Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I swear drop rate of exp pots has increased in trunk. I went from literally never seeing them to finding stacks of 2 just by the dungeon entrance. found them early in 4 games in the last two days and it's getting nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Does anyone know why Ashenzari isn't in Hellcrawl? I assume it's because the tight XP curve is a major part of the design, but reading the Tavern makes me depressed, so I don't feel like going to check.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does anyone know why Ashenzari isn't in Hellcrawl? I assume it's because the tight XP curve is a major part of the design, but reading the Tavern makes me depressed, so I don't feel like going to check.

Curses as a mechanic don't exist

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I tried hellcrawl for the first time this weekend and oh my god I haven't had this much fun playing crawl in a long time. Just blitzing through everything as a gnoll skald was everything I wanted from crawl.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Iirc in hell crawl Sif Muna got spell school boosting properties similar to Ash skill boost?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The best Hellcrawl-exclusive feature.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I'm going to play hellcrawl for the first time tonight.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there a server to play hellcrawl on?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is there a server to play hellcrawl on?

CBRO and some Australian server. Hellmonk needs to push some updates to them at some point (magic staffs becoming shield slot items, WJC merging with... Uskayaw I think? Jivya piety rebalance, reimplementing Nemelex, basically every commit post Halloween)

I think Sif Muna's boost is a flat 1.5 to all schools but I only looked at it once. Also: Ogres still have +3 M&F. Troll/Ogre Skalds are high comedy. Trollhide Armor + Regen + Ozo + Song of Slaying + Special Weapon Giant Club (pref with a slaying ring which will either be +3 or +6)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 11, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archenteron posted:

CBRO and some Australian server. Hellmonk needs to push some updates to them at some point (magic staffs becoming shield slot items, WJC merging with... Uskayaw I think? Jivya piety rebalance, reimplementing Nemelex, basically every commit post Halloween)

I think Sif Muna's boost is a flat 1.5 to all schools but I only looked at it once. Also: Ogres still have +3 M&F. Troll/Ogre Skalds are high comedy. Trollhide Armor + Regen + Ozo + Song of Slaying + Special Weapon Giant Club (pref with a slaying ring which will either be +3 or +6)
Switching to hellcrawl permanently

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I wish there were a hell crawl tournament

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does Jiyva have a normal distribution in hellcrawl? I've been seeing her altars a lot.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Does Jiyva have a normal distribution in hellcrawl? I've been seeing her altars a lot.

Jivya Jivjab shows up like a normal altar so you can get your jelly on any time.

e: You cheeky son of a bitch Xom

e2: That's a D3 Jivya altar, that's pretty normal in hellcrawl.

e3: Looks like (most of) the last month of commit updates have been pushed to CBRO, Wu Tang Council is also Hepliaqqia back in as well, Nemelex is back in, +stat rings are apparently +5 now instead of 3 or 6, etc

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 12, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Incredible. Someone should submit this to main Crawl and see it get shot down for ruining immersion or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Can someone explain this to me as a filthy tiles user?

vv edit: Oh my god seriously?!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 12, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm at a loss that you don't see it.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
was just having a problem in hellcrawl on berotato where Vaults:3 (the last level) was crashing every ~20 seconds and reverting me to an old save. Caused me to die because I was trying to rush through the same parts over and over and save+quit before the crash happened, but getting worse luck each time.

I've had the odd crash here and there in hellcrawl before, but Vaults:3 was consistently crashing before I could get much done. Don't know if Hellmonk reads this thread but I don't post about crawl anywhere else.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any way to stop casting a spell in hellcrawl? I'm playing a skald and am not sure I want to keep infusion up and running for the rest of my life.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Is there any way to stop casting a spell in hellcrawl? I'm playing a skald and am not sure I want to keep infusion up and running for the rest of my life.

open your Abilities menu (a) and stopping a permabuff is one of the selections

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

I see what you mean but FWIW healing back then cured rot which is a good, permanent effect while invis/haste are temporary so your use cases are much more limited.

