Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

No Mods No Masters posted:

phasma also dies

This is another big example of the bait and switch. The books and secondary media went into her personality and made it seem like she was a treacherous and dangerous threat to both sides of the conflict who would potentially even turn on Snoke due to the situation within the FO and her own personal sense of morals. Instead her and Snoke are both dead. :confuoot:

It's so utterly bizarre how they cannibalized their own backstory they have to be thinking about doing future episode movies in the short-term and maybe extending this. The Marvel treatment perhaps? Those movies also had expendable villains and scenarios with a sense of just "on-to-the-next".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Perhaps the point is that machinations and politicking and the deepstate dont matter if a destructive short sighted idiot can get the keys to the whole operation.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
There are exactly three good Star War movies floating in a sea of piss and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Barudak posted:

Perhaps the point is that machinations and politicking and the deepstate dont matter if a destructive short sighted idiot can get the keys to the whole operation.

i am sure thats what they will go with and i am ok with that.

disjoe posted:

I don't think you need EU exposure to be upset about Snoke.

I think killing Snoke so unceremoniously is dumb. As an audience member watching TFA I want to know more about the mysterious deformed man that makes himself huge via projection and is obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker. It's not some clever twist, it's just a bait and switch. Snoke could've easily been replaced with some random former Imperial officer and Kylo Ren could've trained himself.

id have to see the full film to get the context but, i am ok with it. he is just a weird old dark sider that managed to scare/bribe/talk the imperial remnant into starting his own little empire and since he was the only force user left(that isnt luke) so he find ben and gas lights his rear end into thinking he is some super force user. idk.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aaaand archived. Much appreciated.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

disjoe posted:

I don't think you need EU exposure to be upset about Snoke.

I think killing Snoke so unceremoniously is dumb. As an audience member watching TFA I want to know more about the mysterious deformed man that makes himself huge via projection and is obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker. It's not some clever twist, it's just a bait and switch. Snoke could've easily been replaced with some random former Imperial officer and Kylo Ren could've trained himself.

Yeah. It's yet another example of building something up, but then having no idea how to capitalize and really make something out of it. All foreplay and frustration, no sweet, sweet release.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id have to see the full film to get the context

fair

me neither

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

They make the films mostly on the fly and the books and extra material pad it out but have no effect on how the films turn out, there isn't some kind of grand unified story they're trying to tell here it's just a big movie franchise, sorry. At best they'll have some idea of how the trilogy should set up the next 12 films.

Fwiw I didn't find anything at all shocking in the spoilers, Luke dies but he's old as gently caress and wasn't doing anything anyway so yeah no poo poo, i doubt any of the OG characters make it out alive.

Snook was just some evil hologram who did gently caress all whereS kylo is an actual character so yeah makes sense Kylo takes over from him. Don't really know what people are on about w his mystery, he's a big bad guy who taught Kylo the evil force, got it.

Before the prequels was the emperor mysteriois? Not really, he was an evil dude who was Vader's boss, same thing here. We didn't know his origins but we knew who he was and what purpose he served.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The way Snoke is done is pretty satisfying. The film doesn't attempt to imply that he's anything more than what he is - a probably powerful old bastard in a chair. He dies the way he lived. It's a bait and switch but it's one that works quite well given the Kylo Ren that replaces him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Before the prequels was the emperor mysteriois? Not really, he was an evil dude who was Vader's boss, same thing here. We didn't know his origins but we knew who he was and what purpose he served.

very true.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am hype as gently caress for the audible gasps that 500+ people will emit at the IMAX screening this Thursday night when Snoke gets punked like a biiiiiiiiitch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonz posted:

I am hype as gently caress for the audible gasps that 500+ people will emit at the IMAX screening this Thursday night when Snoke gets punked like a biiiiiiiiitch.

