Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Strobe posted:

May I use reckless movement going through downed Mechs?

Hurried movement works for moving through rough terrain due to downed mechs, it's just a piloting roll + 2 per MP ignored. If you chain it through multiple hexes the rolls keep getting worse though, it's another +2 for each point of MP cost you ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

Hurried movement works for moving through rough terrain due to downed mechs, it's just a piloting roll + 2 per MP ignored. If you chain it through multiple hexes the rolls keep getting worse though, it's another +2 for each point of MP cost you ignore.

What's the penalty for failing, falling?

I'd just like to get back to the fight before it ends. :shobon:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if you fail the roll you fall in the hex you failed at. (You have to roll for each hex you enter and ignore MP costs in)

So you could get to 2118 while requiring just a single 6+ PSR

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goddamn

No offense to the players, but I'm hoping Grier gets one more kill, or maybe two, before he's done and his final toll taken. Korean Robert's destiny is written in blood, and it's not his own.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I plan on shooting as much clusterized ordinance at the Khan as I can humanly manage, but I fear he may duck out off the road into that alley he's next to

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RA Rx posted:

Dadlas TSM kicks were basically a nightmare UAC-20 that always landed the second shell and synchronized its hits.

One day, five years from now, when the sequel to the HBS Battletech game comes out, I'm going to recreate the dang Dadlas and the rest of the Demon Hawks and have a fab ol' time

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just try to sandblast him. Praying for one more head hit is the best shot you have.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well rip Centurion. At least I landed all my guns and a kick in the process. And probably lived, only a leg destroyed, pilot not wounded. It's all good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

Goddamn

No offense to the players, but I'm hoping Grier gets one more kill, or maybe two, before he's done and his final toll taken. Korean Robert's destiny is written in blood, and it's not his own.

See, I'm torn on this one. I want Seidman to get a couple more kills, but he wants them to rub it in the face of the most authentic Hunchback pilot ever, even though he's in a much larger machine, with bodyguards and didn't have a building dropped on him. If he gets to whatever Clan afterlife is waiting, and he tries to brag about one more kill, I hope he gets mocked for an eternity for only winning by 1. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

mercenarynuker posted:

I plan on shooting as much clusterized ordinance at the Khan as I can humanly manage, but I fear he may duck out off the road into that alley he's next to

I can assure you, he won't; I'll plug the gap with my corpse if that's what it takes to keep him in everyone's line of fire. :black101:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I plan to keep shooting at the Kraken until its head finally succumbs to the deadly guns of Korean Robert.

I may have to paint up a Roughneck in the colors from this mission after I finish my current 'mech project.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
If you jerks kill Grier I'm going to cry about it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hedningen posted:

I may have to paint up a Roughneck in the colors from this mission after I finish my current 'mech project.

A physical model, or in MWO?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Damned nice shooting again by Korean Robert and the rest of you guys still operational, stripping away the Center Torso armor, plus the headshot. He drat well earned that battlefield commission there, just need a little more to put Grier down. He's still dangerous though, but he probably won't be able to get you all before you take him out. Go for it!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

W.T. Fits posted:

I can assure you, he won't; I'll plug the gap with my corpse if that's what it takes to keep him in everyone's line of fire. :black101:

"Quick, take cover behind the pile of bard corpses!"

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

A physical model, or in MWO?

Physical model. I'm still one of those nerds who plays Battletech on the physical plane, and I'm in the process of painting up King Dadlas for the thread. Plus to confuse people when playing as to why my Atlas has a tiny hand-crafted crown.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Man. I don't want Siedman to actually die ... after Cobb in the Hunchie though, well, I don't see how he's going top that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Gun Jam posted:

Man, Korean Robert got a taste for 100-tonner's heads.

Korean Roberts thirst for blood is real and palpable, and just a little terrifying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hedningen posted:

Physical model. I'm still one of those nerds who plays Battletech on the physical plane, and I'm in the process of painting up King Dadlas for the thread. Plus to confuse people when playing as to why my Atlas has a tiny hand-crafted crown.

