Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I distribute my art entirely by stapling it to electrical poles around town and putting a rusty tin can underneath and hope that people get the message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

They claim the change is necessary to keep the lights on...except the change was supposed to help the creators, not Patreon.

Did anyone believe that? Like, even for a second? If that had been true they would have abandoned the new fee structure once it became clear that the creator consensus was overwhelmingly negative.

What I want to know is, where the gently caress did the $60 mil go?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alaois posted:

I distribute my art entirely by stapling it to electrical poles around town and putting a rusty tin can underneath and hope that people get the message

I tie mine page by page to flocks of sparrows and throw them free from my roof.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
In Poppy, I feel like Petunia looking and acting more and more like an Asura's Wrath boss over the course of this scene bodes poorly for her.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
whoa Poppy

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zero_Tactility posted:

In Poppy, I feel like Petunia looking and acting more and more like an Asura's Wrath boss over the course of this scene bodes poorly for her.

This is an extremely accurate description on every level. Also I'm a tad disappointed her main deal seems to be giant magic TK arms, rather than just supreme martial arts mastery.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The more she puts into this fight, the less it becomes "I have to stop you because I can't stop the real problem" and more "I have to stop you because if you win then I could have stopped the real problem years ago".

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tenebrais posted:

The more she puts into this fight, the less it becomes "I have to stop you because I can't stop the real problem" and more "I have to stop you because if you win then I could have stopped the real problem years ago".

Poppy already pointed out that they obviously have a chance of winning. If they didn't, Mob Bird wouldn't be going after them so hard. So yeah, this whole thing is Petunia being stupid and awful.

I wonder if it ties into her mom somehow. Petunia's central damage seems to be that her mom left or at least failed to prioritize family and village sufficiently. Maybe she feels like she has to make these sacrifices or she'll be just like her mom.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

PMush Perfect posted:

Question: Have you ever made or sold anything? Ever?

Sure I have, I directed a short film last this! year: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/698877 I've gotten into film festivals! I've sold tiny zine comics to local comic stores. some of them pay you upfront! My accomplishments are small but they're all mine.

And HERE is an image from the thing I'm making now, Duck Comics Dot World!!!

fun hater posted:

this is a wee bit apocalyptic

I don't really see how!

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 10, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Wittgen posted:

Poppy already pointed out that they obviously have a chance of winning. If they didn't, Mob Bird wouldn't be going after them so hard. So yeah, this whole thing is Petunia being stupid and awful.

I wonder if it ties into her mom somehow. Petunia's central damage seems to be that her mom left or at least failed to prioritize family and village sufficiently. Maybe she feels like she has to make these sacrifices or she'll be just like her mom.

Her mom was also an abusive paranoiac who turned her into a combat juggernaut as seen here. Edit: as shown by her 'children HAVE done this' line during Poppy's basically impossible training. Also, mom's an implied germophobe given the 'queasy' faces. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure Petunia defaulted to 'fight Poppy' because she likes fighting and had to get herself cursed to give it up.

...it is also worth noting that Petunia literally can't do anything (combat-wise) about Chicadino, because she can't do violence to anyone but possums.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 10, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

...it is also worth noting that Petunia literally can't do anything (combat-wise) about Chicadino, because she can't do violence to anyone but possums.

So the person who is in a somewhat privileged position but still low enough to be abused by the ones nearer the top has a self-inflicted condition that makes her literally incapable of fighting against those above her while being capable of using violent force only against members of an oppressed underclass.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FunkyAl posted:

Sure I have, I directed a short film last this! year: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/698877

This is Good

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Zerilan posted:

So the person who is in a somewhat privileged position but still low enough to be abused by the ones nearer the top has a self-inflicted condition that makes her literally incapable of fighting against those above her while being capable of using violent force only against members of an oppressed underclass.

