Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Azhais posted:

I didn't really like that the mysterious never seen all powerful sinnerman is just waltzing into restaurants to murder everyone himself. He'd have been a far more effective from the shadows villain

He's actually not The Sinnerman, he's Jim Sinnerman, of the West Virginia Sinnermans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

He lives next door to the Futtermans.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

grack posted:

He's actually not The Sinnerman, he's Jim Sinnerman, of the West Virginia Sinnermans

Nah, Sinclair Rutherford Mann. Goes by "Sin" for short. Sin R. Mann.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought they were darkened to make it look like she wasn't getting enough sleep with all the weird poo poo going on.

Well those aren't mutually exclusive.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Sinnerman turned out to be either a dumbass or planned to get arrested just so he could cut out his own eyes in a way that would freak out Lucifer. Was it a power play? Was it the actions of a madman? Was it desperation?
Tune in next week (not this week), I guess.

Edit: still hearing "Sinnerman Toast Crunch" jingle in my head for some reason.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 8, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: still hearing "Sinnerman Toast Crunch" jingle in my head for some reason.

God drat it.

:colbert: thanks for that. Now that's all I'm going to hear.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay that was a pretty loving awesome last five minutes

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

J33uk posted:

Okay that was a pretty loving awesome last five minutes

I really wasn't expecting it, and every last bit of it was wonderful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought last week was the midseason finale for some reason, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover an episode this week.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought there was something off with the new Captain from the very start, when he didn't seem to have the slightest interest in who bailed out the killer in the Season Premiere, so this wasn't a big surprise to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zebulon posted:

I really wasn't expecting it, and every last bit of it was wonderful.

The twist was obvious.

The reveal was great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The minute he showed up on this series, I knew he was the new supervillain who everyone already knew about but who nobody had ever mentioned before.

I knew that New Chief was the Cinnamon. Or the head super bad guy of the season. I knew he was part of it, because he telegraphed it with the whole "stay away from him" nonsense.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That something was up with him was obvious.

That he was trying to go all Dogma and try to arrange for Lucifer to kill a human so that he, actually Cain, could finally just loving die however was not exactly something I expected. The reveal of it was amazing, too. There's just enough delay that you start to wonder if he actually did kill a human, and the actor pulled off a vaguely doubting "huh, this is taking a while..." moment right about when that started for me.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Gawain The Blind posted:

Looking forward to the slow motion Thomas Crown style segment with the Nina Simone song when we get to the sinnerman reveal and find out that it was the new lieutenant the whole time!

Half-right.

Still shocking they didn't dust off the song tho. If this had been supernatural we would have gotten the song.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, what an ending.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was a great loving ending.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Redeemed. That was amazing.
We all knew something was up, but this? What a reveal!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Half-right.

Still shocking they didn't dust off the song tho. If this had been supernatural we would have gotten the song.

Didn't Lucifer play the song on the piano in his club in the second or third episode of the series? They probably felt like they couldn't use it again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So, does this mean that Sinnerman is Abel? Or just a random guy Cain knows. I know we've diverted pretty far from the comics at this point but Cain and Abel were pretty big characters in the Dreaming, and though the "Cain kills Abel when he's bored" running gag could continue over here, I doubt it.

Also, I would probably like them going the Cain route of Supernatural hadn't done it semi recently with Detective Lassiter as Cain.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Medullah posted:

So, does this mean that Sinnerman is Abel? Or just a random guy Cain knows. I know we've diverted pretty far from the comics at this point but Cain and Abel were pretty big characters in the Dreaming, and though the "Cain kills Abel when he's bored" running gag could continue over here, I doubt it.

Also, I would probably like them going the Cain route of Supernatural hadn't done it semi recently with Detective Lassiter as Cain.

Cain is sinnerman. "Sinnerman killed my brother" is sort of a self own

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not having read the standalone Lucifer title this is the furthest I think they've departed from the Lucifer of Sandman. The Cain and Able there had a much more... peculiar relationship.

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
I think Eyes McPluck was definitely human since he was a child in the photo that Lucifer made deductions from.