:swoon:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I can just picture some DCMS Logistics pencil-pusher complaining about Korean Robert's group intentionally wrecking an expensive experimental-Tech scout machine.

Then getting slapped upside the head by his superior since that intentional wreck won them at least a Cluster of Clan Mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hedningen posted:

Where'd you find a Roughneck?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Korean Robert for ilKhan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Korean Robert for ilKhan.

Hanse Davion would probably knight him if it wasn't for all that racism

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Death by CT crits and CT destruction are likely to happen in time. Probably left leg and head destruction too.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 11, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
What are the odds on Grier getting that medical help?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I don't think he'd accept it unless it was from his new bosses, so it's not going to happen in time.
He probably prefers to die gloriously, especially with the clan being absorbed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If he dies, then the old leadership of the Hell’s Horses isn’t around to make things awkward under the new leadership.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Mezzanon posted:

Korean Roberts thirst for blood is real and palpable, and just a little terrifying.

He's just out to avenge the poor little office chair.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Where'd you find a Roughneck?

Scratchbuilding. Found the concept art, already do sculpting in 28mm, so I decided to work on building my ride from this mission. 6mm-but-really-tall is essentially the scale I'm used to working in, plus I needed practice with sculpting non-fantasy stuff anyways. Still torn on whether it should just be a one-off or if I should start playing with a bit of resin casting for this.

Admittedly, it's a spindly skeleton with feet right now, so there's still a ways to go, but I feel like the techniques are useful practice no matter what.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, that's one I'm hoping Warhansa will do a release for.

PGI is poo poo, but I really like the Roughneck. Most variants are absolutely terrible when ported to tabletop but the design is first rate.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Given its fluff/backstory, I was kind of hoping it would show up in HBS: BT as an IndustrialMech. Because you're right, the look is really awesome. Which is why I'm so disappointed in the Sun Spider just being a gigantic Locust.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

Given its fluff/backstory, I was kind of hoping it would show up in HBS: BT as an IndustrialMech. Because you're right, the look is really awesome. Which is why I'm so disappointed in the Sun Spider just being a gigantic Locust.

The Sun Spider is a disappointment because they completely missed the point.

Spend 30 seconds browsing Clan 'Mechs on Sarna and what's the one trend you notice: Clan 'Mechs (Omnimechs, in particular) always have very prominent arms, and nearly always keep the bulk of their firepower in those arms. Torso armaments tend to be small arms or missiles.

The Sun Spider's not a bad design, it's just not a particularly Clan design. It's gotten everything backwards and would've been more believable as an IS Omni knockoff like the Sunder.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Eh, I could forgive stepping outside design norms if the design were interesting, visually or otherwise.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Sun Spider is a disappointment because they completely missed the point.

Spend 30 seconds browsing Clan 'Mechs on Sarna and what's the one trend you notice: Clan 'Mechs (Omnimechs, in particular) always have very prominent arms, and nearly always keep the bulk of their firepower in those arms. Torso armaments tend to be small arms or missiles.

The Sun Spider's not a bad design, it's just not a particularly Clan design. It's gotten everything backwards and would've been more believable as an IS Omni knockoff like the Sunder.

Jenner IIC
Urbanmech IIC
Fire Falcon
Kraken
Naga

Off the top of my head (not counting quads) that have little or no arms to speak of. The Cauldron-Born comes close, too, where the arms are literally just gun barrels stuck on its combination shoulder/hips.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

Jenner IIC
Urbanmech IIC
Fire Falcon
Kraken
Naga

Off the top of my head (not counting quads) that have little or no arms to speak of. The Cauldron-Born comes close, too, where the arms are literally just gun barrels stuck on its combination shoulder/hips.

