Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was almost hoping that Rick would go from person to person and see that they're all bitten and this keeps playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This season has been aggressively boring. It feels like they're trying to be super arty about the plot while still having badass action sequences but it's also incredibly disjointed and I don't have enough of an investment to any of the characters anymore to really care at all.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm rewatching the Maggie convoy part again and Steven Ogg deserves so much better than this show

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Erik Kain writes what we're all thinking in this forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/12/10/the-walking-dead-season-8-midseason-finale-review-what-a-joke/#5a807a3e357c

-"I'm not going to recap this midseason finale. I don't have the energy to summarize. I don't care enough anymore about the nonsensical plot and the bad writing to go that extra mile. The Walking Dead doesn't deserve careful recaps or deep analysis anymore. Its producers and writers are either lazy or hacks or some horrible combination of the two. Whatever the case, this episode was embarrassing to watch. I can only imagine how embarrassing it must be to have written, produced, directed or acted in it."

It goes on: "And just as inexplicably, Simon lets them all go back to the Hilltop without a scratch. Well, to be fair, he kills a guy. Neil. Good ol' Neil who we just met tonight. Man, that sucks that they killed Neil. We really cared about that guy."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

The only way I see them getting out of it is if this leads to some sort of end game for the show and has Carl surviving and hey everyone we have a cure/vaccination.

Is it too much to hope that they are going to go for a double misdirect in the show?

Carl is bit! Oh no! Carl survives!!! He must be immune, let's all put aside our differences to work together and try to figure out how he can be immune. The Doctor and Eugene get involved. This carries on for a few episodes until we discover the Whisperers and realise he was never immune.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Normally I like to think that TV IV ruins anything by over analysing and discussing things but I couldnt even make it through 5 minutes of the last two episodes before turning it off and deciding to watch someone on youtube do teardowns of junk from Deal Extreme instead.

This show is loving garbage.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It goes on: "And just as inexplicably, Simon lets them all go back to the Hilltop without a scratch. Well, to be fair, he kills a guy. Neil. Good ol' Neil who we just met tonight. Man, that sucks that they killed Neil. We really cared about that guy."

This is the part of the show that really makes you wonder who the gently caress writes this. Like if the Saviors are such villains, this kill one person poo poo is so limp dicked to almost be a joke. Oh hey you can kill a hundred of us but we'll execute one of you, lesson learned. I mean the 'good' guys summarily execute most enemy they come across and yet the villains literally go out of their way to give people how many chances. I know the bullshit 'they want a labor force' but frankly a labor force that constantly rebels is a bigger liability than...

oh gently caress it why am I putting more thought to this than the writers.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Is it too much to hope that they are going to go for a double misdirect in the show?

Carl is bit! Oh no! Carl survives!!! He must be immune, let's all put aside our differences to work together and try to figure out how he can be immune. The Doctor and Eugene get involved. This carries on for a few episodes until we discover the Whisperers and realise he was never immune.

Senor Tron posted:

Sounds too smart for this show, and even if it happened exactly that way imagine it happening in the most hamfisted and boring way possible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Erik Kain writes what we're all thinking in this forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/12/10/the-walking-dead-season-8-midseason-finale-review-what-a-joke/#5a807a3e357c

-"I'm not going to recap this midseason finale. I don't have the energy to summarize. I don't care enough anymore about the nonsensical plot and the bad writing to go that extra mile. The Walking Dead doesn't deserve careful recaps or deep analysis anymore. Its producers and writers are either lazy or hacks or some horrible combination of the two. Whatever the case, this episode was embarrassing to watch. I can only imagine how embarrassing it must be to have written, produced, directed or acted in it."

Linked from that article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/12/11/theres-only-one-way-to-save-the-walking-dead-now-and-it-isnt-pretty/#5a093ea62b0f

quote:

Now, with the death of Carl, we're seeing anger not just from fans but from actor Chandler Riggs' own father who wrote on Facebook that he never trusted Gimple to begin with.

"Watching Gimple fire my son 2 weeks before his 18th birthday after telling him they wanted him for the next three years was disappointing," Chandler's father, William Riggs, wrote on Facebook (via the Hollywood Reporter.)

"I never trusted Gimple or AMC but Chandler did. I know how much it hurt him. But we do absolutely know how lucky we have been to be a part of it all and appreciate all the love from fans all these years!"

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man this is bad. There is like 10 minute scene in the middle where that saviour talks to maggie and I feel none of it matters.

Negan was nattering on and I just let it play while I did some chores and when I came back he was still talking.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Ey8O3zT.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
while making that I realized that the editor seriously just plopped a bunch of cross dissolves down with the standard timing, they do not care

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I read a comment that puts things perfectly.

This is The Room of TV shows.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
afaik the bite doesn't infect you with anything beyond what would normally kill you in our current reality if a loving rotting corpse bit into you and and your veins, you just die and everyone is infected so you turn, so carl would die anyway. If he was immune he just wouldn't turn. gr8 theory

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

They sort of already did that in Fear season 2b but it could still be on the table.

However Chandler Riggs seems genuinely disappointed (but taking it well) about it and it kind of looks like he has confirmed they are not bringing him back from this. I don't think it's a fakeout.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Acacia REI posted:

They sort of already did that in Fear season 2b but it could still be on the table.

