Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Leperflesh posted:

Toilets don't cost $800

I mean I'm sure you can find toilets that cost $800, but you can also find standard builders-grade toilets at Home Depot for under $100, and $200 will get you a perfectly fine toilet.

It's fine and frugal to just clean dirty things instead of throwing them away, though, I'm totally with you on that one. But yeah, toilets are cheap.

My FIL is a plumber and I asked him to put two top of the line toilets in the house and holy poo poo these are the nicest loving toilets I've ever even seen in my life I could eat out of them and they were both like $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I was thinking about what a plumber would charge, both labor and the cost of the toilet itself. Are toilets easier to install than I think they are? Hmm, maybe I'm just used to assuming everything about home repair is expensive and complicated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think they're easy as long as what you find when you remove the old one isn't a hell cavity filled with mismatched wood screws and chewing gum

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
The hardest part about replacing a toilet yourself is figuring out what to do with the old one. You can often get tax rebates or straight up cash back if you're replacing a really old one.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Vinny the Shark posted:

I was thinking about what a plumber would charge, both labor and the cost of the toilet itself. Are toilets easier to install than I think they are? Hmm, maybe I'm just used to assuming everything about home repair is expensive and complicated.
Toilets are pretty much the easiest home improvement thing to do, assuming you have a flexible water hose.

Not that I haven't hosed it up. The horizontal planar water spray when I didn't fasten the pressurized tank to the base well enough was pretty sweet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Economic Sinkhole posted:

The hardest part about replacing a toilet yourself is figuring out what to do with the old one. You can often get tax rebates or straight up cash back if you're replacing a really old one.

And cleaning the flange off while *not* thinking about what you're cleaning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

Easymode. I've had to dig up my own septic when I had the lateral from the house to the box clog.

The only thing worse than that is digging up someone else's septic.

Bonus, my (at the time 12 year old) daughter learned how to operate a mini backhoe (she backfilled the entire thing herself).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

Absolutely this :gonk:

Vinny the Shark posted:

It was dirty, not unusable. It worked and still works just fine. Besides, after the down payment I was in no mood to spend any money on a $800 or so toilet replacement. I also have to wonder how long it would take for the money I save on water to make up for the replacement fee. Those elongated toilets are larger and my bathroom is rather small, anyway.

After a ton of looking around, this chair height American Standard Champion is what I bought to replace both the toilets in my house. It's absolutely great, and under 200$, less on a Home Depot holiday sale. Plus, an elongated bowl barely uses any more depth than a round bowl. My downstairs half bath is a literal water closet which was barely big enough for a children's size toilet opposite a pedestal sink, but when I remodeled it I removed the pedestal sink which was 17" deep, and installed this 10" deep sink from Ikea, which made an unbelievable difference in total space and usability. I then added the elongated American standard champion toilet, and it literally only added 1-2" in depth over a child sized round bowl toilet. I can't fathom any reason for round bowl toilets in 2017, unless you're on an airplane or submarine.

In both houses I've lived in and swapped out toilets, my water bill has gone down around ~10-20$ a month. These toilets pay for themselves within a year, which is incredible. It's the easiest thing to do, just turn the water off, unscrew the supply line, unbolt the toilet from the floor, scrape off the old wax ring, plop down a new one, and bolt the new toilet in. Easy peasy.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I’ve always wanted a good toilet and now I have a house but didn’t know how much toilets cost or how to do it. This was fortuitous.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Edit: Didn't realize there was probably a better thread for this in DIY.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 12, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The weirdest part of replacing my toilet was stumbling upon some plumbing forum where people were adamant that anything less than a $600 toilet would not be able to handle your elephant-like bowel movements.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The weirdest part of replacing my toilet was stumbling upon some plumbing forum where people were adamant that anything less than a $600 toilet would not be able to handle your elephant-like bowel movements.

