Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wonder if this is a prelude to them canceling the physical game so that they can make the digital version the v2?

Edit: Please port Arkham Horror thanks

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

GrandpaPants posted:

Wonder if this is a prelude to them canceling the physical game so that they can make the digital version the v2?

quote:

The physical game will continue to exist alongside the new digital game, offering fans multiple formats to enjoy and more ways to interact with the universe and the game, no matter where you are.

FWIW

e: Also a new deluxe expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/8/the-wilds-of-rhovanion/

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GrandpaPants posted:

They've just announced a new expansion and it's not Mordor so they've clearly got at least two more years of material

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do we have a thread for L5R discussion?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

PJOmega posted:

Do we have a thread for L5R discussion?

Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3836660

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The app won't be faithful unless it freezes for 10 minutes trying to figure out the rules for Stand Together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Steam page already mentions a piecemeal DLC system. It's going to cost a lot to play the entire game. The physical edition is over $1,000 worth of product at this point, and I fully expect them to cash in just as heavily digitally.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

The Steam page already mentions a piecemeal DLC system. It's going to cost a lot to play the entire game. The physical edition is over $1,000 worth of product at this point, and I fully expect them to cash in just as heavily digitally.

Probably won't be as easy to make fake proxies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

They've just announced a new expansion and it's not Mordor so they've clearly got at least two more years of material

Given that they're the best part of a year behind release schedule, and the quest names seem to be plays on the quests names from the starter box (Journey 'up' the Anduin instead of down), I wouldn't hold out much hope for more after this.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

sassassin posted:

Given that they're the best part of a year behind release schedule, and the quest names seem to be plays on the quests names from the starter box (Journey 'up' the Anduin instead of down), I wouldn't hold out much hope for more after this.

Now, now, don't get too disheartened. There's a couple video games and a new TV series they can start tapping for more content.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Now that Christopher Tolkein has given up hold of the property rights they can license the Silmarillion :getin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just realized what makes Arkham so much better for me than LotR: each player is one character instead of three. I get why it works for LotR (with the focus of the stories being the adventuring parties and all), but it feels so much better to have your deck customize and flesh out a single hero for me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I would play the poo poo out of LOTRStone :dance:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PaybackJack posted:

Now, now, don't get too disheartened. There's a couple video games and a new TV series they can start tapping for more content.

Their problem isn't a lack of content to pull from. They've moved on from this system with other games, it's had a good run and has felt complete for quite a while (especially since the saga wound up).

Lots of people were predicting a v2.0 revamp, and that's essentially what the digital version looks like being.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

sassassin posted:

Their problem isn't a lack of content to pull from. They've moved on from this system with other games, it's had a good run and has felt complete for quite a while (especially since the saga wound up).

Lots of people were predicting a v2.0 revamp, and that's essentially what the digital version looks like being.

As someone who's been slowly working their way through the LCG playing solo, I'm intrigued, but I sure hope they don't expect us to buy back digital ports of all the original expansions at the same cost.

Did they even reveal if they're planning on porting most cards? It seems like the changes to the game are drastic enough that a lot of cards will need to be completely rewritten.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Looks like they're breaking up the expansion packs into quests and player cards, and you'll purchase what you want in a piecemeal system.

quote:

They will not sell digital APs/Deluxe Boxes.
Instead you can buy hero bundles (bunch of cards around a certain theme) or just single cards. You'll also have to buy the quests and it seems like there might be card backs and other visual stuff for sale.
It's either real money or some ingame currency called Valor that you can earn by completing quests.
Plus there's single-use powerful cards (called Favor) that have to be bought with real money.

So you might be able to buy player cards with in game currency but there's almost zero chance the quests will be available for free.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fine with me. Rather play with this than OCTGN

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Kind of not keen on "powerful one-use cards bought with real money" though, pay-to-win sucks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Player cards bundled by theme is at least better than the normal system where I ended up buying half a dozen quests I'm still not sure I've played just to get my Noldor decks humming.

I'm glad the art got bad enough that I didn't feel guilty proxying new releases when one card in a pack looked useful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man they sure went out of their way to make the in-game UI look exactly like Hearthstone.

(Excited for this since I missed out on the original game and there's way too much poo poo to buy to jump in now).

stev fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 11, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any idea on how the mechanical changes work? Because I would happily play a good conversion, but I'm a big baby afraid of change :ohdear:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I love playing with the physical cards, but realistically I would get a lot more games in if I could just play digitally without all the setup and cleanup. I'm excited but I'll wait to see how expensive it will be to put together a reasonably fun and diverse collection of player cards and a decent amount of replayable quests.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Want to see if they recreate the act of buying multiple cores faithfully.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm interested but looks like it's windows only and I just have a mac laptop. Will continue playing the physical card game though, excited for the new core. This Brand actually seems really good, unlike the last one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s also coming to Android and iOS so you don’t have to have windows

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s also coming to Android and iOS so you don’t have to have windows
Oh looking at the end of that youtube video it says both that and mac as well, so I should be fine. Thanks!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sassassin posted:

I'm glad the art got bad enough that I didn't feel guilty proxying new releases when one card in a pack looked useful.

I had to look this up, and man, some of the art on the recent releases look like they could be original Dominion card art :gonk:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

canyoneer posted:

I had to look this up, and man, some of the art on the recent releases look like they could be original Dominion card art :gonk:

So it was fantastic?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
We'll get to see how this is going to go down tomorrow at 1 PM CST:

https://twitter.com/ffi_games/status/940313534679875586

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's a surprise, I'd heard they were ending the game with The Sands of Harad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jedit posted:

That's a surprise, I'd heard they were ending the game with The Sands of Harad.

I think it's probably going to keep rolling as long as people keep buying it.

Shadow of Mordor/War games are proof that you can just run roughshod over the established/canonical lore as long as you're telling an interesting story and most fans will still respond positively to your loosely based on the Lord of the Rings entertainment product.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

canyoneer posted:

I think it's probably going to keep rolling as long as people keep buying it.

Shadow of Mordor/War games are proof that you can just run roughshod over the established/canonical lore as long as you're telling an interesting story and most fans will still respond positively to your loosely based on the Lord of the Rings entertainment product.

I clapped! I clapped when I saw Sauron!

I like most of the non-canon schlock :ohdear:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Did anyone watch the stream? I’m at work so I didn’t get to see it yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Foehammer posted:

I clapped! I clapped when I saw Sauron!

I like most of the non-canon schlock :ohdear:

Me too. I loved those games and I don't care that the timeline is wonky or that it conflicts with some established lore in the tens of thousands of pages Tolkien wrote.

Caragors are cool.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, I saw that CSI is having a sale on the Netrunner core set. Is that good enough to get by itself as someone totally new to the game, or are there some "must-buy" expansions I should look for along side it? I also asked this in the Netrunner thread, I'm just not sure where is more likely to get an answer.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Unless it's the new 2.0 Core or whatever the hell they're calling it, I would wait until that comes out. A lot of the cards in the original core I don't think are gonna be playable anymore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah they're releasing a revised core in January. Don't buy the old one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

I don't care that the timeline is wonky or that it conflicts with some established lore in the tens of thousands of pages Tolkien wrote.

That is an extremely generous interpretation of how they use the source material, even relative to their own admission. It's okay to like it, but the people that don't aren't nitpicking over the odd obscure detail.

It's also a very generous approximation of how much Tolkien wrote that made it to publication (which would be considered "established lore" and not just "random thoughts and ideas"), even if you include Christopher's work cobbling together stories from scraps of his notes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgVB3qsySQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

When will sexy Shelob get a card???

Also did they release any details about the availability/pricing in the presentation yesterday?