If they feel just as strongly about invis/haste though then you would probably have to: 1) remove the beneficial buffs altogether or 2) somehow make random effects never help the player while still helping monsters occasionally or 3) remove wand of random effects.

Option 4, Bob

quote:

Add malmutate to random effects (|amethyst)

This is partly in response to the idea of using random effects lategame
as a source of haste/invis on cleared levels, which apparently happens.
This change provides a bit of potential long term cost for that beyond
draining. As far as I'm aware monsters never use this wand, so this
change doesn't add another source of malmutation aside from the
self-targeting case.

In reality, this is probably a buff to the effectiveness of the wand outside of the HOM tactics. Monsters don't zap random effects (so no random monster magically gets Malmutate), and Malmutate against a monster is a guaranteed -8 AC, -25% HD. That's basically acid+draining's effects without the damage, and without giving the monster a chance to resist (since it doesn't check MR or defences) unless it is flat-out immune.

Edit: It also doesn't wear off. I wonder if Malmutate works on Pan/Hell Lords...zap until you Malmutate, tele away if they get Haste, come back and fight a permanently weaker boss.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 13, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Floodkiller posted:

Option 4, Bob

In reality, this is probably a buff to the effectiveness of the wand outside of the HOM tactics. Monsters don't zap random effects (so no random monster magically gets Malmutate), and Malmutate against a monster is a guaranteed -8 AC, -25% HD. That's basically acid+draining's effects without the damage, and without giving the monster a chance to resist (since it doesn't check MR or defences) unless it is flat-out immune.

This is a reasonable solution to that problem. (And that's not sarcasm; giving it a new debuff you really don't want to be hit with on a wand that you usually point at monsters unless you are gambling is a good solution.)

I don't think any monster except those that are undead or nonliving is immune to malmutate except (very) ugly things, which just change colour.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I ain't played in years what are the hot combos, also which combo is most equivalent to a HEWz, I really liked playing that and I don't understand which race is meant to have made High Elves redundant?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I ain't played in years what are the hot combos, also which combo is most equivalent to a HEWz, I really liked playing that and I don't understand which race is meant to have made High Elves redundant?

gnoll anything is the new hotness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My hellcrawl game keeps crashing 10-20 turns into trying to tackle V:3

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Well according to the devs a TeWz is supposed to make HeWz redundant but they have totally different casting apts. Weird :thunk:

There really isn't a replacement. DeWz is the closest thing but you have to adjust to how fragile they are. HuWz or DeWzcan also be similar by virtue of being able to do anything but that's about it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

gnoll anything is the new hotness

Struggling to find much about this, the wiki doesn't even have them as a playable race, but I did read that they get +8 to all apts and train all at once, wtf that's crazy but must be super annoying lategame.

Which backgrounds and gods do people use with that? I'm thinking super versatile Sif Muna worshiping Wizard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Struggling to find much about this, the wiki doesn't even have them as a playable race, but I did read that they get +8 to all apts and train all at once, wtf that's crazy but must be super annoying lategame.

Which backgrounds and gods do people use with that? I'm thinking super versatile Sif Muna worshiping Wizard.
I don't think Sif is the best idea. All spells are similarly powerful, so it's great that you get books with every spell but like....you were going to find some books anyway. Unlike a, say, fire mage who has picked some schools such that they *need* the good spellbooks for their schools, a gnoll can make do with any high end spells. What school they used early doesn't have to be related to what they use by the end and thus they don't need every book, just a few good ones, which they're likely to get even without Sif.

Ash, on the other hand, sounds brilliant on a gnoll.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've been playing hellcrawl exclusively lately where gnoll skald is probably borderline broken but I think any hybrid strat should be good. Since you have no opportunity cost to skilling, you can just do whatever the dungeon gives you. If you find an early Sif Muna altar, go ahead! If you find a busted chain mail artifact armor instead, put it on and just worship a different god. It's not like you have "wasted" points in magic skills like you would if you were any other race aiming to be a caster.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I had something similar happen once. Go into V:3, save and quit, then reload and see if that somehow fixes it.