Yeah that wasn't a defense of Petunia, just an explanation of why she's not actually useful to change the status quo.
Also she didn't realize that she could beat up on possums before recently, which I can only imagine is good for possumkind.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah that wasn't a defense of Petunia, just an explanation of why she's not actually useful to change the status quo.
Also she didn't realize that she could beat up on possums before recently, which I can only imagine is good for possumkind.

With how powerful she is, she could definitely be helpful without beating up people personally.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I just meant that I suspect the narrative doesn't want us to just see her as an idiot, rather than someone in a weird position with some serious baggage who has become a tool of the antagonists through that.

It's always a bit disappointing when a story suggests that what the main character did or set out to do is easy, simple, and really could have been done a long time ago. It devalues the story we actually got to read to hear 'and all of this was entirely unnecessary!' (Obviously social ills were never 'necessary' - I just mean narratively).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I just meant that I suspect the narrative doesn't want us to just see her as an idiot, rather than someone in a weird position with some serious baggage who has become a tool of the antagonists through that.

It's always a bit disappointing when a story suggests that what the main character did or set out to do is easy, simple, and really could have been done a long time ago. It devalues the story we actually got to read to hear 'and all of this was entirely unnecessary!' (Obviously social ills were never 'necessary' - I just mean narratively).

It's not that it's "easy" or "hard" so much as that Poppy, the protagonist, has a completely different perspective on the treehouse animal society and wants completely different things out of it i.e. she has nothing invested in the status quo and risks losing nothing personally from burning the whole thing down over how its higher ranks treat possums. Any idiot with a knife can do surgery if you don't see a problem with killing the patient.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's not that it's "easy" or "hard" so much as that Poppy, the protagonist, has a completely different perspective on the treehouse animal society and wants completely different things out of it i.e. she has nothing invested in the status quo and risks losing nothing personally from burning the whole thing down over how its higher ranks treat possums. Any idiot with a knife can do surgery if you don't see a problem with killing the patient.

Yeah, absolutely!
I agree - and I think hers is basically a healthier perspective, as well, in the long run. I just think that Petunia has a little more going on than purely moral cowardice (that's a good part of it, to be clear, but I think 'intense desire to do violence' is also worth noting).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm volunteering at a Red Cross shelter. Someone left Chick Tracts on the toiletries table because of course they did.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I'm volunteering at a Red Cross shelter. Someone left Chick Tracts on the toiletries table because of course they did.

Glue Oglaf images on to random panels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Leave zootopia fanfic

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

They claim the change is necessary to keep the lights on...except the change was supposed to help the creators, not Patreon. Patreon's still supposedly just taking the usual 5%, and moving the payment processor fee from the Creator side to the Patron side (while substantially increasing the number of these fees for stupid reasons). Nominally, according to their stated intentions, Patreon doesn't see any extra income from this. That's certainly bullshit, but what the announcement said conflicts with what Jack told Jeph.
Their #1 customer service complaint from Creators was unpredictable income, and as Jeph says...that's how business, especially creative, works. Hell, I bet people who work retail and food service would love for their income to be as predictable as Patreon's.

It appears that by moving to separate transactions it's pay pal eating up all those extra fees not Patreon.

From the fact they aren't backing down it seems they have to, according to post by cool person Dan:

FoldableHuman posted:

So Drip is working a little bit differently from both Patreon and Kickstarter in that you can't sub/donate an amount that isn't a defined tier. I've found a few creators who have $1 tiers, but it's up to the individual creator to offer that.

Also Drip's basic structure is functionally identical to the structure that Patreon is moving to, they've just done the thing that everyone was telling Patreon they should have done and left all the fees creator-side. That puts it up to the creator to decide if 66˘ on a $1 sub is worth it. The patron sees $5, pays $5.

Something that's kinda hard to keep in mind between the (well founded) sense of betrayal and duplicity engendered by the way Patreon has handled the roll out is that the new Patreon system is basically what everyone else (Drip, Gratipay) is already doing/planning to do. Patreon's batching of small donations was their selling point, it made it more efficient to sub to lots of people. Drip isn't going to fill that void, they're going to operate like Kickstarter as a principally creator-facing platform, a tool that creators use, rather than a social media destination (which is what Patreon wants to be). Just like Kickstarter, each Drip is handled as an individual bill, on a cycle that starts when you sub. Exactly what Patreon is moving to.

