Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

rydiafan posted:

I just need to know what this guy does, because his adorable rear end is going in all my decks no matter what.

He spawns a random Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Man, I've been getting stomped the last two days. And it's been, like, my Skellige deck against NR after NR. I am considering crafting some sort of a cheap NR deck to hop on the NR faction train to get the gold.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Semi-random. It's using the new "pick from three random cards" mechanic they're instituting.

Good enough for me. I'll run him, the new Isengrim, and Avalla'ch the Sage for maximum yolo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Boulder pushes a card to the next row 'unless it's full' in which case it's destroyed. Are they introducing a row unit limit? It's not a bad idea actually and would go a long way towards rectifying the 'everything is flexible' trend

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Boulder pushes a card to the next row 'unless it's full' in which case it's destroyed. Are they introducing a row unit limit? It's not a bad idea actually and would go a long way towards rectifying the 'everything is flexible' trend

A row limit was pretty much guaranteed after they revealed the Neutral Peasant Militia card

They need to make the game friendly to mobile anyway

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm excited for uma and slave driver for my current favourite deck, nilfgaard with avalach: sage, hanmarvyn's blue dream, summoning circle, and vico novices. Now I can get even more copies of random or enemy cards!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that parasite card art. Don't look closely at it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

No Wave posted:

that parasite card art. Don't look closely at it.

the premium version is very nice

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Where are people finding these premium version?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

They showed on the stream, it really was something else...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

frajaq posted:

They showed on the stream, it really was something else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObMW_1XRXD4

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Lmao that owns.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just lost a game and I want to know if I got hosed over by a glitch or I'm missing something.

I was playing against Spella'teal and round one played Avalla'ch: The Sage. Nothing happened, meaning there were no gold or silver units in my opponent's deck. Annoying, but given how spell-heavy the deck is I didn't question it. Round three he played Alzur's Double Cross and it summoned Ciaran. What happened? Why wasn't Ciaran in the deck for my play, but was for his?

Fake edit: Unless he mulliganed it back into his deck after round 1 or 2, I guess. That's weird but I can't think of anything else.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

Fake edit: Unless he mulliganed it back into his deck after round 1 or 2, I guess. That's weird but I can't think of anything else.

That's almost certainly what happened.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Reddit's meltdown over the RNG cards today is hilarious

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'm going to be honest: he latest batch put a dent on my hype train. I was fine with spawn but now it seems that they are flooding the card pool with lazy "spawn x" cards some of which have a lot of variance. The two leaders especially were very disappointing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Trogdos! posted:

I'm going to be honest: he latest batch put a dent on my hype train. I was fine with spawn but now it seems that they are flooding the card pool with lazy "spawn x" cards some of which have a lot of variance. The two leaders especially were very disappointing.

so don't play them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Reddit is getting bent out of shape without being able to articulate why they're angry, and the cards exist to serve a purpose.

For the former, RNG isn't the end all be all of a good card game. Card games are INHERENTLY RNG because of needing to shuffle your deck and draw a limited number of cards. Thinning and consistency are always valuable tenants in all card games, because being able to draw and pull off your game plan consistency is good for your overall win rate. If you have a combo that going off wins 100% of the time, and you can draw into it consistently about 60% of the time, you have a 60% winrate deck which is really good. If you have a combo with a 100% winrate but you've got like 5% odds of pulling it off, you'll have a terrible winrate (see those old if you play this and you have 200 cards in your deck, you win MTG cards)

Now, RNG on its own is fine. It's okay to have RNG cards with big results, like battle of wits because it's so inconsistent that nobody will play it in a competitive setting, so it becomes a fun card for people to dick around with casually.

The problem is making RNG cards that are inconsistent by nature of being random, but with average results that are still above the value of non RNG cards. Like if the new leaders came out today and they were 10 points or something ridiculous instead of just being 6 points, we'd have a problem. Most of the cards so far are seeming below average, where even the above average results aren't game breaking. NR pulling a Morkvarg is about as annoying as NR just... playing their own loving Morkvarg, Ronvid. If we've got a Yogg Saron situation on our hands, where some spawn card ends up finding a home in every single competitive deck, they'll probably dial it down a little bit.

