Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nothing is ever too tacky.

Not even sticky tack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

BuffaloChicken, I used your black eyes white iris formula on my Aberrants and the effect loving rocks. I might have to go back and do it on all my Cult infantry now :gonk:

Let's see em m8

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The correct answer is always 'post pictures of toys'

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

panascope posted:

I’ll keep this in mind. Me winning less will be good for the meta. Hi Hixson and Stanyer.

Yeah, but Combi-Vets half the time til winning for each one you have in a list. At some point the time is so small between scheduled wins that you enter a constant winning state (so logical Stanyer and Hixson ends enter a state of constant losing, sorry boys).

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Moose is good. Excellent conversion.

I like the squat dude but I think maybe he reads more as a Techmarine than an Apoth? Might just be me.

Yeah, the red armor and hazard stripes say techmarine to me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Anyone in the market for Primaris marines? Thinking £40 for 20 Intercessors, 10 Hellblasters, an Ancient and a Captain. All DI.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

Anyone in the market for Primaris marines? Thinking £40 for 20 Intercessors, 10 Hellblasters, an Ancient and a Captain. All DI.

Assembled or on sprue?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

Assembled or on sprue?

I don't currently own them - planning to buy and immediately resell because I want the Inceptors dude is offering but not the rest.

E: the LTs are in there as well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Star Man posted:

In this game of grimdark tackiness and tastelessness, would an Iyanden eldar with its armor painted gold instead of yellow be tacky?

They're Eldar, fabulousness is a feature not a bug.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Everyone rip off Naramyth's list until we get the loving thing banned, thx

:getin:

So I'm moving in with MY GIRLFRIEND and found another fully painted stormraven. Apparently I have four of them.

Also I dropped my dreadnaught droppod. It did not survive reentry. :(

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Nice! I readily admit that many of my Catachan have slapshod eyes that look glowier than they should, as you can see with Ripley in that photo, but it's far less pronounced when you're actually playing with them on the tabletop. Plus with Genestealer Cult that alien glowy look is a feature, not a bug.

Hope your Cult has been doing well on the tabletop - I'm still finding my feet with the changes to the army in 8th. Hoping that finally making the transition to using points instead of power introduces the granularity needed to make some options more viable.

:v:

What I've found is that using Tyranids as a backup works only as an attache force rather than a solid 1/2 split--Cult with Carnifexes led by OOE, Cult with a gorillion mini-gribblies tying things up or taking objectives. Running a solid main detachment of one or the other goes much better than trying to mix synergies. As completely rad as Mass Hypnosis and other Cult psychic powers are, it's a hard sell against such cheaper Tyranid 'Stealers. I'm seriously considering just maining Nids with a Magus/Primus force of some shooty GEQs to hold objectives and a couple Acolyte groups with saws to eat heavy armor--especially given saws just dropped to 14 points.

muggins posted:

Let's see em m8

"Hiding the 'Innsmouth Look' became much more difficult once Grandpa grew a third eye."

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nothing is ever too tacky for Eldar.

FTFY, knife-ears. :smug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is archaeology a thing that the Tau T'au Earth Caste might do on a newly colonized/former imperial world?

I'm trying to fluff-justify "XBOX HUEG Imperial Gothic* cathedral in the middle of Tau** city" and that's what I've come up with so far.

*: Baroquco
**: "Made for Infinity" scenery

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 12, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

I don't currently own them - planning to buy and immediately resell because I want the Inceptors dude is offering but not the rest.

E: the LTs are in there as well.

Eh, I'm good, thanks though and good luck with your sale!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

FTFY, knife-ears. :smug:

Eldar supremacy, mon keigh scum.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Schadenboner posted:

Is archaeology a thing that the Tau T'au Earth Caste might do on a newly colonized/former imperial world?

I'm trying to fluff-justify "XBOX HUEG Imperial Gothic* cathedral in the middle of Tau** city" and that's what I've come up with so far.

*: Baroquco
**: "Made for Infinity" scenery

They'd be pragmatic enough to use it until they needed the space/had the resources to replace it, I imagine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They'd be pragmatic enough to use it until they needed the space/had the resources to replace it, I imagine.

