Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I should be in the discord.

Also holy poo poo that movie was intense.

Great double feature potential with Netflix's The Babysitter.

Yeah I really enjoyed it and I think your right. It's best though to just go in totally cold for that film. Join the discord we watch movies all the time. ( Literally every night pretty much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I watched that Temple movie that's on Netflix, about three American tourists who go to an old Shinto temple in the mountains and bad things happen. It's really bad. The "twist" ending is obvious about twenty minutes in, the film takes forever to actually do anything or get them to the temple, and it's never really clear why anything's happening. Compare to Noroi, another film with a plot about an abandoned Shinto temple, where the protagonist figures out what happened and why- instead these dudes went to a place, they had asinine conflict, and then bad things happened to them for no reason. Once it gets "good" it's still slow and boring. There's one semi-okay effects shot of a monster but it's like three seconds long so it doesn't even have that going for it. Just boring and bad all over.

e: Also we see the monster again a minute or two later, and it's a silhouette, and it's moving, and it looks jerky but in a "we're poo poo at animation" way, not in a cool "it's not human so it doesn't move like a human" way.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Better Watch Out was a silly movie. I wish it would have shown Ricky's head exploding.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
We watched Blood Shack starring the Chooper and Child's Play 2. It was fun and I actually learned a couple things. Wish I had known about the channel before.

Pope Guilty posted:

I watched that Temple movie that's on Netflix, about three American tourists who go to an old Shinto temple in the mountains and bad things happen. It's really bad. The "twist" ending is obvious about twenty minutes in, the film takes forever to actually do anything or get them to the temple, and it's never really clear why anything's happening. Compare to Noroi, another film with a plot about an abandoned Shinto temple, where the protagonist figures out what happened and why- instead these dudes went to a place, they had asinine conflict, and then bad things happened to them for no reason. Once it gets "good" it's still slow and boring. There's one semi-okay effects shot of a monster but it's like three seconds long so it doesn't even have that going for it. Just boring and bad all over.

e: Also we see the monster again a minute or two later, and it's a silhouette, and it's moving, and it looks jerky but in a "we're poo poo at animation" way, not in a cool "it's not human so it doesn't move like a human" way.

I really wanted to like this movie but I found it pretty boring also. Shame too since I think the idea of a Japanese movie starring Americans is neat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

We Know Catheters posted:

Better Watch Out was a silly movie. I wish it would have shown Ricky's head exploding.

I'm really glad it didn't.

That movie was a really great execution of straight tension and psychological torture. The fact that it avoided gore for entertainment was a positive.

Yes, it was a silly movie, but I think it did a really good job of inverting a pretty common trope. As recently seen in The Babysitter (and in countless "Babysitter fiction" since time immemorial)the boy who has an unrequited crush on his teenage babysitter is too often vindicated and presented as the sympathetic audience surrogate we should root for. The Babysitter is a perfectly fun exploration of the coming of age of the young boy and his outgrowing of his inappropriate crush. But in that case, it's catalyzed by the girl being evil. At no point does he realize that his affections are inappropriate,
instead he realizes that their target is unworthy.

In contrast, Better Watch Out criticizes the inherently chauvinistic male privilege in the idea that a boy "deserves a shot" at getting with his babysitter. The whole thing is an indictment of the idea that we should sympathize with a young man's view of his "hot babysitter" instead of respecting her as her own person with her own life outside of the narrative framing device. Luke is a loving "biotruths incel" who may be smart for his age, but mostly is a loving egotistical psychopath. He thinks that he has the perfect plan to get away with rape and murder, and that he's in the right to do it. He tries and fails to imitate Patrick Bateman's dance from American Psycho. Two of his kills are from Home Alone and (possibly) Rob Zombie's Halloween Remake.

Unrelated to that, there's a pretty good chance that he destroyed his parent's marriage on purpose in an attempt to get more attention from them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

We Know Catheters posted:

I wish we at least saw is caved in face after at some point.

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't the creature just someone dressed up with the heads being CGI?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ravenous by Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman

Fart City posted:

Came here to recommend exactly this. If "Manifest Destiny" doesn't get your blood pumping, you may be legally dead.

