the biggest hits. Sound got hit badly, too. I don't know why, either. Every time I zoom in on those battles, they sound really muted and sounds don't really match animations. It's such a weird thing that battles from Medieval 2 or Rome 1 look and play so much better than later games. I'm glad that they settled on the version they did for Warhammer. The one feature I do miss though is when in Rome 1, if a unit was winning, they would push the others back and eventually envelope them. I miss charging cavalry into a blob and watching as they cut "fingers" through the pile of enemies.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 13, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am glad that Warhammer changed back yo a system where soldiers have weight. As silly it is that they are sent flying when charged by anything large...god it looks so meaty.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

BBJoey posted:

People complained about soldiers doing elaborate blocking animations (e.g where one guy hits the other guy's shield repeatedly while he backs away, causing both of them to physically move several metres) that displaced soldiers out of their formation so they lowered chances of those kind of animations occurring with a major patch last year.

I never played with DEI so I don't care about formations and modded sync animations back in.

Fast forward to now, Empire Divided changed the pool of animations. Besides rendering animation mods incompatible, it lowered the number of animations. Updated mods are currently stuck in a stopgap limbo. the one I used before ED as a side-effect reduces melee gore but retains sync kills that were removed with ED.

At least for R2, turning off formation attacks allows your units to be engaged in melee across its frontage. Keeping formation is a negative unless you enjoy watching models stand centimetres out of combat while the entire unit slowly becomes exhausted. It might be good if you're using chaff or hoplites to hold superior units in place but it is essentially irrelevant when at the beginning when everything is low tier chaff and still mostly irrelevant 60 turns later when you field better stacks and pack artillery.

It's not Attila or Warhammer, you can afford multiple armies with all the trimmings from the beginning.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that there isn't a reason to always have formations on versus formations off, especially there's lots of missiles around. When playing as the Romans I usually leave my infantry in formation until I'm at a stage in a fight where I think that there isn't any more risk of my troops getting hit my missile fire or getting flanked.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BBJoey posted:

Hopefully they manage to keep this for Thrones of Britannia, because the shield wall was the go-to strategy for pretty much everybody at the time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It always seriously bugged me to my perfect shield wall just break formation at the slightest contact.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Plan Z posted:

It always seriously bugged me to my perfect shield wall just break formation at the slightest contact.

Personally i always blame Titus Pullo for such undisciplined actions. :hist101:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

turn off the TV posted:

CA toned down the matched combat/sync animations significantly after release, I think they finally settled with their current numbers around the time of Emperor Edition's release. Prior to that you could have infantry fights where single soldiers could wind up five rows deep into their opponent's formations, tearing poo poo up and being generally unkillable because of the animations.

Anyone remembers how it was in Medieval 2, as a comparison? I seem to recall seeing a lot of interactions between individual units, sometimes to the detriment of some (like wasn't there a long standing bug that made units with two handed weapons garbage for a long while until Kingdoms fixed it or something?)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there were some two man synced animations, but soldiers weren’t locked in place while playing the animation, and were easily pushed around as formations shifted, so often you’d end up with dudes stabbing air and dramatically falling down for no reason.

also the two handed bug was that the two handed axe weapon type (the billhook most notably) didn’t have an animation for attacking infantry so any unit with those weapons was completely worthless unless attacking cavalry. iirc two handed swords weren’t affected so a temporary fix was to give axes the sword animation set, but it looked a bit wonky because you’d have soldiers stabbing people with an axe.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

there were some two man synced animations, but soldiers weren’t locked in place while playing the animation, and were easily pushed around as formations shifted, so often you’d end up with dudes stabbing air and dramatically falling down for no reason.

also the two handed bug was that the two handed axe weapon type (the billhook most notably) didn’t have an animation for attacking infantry so any unit with those weapons was completely worthless unless attacking cavalry. iirc two handed swords weren’t affected so a temporary fix was to give axes the sword animation set, but it looked a bit wonky because you’d have soldiers stabbing people with an axe.

As late as Attila axe and mace units still pierce people's stomachs with their weapons.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mans posted:

As late as Attila axe and mace units still pierce people's stomachs with their weapons.

Truly a brutal time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, it's great when you see someone slice another guy's head off or stab his collarbone with a mace.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly the bigger problem than anything else is TW hasn't done light/medium infantry well pretty much ever and they never will. Even in the game with the best combat, shogun 2, it's not particularly well done.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Pre-Norman England.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-thrones-of-britannia-presents-alfred-the-great-in-new-footage-and-screens/

Unzip and Attack posted:

My guess is that it will be Alfred the Great - with the popularity of shows like Vikings and The Last Kingdom, they would do well to dip into that market while the iron is hot.

:smug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good call, but they announced the setting and dates almost two months ago.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone remembers how it was in Medieval 2, as a comparison? I seem to recall seeing a lot of interactions between individual units, sometimes to the detriment of some (like wasn't there a long standing bug that made units with two handed weapons garbage for a long while until Kingdoms fixed it or something?)

Medi 2 and all the other old-engine games didn't have direct sync animations like the modern games had. You had instead units using canned animations against each other which led to more dynamic moments like two or more units ganging up on some poor bastard or a few fools charging while the rest of the unit brings up their shields. They also didn't look very good, even by the standards of the time, and caused some units to behave poorly or strangely. Though units behaving strangely is a core part of the TW experience imo.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So I was recently listening to Mike Duncan’s history of Rome, and just got past the crisis of the third century. I was wondering, when he was speaking about the empire needing a more mobile force and having a full cavalry army reinforce more stationary legions, is that a valid tactic in Rome II? Do full cavalry armies move faster on the campaign map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

StarMinstrel posted:

So I was recently listening to Mike Duncan’s history of Rome, and just got past the crisis of the third century. I was wondering, when he was speaking about the empire needing a more mobile force and having a full cavalry army reinforce more stationary legions, is that a valid tactic in Rome II? Do full cavalry armies move faster on the campaign map?

I think that it might work like that in Rome 2, at least in the older games armies moved as quickly as the slowest unit.