Since it sounds like Patreon is going through with it regardless of the PR damage, it more or less confirms something that was present-but-unsaid in my phone call with Patreon, which is that there's far bigger regulatory issues driving the change, regulatory issues that they're paradoxically not allowed to publicly explain because saying "we're making these changes to comply with regulation" is tacitly admitting that they have, up to now, been breaking the law.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I recognized some Chick Tracts at a food truck I went to and had to explain to my friends why I was amused or knew what they were.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Leave zootopia fanfic

They're already traumatized enough by the fires.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomPauI posted:

Maybe they were leaving those for anyone caught short on the loo.

In Webcomics news: Shelley's not kidding.

We have an actual Esther De Groot sighting in Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round! It's a Christmas miracle!

And she's apparently...talking to a red robot? Man, Giant Days must be going in some weird directions. (Nice use of panel blocking to conceal who, if anyone, she showed up with, though). And I think that's Jack's sister's friend Lauren he's talking to. Oh, and Elliot's there, maybe talking to Holly.

Shelby Winner's a bit of a surprise. Although that might be Mrs. Lord, considering Ken's right there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe they were leaving those for anyone caught short on the loo.

In Webcomics news: Shelley's not kidding.

We have an actual Esther De Groot sighting in Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round! It's a Christmas miracle!

And she's apparently...talking to a red robot? Man, Giant Days must be going in some weird directions. (Nice use of panel blocking to conceal who, if anyone, she showed up with, though). And I think that's Jack's sister's friend Lauren he's talking to. Oh, and Elliot's there, maybe talking to Holly.

Shelby Winner's a bit of a surprise. Although that might be Mrs. Lord, considering Ken's right there.

She's probably talking to the ambassador of Robotamia. This is the time for weird cameos from all times, but yeah, pretty impressive to have Esther show up at Scary Go Round after all this time. Reactions from Erin and Eustace to her presence suddenly appear more urgent than Future-Scout's plan.

I wonder if John Allison's original plan was to literally have Scout blow up the party and kill every single character from Scary Go Round to end the comic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, Red Robot. Late of Diesel Sweeties and Exploding Dog, and my wife's socks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ZearothK posted:

I wonder if John Allison's original plan was to literally have Scout blow up the party and kill every single character from Scary Go Round to end the comic.

Almost certainly. The final print collection of the original Scary Go Round includes rough draft notes and concept sketches for how he wanted to end SGR back in 2009 - which involved a Tackleford-leveling battle between giant robots that was to leave just 3 or 4 named characters alive in the end (I want to say they were Esther and the Mystery Girls? I don't have the book at hand to check at the moment.) It seems like JA's default setting when he's planning on winding a project down is "Burn it to the ground," only to mellow considerably when he sits down to actually commit the story to record. That final panel of Scout is sufficiently ominous, though.

Missing from Shelley's party: my favorite Tackleford personality/crowd shot filler, TV's Mr. Gravy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Stormgale posted:

It appears that by moving to separate transactions it's pay pal eating up all those extra fees not Patreon.

From the fact they aren't backing down it seems they have to, according to post by cool person Dan:

"they are lying about their motivations" is really the only sensible reading of what they are doing. Like he says, their support for small donations is the whole reason they exist - by bunching up transactions, they offered the ability to give more money to artists while charging less to Patrons and having less stuff be tangled up in processing fees.

Now they've hosed it all up, and none of their reasoning, none of the repeated excuses they keep coming out with, make a lick of sense. Their new one "Oh, we had a problem with people signing up for patrons and then un-signing up" is probably the stupidest one yet.

The real question is - why are they lying?

