Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
For anyone with a Novation Circuit (everyone, right? they're awesome) here's a really neat way of turning it into a 51 knob sequencing VST controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuzyHjpSANk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Are there any freeware FM synths with changeable waveforms? I just downloaded Dexed, it seems really powerful but it's 'only' sines and that interface is hurting my brain with how much info it's conveying. 4 operators would more than suffice I think.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Are there any freeware FM synths with changeable waveforms? I just downloaded Dexed, it seems really powerful but it's 'only' sines and that interface is hurting my brain with how much info it's conveying. 4 operators would more than suffice I think.

FMMF claims to, but I never had much luck getting it to work properly. I believe VOPM also does, but the interface for that one is completely inscrutable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks, FM is probably the hardest synthesis type to convey well on a GUI, I have been struck by the sudden urge to make some stupid Russian hardbass and that's FM with a triangle wave apparently. Most tutorials are on (almost certainly) cracked versions of FL Studio using whatever the FM synth is that comes with that.

I've got Komplete 6 on dvds lying around at my parents' somewhere and used to use FM8 which was pretty useable, just wondered of there was a free n easy option to make a donk with whilst sat on the sofa with my laptop and Live Lite.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I picked up Komplete 11 Ultimate today as an upgrade from Komplete 8. I noted that the symphonic essentials libraries are somewhat lacking. Are there other current recommended symphonic/choir VSTs apart from the 8Dio and Spitfire Audio collections? :homebrew:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Richlove posted:

I picked up Komplete 11 Ultimate today as an upgrade from Komplete 8. I noted that the symphonic essentials libraries are somewhat lacking. Are there other current recommended symphonic/choir VSTs apart from the 8Dio and Spitfire Audio collections? :homebrew:

ProjectSAM for both; different packages with different approaches. Rather pricey, though, if you want one of their full series. Also, Best Service has some interesting choir options... https://www.bestservice.com/virtual_instruments/choirs.html

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If you're missing solo strings (which Komplete does suck for), Embertone's stuff is just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClNjn0eHHc

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's also this beauty that came out this year. I'd combine it with Embertone's Joshua Bell violin for glorious quartet pieces.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Not a VST but here's a bunch of samples for 40 bucks

https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-products-from-mars

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

Not a VST but here's a bunch of samples for 40 bucks

https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-products-from-mars

u fucker

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
christ i have so many vintage drum machine packs now I cant even

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I've got way too many of those for how little I actually care for vintage sounds

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I'm a sucker for a sale. Actually just spent some money in the UAD store too. :-/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone talk me out of buying a UAD interface and some of their pluggins...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a UAD interface and some of their pluggins...

It is very expensive and will take literally all of your money.

but oh god it sounds amazing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh but it is absolutely a gateway drug situation. You get the Apollo Twin Duo and you're like "holy poo poo this sounds like sex but I keep running out of processing power, I'ma just buy one of those octo processor things on the side".

True story. Happened to an idiot I knew (me). I ended up spending a lot of money I didn't particularly intend to, but when I fire up the Fender Tweed with the Echoplex running into the Moog filter and the AKG BX 20 and run it through Ocean Way I just forget the fact that I live in an alley now.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I went sort of nuts on Black Friday deals, and ended up buying Softube Modular - and a bunch of add ons (the Korgasmatron, U-Fold, PEG, and that Buchla thing).

I have no idea what I'm doing, but connecting the modules together and making awful screeching sounds is fun.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Welp, Aurturia just dropped V6 of their collection. Upgraded piano, DX7, Fairlight CMI, clavinet and the Buchla Music Easel.

Unfortunately my upgrade price from V5 is apparently $200 so I can't really justify it right now. Hopefully there will be a sale at some point.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Welp, Aurturia just dropped V6 of their collection. Upgraded piano, DX7, Fairlight CMI, clavinet and the Buchla Music Easel.

Unfortunately my upgrade price from V5 is apparently $200 so I can't really justify it right now. Hopefully there will be a sale at some point.

The Buchla eh? Interesting...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Motherfucker.

Wasn't v5 really recent? I feel like I just upgraded a year ago or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh oops that was two years ago. But it was version 4 :-/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

200€ here, which is pretty steep for an upgrade considering I paid the same amount last year to upgrade to V5 :whitewater: I want that CMI V ridiculously badly though, so I might shell out 100€ for it on its own and just.. not upgrade the V Collection.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

200€ here, which is pretty steep for an upgrade considering I paid the same amount last year to upgrade to V5 :whitewater: I want that CMI V ridiculously badly though, so I might shell out 100€ for it on its own and just.. not upgrade the V Collection.

That is kind of painful considering it's $250 for me, and I still have V4.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Motherfucker. I still recommend playing the sampler game, it's good ear training. Sixth level (8x8 grid of jazz chords) was absolutely insane.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I bought a Minilab mk2 ages ago for about 100 euro and upgraded the free analog lab lite it came with to analog lab 2 for 30 euro. I then crossgraded up to Collection V 6 for 249 euro. So it still ended up cheaper than retail and I got a keyboard in the bargain. Pretty nice.

