Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They're doing the holiday game thing again at https://fiholiday.withgoogle.com (a clone of I think it was called SkiFree?), but there's a bug preventing you from claiming the prize, whatever it may be. Says on Reddit they're working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They're doing the holiday game thing again at https://fiholiday.withgoogle.com (a clone of I think it was called SkiFree?), but there's a bug preventing you from claiming the prize, whatever it may be. Says on Reddit they're working on it.

I tried it about 15 minutes ago. Seemed to be working okay.
It's free in-flight WiFi

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So on Friday night, my Nexus 6P decided to eat a big old heaping bowl of Boot Loops. Come Saturday morning it had put itself into a permanent food coma. So I ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it had an estimated delivery date of Monday the 11th. They didn't even ship it until then and now it won't show up until Thursday. I called them up about it and there's nothing they're willing to do. Since that leaves me without a phone for far longer than anticipated, I'm considering getting a different phone and switching back to T-Mobile, and just returning the Pixel 2 after it arrives. I need a decent international plan, But I also need a working phone.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MonkeyFit posted:

So on Friday night, my Nexus 6P decided to eat a big old heaping bowl of Boot Loops. Come Saturday morning it had put itself into a permanent food coma. So I ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it had an estimated delivery date of Monday the 11th. They didn't even ship it until then and now it won't show up until Thursday. I called them up about it and there's nothing they're willing to do. Since that leaves me without a phone for far longer than anticipated, I'm considering getting a different phone and switching back to T-Mobile, and just returning the Pixel 2 after it arrives. I need a decent international plan, But I also need a working phone.

I mean, it's two more days. You're not really going to find a better international plan than Fi. It works out the box across country lines.

Just grab a burner for the next two days and enjoy your pixel when it shows up.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You can technically pop your Nexus SIM in any phone with T-Mobile support and use that until the new phone arrives.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So, happy ending to my 5X debacle. LG repaired it at no cost since my phone had no cosmetic damage. I just had to pay to ship it to them. I sent it to them on the 1st, and it's coming back to me today. I'm just glad I had a backup phone that happened to work on Fi.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

My Nexus 5x broke and I got burned by device protection program. I'm pretty pissed about it as the offered amount is not nearly enough to get a replacement device, so in what sense was I "protected" against loss of phone?

This is the second time that the device protection plan let me down. The first time, it took 2 weeks for them to send a replacement for my wife's phone, because they had some back-end bug related to group plans (the device protection was listed on my name but the phone on her name). Even the highest level of customer service rep was apparently unable to just grab a Nexus 5x, put it in the mail, and work out the details later - they were apparently completely bound by the back-end bug that wouldn't allow them to trigger the shipping out of a replacement phone, even though they wanted to.

tl;dr I am MAD ONLINE about Fi's device protection program and would not recommend it.

Update to this: They received my 5x and "accidentally" processed it as a full refund for the phone instead of a bullshit $59 check, which is pretty lucky for me. I'm wondering if they're quietly "accidentally" doing this for some of the more irate members of the group burned by the 5x protection plan thing, instead of officially changing policy about it. More likely it really was just a mistake idk.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer posted:

Yeah I'm 3 weeks deep into the x4 and I like it quite a lot.

They received my Nexus 5x for tradein 21 days ago, and still haven't billed me for the Moto x4?? I signed up for financing and haven't heard boo yet.

Still nothing. I hope I don't get some nasty letter from collections or something :shrug:

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody know what the process is for replacing a phone is? My phone was stolen and I'm waiting on a new one to replace it but I still have a payment plan open on the old one.

Edit: Support said they can't remove the old phone because it's on a payment plan, but moving the number over is easy and done when you provision the phone. :nexus:

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 13, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got my $115 for my refurbished 5x I traded towards a pixel 2. It took about a month, but at least I got what was promoted.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I got my $115 for my refurbished 5x I traded towards a pixel 2. It took about a month, but at least I got what was promoted.

They deducted fifty bucks off of mine, still haven't told me why. :argh:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Has anyone done a trade in on a device they still had a balance on for fi?
I traded in my OG pixel and upgraded to the 2. It looks like they received my pixel 1 and emailed saying as such to confirm the value. I'd like to apply the credit to the remaining balance on the financing for it in my fi account but I can't see anywhere that indicates I have the credit or not. Not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Don't they apply trade in and other credits after you've had your new phone past the return window (30 days)?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That might be it. I'll wait for that time frame to go by and see.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
You could also just contact them on chat and ask. I've found their response times to be very quick.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got my trade in money from the 5x, despite being fairly certain I sent it out late. Cool.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My 5X kicked the bucket this morning, so I'm X4 bound. It didn't even bootloop, I just got up to take a piss and it was entirely unresponsive when I got back-- won't power on, won't go into recovery mode, won't do anything at all, effectively a paperweight. Google's still giving me $110 for trade-in on it, somehow.

