Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Painted up an inquisitor Greyfax that I'm happy with except her face. I think I'll paint a bunch of catachans next to practice me some skin.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

Painted up an inquisitor Greyfax that I'm happy with except her face. I think I'll paint a bunch of catachans next to practice me some skin.

She looks good, nice work. I think a little more contrast on the skin would improve the face? I've fixed your link so she's not tiny.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

The face is a little flat. Other than adding some darker color under the hat and cheekbones, you could paint the pupil as a vertical line and outline the eye with a darker color to make it look better with little effort. Maybe flatten the eye a little to further kill the staring look.
Looks good otherwise.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm just stirring the pot. I'm going to give them a call and see if we can get something sorted out. If not, I'll just bring it to Adepticon and see if they can figure out what's going on there.

In all honesty though, after using both, I haven't found a thing that the $26 Master can't do just as well as the 105. On top of that, it comes with a quick disconnect coupler which is an absolute godsend. And, considering it doesn't constantly leak air or bubble liquid everywhere when I backflow, I'd say the winner is the Master.

That's fair. A 105 is 3x times that, I wonder if it typically lasts longer than a Master brush, I thought the seals on those typically died pretty quick and you had to replace the brush.

I do have quick disconnects on my hose and both my brushes, makes it extremely easy when I'm working on a new model to swap from basecoating to highlights and shading (which I do with a Krome Renegade).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

That's fair. A 105 is 3x times that, I wonder if it typically lasts longer than a Master brush, I thought the seals on those typically died pretty quick and you had to replace the brush.
To be honest, I can't comment on longevity. Obviously, the problems with the Badger have stopped me from using it for the most part, and I killed my first Master recently by overtightening the nozzle and snapping it off inside the brush body (finger tight, plus a slight tweak from the wrench, everyone!) It was a few years old (3-4?) but it did not get heavy use. I'm definitely using the new Master and my Sotar more frequently now, so I can keep better track of their lifespans now.

Related, for those who use it, I picked up some Regdab - how do I apply it?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

Booley and Electric Hobo are right, the face does look a bit flat. My suggestions: Do a thin black line around the eye to set it apart from the rest of the face and give the appearance of eyelashes. (I'd also suggest expanding the pupil for a more natural look.) You might also consider putting a small amount of thinned Reikland Fleshshade in the areas where shadows would fall, like around the eye, under the jaw, the sides of the nose, and especially on the lips.
The metal and cloth are aces, though. Nice work!

e.: Also, thanks for reminding me, I've got a Greyfax that I keep meaning to convert to a "fantasy" style for the steampunk chronomancer band I'm very slowly building for Frostgrave.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 11, 2017

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm just stirring the pot. I'm going to give them a call and see if we can get something sorted out. If not, I'll just bring it to Adepticon and see if they can figure out what's going on there.

In all honesty though, after using both, I haven't found a thing that the $26 Master can't do just as well as the 105. On top of that, it comes with a quick disconnect coupler which is an absolute godsend. And, considering it doesn't constantly leak air or bubble liquid everywhere when I backflow, I'd say the winner is the Master.

Let me know if the leaking/bubbles is something they can fix because mine does that too and it's kind of messy and annoying.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pendent posted:

Wow, that looks great. It's really by Mantic? I haven't much liked their model range historically.

Shadin posted:

That owns. How has Mantic's sculpts progressed? They used to advertise something like that but in real life it looked more like this:

There was a few dudes who were curious about a star saga figure, specifically about the quality of the mini compared to the art, and my copy of the base game just came today so I figured I'd take a pic:

I can take a clearer pic with natural lighting tomorrow if need be, but it should be pretty obvious that it's a good sculpt. He's a part of the kickstarter exclusive characters; from my experience with Kingdom Death and Ghostbusters that means they'll either be rarer than hens teeth or cheaper than the retail box.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 12, 2017

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Does anyone have any experience or advice with poseable flight bases? The husband got me a 1:200 (I think) 3d printed Polikarpov Po-2 for my Bolt Action Russian list, and I don't want to stick the plane on the static flight base if I don't have to. (Because gently caress yeah, Nachthexen.)

