Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Tyro posted:

Yeah basically. I'm 6'2" and I can't drive one for more than 20 minutes or so without getting really uncomfortable. Unless you live somewhere that you can basically keep the roof off all the time.

That's really the main reason I didn't buy one years ago.

Lol I don't know why I ever even considered, I would be out the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Sicilian posted:

Anyone know about the original roadster? I am looking to buy myself a fun toy since the model 3 has been so delayed. I am over 6'8" in height, am I hosed for fitting?

It's a Lotus Elise at heart, so find one of those and try it out.

(hint: yes you're hosed)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Sicilian posted:

Anyone know about the original roadster? I am looking to buy myself a fun toy since the model 3 has been so delayed. I am over 6'8" in height, am I hosed for fitting?

Is it possible the 3 won't fit you well either? What's your current DD?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
e: disregard

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

It's a Lotus Elise at heart, so find one of those and try it out.

(hint: yes you're hosed)

I'm 6'1" ~200 lbs and a few years ago at the local auto show someone had an Elise they were letting people attempt to get in. I got as far as stepping in standing fully out the open roof and had slid my rear end about half way down in to the seat before realizing that I'd probably need help to get out if I went any further.

My dreams of ever owning an Exige or Mk1 Roadster evaporated in that moment.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

kimbo305 posted:

Is it possible the 3 won't fit you well either? What's your current DD?

Current DD is the Model S with seat slid back and lowered into floor as low as it goes.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
30k BMW i3s sold in the US have to be recalled due to a snafu in crash testing for short women under 110lbs not wearing a seatbelt. Does this mean sweet deals on i3s or will they not be allowed to be resold?

https://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-issues-stop-sale-order-and-recall-of-all-i3-evs-in-u-s/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd imagine there will be a fix

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BlackMK4 posted:

The rumor mill says it'll be a software update to change the timing of the airbag. Maybe they'll toss in a nag-screen about seatbelts until the driver clicks in as well.

The recall is probably cutting into some sales metrics or whatever but I doubt you'll see much of a haircut on them, considering what an outlier the recall is for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I would hope so. Short women under 110lbs who don't wear their seatbelt is like 80% of the i3 customer base.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can fit in the Elise but I'm towards the top end of what works at about 5'10 and 170.

The biggest problem is the sill width that makes it really awkward to try to sit in the seat and then wiggle your legs over the sill.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

The rumor mill says it'll be a software update to change the timing of the airbag. Maybe they'll toss in a nag-screen about seatbelts until the driver clicks in as well.

The recall is probably cutting into some sales metrics or whatever but I doubt you'll see much of a haircut on them, considering what an outlier the recall is for.

The most bizarre thing about this is that it’s a recall for someone failing to obey a very basic law, “commmon sense” be damned (because we in the US don’t have common sense). If I contacted a lawyer to sue Kia for not putting V-rates tires on a 2003 Kia Rio because I blew the tires out and wrecked the car doing 129 mph on a US highway, they’d tell me to gently caress off. Why does a car need to be recalled for someone breaking the law?

Sometimes I can’t help but wonder if car companies in Asia and Europe sit down and do a cost/benefit analysis on car sales in the US and whether it’s worth putting up with the overly-litigious US populace. I hate big corporations as much as anyone else, but this is the kinda poo poo which ensures we only get boring-as-hell crossover garbage shipped to us now and forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ripoff posted:

The most bizarre thing about this is that it’s a recall for someone failing to obey a very basic law

I don't think it's the law in New Hampshire, from scanning the wiki page.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think it's the law in New Hampshire, from scanning the wiki page.

Holy hell, you’re right. :stare: What the gently caress, NH?

So I stand corrected, then. I guess we do have to make safety measures for the dumbest of our population, neato!

Edit: No helmet laws for motorcyclists either, loving lol. “Live Free or and Die”, indeed.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 11, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

If I contacted a lawyer to sue Kia for not putting V-rates tires on a 2003 Kia Rio because I blew the tires out and wrecked the car doing 129 mph on a US highway, they’d tell me to gently caress off.