Is there any way to pull my data off this thing even though it's effectively a brick now?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Cabbit posted:

My 5X kicked the bucket this morning, so I'm X4 bound. It didn't even bootloop, I just got up to take a piss and it was entirely unresponsive when I got back-- won't power on, won't go into recovery mode, won't do anything at all, effectively a paperweight. Google's still giving me $110 for trade-in on it, somehow.

Is there any way to pull my data off this thing even though it's effectively a brick now?

Whoa, this happened to me yesterday too. Exact same thing.
My pixel 2 arrived today, I blagged them that I needed the phone for work and went through 2 chat people and they got to me in 18 hours.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
They have finally assessed my trade-in phone. $16. "Not factory reset" and "sent after the deadline". This is 100% bullshit. They've had the loving thing since October. What the gently caress are they trying to pull?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My trade-in balance is being applied to my whole statement. This is kinda annoying because I still have $270 left on my old Pixel that I traded in. I checked with support if they could apply the whole credit directly to my remaining balance on my old phone, but they can not do it. I know it all evens out in the end, but four months of no phone bill and then six months of almost double bills isn't an ideal payment situation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Looks like the moto x4 from Fi is finally getting Oreo.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Looks like the moto x4 from Fi is finally getting Oreo.

Yeah, I finally got the update yesterday, even though the initial roll out looks to have started on Dec 22nd.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm just getting it now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

How's the performance with Oreo on the X4? My 5X slowed down considerably after upgrading from Nougat, though I guess that could have possibly been related to its then-impending breakdown.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

How's the performance with Oreo on the X4? My 5X slowed down considerably after upgrading from Nougat, though I guess that could have possibly been related to its then-impending breakdown.

I'm not a heavy user, but it feels about the same as when it was on Nougat. Although, there is a definite improvement to battery life on Oreo where the battery life was already excellent on Nougat with the x4.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
RIP 6P.

Starting sometime last year, my phone was dying at 15% battery, but I made sure to keep it charged pretty constantly--it wasn't much of a hindrance. Dropped my girlfriend off at work this morning and my phone died at about 40% battery life. Totally unable to get to the home screen unless the battery is at least at 30%, in which case it lasts a few minutes and then shuts off. Just spent an hour with Fi support and they basically told me to take a flying gently caress talk to Huawei. Spent a while on hold with them only to be told to contact the place of purchase (Google). Now I can't tell whether I should be more frustrated with myself for not getting it fixed last year or mad at all the damned Android blogs that said "HEY THEY'RE GIVING AWAY PIXELS!!!!" and killed the only real chance I had of getting decent support.

I originally went with Fi because our phone bills dropped from ~$120/mo to $40/mo, but if we have to buy $650+ phones every 12-24 months, we're not actually saving any money. My girlfriend has a 5X and we all know it's just gonna start boot looping any day now. I hate to say it because I like that cheap bill and haven't ever really had issues with service, but if Google's support is unwilling to help (the dude just kept telling me to either trade in the 6P for credit towards a new phone or finance a new one :rolleyes: ) we're gonna have to dump em and go to T-Mobile.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bloodplay it again posted:

RIP 6P.

Starting sometime last year, my phone was dying at 15% battery, but I made sure to keep it charged pretty constantly--it wasn't much of a hindrance. Dropped my girlfriend off at work this morning and my phone died at about 40% battery life. Totally unable to get to the home screen unless the battery is at least at 30%, in which case it lasts a few minutes and then shuts off. Just spent an hour with Fi support and they basically told me to take a flying gently caress talk to Huawei. Spent a while on hold with them only to be told to contact the place of purchase (Google). Now I can't tell whether I should be more frustrated with myself for not getting it fixed last year or mad at all the damned Android blogs that said "HEY THEY'RE GIVING AWAY PIXELS!!!!" and killed the only real chance I had of getting decent support.

I originally went with Fi because our phone bills dropped from ~$120/mo to $40/mo, but if we have to buy $650+ phones every 12-24 months, we're not actually saving any money. My girlfriend has a 5X and we all know it's just gonna start boot looping any day now. I hate to say it because I like that cheap bill and haven't ever really had issues with service, but if Google's support is unwilling to help (the dude just kept telling me to either trade in the 6P for credit towards a new phone or finance a new one :rolleyes: ) we're gonna have to dump em and go to T-Mobile.

