Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I must say, I did feel pretty bad for the third monster when I beat it. When I found it it was fighting a great Jagras I joined the fight and the Jagras fled. When I after many hardships managed to make a dent in the Rex it fled... straight into a Rathalos nest.

The Rathalos started beating the everloving poo poo out of it. I joined in, beating on it when it was down. Then all of a sudden the Jagras showed up and starting beating on the poor thing as well!

Then it fled, whimpering and limping, back to its nest. Where I proceeded to bomb the poo poo out it while it was sleeping. Hunting is messy business.

I saw the Rathalos pick up the Anja and drop it off a cliff for 500 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Harrow posted:

And hunting horn seems like it's just a matter of memorizing song combinations and playing them a bunch, though I'm less in love with its actual attacks so I'm only super excited to use it in multiplayer where other people get to benefit from my buffs too.

Great QOL change in this MH, you don't have to memorize the songs, they'll always be displayed in the top right, and they light up when they are applied.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Digirat posted:

Mentioned this earlier but I actually hope they do their normal attacks on each other more, or sometimes fight without a sync attack at all. The sync attacks look goddamn amazing but the monster infighting feature is going to lose its luster really fast if it happens every single time two monsters meet followed by one of them running away seconds later. It's probably for the best as a way to semi-organically keep you from getting doubleteamed every time some new fucker wanders in, but I hope the spectacle of it doesn't result in it becoming predictable. It would be neat if the weaker monster occasionally ends up winning and holding its ground. Has anyone seen something like that happen in the demo so far?

I'm OK with this because the sync attacks deal a truckload of damage very quickly. I got the giant coelacanth-looking monster to bodyslam rockhead for 400+ damage before they both fled, which made killing rocky much easier within the time limit.

Renoistic posted:

I must say, I did feel pretty bad for the third monster when I beat it. When I found it it was fighting a great Jagras I joined the fight and the Jagras fled.

This was the first time I saw monster infighting ever and I have to admit that I stood still for a few seconds to start rooting for my new Great Jagras buddy. Then I realized that Rex still wanted me dead, because it did not take them long to turn their attention back to me.

That was still more than enough time for a Dragon Piercer, though!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snak posted:

I saw the Rathalos pick up the Anja and drop it off a cliff for 500 damage.

Same amount of damage, but my Rathalos hit the Anja with a devastating fire attack.

By the way, I'm liking the handler much better after switching to monster hunter language. Makes all the difference in the world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the thing scaring me away from longsword is not wanting to be the stupid newbie tripping everyone online, especially given how many of its attacks have huge, wide sweeps. I just know I'd be the stereotypical longsword player everyone hates with that thing. I do pretty well with it solo, though, and I'm an absolute sucker for counterattack moves.

Switch axe is also extremely cool, though, and very, very satisfying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I never tried SA before, and it's exactly what I wanted out of Charge Blade. CB seems cool, but it's a level of complexity that I'm not ready for.

Lance is pretty cool so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Charge blade definitely seems really cool, but I'm going to wait until I have a decent handle on the basic controls, using items, and how to fight monsters before I start using a really complex weapon on top of it. I'm a total Monster Hunter newbie so I don't want to throw too much to learn on myself right out of the gate.

I think I'll probably start out maining switch axe or longsword, but it depends on if I find the counterattacks and huge leap attack of the longsword or the explode everything holy poo poo attack of the switch axe cooler, probably. And if I can get over my fear of being the stereotypical longsword-using newbie idiot online (which I would definitely be). Though hunting horn and bow are very close up there, too.

Not using a weapon I enjoy because it's popular with stupid newbies is probably stupid on my part, but at the same time, I'm gonna be loving up enough already without also tripping people with my Hanzo steel.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really haven't noticed much tripping from long swords in the demo. I don't know if they've toned it down though.

The whole stigma is pretty out of date tbh. Long swords are nothing compared to people with charge blades exploding you from the entire other side of the monster over and over for two games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does the switch axe's element discharge explosion also knock people away?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lets hang out posted:

Really haven't noticed much tripping from long swords in the demo. I don't know if they've toned it down though.

The whole stigma is pretty out of date tbh. Long swords are nothing compared to people with charge blades exploding you from the entire other side of the monster over and over for two games.

