Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Bang and Bomb to fall into the Fountain of Youth and become even more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for Bang and Bomb to fall into the Fountain of Youth and become even more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Ura Urashima is in for a big surprise when he goes against them in the Dark Tournament.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Ura Urashima is in for a big surprise when he goes against them in the Dark Tournament.

I know it's a Yu Yu Hakusho reference but I don't get the joke.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

where the red fern gropes posted:

Blast killed Dumbledore

Blast did 9/11

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Blast is Saitama's father.

logger posted:

Blast did 9/11

Blast can't melt steel beams.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im blast

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

you suck

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RareAcumen posted:

I know it's a Yu Yu Hakusho reference but I don't get the joke.

Urashima has a box that basically turns you into a baby, but the guy he used it on had been an immensely powerful demon fox before his current life as a human teenager so he ends up returning to his "youth" as the fox instead, and immediately kills the poo poo out of Urashima.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hope they never show Blast ever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i mean

they kinda just did

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

MiniFoo posted:

me after reading this chapter (these chapters?):

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I hope they never show Blast ever

Blast appears on panel but immediately eats poo poo and dies just like Elijah Wood in the 3rd Spy Kids movie.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MiniFoo posted:

me after reading this chapter (these chapters?):

despite being a comedy, the humor of OPM doesn't really land for me a lot of the time (the best joke i can remember right now is the porcupine monster with the FREE HUGS sign) but god did i let out a HAH outloud when reading this part in public

Kild posted:

you suck
fair. i dont show up anymore cause im just playing video games and posting on forums

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't think the porcupine joke was that good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'You turned Genos into modern art.' is fantastic and I love it. I can't say I remember any recent jokes though. It's more just reactions, like Speed of Sound Sonic (lol) seeing Saitama making shockwaves with just sidehopping. Or being annoyed at getting his rear end kicked in a game by King over and over only for that vein on his head disappearing when he thinks of Genos lying battered and broken on the ground.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

graham cracker posted:

So for Saitama, being a hero is a hobby. He just wants a good challenge that makes him feel again. What if there was a hero that Saitama noticed was similar in strength and could actually challenge him, but it was a hero so he couldn't seriously fight them?

Saitama doesn't really want a challenge either. He doesn't like losing to King all the time. Saitama is just a neet who doesn't knows what he wants.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Going by the naming convention rule, Blast has to be the brother of Bang and Bomb, right? Also some kind of martial artist.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OPM isn't really a jokes manga to me, it's a "some things that happen are funny" type of comedy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's like King of the Hill in that the humor is more the contradictions of the setting and the quirks of the characters expressed naturally rather than specific gags or setups and punchlines, for the most part.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

OPM isn't really a jokes manga to me, it's a "some things that happen are funny" type of comedy.

The bonus chapters are very jokey and frequent but agreed. I just thought it was weird when I came into the thread after that chapter and there was a lot of posting about the hugs sign.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Penny Arcade at its prime were the best 'comedy' comic in both web and print IMHO, because their strips did not rely on 'setup setup punchline' but rather bizarre situations and conversations that were consistently funny all the way through. Sometimes a strip had a hilarious first panel and the last panel was just there to provide a reasonable exit.

The reason this is a superior approach is that if you have only one punchline, the strip falls flat if the jokes sucks, but if every panel contains multiple jokes there is a vastly superior chance that something in the strip will be enjoyable.

OPM is like that, there are no punchlines, instead the settings and situations are the jokes.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 11, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's like King of the Hill in that the humor is more the contradictions of the setting and the quirks of the characters expressed naturally rather than specific gags or setups and punchlines, for the most part.

yeah its this

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's at least one punchline

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Elfface posted:

There's at least one punchline

THAT'S MY GENOS! I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mr. Lobe posted:

you're totally not wrong but comparing OPM and King of the Hill in comedy levels kinda broke my brain for a sec

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yeah OPM is good.

:^)

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Hank would be Saitama. Bill would be Pig God. Dale would be King. Boomhauer would be *Sweet Mask*. Peggy would be Tatsumaki. *Ladybird would be Genos.*

BBL drawing some fanart.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 11, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

graham cracker posted:

Hank would be Saitama. Bill would be Pig God. Dale would be King. Boomhauer would be *Sweet Mask*. Peggy would be Tatsumaki. *Ladybird would be Genos.*

BBL drawing some fanart.

I think Joseph would be Genos. He always seems to be trying, but keeps getting himself owned by mistake.

Monster Association is Thatherton Fuels.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

yeah OPM is good.

:^)
eh

disagree

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wow.

Mods?!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I believe the honorable poster may be implying... it is better than good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

the post/avatar combo on this

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One of the reasons I love the ONE version is that the lovely drawings highlight the comedy a lot better than the super detailed stuff Murata draws. It's harder to sell your joke as a parody when it looks just as good as the stuff it's riffing on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

That boy ain't right, I tell ya...

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

One of the reasons I love the ONE version is that the lovely drawings highlight the comedy a lot better than the super detailed stuff Murata draws. It's harder to sell your joke as a parody when it looks just as good as the stuff it's riffing on.

I don't know. What makes Bang's reaction hilarious in this chapter is his stoic and detailed expression combined with a line you'd expect to be paired with an Enel face. A gag not possible without Murata's art.

:goonsay:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry guys, this is a gag manga with some action.

There's a lot of little jokes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Some of ONE's storyboards for Murata's version.

https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/940474587673804800

https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/940472263119224833

https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki/status/940472561611063296

:vince:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

'You turned Genos into modern art.' is fantastic and I love it.

which chapter is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's so good, he just can't make it look super refined :(