I mean if it's not got at least half a horsepower of flushing power why bother? https://www.plumbingsupply.com/maceratingtoilets.html

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
My next toilet will be diesel powered

H110Hawk posted:

I mean if it's not got at least half a horsepower of flushing power why bother? https://www.plumbingsupply.com/maceratingtoilets.html
code:
Maximum fluid temperature: 104°F
Handles those steaming hot shits with aplomb.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Shopping for a toilet? Get yourself a Ferguson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2YRDzpTL4

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Had someone come in to take a look at the fireplace to make sure some repointing was done OK and it was good to use and was left with an $850 quote for cleaning creosote build-up, installing a new damper cause the current one doesn't seal, and replacing the chimney cone. :negative:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I know nothing about fireplaces but that sounds like when a mechanic tries to take someone for a ride after bringing in a car for new wiper blades...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah for some reason chimneys are like scammer magnets. It is super common to have someone come in to clean one and them tell you that you need to spend like 2k on a liner or whatever.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 15, 2017

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

therobit posted:

Yeah for some reason chimneys are kike scammer magnets. It is super common to have someone come in to clean one and them tell you that you need to spend like 2k on a liner or whatever.

Uh...

Anyway, if nothing else he did say a liner wasn't necessary. The creosote was visible (it's like sparkly ash) so I guess that's a thing, and the damper did have a pretty big gap around it since it's from like 1900. So I'm hoping at least that this stuff is legit even if I was not expecting to be looking at an almost-$1,000 bill. (Homeownership!)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

z0331 posted:

Uh...

Anyway, if nothing else he did say a liner wasn't necessary. The creosote was visible (it's like sparkly ash) so I guess that's a thing, and the damper did have a pretty big gap around it since it's from like 1900. So I'm hoping at least that this stuff is legit even if I was not expecting to be looking at an almost-$1,000 bill. (Homeownership!)

Get another quote, but also get your chimney cleaned. The creosote will catch fire if the fire in your fireplace is hot enough, and then you have a chimney fire, which can quickly become a house fire, and even if it doesn't, it may involve having your walls ripped open. Get it professionally cleaned every year at a minimum.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sorry i am bad at smartphone and k and l are right next to each other.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah but most people's phones will automatically fix it to "like" which makes it suspect as to why your phone wouldn't do that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah but most people's phones will automatically fix it to "like" which makes it suspect as to why your phone wouldn't do that.

I turn off autocorrect because it's loving horrible and I'm amazed everyone else doesn't.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Leperflesh posted:

I turn off autocorrect because it's loving horrible and I'm amazed everyone else doesn't.

Well I can think of one really loving good reason at the moment.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah i am not sure. I literally just started using the swipe keyboard today after another goon said it would help with typos. I just got a decent phone for the first time. I am way behind the times. I don't think I have ever intentionally typed that word but I have fat fingered it a few times.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

lol sure thing grandpa

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

therobit posted:

Yeah for some reason chimneys are like scammer magnets. It is super common to have someone come in to clean one and them tell you that you need to spend like 2k on a liner or whatever.

Yeah, we had someone out to clean ours and it turned into a $1500 quote for refractory parcoating the inside and mechanical cleaning of the flue.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So I just paid off one of my student loans that I've been throwing tons of money at, and I only have ~$3k in student loans left which I should have paid off by spring, and I've been thinking more and more lately about purchasing a home. I know there are lots of first time home buyer programs out there, but I don't really even know where to begin. Or how to begin. Would I need to go to my bank and have them look at all my finances and have them tell me what I can afford and what programs are right for me? Would I talk to a realtor? I've tried reading about some of the programs, but it seems like a lot of them are based on the county you live in. Would I have to try going to a bank in the next county over if I want to buy a house there?

I have a rough idea of what we can afford, so should I start looking for houses first, and then banks/programs, or the other way around?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

BAE OF PIGS posted:

So I just paid off one of my student loans that I've been throwing tons of money at, and I only have ~$3k in student loans left which I should have paid off by spring, and I've been thinking more and more lately about purchasing a home. I know there are lots of first time home buyer programs out there, but I don't really even know where to begin. Or how to begin. Would I need to go to my bank and have them look at all my finances and have them tell me what I can afford and what programs are right for me? Would I talk to a realtor? I've tried reading about some of the programs, but it seems like a lot of them are based on the county you live in. Would I have to try going to a bank in the next county over if I want to buy a house there?