Any recommendations?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

GoingPostal posted:

Does anyone have any experience or advice with poseable flight bases? The husband got me a 1:200 (I think) 3d printed Polikarpov Po-2 for my Bolt Action Russian list, and I don't want to stick the plane on the static flight base if I don't have to. (Because gently caress yeah, Nachthexen.)

Any recommendations?

One option is a ring magnet and ball bearing. Mount the former to the plane and the latter to the end of the flight stand, you can swivel around at will. Its what most x-wing people do who magnetize their bases.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

berzerkmonkey posted:

Related, for those who use it, I picked up some Regdab - how do I apply it?

Dip the needle in through the top and set it on some papertowel.

Put little drops wherever there are threads or action.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

Dip the needle in through the top and set it on some papertowel.

Put little drops wherever there are threads or action.

Thanks.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Booley and Electric Hobo are right, the face does look a bit flat. My suggestions: Do a thin black line around the eye to set it apart from the rest of the face and give the appearance of eyelashes. (I'd also suggest expanding the pupil for a more natural look.) You might also consider putting a small amount of thinned Reikland Fleshshade in the areas where shadows would fall, like around the eye, under the jaw, the sides of the nose, and especially on the lips.
The metal and cloth are aces, though. Nice work!

e.: Also, thanks for reminding me, I've got a Greyfax that I keep meaning to convert to a "fantasy" style for the steampunk chronomancer band I'm very slowly building for Frostgrave.

Did some attempts at deepening the face, alongside a bunch of other small fixes (such as the flame on the lil' candle that nobody noticed!)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there someone I can ship models to and have them painted in exchange for american dollars?

I like moving the mans around the table, but my hands shake like Michael J Fox with DTs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Deviant posted:

Is there someone I can ship models to and have them painted in exchange for american dollars?

I like moving the mans around the table, but my hands shake like Michael J Fox with DTs.

Getting stuff commissioned is pretty expensive.

Something to consider is a cheap airbrush setup. Basecoat then drybrush, wash and be done. Shaky hands won't matter and you'll have presentable stuff (albeit in a solid color) for far less than it would cost you to have someone paint your stuff.

Unless you really want a nicely painted army, but expect to shell out a fair bit of cash (den of imagination for example charges like 8-12 bucks per model).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shadin posted:

That owns. How has Mantic's sculpts progressed? They used to advertise something like that but in real life it looked more like this:

This photo sends me into goatman-like waves of nostalgia now.

yeeee

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Getting stuff commissioned is pretty expensive.

Something to consider is a cheap airbrush setup. Basecoat then drybrush, wash and be done. Shaky hands won't matter and you'll have presentable stuff (albeit in a solid color) for far less than it would cost you to have someone paint your stuff.

Unless you really want a nicely painted army, but expect to shell out a fair bit of cash (den of imagination for example charges like 8-12 bucks per model).

Requires slightly less shaky hands, but if you mask areas with Vallejo Liquid Mask you can get multicolored minis with little airbrush skill. I've pit it against acrylic, enamel, lacquer, and oils, none have penetrated it, and it doesnt rip off dried paint.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

Did some attempts at deepening the face, alongside a bunch of other small fixes (such as the flame on the lil' candle that nobody noticed!)

That definitely looks better. I can see where the different facial features are now. Nice work!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kitbashed up a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut for my bloodbound force. Hows the axe look? The basic axe I felt was just a little too boring, so i wanted to make it a little more interesting.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

Requires slightly less shaky hands, but if you mask areas with Vallejo Liquid Mask you can get multicolored minis with little airbrush skill. I've pit it against acrylic, enamel, lacquer, and oils, none have penetrated it, and it doesnt rip off dried paint.

I use liquid mask a fair bit and like it. I also highly recommend MiG Masking Putty, that poo poo is amazing and gives cleaner edges than liquid mask: http://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/524-camouflage-masking-putty.html

They definitely both have their place for me, here's an example of using the putty:

Works for all kinds of shapes. Not pictured is how I used it to mask the canopy to prime and paint the frame but leave the glass untouched.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Kitbashed up a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut for my bloodbound force. Hows the axe look? The basic axe I felt was just a little too boring, so i wanted to make it a little more interesting.

It's certainly... phallic.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hoping if I can solicit your goon thoughts on how to paint the witchblade here (model about 80% complete, need to fix blending and touchups, and finish eyes/gems). I could go red as with the gems, but I'm not sure that's not going to drown out the model or look to Christmas-y. Purple or Blue perhaps?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bonds0097 posted:

You may need to see a doctor, or possibly a psychologist.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

So it's good then?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

You may need to see a doctor, or possibly a psychologist.

