Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

in that case go for it since you're not gonna do much better than persona 5, at least on ps4

Thanks !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

virinvictus posted:

I only just started playing modern games, lol. I have been iOS-only for years up until a few months ago. I’ve spent a few hundred a month since I’ve bought the system on games, and am still discovering what I like and don’t like with modern video games.

Last console I owned was a PS1.

You will love p5

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Persona 5 has been on special a few times this year and will likely see an xmas discount as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can’t tell if Gang Beasts is something I should be excited for as a long term pick up and play goof off, or something I will see the full entertainment value of in 5 min...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gang beasts is great if you have a few friends to play with locally

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a party game. Id wait until you have a party coming over and want something to do

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gang beasts is a game about a gummi ron swanson fighting for his life at a furry convention. I had one opportunity to play it with people for hours and it's the most fun I've ever had with a local coop game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can play online too though right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

You can play online too though right?

Yes. Which is why I’m not sure how to take these comments... like, is most of the fun about poo poo-talking and elbow-jostling?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I figured it looked fun to play online with buddies in party. Me and a few other goons were planning on grabbing it.

I don't see any reason it would be different than couch gaming. As much as I like local play I'm lucky if I can coax any of my friends to play video games at all so local only stuff is just a waste of money for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If you're all in voice chat, it's probably a blast. Playing with randos might get old.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Digirat posted:

Gang beasts is a game about a gummi ron swanson fighting for his life at a furry convention. I had one opportunity to play it with people for hours and it's the most fun I've ever had with a local coop game

I remember playing one time on that big reactor/ cylinder stage with the pit in the middle and I got flung off to the side while one of my friends killed everyone else. Then the game didn’t end and we were confused for a second.

Then the camera pulled back and lo and behold I had managed to cling to the side of the stage like a loving maniac. I jumped to the stair case and flying dragon kicked my friend off into the abyss below with my combover strongman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I remember playing one time on that big reactor/ cylinder stage with the pit in the middle and I got flung off to the side while one of my friends killed everyone else. Then the game didn’t end and we were confused for a second.

Then the camera pulled back and lo and behold I had managed to cling to the side of the stage like a loving maniac. I jumped to the stair case and flying dragon kicked my friend off into the abyss below with my combover strongman.

I'm definitely buying this

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The beauty is that I had no idea how I did any of this.

This was early in when it was just local multiplayer, which is still how I’d recommend playing it. Haven’t tried online so I don’t know how well it captures the magic. If you’re playing with friends it should still be fine though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea last I checked in on gang beasts (which was a long time ago tbh), it was local only and in early access on steam

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Literally breaking into people’s minds and loving poo poo up based on the good/bad judgement of a bunch of teenagers.

Yes, but you see...corrupt adults...

virinvictus posted:

Is Persona 5 worth getting? The price of the Ultimate Edition scares me, but the standard seems decently priced. Is it safe to get Standard?

Also, the Last of Us Remaster is probably the most beautiful thing I’ve ever played. Are there more games like it?

Persona 5 rules, though it's all about exploring the interstices of a very repressed and very formal culture. If you're interested in what makes daily life tick in Japan, and you also like badass turn-based combat with jazz music soundtrack, then get Persona 5. The base game is like 120-150 hours long.

Also,

More games that make you feel complex, contradictory emotions like TLoU?

Bloodborne and The Last Guardian. Both games are extremely different otherwise.

:same:

Feenix posted:

Yes. Which is why I’m not sure how to take these comments... like, is most of the fun about poo poo-talking and elbow-jostling?

It's a game that is exactly 2X more fun when you can yell and scream and taunt people that are sitting on a couch right next to you and there are cheap half-empty beercans everywhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea last I checked in on gang beasts (which was a long time ago tbh), it was local only and in early access on steam

It has online and...VR support?! I had no idea. Holy poo poo!

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/03/16/gang-beasts-will-include-online-play-and-playstation-vr-support/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Persona 5 is a very Japanese game, but a lot of the major themes are not only pretty universal, they’re also pretty timely. I mean the whole set up is about how powerful people are doing lovely things and getting away with it because society lets them.