Im not sure about that! Cars tend to ship with speed limits lower than the lowest-rated drivetrain and tires they want to include. To my knowledge, V6 mustangs have the limiter at 120 because the included tires and driveshaft aren’t supposed to go over 130.

And there absolutely are personal injury lawyers who would take that case.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ripoff posted:

The most bizarre thing about this is that it’s a recall for someone failing to obey a very basic law, “commmon sense” be damned (because we in the US don’t have common sense). If I contacted a lawyer to sue Kia for not putting V-rates tires on a 2003 Kia Rio because I blew the tires out and wrecked the car doing 129 mph on a US highway, they’d tell me to gently caress off. Why does a car need to be recalled for someone breaking the law?

Every vehicle where I've bothered to check for many years has either had tires rated for higher speeds than the vehicle was capable of or an electronic limiter set below the rating.

I'm assuming you're just using the Rio as "generic slow shitbox" to make a point but just for the record it looks like those have a limiter at 103 and ship with tires rated T (118). Based on my experience with an '07 Spectra I wouldn't be surprised if even the 103 limiter is mostly theoretical.

e;f:b

Cocoa Crispies posted:

To my knowledge, V6 mustangs have the limiter at 120 because the included tires and driveshaft aren’t supposed to go over 130.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

I guess that's a nice minor benefit to add to the pile with EVs, aside from retrofit installations the kinds of long driveshafts that cause problems like this aren't really a thing.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I need to get a new vehicle next year and really eyeing something plugin. I have a long commute (~35 miles each way) so definitely need a gas engine. With my three kids that will occasionally need to ride in my car i am eyeing the fusion energi. Locally, I'm seeing 2017s in the highest trims over $10k off of MSRP with relatively low mileage. I imagine resale on these are such that getting the tax credit up front is baked into the future sale.

I believe the 2018 model is the one that stepped up the range from 20 to 40+? We have chargers at my work (electric utility!) so with real world range and the cold I could likely just sip on the gas tank. Any overall opinions the goony EV experts can share on the fusion? Any alternatives I should investigate instead? I like the bells and whistles that come with the Ford so there's that but am not sold.

Won't be buying for at least 6-9 months so can let those 2018s get through the system and depreciate.

On a side note: if the tax credits expire for 2018, any guesses on what would happen to prices, new and used? I could make an economics argument either way but may as well speculate on bitcoin too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

35 miles each way doesn't seem like too much of a commute for a pure electric, especially with free charging at work.

If you're thinking Fusion Energi, also check out the Chevy Volt. There's a good chance you'll barely use the gas engine if you charge at work and at home.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Powershift posted:

35 miles each way doesn't seem like too much of a commute for a pure electric, especially with free charging at work.

If you're thinking Fusion Energi, also check out the Chevy Volt. There's a good chance you'll barely use the gas engine if you charge at work and at home.

I also need to account for the 15 or so extra miles that get added on for shuttling kids to and from sports after work. But glad to hear. Not sure how well the range holds up in SE Michigan winters.

Looked at the volt, thanks to the batteries there's like no leg room for the middle seat in the back. It's still on the list to actually see but it doesn't look like it'll work to get my three kids in the back reasonably. My father in law works at GM so that'd be the preferable choice from a cost perspective although I think the fusion has the nicer looks.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it seems like a poor life choice to top 100mph while filming your dash with a phone, and then keep your foot in it even after the noise starts.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
This is kinda in left field, but reading news about the Tesla big rig, are their any manufacturers working on service/delivery style cargo vans? My construction company is looking to get another van and honestly none of the diesel/gas ones on the market make me very happy. We currently are running some Mercedes Freightliners, and I'm looking at maybe a Ford Transit next, but all I hear anywhere is that everything has poo poo reliability since the engines are getting so complex to keep up with emission standards.

