Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New episode of Runaways is pretty good up until the cliffhanger, which hinges on a certain character arbitrarily turning into a complete idiot.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The lawyer lady is explained to, in extremely specific detail, by JJ what Kilgrave's powers are, that he's a liar, a rapist, and a manipulator, and can mind-control people, and she's convinced anyways because her divorce is going so badly that she decides to free Kilgrave so he can mind-control her wife into signing the divorce papers.

Basically, she either thinks that he can't actually mind-control people (despite having no reason to distrust JJ at that point, but we can take it as "She doesn't buy mind-control as a superpower"), in which case why would she ever let him go for the explicit purpose of mind-controlling her soon-to-be-ex-wife, or she thinks he can, in which case why would she ever honestly believe that he wouldn't just mind-control her the first chance he got.

It's sincerely one of the dumbest loving things I've seen in any superhero-based media. It's the worst. It's terrible.

ed: It's sincerely a plot hole that's completely unexplained in-universe why it would happen beyond "this one character temporarily became unable to have the barest minimum level of common sense, despite her character up to that point being defined by her competence, intelligence, and general level of logic and reason"

This sort of plotting is in large part a consequence of Rosenberg's extremely short-sighted decision to ditch the procedural aspect of the source material entirely and have almost the entire series focus on a single antagonist, which even Iron Fist, a much worse show overall, had enough sense not to do. There simply isn't enough story in the Jessica/Kilgrave conflict to sustain any more than 6-8 episodes, and IIRC, the eighth episode is right around the point where the show transparently starts coming up with increasingly implausible reasons to keep him around as a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/sta...687788072058881

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sweet

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Figured they would, kind of was hoping they wouldn't though. I mean that closed that arc off nicely and actually left Frank in a good, healthy place.

Oh god I hope nothing happens to Micro and his family

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My hope is Frank kills more PMCs, or even better, nazis.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're definitely going to kill Curtis in this one :smith:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
13 episodes of Frank going to meetings and talking about his feelings.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

They're definitely going to kill Curtis in this one :smith:

Don't even put that into the universe. :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cuda gonna waste micro and the family first

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Micro and Fam will be FINE. YOU HEAR ME? FINE!

Curtis WILL BE FINE. He will have branched out starting other Vet Recovery groups through out the city as he expands to a large charity that he runs. Selflessly. And he's recognized and feted by the city getting a TON of donations as he heals PTSD Vets.

:colbert:

Seriously, though. It's going to be retaliation from the Mob for what happened in S1E01. Also Jigsaw in the back half of S2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This week's Gifted had some surprisingly cool scenes. I've mostly been tepid on it but the last episode really showed the show's potential.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gifted's latest episode was really good and went in a surprising direction. I mean yeah we all knew something was up but I was shocked at the end-of-the-episode turn. Despite the limitations of being a network television show having to deal with a vague connection to the wider X-Men Filmverse, it is doing a pretty good job. It is also doing a good job of subverting expectations.

Dialogue is often clunky but this episode did well on dialogue.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The ending of Runaways saw a character suddenly become a character on a bad sitcom in what is supposed to be a dramatic moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I could totally get down with Frank targeting the Alt Right shitheads.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I could totally get down with Frank targeting the Alt Right shitheads.

Nazis. They are nazis

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Nazis. They are nazis

Not disagreeing, I just feel like Hitler wouldn't even want these clowns on his side.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Not disagreeing, I just feel like Hitler wouldn't even want these clowns on his side.
Someine had to rush leningrad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
After Robin, now it's time to see what Hawk & Dove look like in DC's upcoming Teen Titans series

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is going to be one of those cases where those costumes are going to look awful in motion, won't it? Mostly because I don't expect the show to have the cinematography budget to make them not look cheap. These stills are nicely photoshopped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they need motion to make them ugly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I don't think they need motion to make them ugly

Those things are terrible. And that's the "let's make it look good with Photoshop" version. The actual versions will probably be some drab "My First Cosplay" level of poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looks like a photo straight outta clooneys Batman and Robin

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love them. gently caress "modern" takes on superhero/villain costumes that are just people dressed up in some colored leather jackets and calling it a day. What is this, 1997? Bring on the full shebang of comic-book-looking cowls and designs and capes and feathers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Improvement over their comic costumes either way though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hawk looks fantastic. Dove less so.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I for one, am excited to see Femto take on the teen titans 😂😂😂

That said, Cyborg isn't in this right? Neither is Bumblebee or black Wally West?