Franchescanado posted:

Bruno Coulais's Coraline is incredible and underappreciated (he also has another soundtracks that are very good)

I'll post more when I have time to look.

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget how underappreciated they are in the big scheme of things today but here are some I never hear mentioned except on rare occasion within this thread that I love a lot:

Absurd
https://youtu.be/NOQlacoIijM

Crow: City of Angels (I forget if the licensed music is good but this is the actual score):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0g747L5lI4&list=PLD9SoyNbP33X4XRCpKJHmhzrMIfUf8g6q

Forbidden World:
https://youtu.be/Q8n2cPZgdxk

Hellbound: Hellraiser II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBiJUAC1oYE&list=PL7v_KFM4xhO0SoxGw5iE_gCOwFfXt-IZZ

I Know What You Did Last Summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWr8n0M51Dw&list=PLA954362067BE8A00

Ravenous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyhvMrVtMM&list=PLs7s7YCW40wJAIbra0RcDEGL0HhKc5no2&index=12

Tetsuo: The Iron Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxvzqwgoQb4&list=PL08B51C3C8432FEEB

I can post more if these aren't available or not liked.

Thanks everyone, I totally forgot about Ravenous somehow despite loving it and this thread's frequent proselytizing of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't the creature just someone dressed up with the heads being CGI?

I would believe that, yeah.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

What's some good, under appreciated horror movie soundtracks, preferably available on Spotify? I'm writing a really long and really dry document at work, and it goes better when what I listen to doesn't have a ton of words. Note: I've already kind of wore out Carpenter and Goblin.

Possession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LT89eth6Y

The Editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqtIO4ufyd0

Lord of Illusions
https://open.spotify.com/album/3nJtqYkOlNGXt7Oj5See1G

The Ninth Gate
https://youtu.be/7APF2mUo7bE

Bram Stoker's Dracula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e817qtDsIo4

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

What's some good, under appreciated horror movie soundtracks, preferably available on Spotify? I'm writing a really long and really dry document at work, and it goes better when what I listen to doesn't have a ton of words. Note: I've already kind of wore out Carpenter and Goblin.

Neil Young's soundtrack for Dead Man, while not explicitly horror, is some really spooky awesome guitar work, and it's definitely on Spotify

You should also look into Carter Burwell's stuff more. He's done some horror soundtracks, but almost all of them have a haunting quality, like Fargo and Being John Malkovich.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 12, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

Neil Young's soundtrack for Dead Man, while not explicitly horror, is some really spooky awesome guitar work, and it's definitely on Spotify

You should also look into Carter Burwell's stuff more. He's done some horror soundtracks, but almost all of them have a haunting quality, like Fargo and Being John Malkovich.

Dead Man is REALLY good.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pope Guilty posted:

What did you think the "twist" was? The end didn't seem to make much sense based on what we, the viewers, were shown unless the spirit was super active and often unnecessarily so. Was it The book was cursed and everything stems from that? . Because the explained interpretation of It was all in his head doesn't mesh with a The Shining ending and the timing of events seems all wrong.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
New Insidious trailer!

https://youtu.be/6I3ALtvCmyE

Obviously the trailer is heavy on jump scares, but I’m pretty stoked. The first two are great, and I think I may be one of the only people who really, really enjoyed the third.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zachack posted:

What did you think the "twist" was? The end didn't seem to make much sense based on what we, the viewers, were shown unless the spirit was super active and often unnecessarily so. Was it The book was cursed and everything stems from that? . Because the explained interpretation of It was all in his head doesn't mesh with a The Shining ending and the timing of events seems all wrong.

I'm pretty confidant that the kid's tied to the book and the temple and was basically luring Chris, James, and Kate to the temple to be killed. The shop owner was confused that they had the book, indicating it didn't belong in her shop, so the kid probably planted it there. At the end they went very briefly for an "it was all in his head" twist before cutting to the little boy out in the hall revealing himself as one of the ghosts of the children who vanished at the temple. But of course he was involved with the temple, that was obvious from the moment he showed up in the village, and it was incredibly stupid that that didn't bother Chris at all. "It was all in Chris's head" was never plausible and it was dumb for them to try it for the thirty seconds they went with it before "revealing" that the child was real and a ghost.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

If you want another, the soundtrack for the TV miniseries The Stand came up randomly on my spotify today and it's very good acoustic guitar stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

If you want another, the soundtrack for the TV miniseries The Stand came up randomly on my spotify today and it's very good acoustic guitar stuff.