However Chandler Riggs seems genuinely disappointed (but taking it well) about it and it kind of looks like he has confirmed they are not bringing him back from this. I don't think it's a fakeout.

maybe they're that committed to the fakeout and he's acting bummed irl because it's part of the fakeout hahaha imagine if people making this show gave a poo poo

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Acacia REI posted:

I mean, would seem extra cliche after Jon Snow recently too.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm rewatching the Maggie convoy part again and Steven Ogg deserves so much better than this show

Word. Whenever I youtube scenes, that guy's scenes are somehow just never bad. And usually I'm the sort of guy who can't let bad writing go.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 12, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel sort of unsure about what actually happened. It's so dark through the whole episode though, that doesn't help.

When there's no detail of numbers it just turns into the stupidness of Game of Thrones where one side can be totally outnumbered and on the verge of losing but then suddenly has shitloads of spare soldiers just somewhere.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Thrifting Day! posted:

Is this a wet fart attempt to copy the “Is Jon Snow actually dead” hysteria?

Jon Snow would be a perfect fit for this show because he supersucks just as bad as everyone in twd. That episode with the icy lake cements his level of intelligence and plot armour to be on par with rick.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Akumos posted:

I mean, would seem extra cliche after Jon Snow recently too.

I am sure that would stop Walking Dead, the bozos who brought to you the baseball bat death end season tease.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Gortarius posted:

Jon Snow would be a perfect fit for this show because he supersucks just as bad as everyone in twd. That episode with the icy lake cements his level of intelligence and plot armour to be on par with rick.

I kinda feel like that's the danger of any one designated 'hero who will stay for the duration of the show'. On a long enough timeline the writers get lazy/slip up and the character's plot armor becomes so bloody apparent, that it just hurts. I was honestly hoping and cheering for Jon to actually frikking stay dead at the end of S5, but eh...here we are I guess with boatsex. At this point I'm honestly sorta glad there's just gonna be S8 and that's confirmed gonna be the end.

In a way it makes me morbidly curious to see The Walking Dead shithouse continue, just so that I can see how low Rick Grimes can go. And though the comic deffo throws him several such moments, it doesn't even remotely come close to the show lol.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 12, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Acacia REI posted:

I thought he wanted off the show to go to college. I didn't realize they "fired" him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He probably mentioned wanting to go to college at some point so the producers decided to get rid of him before he would quit.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I honestly thought he had started already. They left him back, Rosalita (she was pregnant, had a baby over the summer) and Michonne (now an Avenger). I figured all three of them weren't readily available for filming which is why they were barely in it this season.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I heard there was also to be some contract renegotiation where he wanted more money. It is amazing how many people are fully turning on the show now that they killed off carl.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The show is getting some serious hate at the moment which is a little weird because it's not like it was very good before this mess.

It does seem like the writers have actively tried to piss off everyone though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Since Daryl isn't in the comics, going forward, Rick is gonna adopt Daryl and he'll take Carl's place in where Carl would've been.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like Carl in the comics we will see Daryl lose his virginity

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder what the point was to even having an ocean side scene

Also I thought Aaron knew how to interact with warlords but instead they set up the truck as an Obvious Trap

At least have some notes saying WE COME IN PEACE, SORRY ABOUT TARA BEIN A BITCH

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CODChimera posted:

The show is getting some serious hate at the moment which is a little weird because it's not like it was very good before this mess.

It does seem like the writers have actively tried to piss off everyone though.

Of course it was a mess before this, but as much as I hate referencing :tvtropes: for anything, this description really does seem what it's headed towards with CARRRRRL being legitimately offed:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase

Like, I can just see the factions within the fandom split into the two extreme camps (it was great/it loving sucks) and neither realizing that all this is happening because of just how poo poo the writing is lol. But yea, they just need to do some kind of shayamalalalayn twist like the Glenn dumpster, make Carl's actor lie and rehire him (or he and his dad are lying right now, but lol, I doubt they put that much effort into the deceit like Kit Harrington did with Jon Snuh) and ta-dah. They got their audience roped for awhile longer.

But if they do legit kill him off, then lmao - they got so lazy they guaranteed this.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 12, 2017

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Since Daryl isn't in the comics, going forward, Rick is gonna adopt Daryl and he'll take Carl's place in where Carl would've been.

DOORRRRAAALLLL!

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Rick plotted all of this just so he could get his cool hat back. :hehe:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Good thing Rick got his gun out of the house so he could...run away from a guy with a bat?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Why is Rick always soaking wet?

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
Finally got around to watching the mid-season finale. It was murkily filmed, badly edited, disjointed, confusing, poorly written, terrible directed, and then all that awfulness was topped off with a brainless decision to off a major character for “story reasons” (ignoring he is a major part of the story going forward in the comics). It was for the usual shock value - substituting the shock value of death for actual interesting writing is a dead-end for me. You can always write off a bad individual episode to a confluence of events that isn’t to going to be readily repeated, but this time I think they simply jumped the shark on all levels. Maybe if they announce Scott Gimple is being fired and that the episode is going to be undone, but other than that, I think I’m done with it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Why is anyone other than Eugene and Simon even on this show?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

did they actually specify what Eugene did to draw the horde away from the Sanctuary? Everybody kept saying "it was Eugene" but I don't remember him actually... doing anything.

did I fall asleep during that part?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Snorkzilla posted:

Why is Rick always soaking wet?

I was just thinking this. He is always wet, blearly tear-eyed and dirty. It's pretty good costuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Truant posted:

did they actually specify what Eugene did to draw the horde away from the Sanctuary? Everybody kept saying "it was Eugene" but I don't remember him actually... doing anything.

did I fall asleep during that part?

He had the idea to shoot the zombies and make more ammo

Also I guess he made more soldiers?