Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Koalas March posted:

Elizabeth Epps is an activist and an analyst. She isn't a rando just because you don't follow black people.

They're pretty local from my brief research before I posted anything, but I yield to your subject matter expertise. Not everyone worth listening to is verified.

Still, the actual applicability of the opinion to this particular race is very debatable and seems to mostly have drawn discussion about larger questions about the Democratic Party and its strategy so I'm going to stick with dropping Twitter opinions of dubious applicability or predictive ability isn't necessarily great regardless of ~influencer~ status or stupid Twitter badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

those are charismatics and they're usually found in the mountains, which alabama doesn't have a lot of

alabama's evangelicals are mostly the joyless baptist variety
I refer to all nutty denominations as Snake Handlers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

Elizabeth Epps is an activist and an analyst. She isn't a rando just because you don't follow black people.

i don't follow the overwhelmingly vast majority of activists from, what twitter tells me, colorado, and now that i know she is an activist/analyst in colorado she definitely falls into the category of 'rando' when it comes to analysis of alabama

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dial of doom will start vibrating at 8:15 apparently

https://twitter.com/jeremybowers/status/940673795672760321

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Ah yes, I forgot you're not a person unless you have a Twitter presence.

Yes that is what I was saying

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This places the ratio in a new and historically unpleasant light.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes that is what I was saying

You know what.. I like you, I want us to be cool. I'm sorry if I was being a dick. 🙈🙈🙈

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

dial of doom will start vibrating at 8:15 apparently

https://twitter.com/jeremybowers/status/940673795672760321

What a changed world from the primaries with their happy little scissor lift animations.

All hail the doom needle!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Koalas March posted:

You know what.. I like you, I want us to be cool. I'm sorry if I was being a dick. 🙈🙈🙈

It's cool. I was actually thinking today in therapy about running for school board and was thinking if I did that I would probably want to be in CO tact with you about making sure our (admittedly small) minority population has their voices heard because I dunno how to do that outreach atm

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's cool. I was actually thinking today in therapy about running for school board and was thinking if I did that I would probably want to be in CO tact with you about making sure our (admittedly small) minority population has their voices heard because I dunno how to do that outreach atm

That sounds awesome. I am getting more and more involved in my local politics and coasting on my last name (I'm related to a local popular politician.. PM me and I'll tell you who it is lol) and familial ties.

Let me know what I can do!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah once I gather more info I'll pm if I bite the bullet. I've got 4 kids, and I want to make sure their education is quality, but the work required to do a good job seems like a lot, but you know, the best thing for my kids and those in the community would be to stop these assholes from inflating administration salaries and start paying teachers and funding classrooms. No one currently serving is willing to do that.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
What is Alabama law regarding people who are still in line at the time the polls close?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Vortex Street posted:

What is Alabama law regarding people who are still in line at the time the polls close?

https://twitter.com/KristenClarkeJD/status/940739801992478720

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah once I gather more info I'll pm if I bite the bullet. I've got 4 kids, and I want to make sure their education is quality, but the work required to do a good job seems like a lot, but you know, the best thing for my kids and those in the community would be to stop these assholes from inflating administration salaries and start paying teachers and funding classrooms. No one currently serving is willing to do that.

Well I hope you go for it! Communities need leaders that actually care about taking care of people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vortex Street posted:

Is there any state where polls don't stay open as the citizen has done his or her duty to show up on time?

Legitimately don't know

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
HERE

WE

GO

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is this the GDT? Or the Trump thread?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
POLLS CLOSED* THE END IS NIGH :black101:

axeil posted:

HERE

WE

GO

Mind_Taker posted:

The answer appears to be "both".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

This thread is for all the cool kids so you're in the right place.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mind_Taker posted:

People will be posting in both.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No Butt Stuff posted:

:kimchi:

It's so, so easy to communicate with your local gov once you meet a few faces a few times. They're regular people for the most part, and likewise 70% of the time just want to do a good job

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Holy gently caress are white people in Alabama stupid, 70% for Moore

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
CNN is out with its exit poll, which shows a very, very close top line — Moore at 49 or 50 percent of the vote, and Jones at 48 or 49 percent.

KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

This thread is probably more focused and the best place for TVIV posting but the Trump Thread sort of talks about whatever is happening too!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Is there any state where polls don't stay open as the citizen has done his or her duty to show up on time?

Legitimately don't know

My recollection is they're required to by federal law, so no.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

CNN is out with its exit poll, which shows a very, very close top line — Moore at 49 or 50 percent of the vote, and Jones at 48 or 49 percent.

KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gonna be a long night

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/940748812959838209

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

God drat this is going to be a nailbiter

:f5:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
With 1 out of 2,220 precincts reporting I think we can safely call this for Jones.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Quorum posted:

Gonna be a long night

Oh god.

Bo Jackson, give me strength.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/940749678634774528

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/940749764152446981

oh god the needle of doom is gonna swing even more

Nate posted:

The exit polls — which again, you should take with a few large grains of salt — show Jones getting just 27 percent of the white vote, which is better than Democrats usually do in Alabama but not quite as much as pollsters probably thought he’d need to win. However, they show black turnout at 30 percent, which is higher than pollsters projected. Therefore, everything pretty much evens out and the exit poll shows the race as a dead heat. This could be consistent with very high turnout from both black voters and the GOP base. Or it could just the be the exit polls being weird.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Godinster posted:

Holy gently caress are white people in Alabama stupid, 70% for Moore

that's pretty good for jones

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks!

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Legitimately don't know

Well, it's Alabama so I assumed the worst.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pretty good by historical standards, not good by what he needs to win. Not "its over" but not great.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

that's stunning.

and 20% of white's without college.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Oh god.

Bo Jackson, give me strength.

I appreciate this callback.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

That doesn't change the fact that white people are the worst

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Pretty good by historical standards, not good by what he needs to win. Not "its over" but not great.

he needs about 25% to make it a nailbiter

Quandary posted:

That doesn't change the fact that white people are the worst

well of course not, but that's significantly better than i expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harry Enten posted:

The big question that we don’t know the answer to yet is who wins the 9 percent of voters who had a favorable opinion of neither candidate. More voters in the exit poll had a favorable view of only Jones (46 percent) than only Moore (38 percent), but as we learned last year, it’s sometimes the vote of the “I don’t like either” camp that makes the difference.

• Locked thread