Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
i think the secret is to read a book on the way, but i hate reading in front of strangers :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

As it stands, I have a hour commute each way to uni and I just listen to music/nap and that isn't so bad, also it's not like I'm out there every day for 7-8 hours on top of the commute time. But I remember when I worked 10-7 every day and then had 3 hours total of travelling to and from work on top of that and I just never had time to do anything, it was horrible.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How people can spend 4 hours a day travelling to a job is beyond me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sappy Fingers posted:

It's not a requirement that fire systems connect to the brigade (at least in QLD).

It’s probably a requirement of the owners corporation insurance policy though :toot:

Most of the regulatory gaps in Victoria’s building system are going to be addressed first by insurers cracking the shits. Private building surveyors already can’t get insurance to cover them for signing off buildings with ACP/EPS cladding, which (theoretically) means they can’t sign them off because they’re the only people in the Victorian system who is required to maintain professional indemnity insurance

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 12, 2017

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
On fire alarm chat, I was at a firestation a couple of months ago and they reckoned they're the first to know about recessions because of an increase in ~*mysterious*~ inexplicable fires that all start at midnight in small businesses.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I can't help reading between the lines here that they really don't want a bunch of boomers panic selling at the first hint of a downturn

“Stacking Up Bricks”

Mate, I’m a brickie, like my flash ute?
V8 and jet black it’s real fucken beaut
I’m 26, three IPs and a house
Investing’s a doddle it’s just bloody grouse
Bought a new joint right off the plan
Saved on stamp duty I am so the man!
It’s interest only, yeah lock that right in
Leverage up go harder to win
Equity mate! Growth’s what you use
Forget about yields, that’s why you lose
The property game it’s money for jam
Five percent down, I’m rich, yes I am

Told my boss I was quitting to do my own thing
Hell, it’s so easy, put a few renos in
Just six months later I’ve bought myself nine
But my fixerups aren’t quite running on time
Bloody drat tradies those cunts are so lazy
Turn up on schedule? Are you fucken crazy?
My costs they are jumping but no need to worry
House prices are rising in a hell of a hurry
The bank, they just called, want a meeting next week
I’m borrowing more, I’ll own half the drat street!
My banker and me we’re real best of chums
I let him handle all those tiresome sums
He does the numbers, I take him out drinking
Then to a strip show to see something winking
Last time around he approved my 9th flat
Relationship management, easy as that

I got a twin brother, he’s got two degrees
Still paying off HECS he lives on his knees
Been telling me “bro, it’s a ridiculous bubble”
Dopey dumb oval office there’s no bloody trouble
To prove I was smarter and show him who’s right
We zipped off to Bali late that same night
Used up my offset, drew my cash down
And just like a flash we was clean outta town
Flew there on business, gently caress me its great
Shagged Suzie the hostie, he shagged her best mate

Soon as we’re back I head down to the bank
My manager mate he starts talking frank
He reckons this market’s on a crazy old tear
It can’t really last far into next year
Investors gone mental, pumping in super
Leveraging up, a big feedback looper
Incomes and rents they can’t keep the pace
Banks way exposed big risk to the base
The old fundamentals they’re shot all to hell
He told me right then it won’t end so well
The bubble is growing, no doubt will get bigger
But oh when it pops what a grave it’ll dig ya
Buying in now, that’s a fool’s silly gambit
Paying king’s ransom for a lovely wee hamlet
The yield’s are pathetic the gains they aren’t there
Recession is coming it’s buyer beware!
There’s so many folks with a ginormous mortgage
They lose their job… well it’s financial carnage
A full recourse loan, there’s no great escape
You’ll stay a bank slave, suffer digital rape
We sequester your income, leave you on a drip
We’ve got your ticket, we’ll keep taking clips
With so many owners desperate to quit
To lowballing offers they’ll quickly submit
As prices start tumbling then heavily crashing
Owning IPs will go right out of fashion
The lines on the chart they have to converge
Back to historical levels where the medians merge
Prices to income, prices to rent
It’s all going back to be where they’re meant

I’m confused for a moment cos this can’t go wrong
I’m riding a winner that’s running real strong
Houses we all know only upwards they go
No way imagined I’d do any dough
The loans are all solid, I ain’t going down
What do they know these suit-wearing clowns?
The recipe’s perfect, geared up tax breaks
Invest into property, that’s wealth ya can’t fake
I knew that my prospects were brighter than bright
Then the oval office dropped me smack deep in the shite

