Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

so shaggs what's the best mail client to use on the finest microsoft os, windows 7

upgrade to windows 10 and use windows 10 mail client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

There Will Be Penalty posted:

no outlook on macos app store

shitload of third party "outlook" apps though

including things like "mail for outlook" which i'm totally sure aren't web front ends or scams

lol yeah, love how they have crafted the description

*clicks more*

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

it is actually really good *except* if you are (and email) bilingual, since it for some reason overrides the os setting for correcting spelling mistakes, so every time i write an email in swedish i need an additional 4 clicks to change the language or it'll randomly change or capitalize words. sort of annoying since it is precisely the sort of thing that microsoft used to always get right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for all of androids other failings i do think the thing that gnawed on me most when i had an android phone was how terribly localized it was. it is not a *huge* cost to get right, it just needs focus, attention to detail and committal. which is a pretty good list of qualities google does not have

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I was using Outlook yesterday and I pasted in some console output in to the front of the email and it decided I was typing in Czech and no amount of disabling automatic language detection or manually specifying English would make it stop underlining every single word in that message as misspelled. Michaelsoft.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the only reason i use a desktop email client is to have my email database local. this is the same reason i can't just migrate to another email client.

it's a thunderbird life for meeee~~~

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i use em client since thunderbird never ended up working out for me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm sort of wondering if Windows Driver Signing didn't have the right idea here.

Release your poo poo wherever you want, but it has to be signed by a certificate issued by an EV certificate authority.

you mean like the default gatekeeper settings on osx?

double-clicking an unsigned app on a fresh osx install just tells you its not signed. if you wanna run it, you either have to right click->open then go through a dialog box or enable the poweridiot "just run whatever lol idgaf" option in sysprefs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
makes sense yeah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sapozhnik posted:

makes sense yeah

its pretty great imo :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

in my defense it is about 15 years of emails and accounts so im surprised every time it opens and works. itll probably break next time I try to read something :ohdear:

lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

ON IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aaaaa yessss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gently caress whoever decided what we need to get out of a first-run experience is a sardonic personal assistant that won't shut up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

gently caress whoever decided what we need to get out of a first-run experience is a sardonic personal assistant that won't shut up

lol btw someone tell whoever at apple that i dont need to "click continue to learn more about your new operating system" when my iphone got updated from ..1 to ..2 or whatever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i upgraded my pc and evga installed the counterstrike font and ms unactivated itself

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMCR66zjZo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am saying you're being stupid ascribing windows on arm existing as an attempt to compete with a specific product, as it is clearly just strategically sound to have around

it would be "strategically sound" to have a windows arm build in your back pocket

why would it be strategically valuable to induce OEM partners to produce actual products around it, though? particlarly bad products that cost 2x as much as a low-end PC

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Reminds me of the intro to another brick in the wall pt 3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why would it be strategically valuable to induce OEM partners to produce actual products around it, though? particlarly bad products that cost 2x as much as a low-end PC

twice

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it would be "strategically sound" to have a windows arm build in your back pocket

Allegedly there's no inducement -- licensing Windows for ARM costs as much as licensing Windows for x86. From Microsoft's perspective, Qualcomm and Intel competing to produce the best Windows laptop hardware is fuckloads better than Intel doing whatever the gently caress it's been doing for the last decade. Plus this no doubt bought Qualcomm's assistance in the alleged upcoming Microsoft mobile phone attempt, round 51.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 mobile was already windows on arm. the big difference here is the built-in x86 emulator/vm

idk what the market is tho cause they already tried slow x86 on portables before and it was called netbooks. I guess maybe if the battery life is really really good? still probably not worth it

idk why they don't just do stuff to get more people into the windows store. even if its x86 only apps you get more people looking at the store from both the dev and consumer sides.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

michaelsoft wandows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

windows 10 mobile was already windows on arm. the big difference here is the built-in x86 emulator/vm

idk what the market is tho cause they already tried slow x86 on portables before and it was called netbooks. I guess maybe if the battery life is really really good? still probably not worth it

idk why they don't just do stuff to get more people into the windows store. even if its x86 only apps you get more people looking at the store from both the dev and consumer sides.

30 day battery life (which they did not get in round 1 w/surface rt). that's it. there's still no software even for x86 since it's locked to the app store no one uses, and what does exist works worse that the cheapest bargain basement shitbox laptop on the market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and again, five years ago some guys off the xda forums had the rt running arbitrary win32 executables using WINE based shim

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

infernal machines posted:

there's still no software even for x86 since it's locked to the app store no one uses

Did that change? I thought the story was you could upgrade from 10S to Pro (for free, for now) and install any x86 apps.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh yeah, looks like they do support upgrading from 10s to pro/home. cool, so they've reached the level of functionality some nerds slapped together five years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

no* arm chip is even as fast as slow x86, either

imagine a netbook, but slower, and more expensive

* edit: no commercially available arm chip. some smartass always wants to post apple benchmarks but apple ain't gonna sell you their chip design

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 11, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no commercially available arm chip. some smartass always wants to post apple benchmarks but apple ain't gonna sell you their chip design

hey ms saved apple time do to the same and anger intel before their own shift to macos arm

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

* edit: no commercially available arm chip. some smartass always wants to post apple benchmarks but apple ain't gonna sell you their chip design

i adore the fact that every discussion of ARM has to be all "excepting apple because then it's not even a loving contest"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

hey ms saved apple time do to the same and anger intel before their own shift to macos arm

there's a timeline in which microsoft and apple have worked out a deal to include the office suite as part of iOS along with integrated OneDrive support.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somehow even hippy dippy RISC-V cores manage to eke out better benchmarks per watt than Cortex-A53s though so god knows what's going on with ARM's own-brand application processor IP

pram
Jun 10, 2001
risc-v is the future

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

risc rules

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
risc-v is the esperanto of ISAs

but hey, any day now...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

risc-v is the esperanto of ISAs

yeah except we actually need an esperanto for ISAs?

something not-too-weird that's easy to apply and extend without being sued. a common tongue among hobbyists, academics, researchers etc

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah except we actually need an esperanto for ISAs?

something not-too-weird that's easy to apply and extend without being sued. a common tongue among hobbyists, academics, researchers etc

dsyp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm the Apple and Intel grade microarchitecture engineer who would work for free just purely for the love of the craft, you know?

as opposed to working for one of those two companies and earning 7 figgies

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

crapple also can afford to budget putting a big wide chunk of silicon in their phones while the competition is pinching sub-pennies for the cheapest eight cores that can fit the lower than lucky goldstar budgets of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bulgakov posted:

crapple also can afford to budget putting a big wide chunk of silicon in their phones while the competition is pinching sub-pennies for the cheapest eight cores that can fit the lower than lucky goldstar budgets of the world

thats still the good phones, theres still the blu ones that somehow shave the bom to hay pennies despite having ample profits from user data sales