If you’re at all concerned about the Japanese cultural elements shutting you out? Don’t be.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 5's soundtrack is so good. I think NieR does the best this year with integrating sound and gameplay, but Persona 5 is not far behind and also something I would put on to listen during my commute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW1ps75BRSM

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Persona 5 is amazing

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

Persona 5 is a very Japanese game, but a lot of the major themes are not only pretty universal, they’re also pretty timely. I mean the whole set up is about how powerful people are doing lovely things and getting away with it because society lets them.

If you’re at all concerned about the Japanese cultural elements shutting you out? Don’t be.
I'm a month in, coming with a little JRPG experience but nothing like these and no anime and I love it. You're exactly right about how timely this feels, even more so than when it launched probably, and it gets at that in a way that could come off as a dumb fantasy about solving serious problems with magic powers and a talking cat but... it just feels really good? I can imagine by the end that some of the dozens of gameplay mechanics that don't exactly map onto familiar WRPG concepts will feel alternately overcomplicated or underbaked, but I like the characters so much and the story's so engaging I know I'll want to push through to the end. Extremely stylish, great music, the localization seems fine.

Strong recommend to anyone who's a little curious and willing to take a chance. Same kinda thing I'd say about Nier: Automata but stronger -- this is way more polished and fully thought out. I enjoyed N:A a lot but it didn't quite get to challening HZD for my GoTY; this actually might've if I'd gotten it earlier. Caveat is it's so goddamn long so keep that in mind. Worth full price but it was half-off on PSN like a week ago when I got it and probably will be again so maybe wait for a sale and use the time to wrap up something else on your backlog cause you'll be dealing with this for a while.

When you do get it there's a bunch of free DLCs like cosmetics and minor consumable bundles so don't forget to grab those if you want to dress your thieves up for Christmas or whatever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A few questions about Persona 5, since the main thread is a thousand pages long and it's been brought up regardless:
1) Is there an actual reason to negotiate with demons after you've already fused/acquired one once? They still give their masks regardless?
2) I've downloaded a bunch of free DLc from the store, it's been recognized by the game and the console says it's installed, but I don't seem to have the items nor costumes - how do I actually get them?
3) Are there many moments where my crew don't grasp an obvious truth, like with the (fourth target spoiler) who Alibaba is?? I thought they were supposed to be smarter than that.
4) Are there any hidden books/games, like in P4, or do I just scour the shops periodically and borrow books from the library?

Thanks in advance!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It works because it commits to those stakes, I think. Like if the game winked at you and was like “this is dumb but go with it” you’d probably be like “yeah this is silly” but it just plays into the wish fulfillment of not only taking these guys down but making them confess and take full responsibility which is something even the guys brought down IRL don’t do that I don’t care how fantastical it is because it just feels cathartic.

Also it’s stylish as gently caress. And the final boss is metal as gently caress.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

2) I've downloaded a bunch of free DLc from the store, it's been recognized by the game and the console says it's installed, but I don't seem to have the items nor costumes - how do I actually get them?
In your bedroom click on the "Storage" box -- the game told me to do this the first time I started after downloading them but you can easily go a few days without the chance to do so and forget.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Szurumbur posted:

A few questions about Persona 5, since the main thread is a thousand pages long and it's been brought up regardless:
1) Is there an actual reason to negotiate with demons after you've already fused/acquired one once? They still give their masks regardless?
3) Are there many moments where my crew don't grasp an obvious truth, like with the (fourth target spoiler) who Alibaba is?? I thought they were supposed to be smarter than that.
4) Are there any hidden books/games, like in P4, or do I just scour the shops periodically and borrow books from the library?

Thanks in advance!

1. You do have to renegotiate with them if that particular demon is not in your party. If they're in your party already the other demon will just give you a thank you gift or something. There's not much reason to do this unless you need the base demon for some reason. Beyond that, you can negotiate for money or items. Still worth doing that at least because successful negotiations will end the fight regardless if there's more enemies or not.
2. Check your moving box on the shelf next to the TV in your room. Some of it may not become available until later in the story.
3. JRPG conceit. Don't worry about it.
4. You'll open up access to other cities that will have more stores and in one place in particular that only sells books.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 12, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Szurumbur posted:

Thanks in advance!