Your LVR mate, it’s right out of whack
You desperately need to drag it right back
You’re way over the edge, you’re past 99
If it was 80 well then you’d be fine
No worries, I tell him, the market’s real strong
I’ll flick off one IP that won’t take me long
He looked at me funny, said I’m “over risked”
We want back our money and we want it brisk
But mate! Its all sorted, I got it sussed
And that’s when that rear end in a top hat pushed me under the bus
Your numbers don’t add up you’re selling them all
You’re leveraged to hell and set for a fall
We ain’t going down cos you can’t add up
I’m telling you straight, this ain’t no windup
Get me five million you got 30 days
Five million?! You’re joking?! There’s no fucken way!!

It’s over red rover, it’s cash flow you lack
You’ve blown out the budget, you’re swimming in crap
Negative geared, just three tenants who pay thee
(And fixing nine Renos, all currently empty)
Was 5 percent down now your equity’s shot
Pay up on the knocker or we take back the lot
We’ll sell in possession, we’ll get what we can
There’ll be nothing left over for you tradie man
Any mortgagee losses we incur on the way
Lucky for us your insurance defrays
And oh, by the way, we’ll grab back your ute
That loan’s 30k and a bit more to boot

I turned kind of pale, my Bali tan faded
I blurted out loud, “but I thought I had made it”
It was blindingly clear that it wasn’t my fault
Those fucken oval office bankers forcing needless defaults
Took all of my money, I’m bankrupt, I’m broke
Parasite wankers, preyin’ on tradie folk
Called my old boss to get my job back
But he isn’t hiring, says construction’s gone flat
So I’m living with mum, I’ve gone on the dole
Now all I can pull is some ugly fat moll

And so ends the story of a tradie who knew
gently caress all (or less) as to why he went through
Hubris and greed are not a great mix
When all one is good at is
stacking
up
bricks

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Whitlam posted:

On fire alarm chat, I was at a firestation a couple of months ago and they reckoned they're the first to know about recessions because of an increase in ~*mysterious*~ inexplicable fires that all start at midnight in small businesses.

And was there?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's a good thing that hackers only like things on twitter these days and don't care about things like your credit card or banking details.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A Metropolitan Fire Brigade alarm system audit of about 25 significant buildings in the city has found about half of buildings checked were not connected to the brigade.

Sources close to the fire service say it is suspected rogue building operators are routinely unlinking fire alarms in an attempt to avoid call-out fees…

Sources say the practice of disabling alarms has increased in recent years…

I can't believe the systems aren't snap audited by the fire department once a year specifically to stop this.

Or do they already and it degraded that much over one calendar year? Because that would be something worth investigating.

trump lover posted:

yeah people commute from newy to sydney all the time

i worked with a lady who'd been commuting from cardiff to sydney cbd to work at david jones (!) five days a week for forty-eight years (!!)

Years ago when I lived in Sydney for a couple years I used to watch the Newcastle express zoom into the Sydney CBD while waiting for my own train. This was very early in the morning.

Every time I thought "gently caress that, those poor bastards".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I can't believe the systems aren't snap audited by the fire department once a year specifically to stop this.

Or do they already and it degraded that much over one calendar year? Because that would be something worth investigating.

“Degraded”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

JBP posted:

Is this true or just some housing crisis panic thing you've invented, because there are plenty of people buying cheap investment homes in regions to get a "foot in the door".

Just as the domino effect of property jostling happens in the capital cities, so it can play out similarly in some of the top sea and tree change townships.

Castlemaine — the artsy hub of the Goldfields region that has been known as “Northcote North” since being colonised by early tree changers and first-home buyers who realised they had to get out of Melbourne to get into the market — continues to maintain such allure that “it’s going nuts!” according to agent Tom Robertson.

The Waller Realty agent says “the amount of enquiry is phenomenal. We’re flat out sales-wise, too. There are no quiet seasons here anymore”.

Originally a Victorian home built at Maryborough, the lovely, four bedroom Rosehill farm has been moved several times before landing in Maldon. It's on the market for $675,000-$695,000

Fellow agent Brett Waller, of Castlemaine Property Group, laments that “for this time in spring, the amount of stock is well down”.

