Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

MrLonghair posted:

Wind Charm and Origin Set are the pre-order bonuses for physical ("day one") and PSN, PSN has a Digital Deluxe pack for $10 more featuring

So the digital deluxe is indeed digital only? That kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pierson posted:

Monster Hunter is kind of like Splatoon for me. I get them digital so I don't need to gently caress around with discs or carts and it's always right there in my system.

I once spent a day looking for my 3ds cart of MHX and wouldn't you know I downloaded it digitally specifically so I never needed to do that, and forgot. :cripes:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So the digital deluxe is indeed digital only? That kind of sucks.

Yep

quote:

Note: The downloadable content in the Digital Deluxe Edition will be available as a separate paid content called the Deluxe Kit, on January 26, 2018.
However, the 'Special Avatars' in the Digital Deluxe Edition will not be included in the Deluxe Kit. The Origins set armor and Fair Wind Charm may be offered separately at a later date.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Like an addict drinking bongwater, I went back to MHgen and I just couldn't get on with it :smith:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

lets hang out posted:

Have they said if there's transmog like in xx

Transmog is in

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Say, dudes. I'm trying to keep up but this thread is moving ridiculously fast.

My girlfriend recently got me to play through Monster Hunter Stories, which was wonderful. I know that it's a dramatic departure from the regular games, but there are elements of this game that also exist in regular Monster Hunter and I think I would like to try those. So Monster Hunter World is coming soon and I played the beta and thought it was okay, but I need some advice.

First: I generally play solo. I work a graveyard shift, which means (at least in the case of the last several multiplayer-focused games I tried) getting into a decent game when I am awake kind of sucks. Can this game even be played solo? Edit to add: I know it can be played solo, but what I mean is...is it going to be like hitting a wall of difficulty after the tutorial section?

I generally don't like multiplayer games. I heard on a podcast someone say something like, "Just jump into Monster Hunter, someone will quickly skip you through the first forty hours by giving you good equipment," or something like that. That's generally why I don't play; I LIKE the early grind. I like the first forty hours usually a lot more than the next forty hours.

I guess I worry that if I play this game, I'm going to just be playing catchup during lovely hours while the rest of the world is having a race to the endgame.

I had basically this exact same attitude when I played my first MonHun, and I had tons of fun playing solo and then when I finally jumped into MP non of my fears were founded. It's like you can play as much solo as you want, but MP is where you get to show off you skills and help other people. It's a different experience and totally worth doing also. Also the goon MH community is really chill and cool.

Also you don't need to worry too much about finding level appropriate people to do quests in MP if you're "behind" because there are always going to be people who are backtracking to get into a new weapon. Like they might have end-game longsword gear, but they just started playing with a bow and they want to practice and get mats for the next bow they need at the same time.

At least that was my experience.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FisheyStix posted:

Transmog is in

:bisonyes:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So I have some questions about items--the demo gave you some poison and paralysis knives but I could never find a way to get them to throw. Hitting square just 'equipped' them, so I tried firing the slinger but that didn't seem to use them up. I'm not sure how to actually toss one. It's not like knives were ever a big element before but hey, they gave them to me.

Also has anyone managed a capture yet? (the thread had like seven hundred posts, I skimmed)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

occamsnailfile posted:

Also has anyone managed a capture yet? (the thread had like seven hundred posts, I skimmed)

There was a vid posted a few days back of someone crafting tranq bombs and trapping successfully, so it appears to work the same way as previous games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I never found any sleep herbs, but some people obviously did.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Watched my husband play the MHW beta last night and beat three monsters all on the first try, including Barroth. It was his first time playing a MH game. I'm so proud

e: he used gunlance too, the best weapon

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 12, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

occamsnailfile posted:

So I have some questions about items--the demo gave you some poison and paralysis knives but I could never find a way to get them to throw. Hitting square just 'equipped' them, so I tried firing the slinger but that didn't seem to use them up. I'm not sure how to actually toss one. It's not like knives were ever a big element before but hey, they gave them to me.

You just load them with square and then shoot them like anything else from the slinger so I don't know what you were doing

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Yep. At least in Wildspire Wastes, you could grab sleep herbs and parashrooms to make tranq bombs (no bomb casing required). You can use those with the provided shock trap to capture things. That's how my group of newbies managed to down Diablos.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is also a pitfall trap in the tent item box.

