Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is this just Interplay Fallout because if so then gently caress yes I'll get this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frankston posted:

Is this just Interplay Fallout because if so then gently caress yes I'll get this

Its a sequel to the game that fallout was the spiritual successor to. Its pretty good but theres been a ton of recent iso rpgs and a lot of them are better so ymmv

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a sequel to the game that fallout was the spiritual successor to. Its pretty good but theres been a ton of recent iso rpgs and a lot of them are better so ymmv

Fallout tried to emulate Wasteland? I thought it was the other way around.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Knowing Kuchera I expected more vitriol but then if you count that he wasn't technically wrong on all accounts (the discontinuation of nes mini, Odissey being the only E3 presence and Arms while gorgeous being weird and unconventional as duck) it reads more like a "what the gently caress is wrong with the market" (nothing because the three other platforms cannibalize each other) than an hate boner.

That’s basically it. Ben’s not wrong on anything in that article- Nintendo hosed up a lot of poo poo this year, gambled on some risky decisions, and released the Switch with a lot of its’s front end missing. Nintendo succeeded in spite of itself in 2017 because the market was absolutely ready for a Nintendo Switch with the PS4 and XBone basically being the same system and Steam’s spent two years blowing all the goodwill the PC market built up in the last decade. Basically, everyone’s bad but Nintendo was a different kind of bad and their good was something folks wanted while nobody cares about VR or... the void that represents XBox’s ambitions.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I posit
Would the switch have been as successful if Zelda wasn't a launch tiyou know what I can't even end that question of course it wouldn't have, it would've been a 3DS 2 where there's gently caress all to play for a year and then it turns into creamy goodness

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Calaveron posted:

I posit
Would the switch have been as successful if Zelda wasn't a launch tiyou know what I can't even end that question of course it wouldn't have, it would've been a 3DS 2 where there's gently caress all to play for a year and then it turns into creamy goodness

If we take stock in old pre-January Switch Event rumors, Odyssey was pretty much ready to go for launch but apparently they felt that Zelda would be enough/could be released in the state it was in and made a strategic move to release Mario at the end of October.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Frankston posted:

I've really tried to get into it multiple times on PC and it never clicked. It feels denser than Interplay Fallout, and not in a good way. I know there's already a console port, but that UI does not seem ideal for a non-PC platform.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If we take stock in old pre-January Switch Event rumors, Odyssey was pretty much ready to go for launch but apparently they felt that Zelda would be enough/could be released in the state it was in and made a strategic move to release Mario at the end of October.

God I just love how Nintendo's philosophy now is "hey here's this super awesome game we just announced for the first time ever. It will be out in six months

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

goferchan posted:

You can, they're adding an option for gyro aiming with single joycons.... which ALSO sounds really bad for a twin stick shooter lol but I guess it's worth a try
The Geometry Wars game on the Wii had pointer aiming and it was actually a really solid control scheme. Not too far off from how gungeon and nuclear throne play with a mouse on pc.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I keep getting a 'connection server timeout due to user inactivity' error when I try to connect to the E-Shop. Anyone else getting this problem?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr Phillby posted:

The Geometry Wars game on the Wii had pointer aiming and it was actually a really solid control scheme. Not too far off from how gungeon and nuclear throne play with a mouse on pc.

that was with nunchucks & the IR sensor though, right? this is just using a single joycon to move, dodge roll, activate items, shoot, and somehow aim with the gyro.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

goferchan posted:

that was with nunchucks & the IR sensor though, right? this is just using a single joycon to move, dodge roll, activate items, shoot, and somehow aim with the gyro.

From what I've heard (mostly from the World of Goo port), the joycons work fine simulating a pointer.
Still a lot of buttons for a single joycon, but if the option exists for 1 player to use motion controls I might pick it up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know what to do about error code 2813-9712? Doesn't seem to come up with Google at all. I've tried restarting my Switch, among other things.

quote:

The connection to the server has timed out due to inactivity.

Please restart Nintendo eShop and try again.

I just wanna get my pinball on :smith:

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

404notfound posted:

Anybody know what to do about error code 2813-9712? Doesn't seem to come up with Google at all. I've tried restarting my Switch, among other things.

Oh poo poo I'm getting that too. I think the server is probably down in that case?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You are both banned. Have you disrespected your Switch lately?

mtr
May 15, 2008

404notfound posted:

I'm also getting this on my end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can confirm as well.

Also can confirm Zelda DLC is pretty drat good after the beginning stuff on the Great Plateau. The trials are pretty nicely designed overall, including the final area. Boss fight's a bit goofy, but what can you do. And of course the loving reward speaks for itself.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Looks like the error code changed and it says it's under maintenance now. Guess I'll have to do something else while I wait for Pinball FX to become available again.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm planning to pick up a Switch with Xenoblade, Zelda and Mario. What are some "must have" accessories I should pick up along with the Switch?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't think I've ever read a Ben Kuchera article where at the end of it I felt like I had read anything of value. Didn't he write the article about how amazing the Ouya was when he was sitting in a hotel room just running emulators off of it? And then he got fired from Penny Arcade?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He says Nintendo only showed off Mario Odyssey at E3 which is just completely factually incorrect. Their booth was all decked out in it but it wasn't even the bulk of their presentation.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now I have no idea how Wasteland 2 would run on a console and I know certain folks who played it on PC don't like it... But that's a drat good game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Lodin posted:

Now I have no idea how Wasteland 2 would run on a console and I know certain folks who played it on PC don't like it... But that's a drat good game.