1. You can still demand money and items. Level up the Sun rank with the politician if you haven’t already (do the beef bowl job twice to unlock) he lets you demand money multiple times or get better payouts and ultimately even recruit shadows with levels higher than yours. Also if you ever want a new copy of a persona you’ve fused you can ask them to join and they automatically will.

2. They should be in a box on the shelf next to the stairs of your room. It took a little while for mine to show up so I don’t know if it hadn’t been properly installed or if it’s gated by day.

3. This is about the worst of it IIRC. Everyone gets smarter, except for Ryuji who gets even dumber but then gets better again. The game more than makes up for this by the end and I’ll leave it at that.

4. Bookstore, library, and then shinjuku opens up with a bookstore and then I think Star arcana (shogi girl) unlocks one more bookstore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I figured it looked fun to play online with buddies in party. Me and a few other goons were planning on grabbing it.

I don't see any reason it would be different than couch gaming. As much as I like local play I'm lucky if I can coax any of my friends to play video games at all so local only stuff is just a waste of money for me.

I'm sure it's still fun with friends on VOIP but I think it would be a different and less amazing experience than local coop. I'm pretty sure we were audible two rooms over, we were laughing and guffawing so hard. Then I graduated college and moved and no more local games :negative:

Seriously though gang beasts is amazing

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
So....um....anyone else excited for Okami? This is the 4th time buying it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

I'm sure it's still fun with friends on VOIP but I think it would be a different and less amazing experience than local coop. I'm pretty sure we were audible two rooms over, we were laughing and guffawing so hard. Then I graduated college and moved and no more local games :negative:

Seriously though gang beasts is amazing

Yeah. I've got a group of dudes that I play board games with I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get them together for a Gang Beasts couch night.

Still stoked to play it with my TLOU goon bros to chill out with after cutting throats and blowing faces off with shotguns.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tensai posted:

I've never played it before, so I'm kind of excited to eventually play it for the first time.

After 600 hours of MHW.

And FFXV

And Persona 5

And Yakuza Kiwami

I'll probably play it between one of those.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've bought Okami twice buy only beaten it once. It's recommended buy I'm honestly more interested in the PS4 theme and I hope there's a way to buy it separately. Does it have any improvements?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i beat it once but then there was still 2/3 of the game left

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Awesome! posted:

i beat it once but then there was still 2/3 of the game left

This. The first story is better than the other two IMHO. But the final boss fight made it all worth it. It's great and has perfect emotional beats.

If there were a way to turn off the voices I'd probably rebuy it. The game has a lot of dialogue and they get old after the first couple minutes or so. The Zelda method of just giving the characters a single sound que would have been so much better.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 12, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

tensai posted:

oh poo poo that's the 12th, eh? I pre-ordered it because the prime discount and hype, never tried it over the years.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh poo poo that's the 12th, eh? I pre-ordered it because the prime discount and hype, never tried it over the years.

Okami is a great game for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that you play as a good doggo

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

Okami is a great game for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that you play as a good doggo

I think the term you meant to use was "good wolfie"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have a physical copy of Nier:A and Horizon ZD I’m down to start a mailing chain with, if anyone would like to borrow them. You just pay to ship to the next. Everyone gets two weeks? Idk 🤔 I tried this before but seems to never work 🤷🏽‍♀️

I also have The Last Guardian lmao

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Snak posted:

I've never played it before, so I'm kind of excited to eventually play it for the first time.

After 600 hours of MHW.

And FFXV

And Persona 5

And Yakuza Kiwami

I'll probably play it between one of those.

Okami is better than all of these games except persona 5, I would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have a physical copy of Nier:A and Horizon ZD I’m down to start a mailing chain with, if anyone would like to borrow them. You just pay to ship to the next. Everyone gets two weeks? Idk 🤔 I tried this before but seems to never work 🤷🏽‍♀️

I also have The Last Guardian lmao

You could just send me TLG and I'll give Trico a good home tbqh !! Or I could stop being cheap and buy it. It probably dropped down from $80 a while ago, all I was waiting for.

And to think I once spent like $600 on a PS3 partially in anticipation of that game.