Well, was, I guess.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FisheyStix posted:

Transmog is in

Source? All I heard from arrekz videos was that you could look like you were wearing other armor but only for things like the preorder armor not everything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Whats transmog?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's where you make armor look like some other armor for cosmetic reasons.

Like you can wear Made-up-drake armor because it's best for your build, but transmogrify it to look like Fictional-bird armor, because that looks cooler.

If you play Nioh, it's the same as Refashioning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Or if you play FFXIV, a glamour.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

A Spider Covets posted:

e: he used gunlance too, the best weapon

You picked a winner. Can't wait to main gunlance again after the heat gauge fiasco.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats transmog?

Somebody didn't grow up on Calvin & Hobbes :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Somebody didn't grow up on Calvin & Hobbes :colbert:

Only reason I know that word.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I have a physical copy of MHW ordered on Amazon, but is there any reason to do that when I can just download it from the PSN on release? I have a 1gbps connection, so the download will be quick.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Umbreon posted:

I have a physical copy of MHW ordered on Amazon, but is there any reason to do that when I can just download it from the PSN on release? I have a 1gbps connection, so the download will be quick.

Having a physical copy is the only reason to buy it physical instead. Do you have internet speed and disk space? Then don't bother.

Transmog also is Transmog in World of Warcraft, and a more obscure touch point, Tap Titans 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Umbreon posted:

This is probs what I'm doing but don't expect a fast download from PSN just because your internet is fast. PSN downloads can be painful.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah PSN download speeds are notoriously slow. But you will be able to download the game a day or two before release, so it will be ready to go come midnight if you wanted to play asap.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah PSN download speeds are notoriously slow. But you will be able to download the game a day or two before release, so it will be ready to go come midnight if you wanted to play asap.

Oh we can preload it too? That's a done deal for me then, thanks for letting me know

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like playing new releases at midnight until I fall/have to sleep with new releases, a bunch.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Oh we can preload it too? That's a done deal for me then, thanks for letting me know

Well you could preload the beta so I assume we can do the same for the final game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I preordered Okami HD digital and it installed onto my console on Sunday. I think it's universal.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
You guys I miss the beta

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

FisheyStix posted:

Transmog is in

As far as we know, transmog is NOT in. There are special cosmetic-only armors that are worn in cosmetic-only slots, such as the samurai armor, but you cannot put other types of armor in the cosmetic slots.

It's possible of course that transmog is still in and this is a separate system, but that seems unlikely, since if that were the case the cosmetic sets would just be blank armors you used to transmog other sets into.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

empathe posted:

You guys I miss the beta

I barely got any time to play it over the weekend and it wasn't nearly enough. Wanna GS cartwheel more dinos.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

It's where you make armor look like some other armor for cosmetic reasons.

Like you can wear Made-up-drake armor because it's best for your build, but transmogrify it to look like Fictional-bird armor, because that looks cooler.

If you play Nioh, it's the same as Refashioning.

That's awesome. I did play Nioh and now I'm super excited for fashionhunts

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I didn't get to play the beta, did it manage to give an overall good impression?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zerilan posted:

I didn't get to play the beta, did it manage to give an overall good impression?

Yes, as a demo of combat and world features, especially considering the demo locked at 20 minutes.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Zerilan posted:

It was great. Day one purch

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It was amazing in all forms basically.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone else try the grimalkynes in the demo? There's a group right outside the middle camp in the wildspire wastes so I grabbed one for a couple hunts since the demo starts with them already friendly. I didn't really pay attention to what he was doing but I did notice that the grimalkyne has a different paddle boat on water than the felyne :3:

Zerilan posted:

I think the demo represented the game badly for new players who don't have any context or know which parts of the demo are and aren't representative of the actual game, but it made vets very excited--if you like monster hunter it pretty much confirmed you'll like world

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Did anybody try Remote Play on their Vita? I kept meaning to give it a shot but never got around to doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The only thing I didn't like about the demo was the color saturation - I hope there's an option to turn that up at launch.

Otherwise it was basically perfect.