It was what, early 90s? Good time for the guitar

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

It's a Snuffy Walden soundtrack, he who is best known for The West Wing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's a Snuffy Walden soundtrack, he who is best known for The West Wing.

Never watched it!

Burkion posted:

It was what, early 90s? Good time for the guitar

Yeah, it sounds great, and it's very technically impressive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thatfuturekid posted:

New Insidious trailer!

https://youtu.be/6I3ALtvCmyE

Obviously the trailer is heavy on jump scares, but I’m pretty stoked. The first two are great, and I think I may be one of the only people who really, really enjoyed the third.

I can't wait.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just watched this movie called The Black Room and god drat if it's that type of trashy indie horror film with no arthouse pretenses that just goes for broke scraping as much muck as it can with a thin budget. It starts out kinda dodgy, but once it gets its footing, it actually manages to pull off some surprisingly atmospheric lighting and above-average cinematography, plus some really nice gore effects. It's a black comedy, through and through, and if you don't like erotic-grotesque it's not gonna be your bag. But if you're looking for an off-the-beaten-path movie that treads that thin line between irredeemable trash and inspired low budget filmmaking, than I say give it a shake.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
On the exterior Better Watch Out seems like a take on Home Alone but it's actually closer to The Good Son

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

On the exterior Better Watch Out seems like a take on Home Alone but it's actually closer to The Good Son

Kinda, yeah.

I think Better Watch Out was really good. Both leads did some really good acting.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Drunkboxer posted:

Don't know about "underappreciated" per se, but Under the Skin's is on Spotify and it's spooky as hell.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Zartosht posted:

Don't know about "underappreciated" per se, but Under the Skin's is on Spotify and it's spooky as hell.
:yeah:

The It Follows soundtrack is similarly lovely, though again not sure if that counts as underappreciated. The A Field in England soundtrack is also great, though it doesn't include Blanck Mass' "Chernobyl" (that track is also on Spotify though so you can just make a custom playlist and add it in).

I also really like Mogwai's Les Revenants soundtrack though that's more moody thriller melancholy than outright horror.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zartosht posted:

I thought Under the Skin was ridiculous and poo poo. By the time I got to the one vaguely good scene I was so bored it was meaningless. The book is so much better, and the movie threw virtually all of it away.

I will give the movie due credit for using a real disabled person, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

I just watched this movie called The Black Room and god drat if it's that type of trashy indie horror film with no arthouse pretenses that just goes for broke scraping as much muck as it can with a thin budget. It starts out kinda dodgy, but once it gets its footing, it actually manages to pull off some surprisingly atmospheric lighting and above-average cinematography, plus some really nice gore effects. It's a black comedy, through and through, and if you don't like erotic-grotesque it's not gonna be your bag. But if you're looking for an off-the-beaten-path movie that treads that thin line between irredeemable trash and inspired low budget filmmaking, than I say give it a shake.

I agree that the lighting, cinematography and gore effects were above average, and I liked how gross the special effects were, but the movie is so stupidly vulgar and distasteful that I wouldn't recommend it. It's been brought up in this thread before, that's how I found it, and the basic consensus was that it's trash and to avoid it, and while I don't disagree, the whole thing is incredibly watchable.

I think what kills the joy in the movie is that the main monster is an incubus, basically, so most of the humor and conflict come from him trying to rape every woman he comes into contact with, and that's not a fun movie for most people.

Not only that, but the happy ending is to kill off anyone/everyone that would know he was a rapist so he could be "back to normal", and then let him keep his big demon-induced dick

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

I agree that the lighting, cinematography and gore effects were above average, and I liked how gross the special effects were, but the movie is so stupidly vulgar and distasteful that I wouldn't recommend it. It's been brought up in this thread before, that's how I found it, and the basic consensus was that it's trash and to avoid it, and while I don't disagree, the whole thing is incredibly watchable.

