Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This morning I listened to NPR and they were interviewing a African American man barber and he said he was voting for Doug Jones even though he really likes Donald Trump because trump is honest and does what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What Im saying is everyone is loving stupid.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Chomskyan posted:

Nobody is scapegoating anybody. We're just listening to what black people say when someone bothers to give them a microphone. Those who have been interviewed who are going to vote seem mostly motivated by the horror show that is Roy Moore and are pretty lukewarm on Jones. Sure, he prosecuted the KKK... half a century ago. It's not as strong of a stump as he thinks

Black people in Alabama have been speaking out about how they feel ignored by Jones, and how they feel abandoned by the Democratic Party. If you think these articles aren't representative of black Alabamans as a whole feel free to post your own.

By the way, It could be that Jones wins, and that black people turn out in force because Moore is a such a frightening character. I hope Jones wins. But in my experience people are motivated more by hope for a better life, than by fear of having their already lovely lives upturned.

I dont need a goddamn article because I am a black person from alabama, with a lot of family and friends who are black people from alabama. They are being scapegoated. WHY are these articles being written?

edit: if you were truly TRULY listening to black people, my words would have equal weight then these articles, but my words dont fit your narrative

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

What Im saying is everyone is loving stupid.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chomskyan posted:

Nobody is scapegoating anybody. We're just listening to what black people say when someone bothers to give them a microphone. Those who have been interviewed who are going to vote seem mostly motivated by the horror show that is Roy Moore and are pretty lukewarm on Jones. Sure, he prosecuted the KKK... half a century ago. It's not as strong of a stump as he thinks

Black people in Alabama have been speaking out about how they feel ignored by Jones, and how they feel abandoned by the Democratic Party. If you think these articles aren't representative of black Alabamans as a whole feel free to post your own.

By the way, It could be that Jones wins, and that black people turn out in force because Moore is a such a frightening character. I hope Jones wins. But in my experience people are motivated more by hope for a better life, than by fear of having their already lovely lives upturned.

not exactly what you're looking for but still interesting little article on GOTV and canvassing in a black neighborhood https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/getting-out-the-black-vote-in-alabama

quote:

The next two houses wanted signs, too. “We understand it’s a bubble,” Laurie said. “We’ve been given a list of ‘likely democratic voters.’ But it’s encouraging to have really nice, energetic comments.” About a third of the self-described Jones supporters they spoke with took signs. “One man told me he was reluctant to put a yard sign out ‘for security reasons,’ ” Larry said. “It reminded me of the extent of cultural intimidation that still occurs. To support white supremacy, there was a closed society that intimidated folks with another view: run them out of the South or lynch them. We’ve still got a very narrow view of what proper political discourse is here. We don’t have a vigorous, open political debate.” He added, “Several people mentioned today that they didn’t want to show their neighbors how they were voting.”
“One man looked both ways, to make sure no one was listening, and then said, ‘I’m gonna vote for him, but I don’t want a sign,’ ” Laurie said. According to campaign records, this man’s neighbors were also registered Democrats.

quote:

Most of the people whom Larry and Laurie had spoken to over the past few weeks knew who Jones was. If they didn’t, Larry and Laurie found that it was more effective to say that John Lewis supports Jones than to say that Jones is a Democrat. “Lewis was the clincher,” Larry said. Issue-wise, voters most often wanted to know about Jones’s position on health care.

also Fluffdaddy thanks for bringing in your perspective :)

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Fluffdaddy posted:

Considering black folks have been having this fight and are much more resource strapped than white leftist, sorry I don't have any pity to give.

The Dems HAVE been fighting this for a long time, with legal challenges all over the country. I just don't see leftist who want to consider themselves outside of the dem coalition making the same effort.

The DSA is super white in this country and the majority of black folks consider themselves Democrats. Instead of pointing at the Dem establishment, how about some self reflection and figure out why this is.