The only one of those I'd personally agree with you on is the Fire Falcon, and maybe the Jenner IIC, all the others have very prominent "arms' insofar as I think Battletech refers to "arms", meaning big things on the side usually with guns in them.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I hadn't heard of the Sun Spider before and good lord is that an ugly goddamn mech. Oversized Locust indeed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Who gave PGI the power to create their own mechs, wtf.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Strobe posted:

Jenner IIC
Urbanmech IIC
Fire Falcon
Kraken
Naga

Of those only the Fire Falcon is an omnimech and it still has doofy little laser gun arms.

e: Forgot that the Naga is an omni, The Arrows are still technically arms, tho. Kind of a waste of pods since the variants just slightly shuffle the artillery ammo to small laser ratio.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 11, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Jenner IIC
Urbanmech IIC
Fire Falcon
Kraken
Naga

The Jenner IIC, Urbanmech IIC, and Kraken aren't Omnimechs (the Kraken's arms are very prominent and contain most of its weapons), the Fire Falcon is a post-invasion scout 'Mech designed by the Jade Falcons who get increasingly squirrely over time, and the Naga is a punishment design intended to deter the user from getting stuck into a fight.

And even then, compare it to the functionally identical knockoff the O'Bakemono and you'll see the Naga's arms are much more prominent.

Clan Omni designs are psychological, it's something I've always liked. There is absolutely a style to them that speaks not only of the Clan that designed it but about the Clans as a whole. For example: Clan 'Mech hands are understated tiny things because punching is for freebirth scum, and a 'Mech's intended battlefield role dictates how big its guns are. The Stormcrow is often a scout commander so its arm lasers are understated, the Timber Wolf is a killer so the same combination of arm lasers are exaggerated into big bulky cannons. The Gargoyle is a force commander so it has a (really stupid) face. The Viper is a pure scout so the guns are as small as they can make them. The Mad Dog is a missile boat so the missile racks are emphasized (and it's clear that this is an exaggeration considering the Mad Dog C looks different enough that the IS flagged it as a different 'Mech entirely). The Dire Wolf (and the other Gunboxes like the Kit Fox) are utilitarian things designed to point as many barrels down range as possible, etc.

Even utilitarian soldier designs like the Summoner and Hellbringer share the Timber Wolf's arm design at least in part, even though they carry entirely different weapons. That arm design is Clan shorthand for "this 'Mech is here to kill you." Which is why I cranked that same arm up to 11 for the Wolf Spider, because the Widowmakers are arrogant enough to believe that their design is better.

The Sun Spider's design screams "scout" but the Clans simply don't use heavy 'Mechs as scouts. It's tall, and prioritizes vision and then doesn't back that with any recognizable "body language." It's built like a battlefield observer, it's the Clan version of a referee.

If it was intended to be a sniper like the Warhawk it would've been given long and prominent guns. If it's a pursuit vehicle like the Linebacker it'd be lower to the ground and closer to the light 'Mechs it's supposed to hunt. If it's a battler like the Timber Wolf and Night Gyr it should be presenting its weapons more boldly. It's definitely not an AA platform and if it's a missile boat why are they shoved in the back like an afterthought? The whole design screams "I hide in the back" and that's really not something the Clans like.

The--and this is a stretch based on the Clan they chose as its designer--only reason I can put forward that explains the wimpiness of the design is that it was designed with the Seekers in mind, which isn't supported by PGI's fluff but encouraging their drug-addled pilots to use their eyes and their brains instead of their guns is something the Goliath Scorpions might do. Edit: but if it was really intended for the Seekers the primary variant would be an energy boat.

But at the same time it would be akin to King Arthur giving one of his knights a coat of arms with a chicken on it to encourage them to maintain a healthy level of abject cowardice.

It's not a bad design. It's just not a Clan design. If you'd told me that was PGI's version of the Avatar I'd have believed you.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Now that is a good 'mech design interlude!

• Locked thread