Honestly I get tripped the most by Dual Blade users who insist on standing so close to me they clip into my character model and refuse to stop spamming Demon Dance.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think the thing scaring me away from longsword is not wanting to be the stupid newbie tripping everyone online, especially given how many of its attacks have huge, wide sweeps. I just know I'd be the stereotypical longsword player everyone hates with that thing. I do pretty well with it solo, though, and I'm an absolute sucker for counterattack moves.

Don't worry about it. Tripping seems far less an issue this time - and that is furthered by things like the mantle that gives hyper-armor. Anyone who is severely at risk of being tripped will probably use it - those who don't probably won't be tripped by you anyway. The rest you can just compensate for by not literally standing right on top of a Lance/GLance/SnS when doing your combo. That, and don't run up behind a hammer bro or something - simply steer clear of the head if there's one in the group. You'll be fine.

Channel your inner weeb freely.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Harrow posted:

Charge blade definitely seems really cool, but I'm going to wait until I have a decent handle on the basic controls, using items, and how to fight monsters before I start using a really complex weapon on top of it. I'm a total Monster Hunter newbie so I don't want to throw too much to learn on myself right out of the gate.

I think I'll probably start out maining switch axe or longsword, but it depends on if I find the counterattacks and huge leap attack of the longsword or the explode everything holy poo poo attack of the switch axe cooler, probably. And if I can get over my fear of being the stereotypical longsword-using newbie idiot online (which I would definitely be). Though hunting horn and bow are very close up there, too.

Not using a weapon I enjoy because it's popular with stupid newbies is probably stupid on my part, but at the same time, I'm gonna be loving up enough already without also tripping people with my Hanzo steel.

Don't worry about it. I've never played a monster hunter before, and started tearing everything apart with the longsword online. Just do what you thing is the most fun. I got knocked down several times by other people's explosives, though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Harrow posted:

You're a dumbass if you stand in the way of the 5 second charge time for that move

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The charge blade rules, it's a stronger sword & shield that you can power up with flashy combos and transform into a giant, flexible axe! The time to kill with dual blades is pretty insane btw.

Every weapon is cool!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’ve seen quite a few people talking about how insane the Dual Sword’s kill times are, but I would like to point out that the one the demo gives is a water element DS, and I think every monster in the demo is at least somewhat weak to water. Combined with the fact that dual swords have insane elemental damage, it means that their kill times are probably much faster in this than they will be for quite a while in the actual game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Yeah. It's really not a big deal, don't worry so much about it. Everyone trips, everyone gets tripped. Just avoid parking yourself right on top of other players and you'll be fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, cool. Then I'll free myself of my tripping worry and go back to being indecisive about whether longsword, switch axe, or hunting horn is most fun to hit things with :v: I'm assuming I should probably commit to one of those as a main, at least for the most part, in the full game so I'm gonna try to decide early.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I'm new to monster hunter and managed to kill the bosses first time.

Is the emphasis more on how fast you can kill the monsters over their difficulty? Or are you pretty well kitted up in the demo.

Also during the normal game can you just run around and hunt what you want? The time limit is a bit annoying :v:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The fun thing about being batted around by charge blades, hammers and hunting horns is you generally get some kinda aerial attack to get you back into things. Or at least that was my experience with a charge blade user who kept knocking me up an away, then while I was in the air I could do spirit attacks into the monster. Happened repeatedly every time I'd land.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Is the emphasis more on how fast you can kill the monsters over their difficulty? Or are you pretty well kitted up in the demo.

Also during the normal game can you just run around and hunt what you want? The time limit is a bit annoying :v:

I'm new as well, but from what I've read, the time limit is a lot longer in the full game (usually 50 minutes), and it's expected that you'll run around, gather, hunt smaller monsters, etc. The betas/demos never really get across the actual Monster Hunter experience, it seems.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

The demo provides you with decent weapons, but the thing to remember is that the monsters are also weaker than normal being confined to a demo that is only 20 minutes (normal hunts are 50) . So in the real game you should have time to not only kill the monster, but also do some exploring/gathering.

Also, if old games are anything to go by, there will be missions you can take and repeat that are just about gathering plants, etc.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
edit:gently caress awful.app

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 11, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lexorin posted:

The fun thing about being batted around by charge blades, hammers and hunting horns is you generally get some kinda aerial attack to get you back into things. Or at least that was my experience with a charge blade user who kept knocking me up an away, then while I was in the air I could do spirit attacks into the monster. Happened repeatedly every time I'd land.