I think what kills the joy in the movie is that the main monster is an incubus, basically, so most of the humor and conflict come from him trying to rape every woman he comes into contact with, and that's not a fun movie for most people.

Not only that, but the happy ending is to kill off anyone/everyone that would know he was a rapist so he could be "back to normal", and then let him keep his big demon-induced dick

That's not really a happy ending. The stinger is that the wife is now possessed by an (the?) incubus.

And there's actually a lot going on under the hood in terms of how the film juxtaposes the erotic with not only sexual violence but gore, not unlike a similar ero-guro flick A Slit-Mouthed Woman a.k.a. Sensual Ward. The film is merely guilty of being as cavalier as most of its horror film contemporaries and antecedents that there is an explicitly sexual dimension to violent fantasy. The Black Room takes what was already problematic in the genre, and raises it to the level of explicit characterization, so that it can be mocked at the level of characterization. It turns out that this is not the story of a serial rapist, but a comedic subversion of rape fantasy. The climactic twist is that the film's chauvinistic male villain has all along been trying to reincarnate himself as a bisexual woman, because he imagines that this will make him irresistible. While he is empowered by these fantasies of coercion and assault, he secretly fantasizes that he is persecuted, and longs for an identity that he believes will remove the threat of coercion or assault entirely. In other words, the film's villain shares the pathology of a typical porn-addict. Even in the restaurant, he acknowledges that true erotic power is in the eye of the beholder, not in how you force yourself upon someone.

Don't get me wrong - I fundamentally agree with you that this is a tough film to even begin to recommend, and I would certainly couch all recommendations in a critical pretense, while encouraging everyone to use their highest discretion. That said, I also believe you are more than correct in your highest praise of the film as "incredibly watchable," because it is. But it's incredibly watchable precisely because it doesn't beat around the bush. The threat of sexual violence is neither disguised by morbid violence, nor compartmentalized as merely the abhorrent behavior of a single human-monster. It is, rather, framed as merely one aspect of the entire schema of sexuality as understood within a repressive, sexist society.

Basically, I'd say that, if when I write ero-guro, if you don't automatically know what that means, yeah, don't even give The Black Room a shake. For the rest of us perverts, it's actually a rather artful example of the genre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just rewatched Mimic last night, and I actually think it's an example of CGI being used properly, so that the end result is maybe not completely timeless but it holds up much better than a most of the stuff being made at the time.

The key is that it's almost always intercut with practical effects. For instance, when the characters flee from one of the bugs into a subway car, there's a CG shot of it launching into the air and flying towards the door. Then, the subway doors close with half of it's body inside the car, and in those shots it's a practical effect where Dutton's character shoots it a bunch of times. Then it quickly changes back to CG so we can see it scurry underneath the seat, then practical again when they haul it out to check that it's dead. I tried to find that scene on youtube to post a link but I couldn't.

Anyway, most of the CG effects are used that way, there's a few shots here and there that lean a bit to heavily on it(like when Mira Sorvino first gets taken by one of them) but all in all I think it adds a lot to the movie instead of taking away.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

I thought Under the Skin was ridiculous and poo poo. By the time I got to the one vaguely good scene I was so bored it was meaningless. The book is so much better, and the movie threw virtually all of it away.

I will give the movie due credit for using a real disabled person, though.
They were talking about the soundtrack.

But I’ll bat for the movie too. I really liked how it showed you what was going on with nearly no dialogue and absolutely no exposition. From what I understand about the book it’s entirely different; basically a surrealist satire?

