Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Glumslinger posted:

Its actually better than a lot of the predictions and models

Alabama is red as gently caress

Except that most people identifying as "I" are probably just trying to hide their shame Moore vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There are twice as many Republicans as Democrats in Alabama.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

canepazzo posted:

That seems bad. Is it bad? Seems bad.

There are about 5 people in Alabama that identify as democrats

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Despera posted:

I know 4 of 'em.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Rigel posted:

Party ID in early exits:

37% D
43% R
20% I

So 63% R then.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Despera posted:

Well, all of them showed up today, that's for sure.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BonoMan posted:

Except that most people identifying as "I" are probably just trying to hide their shame Moore vote.

Independents are down a lot from the models too

Quorum posted:

43% self-reported Republican vote share is slightly above Monmouth's weighted 41% in the last high-quality poll we had (that had the race tied), and 37% Democratic is way up from Monmouth's 30%. Meanwhile, Independents at 20% are way below Monmouth's 28%.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

30% black would be for Moore like what it would be like for an Eagles fan to watch Carson Wentz tear his ACL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6VoFBCE9k

:smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BonoMan posted:

It's Alabama, a place that is apparently so hosed up I can see people being more ashamed of not voting Republican than for voting for a kid fucker.

No one knows what's going to happen.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Rigel posted:

Party ID in early exits:

37% D
43% R
20% I

That seems... good? I don't know if it's enough for Dougie Jones to win, but less than 50% of voters identifying as Republican is something.

I'm thinking those huge independent voter numbers are coming from somewhere - it's possible many are traditionally Republican voters who self-identify as independent because they just voted for the Democrat or Nick Saban.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

That poll actually shows why it's vital that we kick out the Frankens and Conyers because Dems vote for the person not just the party.

gently caress what the Republicans think about them, we HAVE to run a clean house for our own voters sakes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rigel posted:

yep. I'd rather be in our position than the enemy's right now though. Its like how if you win by 30 votes you might still lose in the recount, but you'd rather be the one up going into the recount.

I have this reasoning in my head that, if that polling is accurate (and it's already been pointed out how hard it is to get accurate exit polling samples) then it might end up going up further than 30%. I live in a conservative, older population town in CA, and most of the voting happens here in the AM because old white people get up to vote and have nothing else to do, so they go vote and then go get lunch and talk about how the browns are ruining the world, but black voters are facing an uphill battle and will probably tend toward voting later because of that.

I'm ridiculously optimistic given that it's alabama, but god drat do I want another win. It's not about needing a win, it's about wanting the GOP to fail so loving spectacularly you can see it from low orbit.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ripoff posted:

The 20% I is scary as hell because that could be “don’t want to be associated with child mollestors but voted for the mollestor regardless” or “so disgusted with GOP but can’t be seen as a Jones supporter at church”.

The recurring theme with this race is that everything is unpredictable, and the data doesn't help, and you could interpret ambiguities to favour either Jones or Moore, and there's nothing to do but curl up and wait for actual results.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

disjoe posted:

That seems... good? I don't know if it's enough for Dougie Jones to win, but less than 50% of voters identifying as Republican is something.

Plus, it's not a given that all 43% of those Republicans cast ballots for Roy Moore. If even 2-3% of them didn't...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Supercar Gautier posted:

The recurring theme with this race is that everything is unpredictable, and the data doesn't help, and you could interpret ambiguities to favour either Jones or Moore, and there's nothing to do but curl up and wait for actual results.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm ridiculously optimistic given that it's alabama, but god drat do I want another win. It's not about needing a win, it's about wanting the GOP to fail so loving spectacularly you can see it from low orbit.

This guy gets it.

I want Mitch McConnell to drop a terrified watery deuce in his pants tonight. I want GOP spokespeople running scared on the cable channels. I want to see their terror as their impending doom in 2018 becomes ever clearer. I want them to feel fear.

I want Doug Jones' victory to inspire so much fear that he receives a yellow power ring and becomes a member of the Sinestro Corps.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

business hammocks posted:

Those are all republicans, yes?

most of the time, but self-described I's have been much more anti-moore than self-described Rs

it's good

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
In conclusion, Alabama is a land of contrasts.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: shy tory effect in action. Well, maybe.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

most of the time, but self-described I's have been much more anti-moore than self-described Rs

it's good

Perhaps they are all Nick Saban write-in voters and we will have the true comedy option win out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Perhaps they are all Nick Saban write-in voters and we will have the true comedy option win out.

I almost want Nick Saban to win, just to hear Finebaum in the morning

"Paaaaaawl, how is he gonna recruit when they need him in DC for a big vote?"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
CNN is projecting that Bear Bryant's corpse is the new AL-Sen-elect.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Glumslinger posted:

I almost want Nick Saban to win, just to hear Finebaum in the morning

"Paaaaaawl, how is he gonna recruit when they need him in DC for a big vote?"

That just gives him a good opportunity to visit the VA/MD recruits :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Because you post stupid poo poo and then cry like a baby when people call you out on it. Grow up or gently caress off you childish, unfunny, uninteresting bore

Hrm, if only there were an ignore feature that you could use to block people you don't like.

Oh wait.....

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The people of Alabama have chosen *looks down at paper* Gus Malzahn

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Jones wins, and thats a big if, all these numbers we're looking at and talking about point to one thing in 2020: Doug Jones would then have a more difficult re-election race (excluding scandals and black swan events) than practically anyone in the last decade.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

axeil posted:

Me run for Senator?

*laughs evilly*

Do you KNOW how much power I'd have to give up to be SENATOR?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Forrest Gump should have ran for the seat. He seemed like a good guy.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

If Jones ends up pulling this out tonight the funny thing is the lesson the RWM will take from it and present to its viewers is “we lost because our guy got smeared by a bunch of false accusations!” , and not “hey maybe don’t nominate lawless whack jobs”.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

If Jones ends up pulling this out tonight the funny thing is the lesson the RWM will take from it and present to its viewers is “we lost because our guy got smeared by a bunch of false accusations!” , and not “hey maybe don’t nominate lawless whack jobs”.

Well they can't do the latter, they'd have nobody left to nominate in the party in that case :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

letthereberock posted:

On the other hand, it might scare donors off from Bannon backed candidates

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

letthereberock posted:

I'm not sure if the main reason I want Jones to win is because of the extra seat or because of the epic Trump meltdowns it will trigger.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/940720889313792001

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

No Butt Stuff posted:

Lol at those initials

How did we go so long not noticing this

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

If Jones wins, and thats a big if, all these numbers we're looking at and talking about point to one thing in 2020: Doug Jones would then have a more difficult re-election race (excluding scandals and black swan events) than practically anyone in the last decade.

Literally no one thinks he will win in 2020, it's not even worth considering.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Your Taint posted:

Hrm, if only there were an ignore feature that you could use to block people you don't like.

Oh wait.....

Mad YT

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
As an non-America I read it as ‘30% of black voters turned out’ rather than ‘30% of voters were black’.

Does it make me silly to think both were supposed to be impressive?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

letthereberock posted:

Nah they'll probably go "We didn't gerrymander and voter-suppress enough"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

what if Roy Moore runs as an independent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PT6A posted:

It's Alabama, a place that is apparently so hosed up I can see people being more ashamed of not voting Republican than for voting for a kid fucker.

No one knows what's going to happen.

Ha well that's what I'm saying. They say they're "I" in the exit poll, but in reality voted Republican.

Anyway yeah it's just baseless speculation.

• Locked thread