"Whaddya mean *I* have a sex obsession? You're the one who keeps showing me all these dirty pictures!"

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I may have made a mistake, so I got a badger 105 airbrush to replace the crappy amazon special which broke, except the hose has what looks like a 1/4 input when the cheapo compressor I have has what I am guessing is a 1/8th output. I don't want to just go and order things willy nilly in an attempt to fix it, does anyone have any suggestions?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

R0ckfish posted:

I may have made a mistake, so I got a badger 105 airbrush to replace the crappy amazon special which broke, except the hose has what looks like a 1/4 input when the cheapo compressor I have has what I am guessing is a 1/8th output. I don't want to just go and order things willy nilly in an attempt to fix it, does anyone have any suggestions?

If you got a Master branded compressor, I'd recommend these.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Do you mean the connection on the badger is different then your hose? Badger uses a different size, I got a quick disconnect for the hose and the matching adapter for the airbrush.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Any weapon that isn't the Throwing Anus is phallic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

If you got a Master branded compressor, I'd recommend these.

Badger also sells adapters to fit other manufacturers' air hoses. I have one on my Sotar that matches the quick-disconnect fitting that came with my Master compressor, works just fine. Badger also has excellent customer service, if you need help selecting an adapter.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Hey Bulbasaur:

Chipping medium, can I apply it with an airbrush or should I brush it on? Should I apply it over the entire thing or just the area I want to chip? Can I mask over it with tamiya tape?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

So, not really a painting question, but I'm not sure where else to ask: I'm looking for a miniature (28mm scale) to represent a male Dragonborn Druid with a staff. I've been hunting around like a maniac, but can't find much that doesn't stray too heavily into lizardman. Can someone help me find something better, that isn't the lifeless husk that is Heroforge?

For reference, this is so far my best choice, which is only about 8% dragon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Signal posted:

So, not really a painting question, but I'm not sure where else to ask: I'm looking for a miniature (28mm scale) to represent a male Dragonborn Druid with a staff. I've been hunting around like a maniac, but can't find much that doesn't stray too heavily into lizardman. Can someone help me find something better, that isn't the lifeless husk that is Heroforge?

For reference, this is so far my best choice, which is only about 8% dragon:

Maybe something here?

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#search/Male Dragonman Caster

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, already checked Reaper. The best I could find was the model I posted, but most of their "Dragonman" offerings are kinda garbage.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Signal posted:

Yeah, already checked Reaper. The best I could find was the model I posted, but most of their "Dragonman" offerings are kinda garbage.

Did you check Reptus on there? Some of them look a little more scalie.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Did you check Reptus on there? Some of them look a little more scalie.

Yeah, I actually spent a day combing through everything on Reaper's site. That model was the Reptus Cleric, but still looks too much like a lizardman. I'm really hoping someone knows of some small company that has something to offer, as I've already checked most of the big manufacturers.

Thanks though!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Signal posted:

Yeah, I actually spent a day combing through everything on Reaper's site. That model was the Reptus Cleric, but still looks too much like a lizardman. I'm really hoping someone knows of some small company that has something to offer, as I've already checked most of the big manufacturers.

Thanks though!

Yeah, sorry. Reaper is sort of my go-to for any random request because they've got such a stupidly deep catalog for most stuff.

:shrug:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hero Forge has half-dragons, if you want to design your own. a little expensive, but okay.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Signal posted:

Thanks though!

What's the difference between a dragon-man and a lizard-man? Especially at 28mm? Loads of the official D&D art has some very lizard looking dragonborn characters.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
A bit on the primitive side, but possibly ShadowSea's Draconid Shaman. Mantic's Kings of War has some lizardy/dragony dudes although none specifically with a staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's been a couple weeks but I finally busted out my Macromat and got a few pictures of what I've been painting.
A Techmarine - fun to convert, fun to paint:

20 State Troops - painting masses of dudes is way easier when they don't have bling hanging everywhere:

Arcane Ruins - this set is easy to assemble but ugh there's so many gaps to fill and they're really awful. After gap filling and sanding it looks okay: