Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dietrich posted:

If yall motherfuckers want some good microbrews get your asses to Cincinnati.

Lots of places have good beers and also have the benefit of not being Cincinnati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Koalas March posted:

It is about race though. Black women's accomplishments are pushed aside, overshadowed or straight up ignored in favor of white women.

And you saying "hey don't make it about race" when I'm telling you that this is a pattern that happens all the time is actually contributing the problem because you're telling a black feminist what actually is or isn't a black feminist issue.

Regardless, I don't think he meant to overlook the accomplishments of the black woman on purpose.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not close to this situation and really haven't even been following it because celebrities bore me generally, but is it possible that maybe Weinstein's wife was a victim in all this too and might deserve a bit of sympathy as well?

This is one I see from both sides. McGowan believes his wife knew and supported him, Milano believes she was either in heavy denial or didn't know at all. It's hosed up either way and shows how much harm his actions have done to everyone.

I like how Barry's just gonna let her. He coulda stopped her, it's not like he wasn't quick enough.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
why is voting in USA so weird?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm more likely to believe that some R voters in Alabama will sit this election out but I have a really hard time thinking they will straight up leave the Republican party.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Your Taint posted:

Regardless, I don't think he meant to overlook the accomplishments of the black woman on purpose.

bruh you are not the one that should be diving in to help on these topics right now lol

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

pepito sanchez posted:

Because we don't want the wrong people (minorities and poors) to vote.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

pepito sanchez posted:

Federalism! :911:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

I've seen you post before Petr, I'm not dumb enough to think you're just asking questions.

Are you implying that I "just ask questions" about things that phrase is usually applied to, like racism or sexual assault? Because I can't think of any other reason you'd use that wording, and it's false.

I asked you politely if there was something specific you were basing your post on. You didn't have to go bugfuck over it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not close to this situation and really haven't even been following it because celebrities bore me generally, but is it possible that maybe Weinstein's wife was a victim in all this too and might deserve a bit of sympathy as well?

That was my original assumption, but unfortunately from what I've heard industry chatter says she was complicit and never cared about how he treated other women as long as he made money.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

pepito sanchez posted:

Racism, mostly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Please tell me that was hotly debated and the "Michiganian" side harbors grudges to this day. I guess what I really want is to make a doc someday that uses a lot of blood-soaked mitten imagery.

Not really, the term is pretty common. I guess there was some debate between the UP folk (youpers) and mitten folk (trolls) but that's mostly just friendly.

The important thing is we all hate ohio so maybe you can make a doc about our war with them a while back

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

pepito sanchez posted:

Because initially it was just for white men who owned land.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah you're right it's not like rose mcgowan is guilty of tweeting some terrible white lady poo poo, lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pepito sanchez posted:

Because we let every state do it their own way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

pepito sanchez posted:

A combination of archaic rules and deliberate voter suppression over the years by the GOP.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

pepito sanchez posted:

Because Republicans know they wouldn't stand a chance if the electorate was actually represented.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mango sentinel posted:

African Alabamans is... an eyebrow raising phrase to use but yes. Multiple reports of hostile polling officers, lying robocalls directing people to the wrong polling place, the "inactive voter" bullshit all over this page.

none of those are strictly speaking people being turned away from the polls :fishmech:

the inactive voter bullshit is "well cast a provisional ballot and spend your time and gas appealing or whatever"

also in your voter suppression list you missed police officers hanging out outside polling places' Magic Circle checking for outstanding warrants

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pepito sanchez posted:

Remember when the only people that could vote were land-owning whites? Also "tradition" or whatever horseshit they trot out.

There's absolutely no reason why Vote Day isn't a federal holiday / happens on a Saturday but we keep doing stupid.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

pepito sanchez posted:

States rights and a party that is totally cool with disenfranchising people that don't vote for them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Koalas March posted:

That was my original assumption, but unfortunately from what I've heard industry chatter says she was complicit and never cared about how he treated other women as long as he made money.

I'm not sure that "industry chatter" is fair to declare as more authoritative on the situation than a friend who knew her personally.

I don't think it would be fair to declare Milano perfectly in the right or in the wrong based on what we know, seems like Schrodinger's Milkshake duck, to me

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

WoodrowSkillson posted:

bruh you are not the one that should be diving in to help on these topics right now lol

Yeah I don't care what you think.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Microbrews? Try Minneapolis. Can't throw a rock out of a moving car without hitting 3 of 'em. 90% are awesome, too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

none of those are strictly speaking people being turned away from the polls :fishmech:

the inactive voter bullshit is "well cast a provisional ballot and spend your time and gas appealing or whatever"

also in your voter suppression you missed police officers hanging out outside polling places' Magic Circle checking for outstanding warrants

provisional ballots generally aren't counted unless [long list of poo poo that never happens]

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Your Taint posted:

suck my dick lol

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Your Taint posted:

Dear god, what is with you today? Just back off for a while

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not sure that "industry chatter" is fair to declare as more authoritative on the situation than a friend who knew her personally.

I don't think it would be fair to declare Milano perfectly in the right or in the wrong based on what we know, seems like Schrodinger's Milkshake duck, to me

Industry chatter knew about Weinstein, Spacey and Synger long before the general public. Believe it or not everyone in the entertainment bubble is well connected and gossip is a commodity for us. People know things and they talk. Trust me on this.

Edit: I'm gonna add that earlier this year I was filming a reality show pilot in Los Angeles and San Clemente and got an offer from someone who was trying to connect me with Weinstein's office. The other person I was working with warned against that.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 12, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/splcenter/status/940687742232604674

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

seems like Schrodinger's Milkshake duck, to me

All human beings are horrible

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not really, the term is pretty common. I guess there was some debate between the UP folk (youpers) and mitten folk (trolls) but that's mostly just friendly.

The important thing is we all hate ohio so maybe you can make a doc about our war with them a while back

Yeah which, by the way: Indiana's like right there, you guys. Can't you team up for a good cause?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

provisional ballots generally aren't counted unless [long list of poo poo that never happens]

Which mostly matters for morale reasons (ie official margin of victory or defeat).

but putting another hurdle or two in front of voters isn't a good thing

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Taint posted:

Everybody's gonna keep dunking on you until you either leave or stop being such a godawful piece of poo poo. Your choice.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

scuz posted:

Microbrews? Try Minneapolis. Can't throw a rock out of a moving car without hitting 3 of 'em. 90% are awesome, too.

That is everywhere these days.

Gonna be funny when the Microbrew bubble collapses and takes the beard wax market with it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Koalas March posted:

Which is undoubtedly a thing that happens. On the other hand blaming the wife for a mans sexual misdeeds is also a thing that happens. Or hell anyone proximate to a crime for their complicity. You’re a better judge of the chatter you have acess to but I’m not sure from this remove why we should believe anything on the base of unsourced rumor.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pepito sanchez posted:

The founder of ALEC, a right wing group designed to squash representation and voting power through a common legislative blueprint, explicitly does not believe in everyone having the right to vote.

Apply this viewpoint to every arcane and seemingly nonsensical law related to voting.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah which, by the way: Indiana's like right there, you guys. Can't you team up for a good cause?

i have been to Indiana and I can confirm that it sucks

i ate at the worst pizza place i've ever been to

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pepito sanchez posted:

same reason a lot of stuff in the usa is weird - it's a very large country with many different and strongly divergent governmental styles on the state and local level, so there's a bunch of different ways to do things, which are all bad

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

What the gently caress? The Senate primary was months ago.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kev4congress/status/940690660658761730?s=17

Guy running for congress is edgy and daring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Your Taint posted:

• Locked thread