Also charging the trucks at the shop every night, and never having to get gas again sounds like a dream come true.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I also need to account for the 15 or so extra miles that get added on for shuttling kids to and from sports after work. But glad to hear. Not sure how well the range holds up in SE Michigan winters.

Looked at the volt, thanks to the batteries there's like no leg room for the middle seat in the back. It's still on the list to actually see but it doesn't look like it'll work to get my three kids in the back reasonably. My father in law works at GM so that'd be the preferable choice from a cost perspective although I think the fusion has the nicer looks.

The bolt has a 238 mile range. You're not gonna lose half of that in the winter. The leaf might be stretching it if you're only charging once per day. Kia is coming out with a plug-in Niro for 2018 that might be worth a look with 3 kids, too.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This is kinda in left field, but reading news about the Tesla big rig, are their any manufacturers working on service/delivery style cargo vans? My construction company is looking to get another van and honestly none of the diesel/gas ones on the market make me very happy. We currently are running some Mercedes Freightliners, and I'm looking at maybe a Ford Transit next, but all I hear anywhere is that everything has poo poo reliability since the engines are getting so complex to keep up with emission standards.

Also charging the trucks at the shop every night, and never having to get gas again sounds like a dream come true.

Ford is working on one, but it's not gonna have a steering wheel.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Ford has a small one, not sure what it's called or if it is a seriou EV attempt. Renault has one called the Kangoo ZE, 33 kWh battery but fairly small capacity. Then there's the Nissan e-NV200, bigger than the Renault but smaller than a Transit. Should work fine for moving two people + tools, but you won't fit much building material in there I think. It has a 24 kWh battery, coming out with a 40 kWh in 2018.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

Ford is working on one, but it's not gonna have a steering wheel.

Hmm, not sure how well that would work pulling into jobsites that are all still just dirt and concrete foundations. I would probably like to be able to avoid that giant ditch full of electrical feeds that was just dug across the lot.

^Cool, well at least it sounds like the concept is starting to be developed. You would figure with all the UPS/FedEx trucks drivings around towns all day that there would be plenty of market opportunity.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hmm, not sure how well that would work pulling into jobsites that are all still just dirt and concrete foundations. I would probably like to be able to avoid that giant ditch full of electrical feeds that was just dug across the lot.

Just press "Disliked this :(" after each crash and after 20 or so times the machine learning algos will know to avoid them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TraderStav posted:

I need to get a new vehicle next year and really eyeing something plugin. I have a long commute (~35 miles each way) so definitely need a gas engine. With my three kids that will occasionally need to ride in my car i am eyeing the fusion energi. Locally, I'm seeing 2017s in the highest trims over $10k off of MSRP with relatively low mileage. I imagine resale on these are such that getting the tax credit up front is baked into the future sale.

I believe the 2018 model is the one that stepped up the range from 20 to 40+? We have chargers at my work (electric utility!) so with real world range and the cold I could likely just sip on the gas tank. Any overall opinions the goony EV experts can share on the fusion? Any alternatives I should investigate instead? I like the bells and whistles that come with the Ford so there's that but am not sold.

Won't be buying for at least 6-9 months so can let those 2018s get through the system and depreciate.

On a side note: if the tax credits expire for 2018, any guesses on what would happen to prices, new and used? I could make an economics argument either way but may as well speculate on bitcoin too.

Worth noting that the tax credit is a non-refundable credit. That is to say, if your overall tax bill to the feds (and the vehicle purchase qualifies for the full credit; I don’t think the Energi does) is $8000, you’ll only owe the fed $500. You’ll either get a big refund at the end of the year, or you can reduce your withholding for the year. (I went with the latter. gently caress loaning the IRS money.)

If the car qualifies for the full credit, and your income is low enough that your overall tax burden is less than $7500, the extra portion of the credit vanishes. It cannot be carried forward into the next year, or transferred in any way. This is a big part of why leasing Volts/Bolts/Leaves can make a lot more sense in many situations than purchasing outright. The lienholder collects the tax credit instead of you, which means you get the discount up front as well. This is how you see dumb-cheap lease deals, particularly in states with additional state incentives.