I thought it had some really striking horrible scenes (in a ‘good’ way) that stuck with me but it still managed to make me empathize with the creature by the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think one thing that could cause someone to be bored while watching Under the Skin is if they know too much about it going in. For me so much of it was being dropped into this situation with no exposition to help you figure out what's going on, and then you learn things piece by piece and throw your own interpretations in and match it up with events happening as the film goes on. If you go into it knowing that an alien wearing a woman suit is abducting people and harvesting them for some unknown purpose, I think you probably end up sitting there for a lot of it waiting for something to happen when a blind viewer's mind is going a mile a minute to try to figure things out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zartosht posted:

Ooh, good call.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Just an FYI if you search youtube for the Under the Skin trailer, you'll find there's a channel for cystic acne treatment, so just watch out for that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I do like that soundtrack , but I found myself kind of spacing during it today. I remember that movie being kind of dreamy, so maybe that's the intent.

Bolingbroke posted:

:yeah:

The It Follows soundtrack is similarly lovely, though again not sure if that counts as underappreciated. The A Field in England soundtrack is also great, though it doesn't include Blanck Mass' "Chernobyl" (that track is also on Spotify though so you can just make a custom playlist and add it in).

I also really like Mogwai's Les Revenants soundtrack though that's more moody thriller melancholy than outright horror.

Zartosht posted:

These were both super obvious in retrospect but I had forgotten about both of them so thanks for the recs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

david_a posted:

They were talking about the soundtrack.

But I’ll bat for the movie too. I really liked how it showed you what was going on with nearly no dialogue and absolutely no exposition. From what I understand about the book it’s entirely different; basically a surrealist satire?

In the book Isserley is an alien surgically mutilated to look human (albeit weird) so she can kidnap people to be used as food, but she is more like us than her own species and can't admit it to herself and still do her job. The more empathy she feels for humans, the harder she tries to convince herself that she isn't like us at all. The movie reversed that, missing the point of the story entirely. I could have forgiven the rest of the changes, but not something so fundamental.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I do like that soundtrack , but I found myself kind of spacing during it today. I remember that movie being kind of dreamy, so maybe that's the intent.

I also have a instrumental playlist on Spotify that I use when I write/study. It's a bunch of different genres (the only qualifier is that it's instrumentals), and it includes Goblin, Carpenter, and other movie soundtracks, so it's got a good variety.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

In the book Isserley is an alien surgically mutilated to look human (albeit weird) so she can kidnap people to be used as food, but she is more like us than her own species and can't admit it to herself and still do her job. The more empathy she feels for humans, the harder she tries to convince herself that she isn't like us at all. The movie reversed that, missing the point of the story entirely. I could have forgiven the rest of the changes, but not something so fundamental.

The story Glazer is telling is just so different from what that sounds like though, so while I understand that for a fan of the book it could be a turn off, I don't think it's right to judge the film against a book that Glazer wasn't even attempting to directly adapt. The film is all about how she is opaque, we don't know what she's thinking and can only do our best to interpret that based on her actions. I can see why, if that's what Glazer wanted to do, he just threw out her internal monologue from the book and just came up with something new from scratch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched The Ice Cream Man for the first time last night. It was weird and wild. Very 90s. Clint Howard doing a batman voice while making ice cream is worth your time.

Oh and the detective characters cracked me up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

The story Glazer is telling is just so different from what that sounds like though, so while I understand that for a fan of the book it could be a turn off, I don't think it's right to judge the film against a book that Glazer wasn't even attempting to directly adapt. The film is all about how she is opaque, we don't know what she's thinking and can only do our best to interpret that based on her actions. I can see why, if that's what Glazer wanted to do, he just threw out her internal monologue from the book and just came up with something new from scratch.
This quote from Glazer is pretty relevant:

quote:

I knew then that I absolutely didn't want to film the book. But I still wanted to make the book a film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

david_a posted:

This quote from Glazer is pretty relevant:

Then he can gently caress off and die. If you want to adapt a book, then you want to tell the story. If you don't want to tell the author's story, then you're just passing off your story as his. What's the point? Tell your own loving story, rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Then he can gently caress off and die. If you want to adapt a book, then you want to tell the story. If you don't want to tell the author's story, then you're just passing off your story as his. What's the point? Tell your own loving story, rear end in a top hat.

This is a ridiculous opinion. It happens all the time, a filmmaker likes the basic framework of a story or a premise, and uses that as a launching point but not a strict guide.

The list of great films that have been made this way is very long, so it's a pretty extreme position to take.