I think this is super valid criticism. The lack of understanding around the importance of and the need to fight for voting rights is a huge blind spot. I mean, fighting to not just repair the VRA but expand it into a national right to vote would make everything else the left wants to do much more possible to accomplish.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

The problem is that the articles are going for a "Jones' campaign didn't reach out to black people narrative" but if he loses the narrative will ultimately be "black people didn't turn out for Jones," ignoring that Moore won primarily because garbage white people voted for him. Much in the same way that some people even today parrot "black people didn't turn out for Hillary" while ignoring things like voter suppression.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/s...er%3D38%23pti25

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

I dont need a goddamn article because I am a black person from alabama, with a lot of family and friends who are black people from alabama. They are being scapegoated. WHY are these articles being written?

edit: if you were truly TRULY listening to black people, my words would have equal weight then these articles, but my words dont fit your narrative

I don't think those articles are being written with the intention of scapegoating black people. I'm not ignoring your perspective, I consider it one of many.

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem is that the articles are going for a "Jones' campaign didn't reach out to black people narrative" but if he loses the narrative will ultimately be "black people didn't turn out for Jones," ignoring that Moore won primarily because garbage white people voted for him. Much in the same way that some people even today parrot "black people didn't turn out for Hillary" while ignoring things like voter suppression.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/s...er%3D38%23pti25

That has more to do with rank and file Dem politicians and their supporters feeling they're entitled to black votes and lashing out when they don't get them (because they're mediocre).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nevvy Z posted:

But there's a whole thread for us to watch from.

THUNDERDOME! THUNDERDOME! THUN-DER-DOME!

:munch:

I don't actually have PMs. I was just trying to dismissively end it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

That has more to do with rank and file Dem politicians and their supporters feeling they're entitled to black votes and lashing out when they don't get them (because they're mediocre).

I mean yes, but the point is that the narrative that will ultimately be internalized and propagated to most people is centered on a proposed failing of black voters, intentionally or not, which is lovely and dumb.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean yes, but the point is that the narrative that will ultimately be internalized and propagated to most people is centered on a proposed failing of black voters, intentionally or not, which is lovely and dumb.

I agree

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep and instead of having any self reflection, the leftist will continue to say poo poo like this:

Chomskyan posted:

I don't think those articles are being written with the intention of scapegoating black people. I'm not ignoring your perspective, I consider it one of many.

Those articles are being written to make white people feel better about their moral failings and to make black people complicit in the election of a pedophile.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Ultimately ‘blame the voters’ is going to become the narrative in whatever permutation it adopts. God forbid this country’s ubiquitous authoritarianism allow us to do anything else.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Here is some work being done by black folks who are also financially strapped

https://twitter.com/ProjectSouth/status/940573701262774272

If you are a DSA person this is the kind of work that needs to be done.

edit: Article Link

https://thinkprogress.org/voter-registration-former-felons-alabama-election-aa3ba5ecb020/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

Ultimately ‘blame the voters’ is going to become the narrative in whatever permutation it adopts. God forbid this country’s ubiquitous authoritarianism allow us to do anything else.

I'm willing to argue that the voting population as a whole bears some degree of responsibility for the mess we face now. Ronald Reagan didn't just take over in a coup, he was elected in massive landslides, for example.

I think it's dumb and suspect to specifically single out black voters for Democratic losses because it misunderstands the problem, however.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't actually have PMs. I was just trying to dismissively end it.

rest assured, at no point was I under the illusion you wanted to address the issue

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

Here is some work being done by black folks who are also financially strapped

https://twitter.com/ProjectSouth/status/940573701262774272

If you are a DSA person this is the kind of work that needs to be done.

edit: Article Link

https://thinkprogress.org/voter-registration-former-felons-alabama-election-aa3ba5ecb020/

quote:

DOTHAN, ALABAMA — “Today is the last day to register to vote in the state of Alabama,” Pastor Kenneth Glasgow said into a microphone, his energy lighting up the radio studio in the office of a community group he runs. “Those of you listening in the prison cells right now: You can vote if you don’t have a murder charge or any kind of sex charge.”

:psyduck:

trans people -- basically murderers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

botany posted:

sex charge. meaning rape or pedophilia. not sex change

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

botany posted:

sex char-

Fluffdaddy posted:

sex charge. meaning rape or pedophilia. not sex change

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys just popping in to remind everyone that the state of alabama graciously allows dmv offices in black belt counties to open one day a month in case anyone was wondering why black turnout might not be all that great

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh i completely misread that, haha, i'm sorry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

botany posted:

oh i completely misread that, haha, i'm sorry.