If not, use the IRC ##Crawl-Tavern (or whatever the channel is) widget from the front page of crawl sites and poke Hellmonk on IRC about the bug, if you too avoid Tavern like the plague.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 14, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Archenteron posted:

I had something similar happen once. Go into V:3, save and quit, then reload and see if that somehow fixes it

you mean load my save (which is already in V:3), ctrl-s, then try again? I just tried that and it seems to have made my save less stable somehow

rip that gnoll if this is unfixable

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

you mean load my save (which is already in V:3), ctrl-s, then try again? I just tried that and it seems to have made my save less stable somehow

rip that gnoll if this is unfixable

Edited in a second thing right after you posted, sorry.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

cheetah7071 posted:

Hellmonk just popped into my game to tell me the crashing should be fixed and a patch pushed tonight. :cheers:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

jerkstoresup posted:

Hellmonk just popped into my game to tell me the crashing should be fixed and a patch pushed tonight. :cheers:

I haven't even played Hellcrawl and he still sounds like the best Crawl dev.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

That's good to know, since I also am now crashing at the start of V:3.

Kobold Skald of Okawaru is like a smaller angrier Gnoll that happens to occasionally spontaneously mutate. 15+ in all weapon skills? Yeah sure I've gone from hand axes to venom flails to flaming scimitars to quarterstaves of pain and speed to a Demon Trident of Freezing + Shield :black101:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't think there's a race that plays the same as High Elves did, but you can try HuWz or DEWz. DE isn't really the same in that it feels very painful to take into melee due to awful weapon aptitudes, low HP and weak fighting, whereas HEWz could get into melee very comfortably and very early. If you want an archer hybrid, though, it was always better than HE. Hu isn't really the same because you can spread your skills out all over everywhere the way HE could. But it's overall fairly similar to HE while also probably being stronger.

Zaodai posted:

I haven't even played Hellcrawl and he still sounds like the best Crawl dev.

Devs for the vanilla game do the same thing, and I'm pretty sure have also fixed peoples save files for them in this thread. There are a lot of things I like about hellcrawl and a lot of things I don't. But I do respect that hellmonk is willing radically change things that people perceive as problems with the game and I think hellcrawl is a good way to test crazy ideas.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Cheibro statue octopus dudes got me my first win in Hellcrawl! The orb run is much more intense than vanilla, and feels so rewarding when you reach the dungeon exit. Dealing with hell + pan lords + orb effects is nutty. I love the pacing of hellcrawl; it consistently gets harder and doesn't put you through any long stretches of mindless floor diving to get all the runes. And it can be completed in about the same time as a 3-rune game of vanilla which is nice.

quote:

144535914 jerkstore the Wrestler (level 27, 212/232 HPs)
Began as an Octopode Transmuter on Dec 14, 2017.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 9 runes!

The game lasted 02:43:39 (47738 turns).

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/jerkstore/morgue-jerkstore-20171214-051736.txt

:love: :fork:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
You weren't joking, Hellcrawl plays like normal crawl on amphetamines. The lack of upstairs takes some getting used to but there are so many other changes that just make the game fun that it could be tough to go back to vanilla.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
With the crash fixed I was able to clear vaults and promptly die in slime

The Royal Jelly hiding behind its spawns is very cowardly and dishonorable. Fight me head on if you're a true king

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A true king would hide behind all his disposable mooks. That's the point of royalty, you send your dirt farming peasants out to die by the truckload so you can have a slightly fancier hat.

Now if only TRJ actually got a fancier hat based on how many slimes you've killed. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the TRJ sprite should have a half-dissolved crown floating inside its body

• Locked thread