Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MMO Junkie stuck the landing with the ending. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how I feel about MMO Junkie. Individually just about every single part is good and the story overall never lost itself, but stepping back and looking at the sum of its parts it just kind of feels...insubstantial? It felt like it just didn't have all that much to say in the end. They could've condensed it down to a short few-episode OVA or something and probably gotten across the same story.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 10, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about MMO Junkie. Individually just about every single part is good and the story overall never lost itself, but stepping back and looking at the sum of its parts it just kind of feels...insubstantial? It felt like it just didn't have all that much to stay in the end. They could've condensed it down to a short few-episode OVA or something and probably gotten across the same story.
Hasn't the manga been on hiatus for like 2 years? Maybe they're hoping this gets the mangaka to come back? Don't know the exact details, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Im only seven episodes in but it feels like it should have been like six episodes

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

jng2058 posted:

The comparison between Juni Taisen and Land of the Lustrous is pretty stark. Both had impressive first episodes, but while LoL has kept improving, JT has slid straight into the toilet.

juuni taisen is also approaching being the same percent 3dcg versus traditionally animated material as land of the lustruous as well

Wark Say posted:

Hasn't the manga been on hiatus for like 2 years? Maybe they're hoping this gets the mangaka to come back? Don't know the exact details, though.

they took the hiatus due to severe health issues so unless bluray sales are kickstarting experimental medical treatments i doubt it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Im only seven episodes in but it feels like it should have been like six episodes

This.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I dunno if you were talking about MMO Junkie or Juni Taisen but it applies to both shows equally.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I dunno if you were talking about MMO Junkie or Juni Taisen but it applies to both shows equally.

He's talking about Touch. :grin:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

He's talking about Touch. :grin:

poo poo!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For those of you watching Yu3.

:stare:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Anime-Gataris has a fantastic soundtrack. Huh.

(Actually, it's use of the soundtrack is probably the selling point, not the songs themselves. The show has a great sense of timing and rhythm, and uses the soundtrack as part of that.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eela6 posted:

(Actually, it's use of the soundtrack is probably the selling point, not the songs themselves. The show has a great sense of timing and rhythm, and uses the soundtrack as part of that.)
Reminds me of Grimgar serving as a cash cow for one band's work.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

That brings back memories of those slide show sequences set to music.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

weird noses in the new kyoani

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Check that 90's aesthetic right there.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the new trailer made me want to rewatch sound euphonium

so its good

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Grouchio posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grimgar having a music label on the production committee who pushed for a ton of insert songs by one band... really doesn't relate at all to Anime-Gataris soundtrack/use of music. anyway i thought it was cool that Gataris uses soundalikes of other anime music to enhance the visual references.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BUSHIDO SAMURAI

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eela6 posted:

It has a fantastic sense of other things too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just caught up on Children of the Whales and drat, ep9 was beautiful and weird and a good cap to this first "arc." only 3 episodes left so i don't think there's a ton that could happen but i'm really anticipating them now.

i especially liked this cg effect they used for one of the Nous:

https://my.mixtape.moe/icnprf.webm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

weird noses in the new kyoani

Either the translation or the writing could use some work (probably the translation). That is some deeply awkward phrasing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i saw someone mention that the script for evergarden is really good so i'll put that on bad subs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Ballroom has had some fantastic moments with fantastic animation.

It's a drat shame they couldn't seem to find the time to animate more of the actual dancing like that. It feels like 90% of their animation resources went into 5% of the runtime. I'm still enjoying it though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh did Rebirth 4 come out finally?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Colonel posted:

i saw someone mention that the script for evergarden is really good so i'll put that on bad subs

Yeah those subs are from a fan translator here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPvglXN4W-w

They are... not great.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otfYAvJzoRE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Juni Taisen spoilers: So the tournament is over and Rat was incredibly overpowered the enitre time, letting him choose any reality that worked for him. Not really sure what they’re gonna do with the follow up episode, but yeesh. This started out with high hopes after the first couple episodes, but it turns out that no one was even remotely on the same level. I am kinda middling on it right now but I don’t feel like it was a good use of my time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

haven't watched the ep yet but my take from the book was out of all 100 realities he could pick, only 1 had him winning and he still had to struggle and suffer through the other 99 (where he ultimately died) to determine that. it's a useful power but definitely a taxing one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUK4zTkcz1U

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is this a remake? :monocle:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gmq posted:

Is this a remake? :monocle:

idk what it is other than a new tv anime of captain tsubasa. the article that pv was posted in is here, for anybody who can read japanese: https://natalie.mu/comic/news/260784

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It'd be badass if it's a remake because the original has insanely slow pacing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress YES! KAMINA AS ROBERTO MOTHERFUCKING HONGO! INJECT THE SUPERCAMPEONES NOSTALGIA STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS :rock:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 13, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's being animated by david pro and directed by the diamond is unbreakable guy, with scripts by an inazuma eleven writer. seems like a good crew for insane sports action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

it's being animated by david pro and directed by the diamond is unbreakable guy, with scripts by an inazuma eleven writer. seems like a good crew for insane sports action.
I'm sorry but we ditched Vento Aureo for this?

• Locked thread