It works either way for republicans.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also "sex change" is a really offensive term and you should work on not having it pop into your mind so easily.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/940365963639296000

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Normally not a fan of gif replies but for some reason this one made my day.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bax1pLRgM24

Ro Khanna and Robert Reich discuss a variety of things, including the Democratic party response to the economic messages of Trump and the Republicans.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Black people are complicit. Just because there are systematic reasons that black people stay home does not entirely absolve us for staying home. Black people need to hear they are part of the problem and not be coddled for not being involved as well.

Its not a either or thing. White people shoulder a lot of blame, but black people still have blame. A lot of people stay home just for being lazy and then blame it on other stuff after the fact; I've seen it my entire life.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Darko posted:

Black people are complicit. Just because there are systematic reasons that black people stay home does not entirely absolve us for staying home. Black people need to hear they are part of the problem and not be coddled for not being involved as well.

Its not a either or thing. White people shoulder a lot of blame, but black people still have blame. A lot of people stay home just for being lazy and then blame it on other stuff after the fact; I've seen it my entire life.

What does this have to do with voter suppression? How are we complicit in systematic racism when we are not a majority actor in it?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Darko posted:

This is accurate. Unfortunately we are not above being awful and have our own cultural problems.

I will always cape for Black folks, except when it's about our actual faults that need to be addressed.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

What does this have to do with voter suppression? How are we complicit in systematic racism when we are not a majority actor in it?

I didn't read it as complicit in voter suppression, but in things like staying home for being antichoice and homophobic. I hope I'm not mistaken..

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Darko posted:

https://twitter.com/TheWayWithAnoa/status/940565083914145792

See also that video of Nomiki Konst.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Darko posted:

White people are the problem you loving dipshit.

Even if individual black people act in complacency it's white people that started and perpetuate the system that stymies them from having any power.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Darko posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cmclymer/status/940751375851507712

👕👚👕👚👕👚👕👚👕👚 good shirt go౦ԁ sHirt👕 thats 👔 some good👕👕shirt right👕👕th 👕 ere👕👕👕 right👔there 👔👔if i do ƽaү so my self 🏃 i say so 🏃 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMᎷМ🏃 👕👕👕НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👕👕👕👕 🏃 👕 👚👚👚 👕👕Good shirt

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Aren't American voting rates ridiculously low all over the board? I'd say blaming individual "laziness" or whatever is missing the forest for the trees, since its apparently a systematic issue.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I didn't read it as complicit in voter suppression, but in things like staying home for being antichoice and homophobic. I hope I'm not mistaken..

Yes, black people are Republicans in everything but racism as a whole. And also why they get lazy when they (we) percieve it as nothing affecting us in particular, with no worry about the long-view or other demographics.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Well luckily black Republicans are very, very small percentage of the black electorate.

They don't represent us at all.

The big problem I want addressed in my community is sexism and CSA. But that's a chat for another thread.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

White people are the problem you loving dipshit.

Even if individual black people act in complacency it's white people that started and perpetuate the system that stymies them from having any power.

How many years have you lived among black people as a black person? They arent special perfect saints you have to protect, they are just as lovely as white people, just not in power. Don't infantalize us, we aren't babies that need to be coddled and need to answer with our own internal reasons that we don't get involved.

We know white people are the first cause, but there is a lot of internal bullshit black people need to be called.on as well, and I don't mind a spotlight on it.

Edited because my phone tore that post up

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 13, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Well luckily black Republicans are very, very small percentage of the black electorate.

They don't represent us at all.

The big problem I want addressed in my community is sexism and CSA. But that's a chat for another thread.

The issue isnt black Republicans, its that on almost every issue besides race, black people generally align with Republicans, which is part of the reason they don't go out stronger for Democratic issues. Its a large elephant in the room that always gets really minimized, but is a huge reason Hillary lost states (sexism causing apathy).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Based on age breakdowns of voters I don’t think that bears out statistically. Older black people may be relatively conservative but all the data we’ve seen recently suggests younger black people are overwhelmingly progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Darko posted:

The issue isnt black Republicans, its that on almost every issue besides race, black people generally align with Republicans, which is part of the reason they don't go out stronger for Democratic issues. Its a large elephant in the room that always gets really minimized, but is a huge reason Hillary lost states (sexism causing apathy).

Black Republicans are not the majority of black people though. Black people always come out for Democrats. We broke for Hillary, especially black women.

• Locked thread