Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pug Rodeo posted:

Virtual Console comes up a lot but I’ve seen no indicator that Nintendo gives a gently caress about implementing it on the Switch.

Yeah it’s almost like a bad dream. Why won’t they let me pay money and put earthbound on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pug Rodeo posted:

Limiting SNES to the *New* lineup of 3DS was so dumb. SNES games ran on the GBA and yet it takes an updated CPU to power them on modern hardware? Bullshit.

There are homebrew hacks that let you run the SNES Virtual Console games on a not-New 3DS and it turns out they actually run like poo poo. Who knows, maybe they could have come up with some more efficient emulation methods, but it wasn't just an arbitrary restriction to sell the New 3DS because the games as-is work very poorly if you force them to rn on the old model

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pug Rodeo posted:

Limiting SNES to the *New* lineup of 3DS was so dumb. SNES games ran on the GBA and yet it takes an updated CPU to power them on modern hardware? Bullshit.
In fairness, many of them ran poorly on the GBA compared to the original hardware. I'm not saying you're wrong!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
And the SNES games weren't emulated on the GBA, they were straight out ports.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also got the 8BitDo SF30. Can’t wake the Switch with it, but if I turn the Switch on with the power button and then turn on the controller it’ll connect. Good enough.

The controller itself is awesome. Feels just like a SNES controller with thumbsticks. Dpad is good. Really good. My only complaint is that the rumble motors are... aggressively loud, even compared early controllers. If you’re holding it at even a little bit of an angle, they get squeaky. You can turn off vibration in the Switch’s menu, though.

I’m not sure it’s going to replace my Pro Controller, but $45 for another controller for my Switch that will also be a badass emulation controller on my Mac is a really good deal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was more into asking about the VC back when the system didn't have as many games, but now that new poo poo is just getting announced constantly I don't feel like I need it as badly. With Squeenix's new statement it seems like older SNES stuff will be a la carte and we'll just buy Chrono Trigger or FF6 or FF7 through eshop. That being said I hope they reconfigure the eshop into the categories that the WiiU used to have because at some point, the bigass list they have is going to be way too big to scroll through.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

lelandjs posted:

I also got the 8BitDo SF30. Can’t wake the Switch with it, but if I turn the Switch on with the power button and then turn on the controller it’ll connect. Good enough.

The controller itself is awesome. Feels just like a SNES controller with thumbsticks. Dpad is good. Really good. My only complaint is that the rumble motors are... aggressively loud, even compared early controllers. If you’re holding it at even a little bit of an angle, they get squeaky. You can turn off vibration in the Switch’s menu, though.

I’m not sure it’s going to replace my Pro Controller, but $45 for another controller for my Switch that will also be a badass emulation controller on my Mac is a really good deal.

Came in here to see if anyone else had gotten an SF30.

I can echo literally all of this post, the controllers great other than the rumble motors being loud and buzzy. Feels awesome and has worked on everything I've paired it with. I watched a review that said they started to get input lag once multiple controllers were hooked up to the Switch which would be really unfortunate, guess I'll try Mario Kart with the kids tomorrow and see how it handles 3 controllers.

Echophonic posted:

Got my SNES30 Pro today, too. Paired just fine right out of the box, looking forward to playing a bit with it, but I decided to see how it worked on the SNES Classic first.

You can pair it to the SNES classic? Just through USB I assume yea?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 12, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DLC Inc posted:

I was more into asking about the VC back when the system didn't have as many games, but now that new poo poo is just getting announced constantly I don't feel like I need it as badly. With Squeenix's new statement it seems like older SNES stuff will be a la carte and we'll just buy Chrono Trigger or FF6 or FF7 through eshop. That being said I hope they reconfigure the eshop into the categories that the WiiU used to have because at some point, the bigass list they have is going to be way too big to scroll through.

Yeah I’d be surprised if in 2018 we didn’t get some serious menu optimization, with more eshop flexibility, data management, themes, etc.

And the whole vintage game a la carte doesn’t sound so bad, especially if those developers care enough to throw out good ports. I’d just love some older SNES games with an updated aspect ratio, futile as the dream may be.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if there's a switch release of the DS port of Chrono Trigger i will buy that poo poo in a heartbeat

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

if there's a switch release of the DS port of Chrono Trigger i will buy that poo poo in a heartbeat

Hell yeah. That would tide me over til Octopath Traveller.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hell yeah. That would tide me over til Octopath Traveller.

Once I finish Xenoblade I'm going to grab Romancing SaGa 2 and maybe some other SaGa games if they get Switch releases.

Can't wait for Octopath though. The demo has rough spots (and blinding contrast in caves) but it definitely shows some promise as a game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Once I finish Xenoblade I'm going to grab Romancing SaGa 2 and maybe some other SaGa games if they get Switch releases.

Can't wait for Octopath though. The demo has rough spots (and blinding contrast in caves) but it definitely shows some promise as a game.