(IIRC, the break point for a single-filer with no dependents or other deductions is around $50-60,000 a year of net income. Under that, and you don’t owe the fed enough to take advantage of the entire credit.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yeah thanks, that's the video I was thinking of while phone-posting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Im not sure about that! Cars tend to ship with speed limits lower than the lowest-rated drivetrain and tires they want to include. To my knowledge, V6 mustangs have the limiter at 120 because the included tires and driveshaft aren’t supposed to go over 130.

And there absolutely are personal injury lawyers who would take that case.

Yeah, setting speed limiters based on tire choice has been a thing for ages. Early fourth generation Camaros had a ~110 mph limiter if you didn't order Z-rated tires, and the Z28 could easily top that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TraderStav posted:

There's also the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid minivan which can plug in and go for ~30 miles.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Worth noting that the tax credit is a non-refundable credit. That is to say, if your overall tax bill to the feds (and the vehicle purchase qualifies for the full credit; I don’t think the Energi does) is $8000, you’ll only owe the fed $500. You’ll either get a big refund at the end of the year, or you can reduce your withholding for the year. (I went with the latter. gently caress loaning the IRS money.)

If the car qualifies for the full credit, and your income is low enough that your overall tax burden is less than $7500, the extra portion of the credit vanishes. It cannot be carried forward into the next year, or transferred in any way. This is a big part of why leasing Volts/Bolts/Leaves can make a lot more sense in many situations than purchasing outright. The lienholder collects the tax credit instead of you, which means you get the discount up front as well. This is how you see dumb-cheap lease deals, particularly in states with additional state incentives.

(IIRC, the break point for a single-filer with no dependents or other deductions is around $50-60,000 a year of net income. Under that, and you don’t owe the fed enough to take advantage of the entire credit.)

Thanks for the info. I drive far too many miles to justify a lease and am looking to buy used unless a crazy deal new comes through.

Throatwarbler posted:

There's also the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid minivan which can plug in and go for ~30 miles.

Interesting. Will need to look at that. Assume it's crazy expensive.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

the mercedes evito which is apparently available for order now with deliveries sometime next year.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Yep! I purchased my 2017 Volt on December 26th of 2016. Had my refund 2 months later. My withholding is a bit under $7500, so I got my entire withholding back thanks to the credit.

I drive too many miles to lease, and I had a couple discounts that stacked and got me a few $k off. So buying made sense in this case.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the info. I drive far too many miles to justify a lease and am looking to buy used unless a crazy deal new comes through.

Interesting. Will need to look at that. Assume it's crazy expensive.

The hybrid version is actually cheaper since it gets 7500 off. This guy goes over everything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6c52ShiYGg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the email about the Roadster.

quote:

The new Tesla Roadster is the first production car in the world to accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in 2.1 seconds. And with top speed of over 400 km/h, it’s the first car to set every performance record and still have seating for four.

A limited number of Founders Series reservations are available now.

1000km range, too!

Reservation is a simple matter of...yikes.

quote:

Founders Series Roadster reservations require an initial $6,000 credit card payment, plus a $316,000 wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 12, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
* “production car” is not actually in production

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Powershift Thundercougarfalconbird is the first production car in the world to accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in 0.69 seconds

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

The Powershift Thundercougarfalconbird is the first production car in the world to accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in 0.69 seconds

Could you tell me where to wire my deposit please?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

.69 seconds, top speed of 420km/h, 9001 quarter horsepower

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

9001 quarter horsepower

Do you mean 2250hp or somewhere over 9001hp since a modern quarterhorse blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Subjunctive posted:

Got the email about the Roadster.

1000km range, too!

Reservation is a simple matter of...yikes.

A wire transfer? That's hosed up right?

• Locked thread