Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m deciding right now that I don’t care about 100%ing this game when I get to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You have to play the standalone roguelike mode anyways for the canon canon canon ending ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just youtube the secret ending imo. On a normal playthrough, if you do a decent chunk of sidequests, you should be fine getting the good ending in one go.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
People who go for 100% story completion despite not liking the story are weird.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m deciding right now that I don’t care about 100%ing this game when I get to it

the only thing you get for 100% is some extra scenes after the regular ending. you can just youtube them if you want. just do the stuff that seems fun or cool! if you ever really wanna do it you can but it's a fun, cheery game that will be ruined if you follow some rear end in a top hat's step-by-step guide.

like, doing 100% in one run: tedious, sucks, requires lots of bad minigames
100% in new game plus: just play the game a second time probably and you're good

getting 100% also used to change stuff in LAST MISSION but they removed the requirement for that and you don't have to worry about it. just have fun, x2 is good!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gigglefeimer posted:

X-2 is one of my top four FF stories so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gigglefeimer posted:

Fortunately FFX-2 is one of the greatest stories ever told.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately FFX-2 is one of the greatest stories ever told.

I like the part where the final conclusion consists of the main character beating on the doppelganger of her dead boyfriend. Can't get more blatant about the theme of 'moving on' than that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

FFX-2 is amazing. Here, let me tell you why.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It goes against the game's main theme of learning to accept loss and moving on!

She accepted it and moved on, just that the Fayth weren't assholes about it this time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

it's actually necessary because if you can't evade charm, the final boss spams it and the end of romancing saga 2 is your party killing itself forever

That seems like the kind of thing that should get changed or removed in remakes like this... :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Evil Fluffy posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that should get changed or removed in remakes like this... :(

Welcum 2 SaGa Bich

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

*Laughs Kawazuly*

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Speaking of true endings, lol episode Ignis

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I forgot that was out. I should probably finish up Prompto.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

Speaking of true endings, lol episode Ignis

Dude, it's so loving rad. Ignis forces a good end through sheer force of loyalty. The only people who die are Luna and Ardyn, and one of those two wanted to die anyway

EDIT: Also gameplay wise Ignis is rad. These four boys are so cool and fun.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Gladio's playstyle super sucks to use on more than one large opponent but Prompto and Ignis translate super well into the main game.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

X-2 has a bunch of interesting split paths in how the various area scenarios can turn out depending on your actions that no one has ever seen because everyone plays with the 100% guide

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

it's actually necessary because if you can't evade charm, the final boss spams it and the end of romancing saga 2 is your party killing itself forever

That reminds me of when I got stonewalled by the final boss of SaGa Frontier 2 spamming an AoE petrify move that was impossible to keep up with. Fortunately in that case I only had to reload a save from the beginning of the last dungeon to kill the earth miniboss (there were 4 minibosses that would each lock some of the end boss's moves, but you could only kill 2 of them in one run), not restart the entire game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
X2 also had awful music

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Thats not true, there's lots of things you can do to deal with that besides learning evade charm.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calaveron posted:

X2 also had awful music

It did have a lot of awful music, but 1000 Words makes up for it imo. Leblanc's theme was fun too iirc

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just think the battle system is a lot of fun. :shobon: Where's my FF-job crew at.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The final boss of RS2 has a skill that charms all men, and also a single-target spell that charms a single person of either sex.

It is pretty fuckin rude and if you aren't prepared it'll kill you 100%. But while getting everyone to evade charm is one way to make this a non-issue, so is casting the spell that hastes everyone and lets you skip the enemy's turn, or various other things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

Thats not true, there's lots of things you can do to deal with that besides learning evade charm.

i guess you can use resist equipment but a lot of the time, that's not 100% reliable like evades or an all girl party i think? not that it helps if you don't go to the final area with that party in mind

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Bogart posted:

I just think the battle system is a lot of fun. :shobon: Where's my FF-job crew at.