Or it was a former Imperial world (think Jericho Reach) where the Taus came in and colonized the humans, Earth Caste discovers a long-disused/buried cathedral that happens to include the remains of an Imperial saint and then OH poo poo HERE COMES THE IMPERIALS (my doods) and OH poo poo THE SAINT HAS RISEN (Celestine counts-as).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Was really happy and settled on my tyranid colour scheme of Zandri Dust shaded with Agrax flesh and Xereus Purple shaded with Druchii Violet carapace...until I realized that's literally just Leviathan.

:negative:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Or it was a former Imperial world (think Jericho Reach) where the Taus came in and colonized the humans, Earth Caste discovers a long-disused/buried cathedral that happens to include the remains of an Imperial saint and then OH poo poo HERE COMES THE IMPERIALS (my doods) and OH poo poo THE SAINT HAS RISEN (Celestine counts-as).

I mean, unless you put in a hell of a lot of modelling effort to tell that story in your terrrain, I think it’s more important to focus on visual coherency. Bearing in mind that no one else seeing it will have the same focus on your reasoning or backstory, will it look good, or too out of place?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Genghis Cohen posted:

I mean, unless you put in a hell of a lot of modelling effort to tell that story in your terrrain, I think it’s more important to focus on visual coherency. Bearing in mind that no one else seeing it will have the same focus on your reasoning or backstory, will it look good, or too out of place?

Well, this would be for my home table so it would be a semi-narrative campaign with a Tau player friend of mine.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

When I eventually have space I'm making a bunch of themed boards. Current plans:

1) Polar Mechanicus station. Ties in with the snow bases on my AdMech.
2) Wrecked tank battlefield. Death Guard/Crimson Fists with some scattered other bits in there too. I have a whole box of Rhinos, Preds etc for this and a couple of Landies.
3) Lunar mining base. Gonna be Daemon-infested so some weird poo poo in with industrial equipment, etc.
4) Jungle board with a concealed Webway gate.

I'm thinking next year I might do a matched pair of armies, like Deathwatch/Tyranids, and theme a board around them too.

Just need time, money and way more skill and we're away!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've always wanted to do an elevated oil rig board. There's an ocean fat mat that's perfect for it but that's a lot of work.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Corrode posted:

When I eventually have space I'm making a bunch of themed boards. Current plans:

1) Polar Mechanicus station. Ties in with the snow bases on my AdMech.
2) Wrecked tank battlefield. Death Guard/Crimson Fists with some scattered other bits in there too. I have a whole box of Rhinos, Preds etc for this and a couple of Landies.
3) Lunar mining base. Gonna be Daemon-infested so some weird poo poo in with industrial equipment, etc.
4) Jungle board with a concealed Webway gate.

I'm thinking next year I might do a matched pair of armies, like Deathwatch/Tyranids, and theme a board around them too.

Just need time, money and way more skill and we're away!

If you do work on boards I would love to see WIP shots. I've been thinking about making some terrain but have no idea where to start.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've always wanted to do an elevated oil rig board. There's an ocean fat mat that's perfect for it but that's a lot of work.

TTCombat has some new Industrial Hive MDF terrain that's reasonably affordable for setting up a big platform assembly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booyah- posted:

If you do work on boards I would love to see WIP shots. I've been thinking about making some terrain but have no idea where to start.

This:

Became this:

Bonus Death Guard Rhino:

When I do more I'm going to do a bit more with it, those are pretty low-effort. I'm definitely not the expert though, the terrain thread on here is full of people making way more creative stuff than my "glue tank to base, paint tank" method.

There's also a good Dakka blog in their P&M section, look for "DISTRICT TERRA BLOG" by omgitsduane, he (or his group, I can never tell if there's multiple of them) knock out some great stuff.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 12, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Well, this would be for my home table so it would be a semi-narrative campaign with a Tau player friend of mine.

