Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm sure Star Trek engineers are going to figure out how to best weaponize the transporter's ability to create momentum out of nothing just as soon as they finish figuring out how to grant eternal life in 17 different varieties based on previous Trek episodes.

Although strictly speaking the transporter can do something else that's more important to trekkies than living forever.

:nms:

:nms:

Edit: What a glorious snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It's insane to think hostile forces would EVER board a federation ship in the 24th century. So much of the basic tech could be deadly.

Gravy plating makes your body 50,000 kg; holoemiters use invisible forcefield to sever your spinal column; shuttle transporters teleport a 1cm chunk of your brain out of your head, replicators fill the room with toxic glue, etc, etc...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bucswabe posted:

It's insane to think hostile forces would EVER board a federation ship in the 24th century. So much of the basic tech could be deadly.

Gravy plating makes your body 50,000 kg; holoemiters use invisible forcefield to sever your spinal column; shuttle transporters teleport a 1cm chunk of your brain out of your head, replicators fill the room with toxic glue, etc, etc...

Suddenly I'm looking forward to Tarantino's Trek movie a lot more.

If Trek is going grimdark some hosed up poo poo like this would be amazing.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

One of my fav DS9 episodes was when the station's worker revolt program turned the whole place into ED-209 and replicators started replicating turrets to kill all non cardassians. Gul Dukat teleported in to swan around and gloat and then a beautiful thing happened. Cardassians knew how to use that kind of technology properly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek content in my transit memes thread?!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just watched the first episode of the Expanse. Thanks for the recommend goons. Looks good so far. Also, lol at Mars. Seriously, we need to blow that shithole of a planet up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Conversely, I have found the second-worst Voyager episode: when the Ultra Logical Vulcan nerd goes all "pleeeeease have sex with me B'elana it's really messing with my mind pleeeeease, let me explain in detail all the reasons why you should have sex with me" and then the Doctor programs him a holo-whore.

Star Trek should just never mention sex ever. The writers can't be trusted.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd pick Be'lanna too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

simplefish posted:

Conversely, I have found the second-worst Voyager episode: when the Ultra Logical Vulcan nerd goes all "pleeeeease have sex with me B'elana it's really messing with my mind pleeeeease, let me explain in detail all the reasons why you should have sex with me" and then the Doctor programs him a holo-whore.

A Vulcan trying to get a woman to gently caress him by explaining logically why she should sounds about right to me.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah but did the audience really want to cringe through it? And the premise that 'a vulcun must get laid every 7 years or they die' and 'vulcans can infect girls with horniness if they touch them by accident' is just embarrassing.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 11, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

simplefish posted:

Yeah but did the audience really want to cringe through it? And the premise that 'a vulcun must get laid every 7 years or they die' and 'vulcans can infect girls with horniness if they touch them by accident' is just embarrassing.

Makes you wonder why nobody has mixed Vulcan-Ferengi heritage. Perhaps its simply too dangerous to combine the pon farr with an elaborate barbed penis.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

"Okay, here's the plan; We let B'Lanna gently caress Tom because she's under the influence of Vulcan mindrape."

"What do you mean 'shoot to stun with phasers and tranquilize her'?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Wasn't part of the plot point that B'lana had to mate or they'd die? It's been a long time since I've seen it and I'm not watching it again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's the standard pon far. But you can also fight to the death, which is how it got resolved. With 24th century medicine they're generally fine afterwards

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ponn Farr is one of the worst Star Trek things they ever etched into the canon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The pan flutes that play for any spiritual species in star trek are the worst

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

simplefish posted:

This is also the ep that introduces the borg in voyager

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Ponn Farr is one of the worst Star Trek things they ever etched into the canon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The General posted:

I just watched the first episode of the Expanse. Thanks for the recommend goons. Looks good so far. Also, lol at Mars. Seriously, we need to blow that shithole of a planet up.

Every Martian on The Expanse is an obnoxious idiot and I hope the series ends with their terraforming poo poo failing hardcore

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im gonna watch a poo poo load of star trak tonight and maybe smoke a bowl and smash some beers

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

numberoneposter posted:

im gonna watch a poo poo load of star trak tonight and maybe smoke a bowl and smash some beers

lol if you do this and pick STD as the trek.

All that reading of the Klingon dialogue.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every Martian on The Expanse is an obnoxious idiot

tbf I think the Earthgov lady and... maybe one or two other people? are the only characters who aren't obnoxious idiots

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This is also the ep that introduces the borg in voyager

Yeah, in the last 5 seconds.

The real introduction of the Borg is not the next episode (they seem to have forgotten about the Borg, not at all worried) but the episode after.