Would replacing the battery improve it or is it reading the voltage level in the lipo incorrectly?
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+6P+Teardown/51660

My Nexus 6 is starting to run out of juice when it thinks the battery is at 20% but it's just over two years old so I'm planning to replace the battery soon.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also if her 5x starts boot looping LG will fix it for free well outside of warranty, at least they did for me. Took them like a month of shipping a dead phone back and forth, so there is that however.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rexxed posted:

Would replacing the battery improve it or is it reading the voltage level in the lipo incorrectly?
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+6P+Teardown/51660

My Nexus 6 is starting to run out of juice when it thinks the battery is at 20% but it's just over two years old so I'm planning to replace the battery soon.

It might work, but I've been reading a lot of horror stories on Reddit about poo poo just not working right after replacing the battery. Plus, the right-side of my camera glass is cracked and I don't think I can pry it off without breaking it into a million pieces. :(

Thanks for the info about LG replacing the 5X out of warranty. Definitely makes me feel better. I've been dealing with Fi/Huawei support for right around 3 hours now and the only thing anyone is doing is trying to get me to send my 6P in for credit towards the Motorola phone or finance a Pixel 2. :( I've been using Nexus phones since the Galaxy Nexus and it bums me out I've had so many problems with this.

edit: 3.5 hours total spent today chatting with support. I straight up had to tell one of the support reps "please stop trying to sell me a new phone" while waiting to talk to a supervisor. I get that the phone is out of warranty and I'm disappointed with myself for not having contacted them last year when it first started happening. I had nothing but good things to say about Fi for the first year I had it, but I think it's time to move on, unless I can find a used Fi-compatible phone on the cheap.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 15, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thanks for the info about LG replacing the 5X out of warranty. Definitely makes me feel better.
YMMV, I got the runaround for two pairs of phone calls and then decided it wasn't worth it to bother continuing to escalate. Someone else who had an issue around the same time as me got theirs replaced no problem. Really seems down to individual human.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks for the info about LG replacing the 5X out of warranty.

Replaced with what? I had a months-long process that ended up with my unlocked bootlooping 5x I used on T-Mobile being replaced with an AT&T G5, and then stonewalled when I had the gall to complain about that.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

They just fixed my 5x, not sure how but, the phone is a little slower since they fixed it and has more storage so I think they swapped out some internals. But I just contacted them once and had no problem getting it fixed. They sent it back to me with only the LG base OS twice though which was rather annoying.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rakeris posted:

Also if her 5x starts boot looping LG will fix it for free well outside of warranty, at least they did for me. Took them like a month of shipping a dead phone back and forth, so there is that however.

Do you have a good process for this? My kid's 5X did the bootloop and they got a X4 for Xmas but if I can get the 5X fixed I'm sure I can figure out something to do with it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

All I did was use the support chat on LGs website and explained what was going on and they had me do some random stuff to try to fix it and then had me send it in. I also got them to pay for shipping, but had to press a bit for that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

just keep complaining, imo. don't spend hours arguing with the same person, either. if one CSR or manager is stonewalling you, take down the info from that session and try back another time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, they just added bill protection that caps the data bill at $60 and keeps you unthrottled below 15gb.

I'm currently on T-Mobile's $95 unlimited plan and usually use between 5-8gb a month of data. So, this seems like a no brainier right? If I'm happy with T-Mobile coverage, the addition of Sprint should be gravy right unless the carrier switching gets screwy?

I'm on a Pixel 2 XL, so no worries from a hardware perspective.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I installed this battery into my 6p and it's good as new. My phone would die between 30 and 15 percent and this battery fixed that. Only thing is it doesn't have a built-in temp sensor.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Looking at switching to Fi - how well do the data only sims work abroad?

Here's what I have in mind: My brother is a current Fi customer and the idea is to have him add a data only sim that I'd use on my Pixel 2. I use Google Voice + Hangouts integration (meaning calls/SMS via Hangouts - so mobile data/wifi) and I go abroad frequently. Plus I don't want to lose the Google Voice number.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So, they just added bill protection that caps the data bill at $60 and keeps you unthrottled below 15gb.

I'm currently on T-Mobile's $95 unlimited plan and usually use between 5-8gb a month of data. So, this seems like a no brainier right? If I'm happy with T-Mobile coverage, the addition of Sprint should be gravy right unless the carrier switching gets screwy?

I'm on a Pixel 2 XL, so no worries from a hardware perspective.

You'd be looking at a $80 a month plan for 6+ gb on Fi.

The thing to consider with T-Mobile - make sure you're considering all of your data usage. Things like video and music streaming didn't get listed in your data usage on T-Mobile, not sure if that's still the case. Other perks T-Mobile used to have were things like free MLBTv or Free in-flight texting. Not sure if you use any of those, but you get no perks with Fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Being billed per GB has, for better or worse, caused me to actually bother paying attention to my usage and using wifi when I otherwise wouldn't have bothered. 8 GB in a month seems really high for non-wifi data, I'm impressed.