Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ay yo, I am new to this thread, what does "post-escalator" refer to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GunnerJ posted:

time

specifically the time since trump first descended the escalator to announce he was running for president

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

he's very unpopular with educated women and educated black people, but wins basically every other demographic in Alabama.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol what the gently caress blockchain is designed to be slow. literally that is the entire point, it's a system for bashing out a consensus timeline amongst mutually distrustful and unaccountable peers. it's an interesting technological exercise in the same sense as, say, a motor that runs on pig blood, and about as practical for anything other than speculation by libertarian idiots.

a "private blockchain" between legally accountable entities like large clearing banks can be built on top of plain old asymmetric cryptography, of the kind that has had well understood and validated software and hardware implementations for several decades now.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Yes, with a private blockchain you can have a lower difficulty due to already trusting the peers on the network or even use a different type of block verification method.

That sort of slow proof of work (GPUs doing random crypto puzzles to 'mine' a block) is there as a security measure for the integrity of the ledger to prevent changes without a consensus (other GPUs verifying the puzzle was solved correctly by re-doing the work)

Ethereum is thinking about moving to proof of stake, where you literally put up Ether as a stake and then when your node gets chosen, if the work/transactions your node did/processed was not good and what the rest of the network agrees that the solution was you potentially could lose what you put up for stake. This would speed up things and reduce a lot of wasted energy. (although it relies on people feeling that Ether has worth, rather than raw electricity via GPU)

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Dec 12, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

digital ballots are a farce in the first place

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

unsurprising but this week's TAL is baddem af. talking about issues centering around nafta and 90s immigration without mentioning clinton's name (reagan and hw both named, everything in 90s discussed in context of "congress" despite being about executive enforcement), a really flawed economic analysis, credulous of business' claims, and economists are objective. like they talk about earnings stagnation but do the whole neolib "what a surprise! what could this possibly be?" song and dance.

after describing how immigrant labor broke unions and all these interconnected forces in labor economics, they talk about wage stagnation as if it's independent of unionization and all the factors they just discussed just so they can do this weak mic drop on jeff sessions about wage stagnation having nothing to do with immigration
neoliberal public radio

chomsky said that he caught himself speeding way over the speeding limit because he got so angry listening to npr

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

i am betting you moore wins because no matter what the polls say, tens of thousands of black ppl will show up to the polls and get turned away ~mysteriously~

https://twitter.com/xobritdear/status/940607836912013317

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is it, the perfect gif.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

navyjack posted:

Yeah, she’s black, female, and qualified, so she would get 4% in the first primary and donut Twitter would drag Bernie Sanders for being a sexist for not endorsing her

she is black and female but in fact not qualified because being a republican and/or conservative disqualifies you from holding any office

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Dems absolutely crushing it in Alabama

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/940705498743169025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

The Suck Zone: vote on Wednesday!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the abuela and mutti stuff always reminds me of how the kim dynasty are portrayed in nk like nurturing natl moms to the korean people

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

state parties are trash

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all democratic party candidates should submit in the future to The Algorithm

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GunnerJ posted:

lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

according to the exit polls 40% of voters believe the claims against Roy Moore are false. amazing what willful denial can accomplish.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

half of americans believe man-made climate change is a hoax

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

drat, with friends like these.....

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

its a useful phrase to refer to the exact event at which the country went completely off the rails

i like to talk about people stuck in "pre escalator thinking" to refer to the bad dems who seem to be concerned with decorum and reaching across the aisle to pass a bipartisan tax reform bill and havent seemed to become aware that the country is ruled is led by rapist nazi traitors

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Why are dems so bad at literally every step of every thing that they do?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

thats dumb but what kind of person doesn't remember to vote unless their email tells them to

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hello I am new here could someone please explain to me the words *squinting* "President... Trump"??

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Vox Nihili posted:

Hello I am new here could someone please explain to me the words *squinting* "President... Trump"??

It's a meme, man. You don't have to worry, Jill Stein is prez.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/940722964655374336

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie is a Mostly Boy spare him you cowards

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This is compelling

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i like to hope bernie would make that sacrifice if we asked it of him

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hmm. If it's JUST the 535 congressmen, then it's no good as most of congress is empty suits. But if it were say the executive leadership + board members of the top 535 companies...Now we're talking.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hmm. If it's JUST the 535 congressmen, then it's no good as most of congress is empty suits. But if it were say the executive leadership + board members of the top 535 companies...Now we're talking.

gotta add the Supreme Court on there too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

gotta add the Supreme Court on there too.

Sure. But I'd rather the means tested formula for execution be less "was elected to this position under the pretense of a democratic system," and more "was born into this position because of an oligarchic system."

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
bad news for the dozens of extremely wealthy Democrats who thought a Disney CEO might be a credible 2020 contender

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Veering dangerously towards the probatable/bannable "threatening the lives of elected officials" line, fellas.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I liked the part where "one well heeled Hollywood political power player" said

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BritandCo/status/939572107087822848

this seems like a problematic message to me, almost like it's saying female victims failed at being independent women

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

this seems like a problematic message to me, almost like it's saying female victims failed at being independent women

probably because its considered poor taste to use the word victim as opposed to stuff like survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's easy to feel that way when this man is your husband

• Locked thread