My own problems with the cards is that the pool of cards for most of the spawn effects is really huge. The monsters Organic spawn leader seems fine, but the NR leader has a huge pool of cursed units to draw from, including silvers for some reason? It's annoying to play around poo poo you can only barely expect because of a clutch rear end RNG play, like setting up carryover and then bam they windmill slam a Morkvarg with their spawn power. It also makes it a pain in the rear end to balance in the future, where every time you want to make a cursed unit you have to go "hm does this tip this old spawn card too far over the edge by making its average results too strong?"

The latter reason from my original point, is that the cards exist for the upcoming new game mode, which they even said the cards are being made for. If it's some kind of arena or draft, having a lot of new "this card is always strong in any archetype" cards to draft is a good addition to the game. They also serve as generally strong value cards for budget players and new players, something else Reddit always cries when they want free poo poo without actually considering if something isn't for them, but for new players.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

a lot of gwent players are very :smuggo: about how much better gwent is compared to hearthstone in their eyes so this is a huge offense in their eyes

personally don't care about how much RNG is it, I play Gwent because of how much more F2P friendly it is

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Gwent is still the best digital card game around but its game design has been confusing and directionless for a while now.

The new cards unfortunately seem to confirm that CDProjekt doesn't know what the gently caress. Game also lost a poo poo ton of new players for the constant massive overhauls, and repeating "b-b-but it's an open beta" doesn't help when it's everyone's first impression.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 9, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think they've said it's coming to Steam, so if they coincide the game leaving open beta + releasing thronebreaker + going on steam, it probably will be a lot of people's first impressions at that point in time.

Development does feel very, very slow for a card game, but I'm willing to let up on that if Thronebreaker is amazing... which by what little we've seen and based on Witcher 3, it should be really good.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
The new leaders were, art aside, pretty drat boring. The Hillock should've had a much cooler effect. It feels like they're low-effort fodder for the new game mode they've mentioned.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So can these Spawn Leaders get cards cross-factions? If yes that could get really funny

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I feel like some factions just get boring leaders. These would fit right in with scoiatel! Draw a specific card, play a dwarf or silver, re-play a special are pretty boring, even if in practice they can get a lot done. I don't really mind this discover stuff, but I don't play high ranked games in which I'm supposed to know every card in my opponent's deck list from the start of the match.

I've never played eternal or shadowverse, but I do like that I feel gwent gets new cards pretty often compared to other card games, though I'm sure it will slow down eventually.

Also going to build slavery nilfgaard deck as soon as update hits.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Captainicus posted:

I feel like some factions just get boring leaders. These would fit right in with scoiatel! Draw a specific card, play a dwarf or silver, re-play a special are pretty boring, even if in practice they can get a lot done. I don't really mind this discover stuff, but I don't play high ranked games in which I'm supposed to know every card in my opponent's deck list from the start of the match.

I've never played eternal or shadowverse, but I do like that I feel gwent gets new cards pretty often compared to other card games, though I'm sure it will slow down eventually.

Also going to build slavery nilfgaard deck as soon as update hits.

I don't like cross-faction cards like dorregaray but I also think variety is good and i hate the cookie-cutter decks even if they make sense if you need consistency

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

frajaq posted:

a lot of gwent players are very :smuggo: about how much better gwent is compared to hearthstone in their eyes so this is a huge offense in their eyes

Never played Hearthstone, but the new Spawn mechanic is a pretty big change from the current Gwent game. There really isn't much randomness in the current game (aside from the inherent RNG in any card game, which in Gwent is mitigated significantly by small deck sizes, few draws, and many deck thinning tools). What little RNG there is in the card mechanics can often be mitigated as well by deck construction and/or mulligans, card positioning, play timing, etc.. Sure, every so often you'll see a crazy lucky roll of the dice where a random target resolve perfectly sets up a Scorch or some other big play, but that's pretty rare. While random effects can occasionally decide games, their impact is usually minimal and is usually overshadowed by clever moves or misplays from either player throughout the rest of the game. It's very rare that I'll win or lose a game and go "well, that would have turned out differently if only random effect X had done Y instead of Z...", and that's really something I like about the game; when I lose, it's usually because I hosed up, and if I go back and consider or look I can generally see exactly how and learn from it.