If they really aren't going to be making any money off it, I suppose "being in violation of the law" might be a possible explanation? But I have no reason to believe anything they say at this point, so they might just be planning on making money off it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2017

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

"they are lying about their motivations" is really the only sensible reading of what they are doing. Like he says, their support for small donations is the whole reason they exist - by bunching up transactions, they offered the ability to give more money to artists while charging less to Patrons and having less stuff be tangled up in processing fees.

Now they've hosed it all up, and none of their reasoning, none of the repeated excuses they keep coming out with, make a lick of sense. Their new one "Oh, we had a problem with people signing up for patrons and then un-signing up" is probably the stupidest one yet.

The real question is - why are they lying?

If they really aren't going to be making any money off it, I suppose "being in violation of the law" might be a possible explanation? But I have no reason to believe anything they say at this point, so they might just be planning on making money off it.

They don’t want small creators or donors on their site. Period. Their reasoning is basically the internet equivalent of “Mah property values!” :downs:. They think that small creators and donors make the service look trashy and discourages larger clients from joining.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oneiros posted:

They don’t want small creators or donors on their site. Period. Their reasoning is basically the internet equivalent of “Mah property values!” :downs:. They think that small creators and donors make the service look trashy and discourages larger clients from joining.

Anyone the fee increases don’t drive off expect some more bullshit designed to gently caress with with them. I’ve already seen multiple reports of minimum pledges being a/b tested.

ed; quote is not edit :saddowns:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oneiros posted:

based on what? Their whole business model is "kickstarter for dudes too small-time for Kickstarter"

tbh I have no problem believing that the guys who took years to solve the problem of "guy subscribes, scrapes the account for all subscription content since the dawn of time, then unsubs without ever paying a dime" hosed this up in exactly the boneheaded nonsense way they describe

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

based on what? Their whole business model is "kickstarter for dudes too small-time for Kickstarter"

tbh I have no problem believing that the guys who took years to solve the problem of "guy subscribes, scrapes the account for all subscription content since the dawn of time, then unsubs without ever paying a dime" hosed this up in exactly the boneheaded nonsense way they describe

Interview with a PM on the growth team at Patreon https://brianbalfour.com/essays/patreon-onboarding-growth

quote:

Raviv explains, "We'd rather have our GMV be made up of fewer, but truly life-changed creators rather than a lot of creators making a few dollars."

quote:

At Patreon, Creator growth is key not because it triggers more Patrons (it does that as well), but because it seeds more Creator growth

quote:

By the same token, a high-converting step could actually result in turning away the right Creators, because suddenly there would be lots of live Patreon pages with uninspiring revenue results (Creator earnings are publicly visible on each Patreon page).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Isn't money money, why poopoo guys who have lots of small donations

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

It's a branding thing. They're afraid that if people think Patreon is for poors that established artists aren't going to take it seriously. A single successful creator can bring in as much money as 100 obscure webcomics and youtube channels, so they're willing to tell small timers to gently caress off if they think it will help grow their roster of big timers by a few percent.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Calaveron posted:

Because they've taken in way too much capital relative to their revenue, which actually means that they've sold their company for more than it's worth to aggressive investors who are now handing down directives of "grow faster, now, or we'll find someone who can."

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
It's almost like capitalism ruins everything...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has any good decision ever been made because an investor told someone to do it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a branding thing. They're afraid that if people think Patreon is for poors that established artists aren't going to take it seriously. A single successful creator can bring in as much money as 100 obscure webcomics and youtube channels, so they're willing to tell small timers to gently caress off if they think it will help grow their roster of big timers by a few percent.

Ah, the youtube model.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

PMush Perfect posted:

Has any good decision ever been made because an investor told someone to do it?

Well, kickstarter has shown that while video game publishers can gently caress over a project, they also force people to actually finish their project. Without someone breathing down their neck, there are plenty of folk who'll just doddle and waste funds and the whole thing goes under without even being finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This take makes the most sense to me out of what I've seen: Patreon doesn't want to be a "money services business"