X-2 does do job classes best, yeah, even though the main game itself does a piss-poor job of telling us what a Garment Grid or Dressphere actually is or how it functions. Could Leblanc summon aeons (or hologram copies of aeons) because she could spherechange into Yuna's Summoner outfit with her Garment Grid (and how is this separate from a Dressphere)? If yes, why can't we? Why bother trying to track down specifically sized uniforms if you can just nab a goon's Garment Grid and impersonate them perfectly? What is a Garment Grid in-world, and how does one equip it? If Paine's default outfit and job are a Dressphere, and she's shown wearing the same outfit in the Crimson Spheres, is the Warrior dressphere a sphere of Paine herself? Wouldn't she have those skills already, then?

I realize there probably aren't answers for a lot of this and that, ultimately, it's all pixels on a screen yada yada just play the game; but grumbling about in-universe logic is fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i thought it was a lukewarm use of job classes. i thought the way it did AP was smart, and i liked the idea of getting bonuses from garment grids, and unlocking small boosts, but in the end it was way too much micromanagement. i prefer 5: set everything up ahead of time, make any combination you like and can use your abilities on demand. no need to micro between however many job classes to be able to benefit from everything you've set up beforehand. i don't remember if you even get a bonus for mastering a class, so the bonus must've been really unimpressive, if anything at all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The best implementation of the job system is still FFT. FFIII was way too basic, FFV is still a bit too restrictive. FFX-2 still only lets you use one job at a time, so you can't find fun and interesting synergies by having a White Mage Ninja or dual-wielding spellblader or whatever. FFT got it just about perfect.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yo what the hell is the theme that plays during the extra verse boss fight against Ardyn? It's extremely good but I can't find it anywhere. I was able to find the theme of the Episode, and United Front, and Ravus' theme, but I can't find that one.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i thought it was a lukewarm use of job classes. i thought the way it did AP was smart, and i liked the idea of getting bonuses from garment grids, and unlocking small boosts, but in the end it was way too much micromanagement. i prefer 5: set everything up ahead of time, make any combination you like and can use your abilities on demand. no need to micro between however many job classes to be able to benefit from everything you've set up beforehand. i don't remember if you even get a bonus for mastering a class, so the bonus must've been really unimpressive, if anything at all.

The key to X-2 is to ignore the bonuses for moving to every class on the Garment Grid (except maybe the one that leads to each girl's 'super class') and just use one that lets you get to your useful jobs for each character the quickest. Like a lot of FFX-2, its good when you just sit down and enjoy it and don't try to dig too deep into it (also see: just playing the game instead of looking for completion)

Schwartzcough posted:

The best implementation of the job system is still FFT. FFIII was way too basic, FFV is still a bit too restrictive. FFX-2 still only lets you use one job at a time, so you can't find fun and interesting synergies by having a White Mage Ninja or dual-wielding spellblader or whatever. FFT got it just about perfect.

FFT's job system was grotesquely too grindy for what it was. Most JP costs needed to be halved, if not quartered. There just aren't ways to make the JP to you need to unlock jobs and abilities in a timely fashion without grinding dozens of fights or some exploitative setup. Only if you knew, like, exactly what job and what abilities from what you you wanted from a character was it even remotely doable.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

X-2 does do job classes best, yeah, even though the main game itself does a piss-poor job of telling us what a Garment Grid or Dressphere actually is or how it functions. Could Leblanc summon aeons (or hologram copies of aeons) because she could spherechange into Yuna's Summoner outfit with her Garment Grid (and how is this separate from a Dressphere)? If yes, why can't we? Why bother trying to track down specifically sized uniforms if you can just nab a goon's Garment Grid and impersonate them perfectly? What is a Garment Grid in-world, and how does one equip it? If Paine's default outfit and job are a Dressphere, and she's shown wearing the same outfit in the Crimson Spheres, is the Warrior dressphere a sphere of Paine herself? Wouldn't she have those skills already, then?

I realize there probably aren't answers for a lot of this and that, ultimately, it's all pixels on a screen yada yada just play the game; but grumbling about in-universe logic is fun.

