Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Zo posted:

pick up the hidden star if you need a heal before the end. why are you doing side somersaults? bait an attack then regular jump.

All the times I've tried regular jumping, I haven't gotten high enough for the hit to register and died. Didn't realize you could get up there without either a side somersault or a triple jump or something. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I am in the process of methodically clearly every kingdom with 100% of the moons. It is kind of crazy how much stuff I missed, and I've had to look a handful up. Now the gently caress am I supposed to know to do some of these things? For example, one that I couldn't find in the wooded kingdom involved going to the underground area, getting the frog thing, and then pumping like 1,000 coins into that flower. Where is the precedent that makes you even think that is possible?

In Japanese, that moon is called something more like a treasure grown from coins. I would consider that a (minor) localization error.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Mons Hubris posted:

This hatless Dark Side challenge with the invisible road and Piranha Plants is killing me. I can't get to the end of the path without taking at least one hit, and the big Piranha Plants at the end cover the whole platform in goop before I can actually execute a side somersault.

I eventually succeeded at this challenge by being aggressive. Get the free 6 heart before attempting the challenge and use the hidden moon in the middle of the course to heal. To beat the big enemies at the end, either bait them into an attack and stomp, or use the backward somersault to reach them at their natural height. Once you're at the big enemies you don't need to be concerned with the invisible platform (as far as I can tell, the entire area is solid ground).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The biggest problem with that one is the hit detection / camera angles on the giant piranhas. I could get to the end almost every single time and still die because my jump was 2 pixels too short to be considered a hit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

I am in the process of methodically clearly every kingdom with 100% of the moons. It is kind of crazy how much stuff I missed, and I've had to look a handful up. Now the gently caress am I supposed to know to do some of these things? For example, one that I couldn't find in the wooded kingdom involved going to the underground area, getting the frog thing, and then pumping like 1,000 coins into that flower. Where is the precedent that makes you even think that is possible?

Oh well. I am finding going back for the moons more fun than going back for the Korok seeds in Zelda. At least it's exposing me to new parts of the world that I can do stuff in rather than just lift a rock or whatever.

Alright, here is my new WTF Moon. Metro Kingdom, the one where you sit down next to the guy on the bench and he gives you a moon. Had to look that poo poo up, I didn't even know Mario could do that to try it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro7x posted:

Alright, here is my new WTF Moon. Metro Kingdom, the one where you sit down next to the guy on the bench and he gives you a moon. Had to look that poo poo up, I didn't even know Mario could do that to try it.

I got that one from the name of the star.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I didnt know about the toadette achievments until the end so I had to sit there and press A about 200 times after beating the game. I almost quit because I thought I had to find 100+ moons on that world.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is the ability to buy massive amounts of moons with regular coins just meant to be a crutch for bad players like me who probably won't find all the moons?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is the ability to buy massive amounts of moons with regular coins just meant to be a crutch for bad players like me who probably won't find all the moons?

its for people who can't be bothered finding the actual moons. only the first one counts towards the 'unlocked moons' list - the rest just add to your moon counter, so you have multiple ways of getting all the game content

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

If you want to buy Moons/Stars to cheat or for getting 999, be sure to buy them all at the Mushroom Kingdom. Then you'll have 120 stars from the shop there :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If you want to buy Moons/Stars to cheat or for getting 999, be sure to buy them all at the Mushroom Kingdom. Then you'll have 120 stars from the shop there :3:

The counter caps out at 99, unfortunately.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

if any of you are desperate for more 3D Mario after completing Odyssey, a new SM64 romhack was released the other day and it's actually pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhTxKbsnUI
it's not very long either, so give it a shot :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZ-nfMfu8o

This game rules for gimmick runs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have three purple coins remaining in the S ow Kingdom and there are two things I can't figure out. The highest platform in the corner and a mysterious steel box.

Are there any puzzles that require you to get to a certain point in the game before you can access them? I'm assuming there are no new movesets to learn, but for example I [spoiler] found a painting that warped me from the Snow Kingdom back to Cascade Falls to an area I wasn't able to reach previously.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wildtortilla posted:

I have three purple coins remaining in the S ow Kingdom and there are two things I can't figure out. The highest platform in the corner and a mysterious steel box.

Are there any puzzles that require you to get to a certain point in the game before you can access them? I'm assuming there are no new movesets to learn, but for example I [spoiler] found a painting that warped me from the Snow Kingdom back to Cascade Falls to an area I wasn't able to reach previously.

The high up platform is a painting warp iirc and the steel boxes can be pushed around by the blowing snow guys.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

The high up platform is a painting warp iirc and the steel boxes can be pushed around by the blowing snow guys.