It's almost certainly a must buy for me. If the controls are wonky I'll get over it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't think I've ever read a Ben Kuchera article where at the end of it I felt like I had read anything of value. Didn't he write the article about how amazing the Ouya was when he was sitting in a hotel room just running emulators off of it? And then he got fired from Penny Arcade?

His crowning achievement was the article where he compared holding the Dual Shock 3 to holding his child for the first time.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lodin posted:

It's also on the Xbox One and I think the PC's Directors Cut has joystick functionality.

But yeah, it's a pretty good game although it's combat is pretty mediocre.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

njsykora posted:

His crowning achievement was the article where he compared holding the Dual Shock 3 to holding his child for the first time.

As in poo poo coming out of his arse 'crowning'?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Fallout tried to emulate Wasteland? I thought it was the other way around.

Wasteland is quite a bit older than FO1

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mutant Standard posted:

It's also on the Xbox One and I think the PC's Directors Cut has joystick functionality.

But yeah, it's a pretty good game although it's combat is pretty mediocre.

I played through like 2/3rds of it on PS4 and, while I liked it as a game, the performance on consoles and the bugs made it kind of a hard suggestion to make to other people.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He says Nintendo only showed off Mario Odyssey at E3 which is just completely factually incorrect. Their booth was all decked out in it but it wasn't even the bulk of their presentation.

Could be a difference in perception from being on the New Donk City/Great Plateau show floor vs watching the Treehouse direct covering multiple games, but you'd think a games journalist would analyze both. Also, BotW and SMO were two of the most significant new entries in two of the most significant game franchises. Whatever else you think about them, BotW and SMO are probably the most talked about Zelda/Mario games since the N64. Like, if you can give Nintendo's marketing poo poo for highlighting a mortifyingly embarrassing Wii Music one E3, which turned out to be a critical and commercial failure, you gotta give them credit for recognizing BotW and SMO were going to be special and highlighting and focusing on them two E3s consecutively and spacing out their releases so they don't compete with each other.

In conclusion, the Switch is good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Man. Somehow I didn't think of it before now, but I want Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the Switch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

John Lee posted:

Man. Somehow I didn't think of it before now, but I want Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the Switch.

I would bet that will happen at one point.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
If the Switch for 2018 just releases games that were on the Wii U and comes out with achievements I will be happy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

obi_ant posted:

I'm planning to pick up a Switch with Xenoblade, Zelda and Mario. What are some "must have" accessories I should pick up along with the Switch?

Pro Controller. Carrying case and screen protector too unless you never undock it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Kuchera is a hack, quit giving him clicks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anything but CLICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anyone played The End Is Nigh yet? Is it different enough from Super Meat Boy that someone who hated that game but otherwise likes Edmund games could get oh, 3 or 4 hundred hours out of?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pro Controller. Carrying case and screen protector too unless you never undock it.

Also make sure you buy the Xenoblade-themed Pro controller. They loving finally fixed the D-pad on that one (someone on reddit did a tear down to confirm.)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Pinball FX3 is a perfect use case for HD rumble. When the ball is rolling down the table, hitting a bumper, hitting the flippers, etc. it all feels different and appropriate. Definitely a nice little upgrade over standard vibration. I hope the Bethesda tables come soon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

creationist believer posted:

Like, if you can give Nintendo's marketing poo poo for highlighting a mortifyingly embarrassing Wii Music one E3, which turned out to be a critical and commercial failure
Hey, you gotta give them credit for... Ravi Drums? Was that his name? The dude from that one gif. That guy made one good gif.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

enojy posted:

Anyone played The End Is Nigh yet? Is it different enough from Super Meat Boy that someone who hated that game but otherwise likes Edmund games could get oh, 3 or 4 hundred hours out of?

I have been marathoning it all day and I love it. I guess it depends on what you hated about Super Meat Boy -- it's a very similar collection of difficult single-screen platforming challenges (and I'm not quite even to the Real poo poo yet but I'm gonna go ahead and call it more difficult than SMB) but the physics are different, your moveset is different, and there's slightly (but only slightly) more of a focus on puzzling stuff out & exploration than there is on pure speed and twitch. I think it's awesome so far but I also loved Super Meat Boy so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Calaveron posted:

God I just love how Nintendo's philosophy now is "hey here's this super awesome game we just announced for the first time ever. It will be out in six months

I'm more impressed at how they prevent leaks on games that are in development for like 3 years.

• Locked thread