Got a huge cheer and round of applause for me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

nopantsjack posted:

Sure, but the distinction is that a sequel isn't just inventing the way things are, it's elaborating on what came before. “There is an evil Empire controlling the galaxy” is perfectly fine in the absence of any existing context. “The Empire was defeated, so it disappeared but now it's back and eviler and more powerful for no particular reason” is not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

The way Snoke is done is pretty satisfying. The film doesn't attempt to imply that he's anything more than what he is - a probably powerful old bastard in a chair. He dies the way he lived. It's a bait and switch but it's one that works quite well given the Kylo Ren that replaces him.

ok thats good and cool. how is the movie in general? you dont have to spoil everything. just like was it good or not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok thats good and cool. how is the movie in general? you dont have to spoil everything. just like was it good or not.

Yeah it's good. There's a few less good bits in the middle act and some bits came off as crowd-pleasey for the sake of it, but it's a lot more tight than TFA plot-wise and overall I enjoyed it more.

Gonz posted:

WHAT about the scene where Leia does her best Kal-El, Last Son of Krypton impression?

A few gasps but mostly silence. It looks dumb.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Got a huge cheer and round of applause for me.

What about the scene where Leia does her best Kal-El, Last Son of Krypton impression?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah it's good. There's a few less good bits in the middle act and some bits came off as crowd-pleasey for the sake of it, but it's a lot more tight than TFA plot-wise and overall I enjoyed it more.

good. so its not empire 2.0 which is what i was afraid of.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Luke even told us that this is not going to go the way we think. He was being literal, turns out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
We knew more about Palpatine than we did about Snoke in the first two films, even if they were both the same sort of archetype.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah the central peril that the film revolves around isn't miles from ESB but it's really well done. There's like, actual tension and poo poo for the whole length of the film.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zoran posted:

Sure, but the distinction is that a sequel isn't just inventing the way things are, it's elaborating on what came before. “There is an evil Empire controlling the galaxy” is perfectly fine in the absence of any existing context. “The Empire was defeated, so it disappeared but now it's back and eviler and more powerful for no particular reason” is not.

Sure, I'm not saying the new movies are narratively coherent with the rest of the series because they are not. That in particular makes no sense. However snoke getting immediately owned by Kyle doesn't actually change or contradict anything about his character as portrayed in TFA.

The new films are Disney trying to make a decades long franchise out of the films and shuffling between new directors, it's almost all going to be fanservice of some kind and some bits are gonna be decent and some bits are gonna be dreck and there's not going to be a single stable story between them all.

This trilogy is likely just a stop gap to see off all the old characters and start New Star Wars with those little pogs critters and new toys but likely still stormtroopers and x wings.

It's just a blockbuster series like Transformers or Fast and Furious it's not a modern mythological saga.

Compare it to Marvel, only a lunatic would obsess over whether Iron Man 7 is thematically consistent with Iron Man: Origins 2, the correct thing to do is see them or don't but settle in for the long haul because there's going to be hundreds more and you should take enjoyment where you can get it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

All that's left is to drop a planet on Chewie and R2 and C3pO and Lando. But we all know that they can't be bothered to bring Billy Dee back for whatever reason.

Which is really not cool. :colbert:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
And then there's this...

https://pastebin.com/WNKvjtgz

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Hugs?

General HUGS.

Poe basically running a telemarketer prank?

No wonder all the Marvel comparisons came out, wow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like new canon alot, but i loving hate the title "the resistance". like the rebel alliance is good and sounds like a name or shorthand. the resistance is just eh. idk.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Do they ever explain why Luke's cybernetic hand has no flesh on it? I don't know why that bothers me but it does.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Do they ever explain why Luke's cybernetic hand has no flesh on it? I don't know why that bothers me but it does.

probably because he doesn't give a poo poo anymore and also it looks cool and is way easier to do now than it was in the 80's.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Milky Moor posted:

We knew more about Palpatine than we did about Snoke in the first two films, even if they were both the same sort of archetype.