Oh, I should emphasize that this is all purely hypothetical, I live in a drat apartment I don't have space for a proper painting station much less a 6x4. Also the Tau player just lost his job. :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

Oh, I should emphasize that this is all purely hypothetical, I live in a drat apartment I don't have space for a proper painting station much less a 6x4. Also the Tau player just lost his job. :(

I feel you. When I burned out on the hobby I lived in a big, rented house with a spacious garage with tons of room for terrain projects. I quit for basically the whole time I lived there, and now that I'm in a tiny terraced house with barely enough room to paint, I'm back at it and want to get on all these projects which require more space than I have available. I should post a picture of my painting area sometime, it's hilariously cramped.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Instead of working on final school projects for the semester I've been loving off with these fellas :haw:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

There's also a good Dakka blog in their P&M section, look for "DISTRICT TERRA BLOG" by omgitsduane, he (or his group, I can never tell if there's multiple of them) knock out some great stuff.

That blog is also on B&C, which is a slightly less terribly designed forum. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/328611-district-terra-wip/

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Instead of working on final school projects for the semester I've been loving off with these fellas :haw:

Those look sweet, now stop loving about with your toy soldiers and study.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Was really happy and settled on my tyranid colour scheme of Zandri Dust shaded with Agrax flesh and Xereus Purple shaded with Druchii Violet carapace...until I realized that's literally just Leviathan.

:negative:

The Kraken and Leviathan schemes are easy to paint so they look cool as heck. White body tinted with one of the brownish Citadel washes, then paint the catapace some eye-catching color. It's low effort and looks great, but it looks like everyone else's Tyranids. :(

I started using a color primer to paint my bugs purple, with a black carapace, and some blue highlights, like they prefer to do their thing at night or something. I'm not sure if I need to base coat over the primer though? It looks good as is, and I'm going to finish it with a varnish. Is the correct thing to do (if I don't want to drive myself crazy basecoating every little spiky bit and crevice of these big monsters) to spray a primer on, then spraypaint it with one of those Citadel sprays, and then accent it with layer paint, dry brushing, and washes?

Meanwhile I played my first two games last night! 522 points (Trygon with adrenal glands, 16 Genestealers, and a Broodlord, Hive Fleet Kraken). It was a lot of fun! I got the phases down right away from all my Magic experience, but there's a lot of die rolling steps I don't think I have completely down yet - mostly the various types of saves. I first tried in 4th Edition, and I love that there's no crazy chart to hit or wound anymore.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Boon posted:

Those look awesome. Do people generally paint their aspect warriors in their Craftworld colors or go with the traditional colors for the aspect?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got around to taking some pictures of this dude, finished painting him a couple weeks back:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Boon posted:

So when do my bugs get to eat them?

Also, been chatting with Naramyths roommate and in response to the eversor list, we've put together lists with 15 neurothropes. His has maleceptors, mine has more biovores. Smiting all day long.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Master Twig posted:

Also, been chatting with Naramyths roommate and in response to the eversor list, we've put together lists with 15 neurothropes. His has maleceptors, mine has more biovores. Smiting all day long.

I think he had a Culexus or two in there as well.

On which note - do Culexus debuffs stack?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

Finally got around to taking some pictures of this dude, finished painting him a couple weeks back:

Oh hey, it's a Squat Apothecary!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Schadenboner posted:

Oh hey, it's a Squat Apothecary!

Next time Buffalo Chicken and I play we'll make them kiss

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Master Twig posted:

Thinking I'm going to do a tournament Sunday! Though I'll have a shameful army with unbased and bare bones models (want to do tourney because I haven't played a game of 8th yet but want to do Adepticon and haven't quite finished my army revamp)

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Those look awesome. Do people generally paint their aspect warriors in their Craftworld colors or go with the traditional colors for the aspect?

Thanks! I used to tie all my aspects into Biel-Tan with a green accent somewhere, but I've since ceased doing that because it became extremely limiting on color choice.

Artum posted:

Those look sweet, now stop loving about with your toy soldiers and study.

Thanks! And yeah, back to the mines ;)

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 12, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

Next time Buffalo Chicken and I play we'll make them kiss

:circlefap:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

nice thinyourpaints.jpg (and loving awesome work converting that to terrain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
2200pts of Dark Eldar assembled(And will maybe one day be painted.) later and I'm trying to decide what to work on next, since the stuff I want is never in stock anywhere. I'll probably go back to working on my necrons. What's the general consensus on ghost arks? Better off assembled as the other thing since warriors seem best in 20 dude blobs?