I have a rough idea of what we can afford, so should I start looking for houses first, and then banks/programs, or the other way around?

What is your income, current savings, and price range? Can you afford to drop $10k on a major home repair?

Honestly, it sounds like you should just cruise Zillow and go to open houses until you get an idea of what you're looking for. This will also help you zero in on what price range you're comfortable with in your area.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

LogisticEarth posted:

What is your income, current savings, and price range? Can you afford to drop $10k on a major home repair?

Honestly, it sounds like you should just cruise Zillow and go to open houses until you get an idea of what you're looking for. This will also help you zero in on what price range you're comfortable with in your area.

We make about 80k/yr combined. I have about 17k in savings right now and was thinking about 200k range. I'm honestly not really thinking of purchasing for another year, at the very earliest and am in the very early stages of thinking about what to do and what I can afford. We both look at zillow almost daily, but beyond that, I don't know where people usually start.

It's mostly the "How will I ever afford a 20% downpayment" that I have trouble with, and why I'm kind of curious about first time home buyer programs.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I got with a mortgage broker I could trust, and he spent 2 years coaching us and helping me repair my credit at no charge until we were ready to buy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

porkface posted:

I got with a mortgage broker I could trust

How did you determine this? I think that can be a tricky part for some people.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

BAE OF PIGS posted:

We make about 80k/yr combined. I have about 17k in savings right now and was thinking about 200k range. I'm honestly not really thinking of purchasing for another year, at the very earliest and am in the very early stages of thinking about what to do and what I can afford. We both look at zillow almost daily, but beyond that, I don't know where people usually start.

It's mostly the "How will I ever afford a 20% downpayment" that I have trouble with, and why I'm kind of curious about first time home buyer programs.

I'll say that your price range and income, without knowing any other financials, seem reasonable. My wife and I make about $85k combined and bought a house a year ago for about $190k with 20% down.

Advice for saving (or getting closer to) 20% down: Estimate how much you would be spending on home ownership all told (mortgage, utilities, maintenance, etc.). If this is higher than your rent (hopefully it is!) The start saving the difference. Live like you're a homeowner and see how much you can tolerate it.

For example, my wife and I shared a cheapo 1 bedroom apartment for years, at about $900-950/month after utilities. I figured that a $200k home would cost roughly $1750/month in our area:

Mortgage/Taxes/Insurance: $1100
Electric (including AC): $100-125
Water/Sewer: $100
Trash: $25-30
Heating oil (annual cosy average monthly): $200
General Maintenance: $200

So we ended up saving at least $800-1000/month by living "like we were homeowners" even though we lived in a dingy apartment. At the same time we were constantly looking at open houses for years to get a very good idea of what exactly we were looking for, and what a realistic price was. We did this for three years, which got us to roughly 20%. I was also dumping a bunch of overtime and tax refunds into a separate "home maintenance" fund as well so we went in with about $6,000 extra for repairs that came up.

Note that going with a smaller down payment isn't the end of the world, you just pay moderately more in the long run. And "renting is throwing money down the drain" is a load of bullshit if you're able to live in a smaller place while saving up. You know how much of that $1700/month actually goes to the mortgage principal? As in, the actual money I'm saving by owning a home? Like $300-400. P&I on a $200k loan will be like $700. So I was actually able to save MORE money when we were renting. The longer we waited, the better position we were in.

Now, if you're in one of those nutso markets where rent and home prices are exploding, this doesn't work. But in most "normal" places, this should hold true.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Be honest about your current status, desires, and timeline and if the broker is pushy or doesn't take the time to respond to your questions find someone else.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My first real nightmare:

Ordered a dishwasher from homedepot.com, it get's delivered and they inform me that in my state an electrician has to install the appliance so they've scheduled one 4 days from then. They put the dishwasher next to the wall in the corner of our dining room, ask me if everything looks good, I sign cause everything looks good. Electrician comes 4 days later to install the dishwasher, checks it out, and says "I can't install this, it's damaged and may leak." The frame is bent on the bottom corner of the dishwasher that the delivery guy put directly against the wall. (Almost as if he was intentionally hiding it :tinfoil:.) Home Depot has a 48 hour return policy, it's been 4 days because they couldn't schedule the electrician to come sooner. We spend 4 hours on the phone with support, they say "Well we'll just send somebody out to repair it, since it's still under warranty." Morning of the repair I get a call from the service company "We can't repair an appliance that isn't installed. It has to be installed for us to repair it." I call around town, no electrician is willing to install an appliance that is damaged. I call around town for repair services, no repair service can honor the warranty if the product isn't installed. The local home depot refuses to do anything because it was an online order.

So my option at this point is...install a broken appliance myself so the servicing company will come and take it away.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Uhh, gently caress that, I'd be on the phone with Home Depot raising a huge poo poo fit. They are replacing that unit

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Home Depot blues

I've kinda sworn off ever using any kind of installation service from a big box stores, they're all various degrees of shady and unskilled. I had a quote to put some carpet in, and had set up an estimate on the phone with their sub contractor. Guy shows up, does the estimate, leaves...then I get a call from the sub telling me he'll be there in ten minutes...

:what:

Turns out some other Home Depot subcontractor somehow snagged the visit and misrepresented who he was so he'd get the estimate commission. gently caress that poo poo, I told them to go pound sand and called up a small local company. It will cost more and take longer (since the guy is booked months in advance) but at least I know who I'm dealing with.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
If you bought it with a credit card, have them issue a charge back. AMEX, especially, is good for this sort of thing because they pretty much always side with the consumer.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

Great question.

I would interview several potential brokers at different firms, and look for one that isn't pushy, and who pushes back on any promotions their firm sends. They all send marketing offers/mail (brokers don't have much say in that), so find a broker who encourages you to ignore those and wait for the right time for your situation. Not just market conditions, but for you to be ready.
  • My parents referred him after several mortgages so they knew him. I'd ask around.
  • Talking with him the first time, he explained that he cares more about long-term referral business and would take a holistic approach with us rather than just trying to sell us one mortgage now
  • He gave tons of free advice, and was in no hurry to suggest we apply. He did not try to get us to fill out an application on our first visit.
  • He explained we would get approved for a large sum, but that we should not try to get that much house.
  • He never called us during the process. That would have been a red flag had he called and said things like "now is a good time" or "rates went down" or "we are running a promotion"

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm going to swear off big-box installers as soon as I get my new front door finally installed. I'm amazed at how much they have hosed up my order. I'll save the thread the :words: post, but we've been working on getting me a drat door since September. The most recent gently caress-up was when I took the day off work, booked my dog out of the house at his doggie daycare, and the installer called me begging to start the job 2 hours earlier than my time slot because they double booked him. Then they showed up with a right-swing door instead of a left-swing. Since it's a custom-order and a holiday week I probably won't see the correct door for at least another month. gently caress Lowe's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

drat Bananas posted:

I'm going to swear off big-box installers as soon as I get my new front door finally installed. I'm amazed at how much they have hosed up my order. I'll save the thread the :words: post, but we've been working on getting me a drat door since September. The most recent gently caress-up was when I took the day off work, booked my dog out of the house at his doggie daycare, and the installer called me begging to start the job 2 hours earlier than my time slot because they double booked him. Then they showed up with a right-swing door instead of a left-swing. Since it's a custom-order and a holiday week I probably won't see the correct door for at least another month. gently caress Lowe's.

Who needs installers? Put in the front door yourself! It's actually fairly easy... Just pop off the trim till you get to the rough opening, unscrew, pry and sawzall the old door frame out, position and put the new door in place, tack in a nail or two to hold it while you shim it into final position, then nail and screw er in! Just make sure you get non expanding foam to seal the installation, that way you don't warp the door.

Same with the dishwasher... Most home electrical stuff is actually pretty straightforward, no reason you can't do it yourself. I knocked out some cabinets and put in a new dishwasher where there was none, over the course of a weekend, wasn't difficult. Though if it's damaged, I'd be talking to a manager to get that replaced, that's unbelievable.