Most inquirers are coming from Melbourne. “But we’ve also got people moving up from Woodend now because they no longer feel like they’re in the country until they get past Malmsbury.”

With the continuous waves of incoming newbies, even on a cold day, Castlemaine township is rocking.

An attention grabbing budget priced property at Newstead sold easily as it was priced at $235,000, was on 970-square metres and close to the local school

Photographer Michael Rayner, who moved up last year because in search of affordable property and “a powerful sense of community” embedded within a scene he could relate to, has counted 14 cafes in the commercial hub.

“It’s funkster junction,” confirms Robertson.

Yet, in a town where any cute period property in need of renovation is now hard to find, and when they are fixed up can sell for $600,000 to $700,000 — “with quite a few selling for $1 million” — the domino effect is in operation.

This church conversion at Fryerstown fetched $675,000 when it sold recently.

The response of some long-term residents who liked it sleepier, has been to move out of the big smoke they believe Castlemaine has become and on to the smaller, cheaper, satellite villages of the district. Here, they can buy a nice house for about $400,000 and either pocket the change or put it into their super.

“They’re escaping,” says Robertson. “Escaping the Melbourne-type prices and moving one town further out.”

This “Castlemaine effect” is bringing into focus the old gold rush towns of Maldon, Harcourt, Fryerstown and Guildford.

This substantial Victorian weatherboard in Templeton Street, Maldon, is on the market for $785,000

History-redolent Maldon, with its film-set red bricks, rusting galvanised iron and streetscapes of arching verandahs is, Waller says, 20 minutes from the transport links of Castlemaine.

“People now settling in Maldon are prepared to travel to Castlemaine to commute to Melbourne (90 minutes by train to Southern Cross Station),” he says.

If their children don’t attend schools in Maldon or Castlemaine, including a Steiner School option, the kids also become commuters, travelling on to reputable colleges in Kyneton, Bendigo or Maryborough.

In Harcourt, an elegant four bedroom home on an acre is looking for $598,000.

On granite country and famous for its wines and apples, Harcourt hasn’t much of a commercial centre. But in all the residential breathing space, there are some tidy and affordable homes.

One that is more upmarket than most is a four-bedroom home in Reservoir Road that, on an acre, is looking for $598,000 through Wallers.

“Harcourt is popular because it’s handy to Melbourne, interesting to young families,” says Robertson, “and there’s quite a bit of subdivision talk going on.”

In pretty and scantily populated Fryerstown, 10 kilometres south-west of Castlemaine, Robertson has just sold another top priced “but beautiful church conversion for $675,000”.

At the other end of the price scale and consequently contested by a crowd of interested buyers is an interesting new house built using old materials that Brett Waller has also just sold for $235,000. (Yes, you read that right!) Sited at Newstead, a town midway between Castlemaine and Daylesford.

Also on the way to Daylesford is picturesque, if low-key, Guildford (population 333) where, among a handful of properties on the market, are an almost million dollar, four-bedroom brick house on 20 acres, and a converted train “with a pool and three bedrooms”, adds Robertson.

Speaking of trains, Brett Waller reckons that because Castlemaine and its satellite settlements are now considered viable for daily city commutes, the velocity of the region’s future development will hinge “on what happens next in public transport”.

That, and the domino effect of property jostling.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

DancingShade posted:

Properties are audited yearly to check that the keys given by the property managers still work and that the fire indicator panels and alarm signalling equipment are serviceable.

Also that any fitted systems have been maintained. (Which the maintenance company is responsible for doing, not the brigade).

The MFB wasn’t charging for false alarms for a few years while they were in dispute with the union. It cost the brigade hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars a year in lost fines. And because no one was paying fines they also weren’t bothering to maintain their systems, which saved them cash two times over.

Now that the brigade is charging for false alarms again, and owners/property managers are having to pay fines they’re responding to that by disconnecting their systems?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chinese meddling in Australian politics ended by American meddling in Australia politics

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

trump lover posted:

and while i was lucky enough to be a client at max employment in darlinghurst (lol) one of the consultants was homeless and lived in a hotel in wyong and got up at 5am every morning to commute to his full-time job that he said didn't pay him enough to live on, and i believe him

actually he was the best and most compassionate jsa person i ever had, unfortunately he only lasted about a fortnight and then had a nervous breakdown

What.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Chinese meddling in Australian politics ended by American meddling in Australia politics
You see, there's meddling and then there's meddling.