I did this with a hammer yesterday on a bow user and he actually got an aerial attack and mount off which ended by powershooting the monster in the loving eyeball from atop it before leaping off

I felt like a sorceror

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

VoLaTiLe posted:

The demo gives you full armor sets and a weapon for each class that are early/mid story progress quality, as it were. The longsword is made from Rathalos parts, if that gives you an idea. It also gives you a full compliment of hunting items and has presumably weakened monsters for trade show purposes. The trade off is that you normally get 50 minutes per mission to do whatever you want.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 11, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
also the demo is missing the core gameplay loop of monster hunter. every monster has at least one set of craftable armor and weapons which are constructed using parts you get either by carving the monster or via quest rewards.

basically you go "ooh that monster's gear looks shiny I want it" -> "but if I want to put that monster on farm status I should craft this kit" -> "I need to farm this monster to make the kit" -> etc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also fashion hunters.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there going to be any kind of free roam mode at all, or is that unknown right now?

A 50 minute limit sounds like plenty but everything in this game looks so cool that I'd love to be able to just run around and collect random poo poo / explore / viciously murder random tiny dinosaurs without worrying about a timer at all.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It sora goes like:

Hey I'm having trouble fighting this monster that uses a lot of poison damage ... and it turns out the quest monster right before him crafts an armor set that negates poison.

So you go kill that guy a half dozen times and craft your nul-poison set and go fight poison monster. And poison monster drops a rare crafting mat! That crafting mat is the key drop for a couple of weapon types that inflict poison status, but you're not really great with any of them.

But maybe you could be! So you decide since you got the rare mat you'll go make the poison dual blade set. But to do that you need to mine up some ore from the previous zone. So you go hit the previous zone to do some mining, and while you're here you might as well fight the bird guy, because that's a really fun fight anyway. Plus you might as well practice dual swords on him, so you craft the dual sword set that leads INTO your poison set and learn to fight the bird guy with your new weapon so you can craft the poison version after you mine up the ore.

Then you take your new poison dual swords plus your acquired dual swording ability and try to fight the next quest monster, who does a big fire breath attack ...

And so on.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there going to be any kind of free roam mode at all, or is that unknown right now?

A 50 minute limit sounds like plenty but everything in this game looks so cool that I'd love to be able to just run around and collect random poo poo / explore / viciously murder random tiny dinosaurs without worrying about a timer at all.

Every map usually gets a free roam option as you go up in Hunter Ranks. They're also limited to 50 minutes but you can't 'fail' anything so that's fine.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

In the full game you'll be able to just go out in an area and explore, and hunt any monster that shows up without time limits, though the only rewards will be whatever you can carve off.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Cool the gameplay sounds like something I'd like then.

I think coupled with the fact they actually released a demo and theres no microtransactions (which is a rarity these days) I'm gonna buy this.

I may even preorder it! :v:

I'm so for some Fashion souls

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
My gameplay loop is "build the biggest greatsword, hit things with it until I make bigger greatsword for more hit".

At least it was until the highest rank charge blade I could make when I played 4U late was the pink Rathian type.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think they're changing the quest system in world such that the tri moga island free hunt system is the default and you can hop back to base camp to initiate quests to force certain monsters to spawn (with a time limit) but idk

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They've also said that you'll be able to choose to remain on the map after finishing hunts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, that sounds good. So if you're worried about completing the main hunt on time you can focus on that, and then use the time you have left over to gather and hunt other monsters and stuff?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think they're changing the quest system in world such that the tri moga island free hunt system is the default and you can hop back to base camp to initiate quests to force certain monsters to spawn (with a time limit) but idk

When I first played Tri as my first game, I thought this was the system. I'm glad it finally came to fruition.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jousting back and forth with the lance is hilarious.

Managed to get both Anja ans G Jagras with the lance this time.

Tried IG, didn't really like it. Vaulting was nice though.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
I full cleared the desert with CB, but can't bring down my Diablos kill time under 5 minutes like in the DB speedkill, please assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oixOmUfFw

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dragon enthusiast posted:

You're a dumbass if you stand in the way of the 5 second charge time for that move

Yeah if you get blown away by the switch axe explosion it's basically a big ole all right I deserve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Heavy bowgun is sheer perfection in the World beta.