Also, Maze said so :allears:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. I assumed he was just someone Cain adopted for evil as a kid.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Man... those eyes he drew on Not Cinnamon's head bandage... hilarious, especially when he picked him up by the neck all menacing-like. It had that intentionally unintentional humor thing going. I loved it. Has anyone giffed it?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Does Disney own Lucifer now?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

Surely it’s the other way round

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

J33uk posted:

Surely it’s the other way round

:pusheen:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not having read the standalone Lucifer title this is the furthest I think they've departed from the Lucifer of Sandman. The Cain and Able there had a much more... peculiar relationship.

Yeah the character doesn't fit the relationship/character from Cain and Able in Sandman, but the way Cain has been so far in the show would actually fit in well with a lot of the way some of the other biblical characters act in the comic.
At first I thought the brother dying bit would just be him lying, and the reveal was that he'd be one of those other characters because of how they were playing him, actually.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

No, it isn't produced by Fox, they just air it.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Yea it's produced by Warners and sold to fox to air.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Best training montage ever.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This seems like another filler episode that wasn't needed. It was a real weak return for a mid-season premiere.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
This episode eventually grew on me, the fight scene was cool and holy poo poo the ending scene was glorious as always (this show does the last few minutes sooo good so consistently), but i hope there are a lot less of these "fit in anywhere" episodes to come.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wait, there’s new episodes??

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I liked this episode. I mean, they finally took the time to answer the questions "What was it like when Lucifer started his most recent sabbatical on Earth?", "How did Amenadiel initially (and unsuccessfully) try to convince him to go back to Hell?", and "What was The Detective like before she was a detective?"

I mean, yes, it's true that nobody had ever or was likely ever to ask those questions. So maybe this answer wasn't necessary. Or, at least, it didn't have to take up a full episode. Or, at least at least, it could have taken up most of an episode and just used a framing device set in the present that made a trip to the past make more sense or feel necessary.

So, it was the answer to questions nobody asked or cared about. But, all in all, it wasn't a terrible episode. Just unnecessary.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait, there’s new episodes??

Yeah, second half of the season started yesterday

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think this episode was well worth doing, but I don't think first episode back from midseason finale, after you left viewers on a big juicy plot twist/cliffhanger is the right time for it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dongattack posted:

This episode eventually grew on me, the fight scene was cool and holy poo poo the ending scene was glorious as always (this show does the last few minutes sooo good so consistently), but i hope there are a lot less of these "fit in anywhere" episodes to come.

This was the last of the four. It was an okay episode, but not on the level of the other three.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This reminded me of that terrible episode of Community where they all knew each other before they knew each other.

It wasn't as bad as that, just kind of unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It was nice in that it gave us more of an understanding of Lucifer's "no, gently caress you, Dad" attitude. He's trying to get God to do something, anything, basically daring God to show himself. But he doesn't, so Lucifer just keeps escalating.
Lucifer complains about doing what God wanted for eons and getting nothing for it. No respect, no thank you. He's been trying to please God for so long and he feels that he will never be worthy, so gently caress it and gently caress you.
He's literally rebelling like a spoiled teenager. It explains much of his seeming cognitive dissonance where his actions don't match his words. He's beginning to like, even love, humanity, but he's still trying to force himself to be the rear end in a top hat. He still wants God to interfere, but his heart isn't in it. He just hasn't realized it yet even though his therapist tells him over and over. Lucifer is willfully obtuse. I hope he gets over it, though, because it's gotten old.

I also like how he forced Amenadiel to realize that he was full of pride, the same "sin" that got Lucifer sent to manage Hell.

I did not like the Mazikeen implied rape, though. But it was Maze, so when she said the dude was crying tears of joy, maybe she just was just misreading human emotion. They never showed us how it looked afterwards. I can't imagine rough nonconsensual sex with a torture demon straight out of Hell would be pleasant. But, yeah, she raped that dude and that is not cool.
Also, disappointed she didn't show up with half her face gone until Lucifer suggested she cover that up.

Did anyone else think Lucifer's eye makeup was a little bit more pronounced than usual? It literally looked like he put on eyeliner (I won't call it guyliner).

• Locked thread