Now, to be fair, the name Palpatine wasn't even in any of the OT films, just the novelization. In ANH all you know about the emperor is that he exists. In ESB, he's in one scene. I don't believe Lucas even really decided to make him an actual Big Bad until ROTJ.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
"Strike me down and I will always be with you."

Paraphrased, but Johnson is trying to tell us even if we end Luke Skywalker now, the character will always be with the audience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TremorX posted:

Now, to be fair, the name Palpatine wasn't even in any of the OT films, just the novelization. In ANH all you know about the emperor is that he exists. In ESB, he's in one scene. I don't believe Lucas even really decided to make him an actual Big Bad until ROTJ.

gently caress. i forgot about that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Steve2911 posted:

Yea I don't see the issue in this. It's a bait and switch but it's one that advances things, and...Snoke was literally never implied to be anything more than a powerful guy who Kylo served? He was never played up as the new Palpatine or whatever, no one spoke about Snoke as some great leader or whatever. Obviously people expected him to turn out to be that but...I dunno I like that they clearly set that expectation up to be subverted.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TremorX posted:

The whole point of Empire was bringing Luke to the emperor.....

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

No Mods No Masters posted:

It really can't be stated strongly enough how garbage maz kanata is

She's so much the "Magic Negro" trope they even decided to have an African-Mexican women playing her.

mastershakeman posted:

this movie isn't about rey, its about kylo. rey is just a mary sue so w/e

That bullshit statement I would expect from your avatar. People really should read up what "Mary Sue" means before throwing it around willy-nilly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think hes more referring to how the emperor was, in the initial drafts, a bit of a chump and just a regular pwrson. Just like Jerjerrods role changed significantly in all the revisions and originally Obi-wan used the force to manifest himself for a final duel.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah and Snoke spends most of TLJ manipulating Rey and Kylo to bring her to him.

Their characters are nigh on identical, the main difference being that we see Snoke in the flesh and hear him speak a bunch and he dies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If you read through the leaked dialogue/subtitles pastebin, I swear Snoke even repeats a bunch of the Emperor's lines, practically verbatim.

The big thing that seperates Sheev from Snoke is that little bit at the beginning of ROTJ, where Vader says that the Moff can explain it to the Emperor when he arrives in person. And there's that little pause, that look of fear, and he's like "The Emperor... is coming here?" And he immediately goes from pleading to bootlicking. Even this guy who thinks he can risk standing up to Lord Vader won't risk anything.

Snoke... sits on a throne?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 13, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I saw The Last Jedi at LucasFilm today. AMA.

And by AMA I mean ask me if it's good.

It is. Really, really good.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 13, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Milky Moor posted:

The big thing that seperates Sheev from Snoke is that little bit at the beginning of ROTJ, where Vader says that the Moff can explain it to the Emperor when he arrives in person. And there's that little pause, that look of fear, and he's like "The Emperor... is coming here?" And he immediately goes from pleading to bootlicking. Even this guy who thinks he can risk standing up to Lord Vader won't risk anything.

That's basically the relationship between Hux, Kylo and Snoke though (that's a dumb sentence). It's played slightly more comedically than forebodingly, but Hux treats Kylo like a little poo poo at the start of the film and gets a holo-bollocking from Snoke's massive face and goes back to grovelling. Difference being that Hux still doesn't care about Kylo until he becomes the new flavour.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TremorX posted:

In ANH all you know about the emperor is that he exists. In ESB, he's in one scene.
From the movies alone and in release order, we know that he exists and is powerful and ruthless enough to disband the Senate to make way for ruling the galaxy via fear of the Death Star.

His appearance in ESB establishes his complete dominance over Vader and how he views Luke as a threat.

Coming into ROTJ, I think anyone who had watched only the previous two movies saw him as a sufficiently evil character who was going to pose a real threat to our heroes the moment Vader informs Jerjerod that the Emperor is coming to the Death Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

#Reylo

• Locked thread