I dunno if I can put myself through this just for black Starfire, esp if she's gonna be orange the whole time. :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Koalas March posted:

I for one, am excited to see Femto take on the teen titans 😂😂😂

That said, Cyborg isn't in this right? Neither is Bumblebee or black Wally West?

I dunno if I can put myself through this just for black Starfire, esp if she's gonna be orange the whole time. :(

Cyborg was never in the TT. :downswords:

I would like bumblebee and herald to show up.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Cyborg was never in the TT. :downswords:

I would like bumblebee and herald to show up.
Wasn't Cyborg sent to coach/babysit the TTs? Maybe that was just a cartoon or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If I had to guess I would say, pending ratings, that Disney would be willing to keep The Gifted and Legion around as they're not directly X-Men series. They both operate on the periphery of the franchise and are also explicitly alternate universe takes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

If I had to guess I would say, pending ratings, that Disney would be willing to keep The Gifted and Legion around as they're not directly X-Men series. They both operate on the periphery of the franchise and are also explicitly alternate universe takes.

It's not like any of the actual Marvel TV shows operate within the movie universe anyway. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If Disney is smart they'll leave FX the hell alone. Gifted's fate ultimately depends more on what direction the Fox network takes, and how interested they are in airing content produced by outside studios.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TheDK posted:

Wasn't Cyborg sent to coach/babysit the TTs? Maybe that was just a cartoon or something.

The new and improved timeline erases his TT membership and makes him a founding member of the jla.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

howe_sam posted:

If Disney is smart they'll leave FX the hell alone. Gifted's fate ultimately depends more on what direction the Fox network takes, and how interested they are in airing content produced by outside studios.

FX isn't going to Disney. It's going to some Indian company I believe.

Never mind, I completely misinterpreted a poorly constructed sentence in the article I read.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

From what I read, Disney is possibly interested in absorbing much of the Fox TV production assets into it's own because apparently ABC Studios was much smaller than Fox's TV arm. They want to bolster their ability to produce content because they are pivoting to digital streaming soon (and they now own Fox's portion of Hulu as well.) So I don't see them having issue with something like Gifted. But it might not stay on Fox. They also want to strengthen ABC in general, because apparently it hasn't been doing so well?

The real question is what happens to Gotham and Lucifer?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neither of them are produced by Fox, they're both Warner. So they would probably just stick around.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Neither of them are produced by Fox, they're both Warner.

Yes, but Fox had incentive to make deals with Warner to air those shows on their network. Does Disney? What stops Disney from not renewing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Yes, but Fox had incentive to make deals with Warner to air those shows on their network. Does Disney? What stops Disney from not renewing?

Disney isn't buying the Fox TV network

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

Disney isn’t buying the Fox broadcast network (they legally can’t due to FCC regulations, actually).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

howe_sam posted:

Isn't the whole point that it's not an outside studio anymore? I mean I don't really know how the specifics are supposed to work but the point is that all the TV production is up to Disney now, right?

edit: By which I mean, it would be really weird for 21st Century Fox to sell all these shows to Disney -- The Gifted, Simpsons, Empire, X-Files, etc etc -- and then still be able to say "Well we're gonna cancel these shows that you just paid so much money for so they can't air anymore. Sucks to be you!"

Or maybe I just don't understand this right and it really is that weird.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Disney isn’t buying the Fox broadcast network (they legally can’t due to FCC regulations, actually).

I actually thought that rule changed this month. I saw some hollering about it on the news. That's why I thought it was included in the deal. Also, the articles on the merger that I read mentioned Disney buying the local sports licenses that Fox networks had, so I assumed it was a package deal.