The Garment Grid and dresspheres are a technology Shinra developed, meaning they're only really available to Yuna and the Gullwings; the whole point of the opening sequence is that Leblanc stole Yuna's and was using it to impersonate her. How it allowed her to precisely mimic Yuna's appearance (or take on Yuna's mode of dress from FFX) isn't adequately explained, but it can probably be excused as being an external justification created after the opening FMV had already been produced. S-E has a bad tendency to create a bunch of flashy animations and then haphazardly smash them into a game that has since undergone six or seven full rewrites.

Dresspheres themselves are a kind of proto-materia; rather than containing the memory of a single spell or ability, they contain an array of memories from a single person. The garment grid is a system to translate these memories into a usable set of skills, though don't ask me what the physical object looks like. I would assume it's like a big stone tablet, but it'd have to be huge to be able to hold 2-6 fist-sized spheres. Yuna herself is sort of a poster child for why the system is a terrible idea, since the memory of Lenne basically possesses her at various points throughout the game. Granted in that case it was either harmless (in the beginning of the game when she starts dancing uncontrollably) or beneficial, (leading her to Shuyin / the Thunder Plains performance) there's no guarantee every one will work that way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
FFV = FFTA > T > > X-2 > the rest of 'em, I think, far as job systems are concerned. I've not played 12, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Welcum 2 SaGa Bich

I've played lots of SaGa games and know I should know better, but at least I know to just grind the dumb skill when I buy this after I finish Xenoblade... eventually.

Bogart posted:

FFV = FFTA > T > > X-2 > the rest of 'em, I think, far as job systems are concerned. I've not played 12, though.

FFD's job system was decent. The limit on job level as you played through the game was a little annoying but it did ensure people didn't grind jobs to a high level early on since they didn't need the firepower.

Job level max should've just gone up universally as you progressed, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

i guess you can use resist equipment but a lot of the time, that's not 100% reliable like evades or an all girl party i think? not that it helps if you don't go to the final area with that party in mind

There's two 100% charm resist rings, iirc, and also a party member who can't be charmed. All girl party avoids the party charm attack but not the single-target one.

Alternatively, like I said, you can abuse your own overpowered skills and just smash it to death :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The character switching is a bit meh in FFXV

For one Gladio is very hard to use because if I understand correctly, you need to time your blocks, this is really hard because enemies in the main game often have really hard to read windups.

Ignis feels bit broken. He can stay in the air indefinitely against large monsters and against magiteks you hold down the attack and watch him go Ninja Gaiden on everyone in Storm stance or whatever

It definitely feels like some of the intended gameplay curve is lost

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The way 5 handles mastering a class is super dumb. It removes choice from the game and it's super grindy. 10-2 keeps a balance so that there is no one clear best choice for dressphere and garment grid.

Mr. Locke posted:

The key to X-2 is to ignore the bonuses for moving to every class on the Garment Grid (except maybe the one that leads to each girl's 'super class') and just use one that lets you get to your useful jobs for each character the quickest. Like a lot of FFX-2, its good when you just sit down and enjoy it and don't try to dig too deep into it (also see: just playing the game instead of looking for completion)
Garment Grid bonuses are easily ignorable, but they can be super fun if you really dig deep into them. There's a lot of great abilities there to take advantage of to really switch up the gameplay. It's not for everyone, but I've enjoyed slowing down and taking a more methodical approach to X-2 battles using everything at my disposal.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 13, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish I had friends as cool as Rikku and Paine IRL.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

5 is the best for jobs but only if you're playing by fiesta rules.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Arist posted:

5 is the best for jobs but only if you're playing by fiesta rules.

My dude, have you ever played X-2 like this:

-NG+ with all dresspheres mastered, but otherwise treated like a new game
-Dresspheres for YRP randomly selected at the start of each chapter
-KO and Petrify are permanent, remove the afflicted member at the end of the battle
-No resets, you only have one shot at this
-First Steps only, no accessories
-No running from battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no because that sounds complicated and dumb

also i've never played x-2 past the intro