It just felt like someone wrote the Borg episode, then someone else said "no we're doing arcs now, foreshadow this" so they hamfistedly jammed the reveal on the end of that episode.

Like the pon farr Vulcan was in an episode for a few minutes before. And in DS9 iirc for Dax's previous hosts being played through her "closest" friends, there's the main cast and "random Dabo girl who we saw a couple episodes ago?" And who then pretty much disappears again until she's with Rom and we care that her name was Leeta

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
In like the loving 21st century savage loving army if we had anything like a holodeck malfunction they'd shut down the whole loving program

but in the 23rd century nobody care because they wanna gently caress them holograms like

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

simplefish posted:

Like the pon farr Vulcan was in an episode for a few minutes before. And in DS9 iirc for Dax's previous hosts being played through her "closest" friends, there's the main cast and "random Dabo girl who we saw a couple episodes ago?" And who then pretty much disappears again until she's with Rom and we care that her name was Leeta
I just assumed Dabo girl was because Dax is constantly loving Quark over in Dabo, but I forget if most of that takes place before Leeta is introduced.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

mods change my name posted:

In like the loving 21st century savage loving army if we had anything like a holodeck malfunction they'd shut down the whole loving program

but in the 23rd century nobody care because they wanna gently caress them holograms like

That's because 23rd century people are logical and rational and know that there are over 16 billion holodeck programmes run every day and only 0.0001% result in murders or mass murders.

Also, considering that there is a mass shooting every week in the US but there's no extra gun control because people like owning guns, I think you're overestimating our 21st century fellow inhabitants.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I wish the Vulcans would come save us.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wish the Vulcans would come save us.

lol if u don't think that would go a little something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, Enterprise could be so good at times.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Also, considering that there is a mass shooting every week in the US but there's no extra gun control because people like owning guns, I think you're overestimating our 21st century fellow inhabitants.

When holograms are illegal, only criminals will use holograms.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol, Enterprise could be so good at times.

It's really clever how they added a few insert shot closeups to recut the First Contact scene with the reshot footage to get their MU new scene without having to start from scratch pay James Cromwell money out of their TV budget.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's really clever how they added a few insert shot closeups to recut the First Contact scene with the reshot footage to get their MU new scene without having to start from scratch pay James Cromwell money out of their TV budget.

For all of fifteen seconds' worth of footage, yeah, wouldn't be surprised. Although it could also have just as easily been that he was busy with other work at the time; he certainly wasn't above doing roles on Trek episodes, hell half his Trek characters had huge face makeup going on.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

When holograms are illegal, only criminals will use holograms.

If I had have been there with my hologram, oh boy that woulda went down differently. The whole place would have been taken over by a swing band while a dude crooned and fixed everyone's problems. NHA.

I do like that most series has a distinct moral quandry that creeps up on you or you at least read in to.
TOS: gently caress the system.
TNG: The System, gently caress.
DS9: gently caress you guys, but I will gently caress you with the system by loving the system.
STV: No system here, but lets gently caress each other with the system in this new system so nobody gets to go home.
STE: A Grappling hook maybe? I didn't watch.
STD: I have so many shrooms in my system I think I can see and move through the galaxy by eating more and like there's like an evil dude with a room full of skeletons and everything is black. gently caress.

PSA: Type "system" several times it doesn't look like a real word.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

having a real good LOL over here!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wit posted:

If I had have been there with my hologram, oh boy that woulda went down differently. The whole place would have been taken over by a swing band while a dude crooned and fixed everyone's problems. NHA.

I do like that most series has a distinct moral quandry that creeps up on you or you at least read in to.
TOS: gently caress the system.
TNG: The System, gently caress.
DS9: gently caress you guys, but I will gently caress you with the system by loving the system.
STV: No system here, but lets gently caress each other with the system in this new system so nobody gets to go home.
STE: A Grappling hook maybe? I didn't watch.
STD: I have so many shrooms in my system I think I can see and move through the galaxy by eating more and like there's like an evil dude with a room full of skeletons and everything is black. gently caress.

PSA: Type "system" several times it doesn't look like a real word.

ST:Enterprise's moral quandry is "we have no system, but we should act like the Prime Directive will one day be a thing, nudge-nudge wink-WINK DO YOU loving GET WHAT WE'RE INSUATING EVERY SINGLE EPISODE INVOLVING ALIEN CULTURES!?"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Reed Alert

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shields up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I loled at Reed Alert because it was a clever bit of wordplay mixed with a cute reference to future trek and if it was their only attempt at wink-winking the audience up until that point the early seasons might not have felt so forced.