This is also my plan. Romancing SaGa 2 has been something I wanted to play for a while and I'm glad it's making its way to the Switch (and to other platforms).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I would too, even though I'd rather just about any other version. (Except for the Playstation one with its loading screens, oof.)

The needless retranslations suck, as do the new areas. But I'll take whatever Chrono Trigger I can get! And I guess the ability to turn Robo into a critical hit murder machine is nice, even though you have to suffer through really poorly designed new areas to get the stuff.

Now, if they release Chrono Cross... THAT will get me excited. I've considered buying a Vita just to play that game.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

First party Nintendo games are notorious for never getting steep discounts.

I was at Target earlier today and they had a big stack of copies of Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival for 10 bucks each

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PneumonicBook posted:

You can pair it to the SNES classic? Just through USB I assume yea?

They sell a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the SNES Classic’s ports. Works with pretty much any Bluetooth controller apparently, not only their own, but also the Wii U Pro Controller and DualShock 4 (why would you do that).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 12, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Octopath really let's you know how much you should calibrate your TV. It looked fine on my switch screen but my friends place phew their TV is on the default settings and it was saturated as gently caress.

Imma check it on my TV though
Edit: They could stand to Hm reduce the big rear end bright spot a bit but yeah its not that bad on a decent TV.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 12, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was at Target earlier today and they had a big stack of copies of Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival for 10 bucks each

good*

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What's the best place to get an 8bitdo controller? They're listed on Amazon but there are a ton of different sellers so I'm assuming that 95% of them are selling counterfeits.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna take that tough as hell bar maid on my entire adventure.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i know most people dont care but I love the vc and use it all the time on the wiiu and 3ds, it would be sad to see go :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The conversation between pyra and rexs aunt is such a long stark look at clashing character model style/quality i couldnt pay attention

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
spelunker party has no online activity.

it's devoid of any life

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

The conversation between pyra and rexs aunt is such a long stark look at clashing character model style/quality i couldnt pay attention

Pyra's general design aside, The difference is on purpose because ALL the Blades are overly exotic designs. It makes them recognizeable on-sight as Blades compared to the far more sane designs of regular characters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pyra's general design aside, The difference is on purpose because ALL the Blades are overly exotic designs. It makes them recognizeable on-sight as Blades compared to the far more sane designs of regular characters.

In what world is Rex's design sane.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

more sane, not sane

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DLC Inc posted:

seriously even at easy difficulty this game is loving hard. garbage pieces just come out of nowhere and you're being taunted by this catheaded scientist the whole time lol

Study the Puyo Wiki and diagram proper sandwiches until you can do them in 1/10 of a second after being punched in the face, which is about the tension and discombobulation you'll face in actual competition

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

It's a functional Salvager's diving suit, identical to every other Salvager's aside from the blue paintjob. You see him use it all the time, especially in the first few hours of the game :shrug:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

He goes diving a lot and wears a diving suit :confused:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have u seen the aunt? Wii characters look better

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a functional Salvager's diving suit, identical to every other Salvager's aside from the blue paintjob. You see him use it all the time, especially in the first few hours of the game :shrug:.

You know except for the parts that randomly get cut out when he isn't using it and make it look absurd.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

You know except for the parts that randomly get cut out when he isn't using it and make it look absurd.

hey man you'd want a easily removable crotch piece too if you were bouncing in and out of a diving suit, and those boots are hard af to put on/take off

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

...To make the clunky and heavy diving suit easier to move in when not actively diving into the Cloud Sea? :shrug:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...To make the clunky and heavy diving suit easier to move in when not actively diving into the Cloud Sea? :shrug:

it can be practical and still look dumb!

and then there's that heavy metal helmet he wears as a hood, which is incredibly impractical yet absolutely vital at all times

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So if I buy BOTW and buy all its DLC along with it, can I have the motorcycle from the very beginning?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

So if I buy BOTW and buy all its DLC along with it, can I have the motorcycle from the very beginning?

The motorcycle is the reward for beating all the challenges in the second DLC.

The second DLC challenges can't be accessed until you've nearly beaten the whole game.

So no.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

The motorcycle is the reward for beating all the challenges in the second DLC.

The second DLC challenges can't be accessed until you've nearly beaten the whole game.

So no.

And the game awards had the gall to give BOTW game of the year :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looper posted:

it can be practical and still look dumb!

and then there's that heavy metal helmet he wears as a hood, which is incredibly impractical yet absolutely vital at all times

Well Gramps has to hang out somewhere.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just wish I could use his stupid grappling hook outside of cutscenes instead of playing ackward jumping minigames to get to treasure.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

njsykora posted:

Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age on Switch you loving cowards.

Bruh they won't even announce a PC version yet and it's been like 5 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really do loving hate when games give you the best poo poo when you've completely beaten it. Thanks, assholes, I'm done with the game now! I don't need the most powerful weapon or a motor bike or 100 hundred lives (especially that last one, ate you making GBS threads me).

• Locked thread