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
he was new to the job, i think he'd only been there about a week when i got there, it takes up a while to save enough for a rental bond and deposit if you're starting out with literally nothing

unless you're whatting that max employment wasn't helping him with his non-conducive-to-fulltime-work life situation while demanding he work fulltime hours, in which case,

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
but yeah i turned up to the appointment the week after to be told "he's in hospital" and the week after that it was "oh he left, i don't know what happened to him". which is a highly successful work placement by max employment standards

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

SadisTech posted:

NBNCo just sent me a lovely survey to fill out, asking about my experiences in the first 3 months of being a new NBN customer... I told them. I basically typed an essay and threw it into the pit, from which it will never escape and will make no difference. Made me feel a little better though.

I don't know if this will make any difference either but I've put my name down for this hoping to add to the data of what is going on with the NBN.

https://consultation.accc.gov.au/regulated-infrastructure/broadband-performance-and-monitoring-program/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dude McAwesome posted:

Properties are audited yearly to check that the keys given by the property managers still work and that the fire indicator panels and alarm signalling equipment are serviceable.

Also that any fitted systems have been maintained. (Which the maintenance company is responsible for doing, not the brigade).

The MFB wasn’t charging for false alarms for a few years while they were in dispute with the union. It cost the brigade hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars a year in lost fines. And because no one was paying fines they also weren’t bothering to maintain their systems, which saved them cash two times over.

Now that the brigade is charging for false alarms again, and owners/property managers are having to pay fines they’re responding to that by disconnecting their systems?

Basically the brigade noticed a massive and unexplained drop in automatic call outs and did some digging and hey turns out building owners are requiring their system to prevent the callout

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

Basically the brigade noticed a massive and unexplained drop in automatic call outs and did some digging and hey turns out building owners are requiring their system to prevent the callout

Well that seems maliciously negligent!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dude McAwesome posted:

Well that seems maliciously negligent!

yeah if someone dies the building manager and whatever dumb as bricks sparky who agreed to do it are well hosed

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

'the castlemaine effect'

Lmao that's only been happening since the 90's. In truth it has a lot to do with the improvement in public transport: Bendigo commutes weren't very viable until about 5 years ago which is why it used to be the 'Kyneton effect' when Kyneton was just an hour from Melbourne. But Castlemaine land and house prices were always insane, it's been a hipster paradise for decades.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dude McAwesome posted:

:cripes:

Find those responsible and make them do community service, specifically doing frontline work in an actual bushfire. Hell toss in some free bonus CBRN training. Everyone loves that.

Also fine the poo poo out of the body corporate.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

This is weird reading given that I'm on the verge of buying a place near Castlemaine and I didn't realise at all it was such a thing. I just have family there!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hiddenmovement posted:

And was there?

They were insisting they predicted the 2008 recession so... :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are you the Wild Colonial Boy?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tomberforce posted:

This is weird reading given that I'm on the verge of buying a place near Castlemaine and I didn't realise at all it was such a thing. I just have family there!

You must have forgone a lot of smashed avocados. I hope you get to enjoy them again soon, in a few more years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

yeah if someone dies the building manager and whatever dumb as bricks sparky who agreed to do it are well hosed

Damnit, they should be well hosed right loving now. :colbert:

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
westfield just sold for many billion dollars to the french! happy hanukkah everybody!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

should i buy a house in canberra or not. this investment poo poo sucks rear end and i hate it

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

buy one somewhere good

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Damnit, they should be well hosed right loving now. :colbert:

Regulation of the building industry in Victoria is at best reactive and more realistically non existent

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The sexual assault chef was Mario Batali

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Regulation of the building industry in Victoria is at best reactive and more realistically non existent

Well you see the free market will provide a clear incentive for builders and developers to do the right thing.

Try saying that out loud with a straight face.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TwoEyeHead/status/940177563653042176

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/TransLinkQLD/posts/2235979319761454

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/queensland-police-service-python-strewth/

quote:

Fangs McFuck was found by two Queensland Police Service officers doing a night patrol around Wujul Wujul (a few hours’ drive north of Cairns) when they noticed the massive, undulating body of a basilisk-esque serpent obstructing the road.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anybody just see that thing about the child abuse royal commission on ABC? Pretty intense.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Mods please rename me to Fangs McFuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/940531757249470465

• Locked thread