Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a gaudy laquiole set.
Jean Dubost Laguiole 6-Piece Steak Knives, Multi Colored Handles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9T2K1O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7phlAbVY0AQY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
I work in a corrections-adjacent field and you have no idea how many assaults are committed with steak knives. You'd be safer with a mandoline.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Black.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

black or a dark wood color

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If I get steak knives, should I get them with black handles to match my kitchen knives or all steel to match my silverware or not even get steak knives to begin with

Meat should be cut when served, not by each diner like an animal.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Has anyone earnestly tried an air fryer? How does it compare and do you think its a suitable replacement for a man like myself who enjoys fried things but doesn't want to die in a year.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Air friers are right up there with George Foreman grills. You’ll use it a few times, and then it will take up space in your cabinet.

It’s also no replacement for deep frying. Like, not even close.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My wife uses an air fryer to make fries and they are okay.
Uses hardly any oil so probably way better for you.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
They were discussed in the last page or so, they're just small convection ovens. It's not actually going to fry anything.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They're good if you don't expect them to taste as good as regular frying since you're not dunking things in fat. The result is generally crispier than baking. But obviously not as tasty as actually frying. Also way less messy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone used an electric vegetable peeler and got opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tw3L&ref=plSrch

My mom has arthritis and she has a bumper crop of persimmons to get through

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Oneiros posted:

Look who's mom still cuts their steak.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Oneiros posted:

Even if you're slicing up a big rear end porterhouse, the cuts are still going to be too much to eat in one bite for most people.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

My wife uses an air fryer to make fries and they are okay.
Uses hardly any oil so probably way better for you.

Secret tip: you can make better "fries" with an oven, a sheet pan, and some parchment paper. It's a little more effort, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want my steak to arrive sliced, then have someone else pre-chew it and feed me like a baby bird.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want my steak to arrive sliced, then have someone else pre-chew it and feed me like a baby bird.

Isn't Chinese food always cut into bite-sized pieces because Confucius said that knives at the table are barbaric?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Isn't Chinese food always cut into bite-sized pieces because Confucius said that knives at the table are barbaric?

Yeah you don't cut anything in Chinese food, it should arrive pre cut. I don't know about the Confucius thing. The food can be full of bones though and you have to pick it out with your hands at the table.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Secret tip: you can make better "fries" with an oven, a sheet pan, and some parchment paper. It's a little more effort, though.

I’d say chips but most of y’all are American.
How do I do the ones you mention then?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bamhand posted:

Yeah you don't cut anything in Chinese food, it should arrive pre cut. I don't know about the Confucius thing. The food can be full of bones though and you have to pick it out with your hands at the table.

Well not normally with your hands...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Well not normally with your hands...

Everyone I've eaten with has used their hands. Like fish bones, pork short ribs, chopped chicken pieces full of bones, etc.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bamhand posted:

Everyone I've eaten with has used their hands. Like fish bones, pork short ribs, chopped chicken pieces full of bones, etc.

Heathens, every last one.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

bamhand posted:

I feel like this is pretty obvious to anyone who has tried to cut a steak with two bamboo sticks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think you usually rip the meat off the bone with your hands, I think you put the whole piece in your mouth and then fish the bone out with your hands?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
For fish you do, everything else yeah you fish it out your mouth or something after.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bamhand posted:

Maybe it’s regional but everywhere I’ve been the normal thing is to hold the piece up to your mouth with your chopsticks and use your teeth and lips to separate the meat from the bones

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I learned recently that they leave the tails on shrimp in sushi because you're supposed to eat the tail, so I would think the logic would be consistent and you should eat the bones.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Friend posted:

I learned recently that they leave the tails on shrimp in sushi because you're supposed to eat the tail, so I would think the logic would be consistent and you should eat the bones.

Sushi is Japanese though?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

bamhand posted:

Sushi is Japanese though?

still relevant to chopsticks vs fingers re: eating bones

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My Chinese friends sticks entire chicken feet in his mouth and quickly pulls out like a half dozen bones with his chopsticks like it's nothing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I recently tried chicken feet, after making fun on my friend for the better part of a decade. It mystifies me that people who aren’t starving to death would eat them.

They’re not offensive, or unpalatable, there’s just a really, really low payoff for the amount of work required.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Counterpoint: tiger skin chicken feet loving own.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I recently tried chicken feet, after making fun on my friend for the better part of a decade. It mystifies me that people who aren’t starving to death would eat them.

They’re not offensive, or unpalatable, there’s just a really, really low payoff for the amount of work required.

Like boiled chicken feet, or pan seared in mystical red sauce?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MrYenko posted:

People really really like the texture

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Microplane cut-proof gloves are $6.77 on Amazon right now. In case you have friends come over to cook often.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone have any opinions on drip coffee makers with thermal carafes under or around $100? Our current Melitta from a few years ago is starting to act up.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on drip coffee makers with thermal carafes under or around $100? Our current Melitta from a few years ago is starting to act up.

Everyone recommends the Bonavita, but it looks like it's bumped up in price to $130 or so. Maybe look at refurbished models?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

obi_ant posted:

Like boiled chicken feet, or pan seared in mystical red sauce?

I think they were pan fried. The skin wasn't soft or gummy, but it wasn't crispy, either. Just meh.

fart simpson posted:

People really really like the texture

Some people juggle geese.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kinfolk Jones posted:

This was the drip recommendation from the Coffee Thread when I went looking. I've had this one for probably 3 years and it's great.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That's the one I have, works great.

There's a newer model that clocks in just over $120 that reviews well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Henckels International knives - is an 17-piece set (of which 8 are steak knives) worth 240 CAD if I can get it on clearance at Canadian Tire? They're forged rather than stamped, at least.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/productDetail/1427089P/false/false/false?selectedSku=1427089

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 16, 2017