Spawn as a mechanic is a total departure from that; it just grabs a few cards from a large subset determined by the game that you have no control over and lets you pick one to play. There's nothing a player using a Spawn card can really do to influence the outcome in his favor, and there's nothing an opponent can do to play around it; either you get lucky and one of the options it pulls is perfect for the current situation, or you get unlucky and end up with three lovely options. It also exacerbates the Dorregaray problem, since many of them can pull cards from other factions; this makes balancing the faction cards in those potential Spawn pools more difficult, as you not only have to consider the effect on their own faction interactions, you have to be careful not to create some obscenely broken combo with another faction's archetype that could potentially be abused regularly via Spawn. That rather limits what you can do when trying to come up with creative new mechanics.

Guess we'll just have to see how well it ends up working in practice. I'd guess there's every chance that Spawn in general will just end up relegated to meme deck status because of the sheer inconsistency, unless Swim or someone discovers some hilariously broken combo and creates the next Mill archetype with it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Those spawn cards are for this new game mode they're planning (probably some kind of draft/arena) that they're being really mysterious about it :thunk:

also will only release next year :thunk:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

frajaq posted:

Those spawn cards are for this new game mode they're planning (probably some kind of draft/arena) that they're being really mysterious about it :thunk:

also will only release next year :thunk:
Where are you getting this "for the new game mode" thing from? Has it been stated anywhere that the discover cards won't be playable on ladder?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I should have said "Those spawn cards were designed for this new game mode in mind"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

frajaq posted:

I should have said "Those spawn cards were designed for this new game mode in mind"
What does this mean? They'll likely be playable in ranked. Discover is a really strong effect. I don't really understand how that changes anything dennyk said. I also don't think it's true. Here's rethaz talking about spawn:

quote:

Because allowing people to choose from specific selection like this will lead to a lot of problems that we've seen the game go through in the past. Operator is a dangerous card for this reason. E.G focus on 1 unit and create many guaranteed copies of it.

That sounds like a constructed issue.

I think that in general spawn is an attempt to add variance to the game when in reality that should be done by increasing deck size.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 9, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I was never saying dennyk was wrong? I was poking fun at these dumb devs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

frajaq posted:

I was never saying dennyk was wrong? I was poking fun at these dumb devs
My bad.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I was just cursing how much the rng hates me and then I hanmarvyn'd the opposing avallach sage, spawned his vilgefortz, killed avallach and drew my last super strength protector

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I keep winning games that I probably should have lost because my opponents keep doing really dumb things. Had a Radovid guy play an early Siege Master in round 1 on a board with no machines the other day, and it seems like half the opponents I go up against take R1 easily, but then try to 2-0 me in R2 instead of taking ideal pass opportunities and end up blowing all their big value plays and losing. And these aren't low-rank players, either; hell, I just made rank 20 against an NG spy deck who forfeited when I played Siggy as my last card, despite the fact that I had nothing in the graveyard worth enough points to win or even draw. Whether he was distracted or he just OD'd on Bran-salt, I've no idea.

Edit: And the very next game my Henselt opponent managed to brick his own Commander's Horn with Borkh by dropping him on an occupied row. He ended up having to play the Horn on my side, which then negated what would have been a 3x8-point Scorch (as far as he knew, anyway; I'd held my own spy in reserve to put the kibosh on any Borkh shenanigans, but he didn't know that...)

dennyk fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
They messed up handing out the rewards for the Skel vs NR event so enjoy your premium Madman Lugos AND Dijkstra!

edit: apparently it's only if you supported NR, if you went Skellige enjoy your 100 meteorite dust :shrug:

Goblin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 11, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Goblin posted:

They messed up handing out the rewards for the Skel vs NR event so enjoy your premium Madman Lugos AND Dijkstra!

Hahaha. Yeah, I got both.

Sweet.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Final Reveal Dev Stream tomorrow 9 PM CET

They said it's gonna be a short one so likely won't show the rest of the cards, but hopefully will give us a date on release

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Goblin posted:

edit: apparently it's only if you supported NR, if you went Skellige enjoy your 100 meteorite dust :shrug:

Whelp, I'm glad I played neither and then managed to scrape together a really lovely Northern Realms deck and win a game after about 9 losses in casual last night.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

why would you play casual

why do you hate yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I sometimes do a round in casual when I have one round to win for the daily.