I wasn't going to bother with the pack until I played that CS80 emulation and had my socks blown off.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I took the dive on V Collection. Loving the Buchla so much I haven't had time to figure out any of these other plugins.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I dropped the cash too. I made the leap from V3 so there's a ton I get to play with. Looking forward to locking myself in a room and diving in for a few days.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The CS-80 is my spirit animal, but the buchla is amazing fun. Loving the pads on the matrix too. It's a great collection that gives you so many creative avenues. I just spent all of yesterday playing chord sequences in the different synths and endlessly tweaking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So what MIDI controllers are you guys using for your soft synths? I quite like the Launch Control XL as it gives me an almost 1:1 mapping on a minimoog and prophet v with a quick editor that lets me do custom lights and stuff. I have a BCR2000 kicking around too, but I prefer the smaller, neater form factor of the Launch Control. Anyone use anything different and soft-synth dedicated?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Nope, all mouse.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For playing melodies I need keys. For moving knobs - nah. To me it's just not that much faster.

Perhaps it'd make a difference with properly pre-mapped controllers like Komplete Kontrol or something but I've got a Roland A300 Pro here and it's just too much :effort:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Laserjet 4P posted:

For playing melodies I need keys. For moving knobs - nah. To me it's just not that much faster.
Same. I've tried so many different types of controllers and I keep coming back to the Roland A-49. I need full-sized velocity-sensitive keys for playing/recording, but any time I end up with mappable physical knobs/faders/pads, I never use them. I just use way too many plugins to invest time into mapping their controls.

I even have Steinberg's CC121 DAW controller and rarely use that- although when I am doing a lot of repetitive audio editing I sometimes program its macro buttons to do audio processing actions so I can just select audio and process it very quickly. But I am just so much faster using a mouse for most stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have an A-500 that I love dearly, but the last couple of years I haven't had room for it. I like to blame that for all my musical troubles :tinfoil:

Obviously when it all boils down, it's subjective since people work in different ways. Even when I had the controller, I was still doing most of my tweaking with a mouse and keyboard. If you're the type who likes to record live and twiddle knobs in realtime then a mouse just isn't going to cut it (in terms of precision, timing, tactical feedback, everything) and likewise, if you want to experiment realtime with melodies spanning multiple octaves and using stuff like velocity sensitivity and/or aftertouch then you also really need some proper keys.

If you're like me and have no musical talent whatsoever enjoy just making beeps and boops then moving stuff around on the piano roll and making deliberate changes in the DAW works fine too, really. I still lowkey blame it for limiting my ~*~creative potential~*~ but honestly I don't know if I could do any better with proper knobs and sliders, after all people have made much more impressive stuff with much more limited tools! :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 11, 2017

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Just updated to the Arturia V6 collection and I'm loving it so far. Amongst everything else, I'm really surprised by the quality of the piano. I'm almost tempted to buy a footswitch for a sustain pedal for it.
Also was able to fulfil my childhood dreams of having a Fairlight CMI by getting this. :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

You know that feeling when you're loving around with the sequencer on the buchla and start ramping up the randomness and you finally realise the sound you've been missing all your life? Well it's a good one.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Has there ever been an album made of creations by people in this thread? I've seen a couple in the hardware synth thread, but it would give people like me a good excuse to show off our (lack of) musical talent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

im_sorry posted:

Has there ever been an album made of creations by people in this thread? I've seen a couple in the hardware synth thread, but it would give people like me a good excuse to show off our (lack of) musical talent.

I'd be down for this.

Or maybe a "limit yourself to one plugin + percussion" sort of challenge.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

What is the difference between all of the EQ VSTs besides looks? Is there anything that makes one EQ VST better than another, besides more bands?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm by no means an EQ expert but: some are transparent, some are designed to mimic specific analog hardware. Some give you more control over the shape of the curve. Some might give you the option of having separate curves for left/right channels and/or mid/side channels. Some may have a built in spectral analyzer so you can see a visual representation of how the EQ is affecting the audio in real time. Interface differences can also have a significant impact on ease of use.

Some also may have additional novel features. One that comes to mind is Eventide EQuivocate (they were offering it for free a few months ago). It has a sidechain input you can send audio to. While you have it listen to the audio, it adjusts the EQ curve to match the average curve of the audio you send it. You can then adjust the strength of the match from 100% to -100% (which completely inverts the curve). Pretty useful and quick for cutting the prominent frequencies of one track in another track in order to give the first track space in the mix (inverting the curve), and also can be used the other way to make one track sound more like another track (matching the curve).

Honestly, if you use Live, the latest version of EQ8 is pretty drat good. I wouldn't drop money on an EQ plugin unless there's a very specific feature you know you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think with EQ, unless you are going for 'analog warmth' or 'colour' most of it comes down to personal preference and workflow. Unless I'm doing something extreme to a sound, 90% of the time Cubase's channel eq is what I use because it's already there in place ready to go. Occasionally I'll need more bands but it's not often, in which case I use Fabfilter's Pro-Q2 because it's big and graphical.