Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Guitarists can't ever bring themselves to say "it's pointless but I like it", there always has to be some magical benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The other guitar player from my original band loved that his PRS Custom 22 (the one with Fender Style Bridge w/ whammy bar and rotatory pickup selector?) had a ton of belt-scratches, cuts and stuff of the like. It looked beautiful too. :3:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kjetting posted:

The local instrument shop apparently has a great deal with the German guitar brand "Sandberg". About the price range of Fender and Gibson, but better quality control.

The instruments themselves are really high quality, they feel great, sound great, many have cool designs, BUT... Most of them are relic-ed.
http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/guitars/california-dc

At least of the ones the shop took in most of them have some kind of relic finish, maybe to drive home the selling point that every one of the guitars are hand made and unique one of a kind instruments. I hate it, myself. I don't mind if my guitars have scratches and bruises, as long as it's wear and tear from playing and traveling. I've said about several of the guitars that "wow, I'd want that if it wasn't scratched up". One of the clerks, a friend of mine who's a great guitar player and gear geek, insists that the aging is more than just cosmetic, it vastly improves the tone and if we had set up an A/B test it would be clear that the aged ones had better sustain and tone. Also, for some reason this tonal effect only comes from aging with sandpaper and tools, not from road wear.

Sandberg are really nice pro level instruments easily on a level with Musicman/Lakland/top end Fender gear. Obviously the relic stuff sells but can't imagine why they felt the need to get into that market in the first place.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anime Reference posted:

Guitarists can't ever bring themselves to say "it's pointless but I like it", there always has to be some magical benefit.

not necessarily true, though the ones who have that attitude (me) probably more go for the cheap poo poo and don’t need to justify the investment as hard

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Yeah, like I said, I think they're great, but I can't stand the "aging", and apart from the "Not-Tele" the local shop is ONLY stocking the relic stuff. Also they had a couple of those really cool/weird basses that look like you're playing a photoshop, they were sold almost instantly.

Then again, my guitars have a tendency to look relic-ed after a few weeks of use.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 11, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

not necessarily true, though the ones who have that attitude (me) probably more go for the cheap poo poo and don’t need to justify the investment as hard

someone's never listened to a blueslawyer explain why his private stock prs mccarty aaaa-quilted maple cap has more articulate upper harmonic sensitivity than the more pedestrian ten top flame maple

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

kjetting posted:

Yeah, like I said, I think they're great, but I can't stand the "aging", and apart from the "Not-Tele" the local shop is ONLY stocking the relic stuff. Also they had a couple of those really cool/weird basses that look like you're playing a photoshop, they were sold almost instantly.

Then again, my guitars have a tendency to look relic-ed after a few weeks of use.

This is awesome. The natural wood sections kind of detract from its brilliance, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

looks like something billy sheehan would sport onstage at the celebrity center while introducing david miscavige

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hate every version of the word relic-ed/relic’d/reliced. Not sure why it grates on my nerves so bad but it does.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pumped up for school posted:

This is awesome. The natural wood sections kind of detract from its brilliance, though.

I like the natural wood parts but I wish the body and headstock stripes carried through on the fretboard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

I hate every version of the word relic-ed/relic’d/reliced. Not sure why it grates on my nerves so bad but it does.

Relicked

Reliqued

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really appreciate this video because it's a pro guy just messing around at home and also he's using an office chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwpSVu4EvY

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I'm going to relic my trumpet and get some good tone dents going

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Tone tarnish?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Tone tarnish?

a tone patina

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Unlacquered brass and saxophones is a thing. I think Cannonball is the main source of those. They look good though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really appreciate this video because it's a pro guy just messing around at home and also he's using an office chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwpSVu4EvY

This loving owns.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MattO posted:

I'm going to relic my trumpet and get some good tone dents going

That's how they make steel drums, isn't it?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

prefect posted:

That's how they make steel drums, isn't it?

Hang drums! Now there's some real SMS. 2-3 grand for 5 bucks worth of metal. Right on, brother

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Hang drums are fun to play though. I like the concept of anyone can play this and have it sound OK, and are much better to take to something like a bbq or the beach than an acoustic if only because no one can play loving Oasis on it. Couldn't justify owning one but thankfully the hippies that do are always keen for others to have a go.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey fellow musicians! we heard you're curious about that bitcoin thing all the kids are into these days. well how about a bitcoin, but for you and your lifestyle!

http://www.toiletovhell.com/stay-the-hell-away-from-viberate/

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
https://reverb.com/item/6032508-antonio-tsai-custom-goth-style-guitar-with-two-hum-buckers-black-with-graveyard-art
The item description makes this thing seem like equal parts stupid and amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the aesthetic is eye-rolling, but if you're going to go that route, this is how you do it.

as hard as possible.

come on people LIGHT UP SKULL LEDS

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
glenn fricker's got some competition, possibly a new boyfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Txi5dMxXc0

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Nothing says good tones like in-camera audio. Also this is the guy who had a tantrum when dealing with a bad seller on Reverb. He is marginally less hateable than Woodeso's Guitar Mods.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So who’s the most hateable, I need entertainment

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this guy fucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtwzfuSHAc

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I'm glad Anderton's have embraced the Miku Stomp as the thing of beauty it is to go with other garish poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKjv59C5NI

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZN-51ShCc

I love unboxering videos.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dat distortion

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

"Comments are disabled for this video."

drat, i wanted to figure out the tone secret

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Manlove posted:

"Comments are disabled for this video."

drat, i wanted to figure out the tone secret

the secret is no pants

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

the secret is no pants

well that explains the pronounced low end

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
*presses distortion button and starts playing*

*tttssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss yoom yoom tssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss reeeeeeeeeeeee rrrreeeeeeeeee tsssssssssssssssssss*

Beautiful.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Pointing a flashlight at the body of the guitar makes its tone warmer as long as the bulb is under 3500k.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
he's got a great bunch of guitars as the header pic of his YT channel

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

he's got a great bunch of guitars as the header pic of his YT channel

Well that explains the playing and tone and amps and underwear and tshirt and hair at least.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
post is not edit.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I don't understand why someone would own one BC Rich, let alone multiple.

Guessing they're the $180 Chinese ones, too, judging by the other stuff he's shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is basically a voyeur video of me jamming everyday but I’m thiccer and don’t always wear a shirt while I play.