I tried blowing air at the steel box and it didn't budge. I'll have to try again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes. More moons will unlock after the main story is complete. The hint bird and the hint toad will reveal all moons that you can access at the point you are in the story. Once they stop giving hints, it's a good idea to move on.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Yes. More moons will unlock after the main story is complete. The hint bird and the hint toad will reveal all moons that you can access at the point you are in the story. Once they stop giving hints, it's a good idea to move on.

I don't think I'm even doing that much. I collect as much as I can on my way through the objectives. Once the next world is available I take off. I figure ill have plenty of reasons to come back after I beat the game and I don't want to exhaust myself yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The metal cubes can't be hosed with till way later on, don't worry

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I beat the game and got the partial ending :toot:

Mushroom Kingdom is cool and good

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Morby posted:

I beat the game and got the partial ending :toot:

Mushroom Kingdom is cool and good

Me too! I putzed around the Mushroom Kingdom for am hour or so and now I'm off to the Moon it seems!

I'm struggling to figure out how the move quick enough to get the scarecrow star near the Goomba Woods. I've been trying a combo of long jumping and rolling down hills but it's never fast enough. I feel like there is a move I don't know about.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm struggling to figure out how the move quick enough to get the scarecrow star near the Goomba Woods. I've been trying a combo of long jumping and rolling down hills but it's never fast enough. I feel like there is a move I don't know about.

Hint: find something to ride

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 29, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Daveski posted:

Hint: find something to ride
Ha ha wow that would have made that particular moon a lot easier I bet. You can do it with just rolls and long-jumps tho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Ha ha wow that would have made that particular moon a lot easier I bet. You can do it with just rolls and long-jumps tho.

That's how I did it too :smuggo:.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hey y’all just want to say the 2D bullet bill star in mushroom kingdom is loving bullshit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every 2D part is good and wonderful and I wish there were more.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hey y’all just want to say the 2D bullet bill star in mushroom kingdom is loving bullshit.

Are you talking about the section where it’s kinda bullet hell and you can “fall out” of 2D if you don’t let the background finish scrolling? I got that moon, but can’t figure out the upside down part. I’m usually so shocked I get that far that I lose my cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Morby posted:

Are you talking about the section where it’s kinda bullet hell and you can “fall out” of 2D if you don’t let the background finish scrolling? I got that moon, but can’t figure out the upside down part. I’m usually so shocked I get that far that I lose my cool.

Yes. It’s bullshit.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I had trouble with the last bit of the section as I was trying to figure out exactly what direction I should be pressing depending on if I was upside down or rightside up. What made it easier for me was just rotating the stick around with Mario as if the stick was his current position and I was rotating him around the planetoids.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I cannot do this 100 jump rope challenge and I’ve been trying it for like a week

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
for the 2d planetoid section the direction you have to press is relative to mario's orientation when you start moving. If you let go of the stick it'll reset. The game does this all the time, but it's pretty awkward in this particular section, where left can become right for seemingly no reason.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I cannot do this 100 jump rope challenge and I’ve been trying it for like a week
look up a video of the talkatoo glitch, it's much more entertaining to try to break the game's scripting than trying to do it legit. easier too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You have to press the jump button

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

all y’all motherfuckers got bad rhythm or some poo poo i got jump rope on second try

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I found the flower pots in the square and the building in NDC; but I cannot, for the life of me, find the third pot.

Also, the Goombette that's supposed to show up behind the Odyssey in the Lake world hasn't shown up yet. Bug?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FartingBedpost posted:

I found the flower pots in the square and the building in NDC; but I cannot, for the life of me, find the third pot.

There are two pots on buildings. One is near the entrance to the level, the other is by the slot machine minigame.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's annoying with Mario since his double jumps aren't the same speed. I did it with a scooter, which has the same jump every time. Actually getting into the jump rope to start the count is the hardest part with that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

It's annoying with Mario since his double jumps aren't the same speed. I did it with a scooter, which has the same jump every time. Actually getting into the jump rope to start the count is the hardest part with that.

Double-jumps will fail you. You need to get the pause between jumps down pat so you're going fast, but not so fast as to turn the next into a double-jump.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Double-jumps will fail you. You need to get the pause between jumps down pat so you're going fast, but not so fast as to turn the next into a double-jump.

You can double jump all you like. If you tap the button just, the single and double jump will actually have the same duration, resulting in a normal-double-normal-double pattern.

Like so:
https://i.imgur.com/4eQc6Oq.gifv

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Mario Maker outfit is godlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The same folks who cranked out the "fan made" Newer Mario Bros Wii released their DS sequel on Christmas. Link at https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/7m203s/newer_super_mario_bros_ds_just_released/

Before you scoff, the Newer Wii fan effort managed to out variety and out pace Nintendo's own efforts, all while keeping the difficulty at a reasonable level.

• Locked thread