Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's what non-Victorian teams have to do to put off players jumping back to a Melbourne team, for bottom 6 cap space overs plus media money, the first time their contract runs out after their breakout season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

It's what non-Victorian teams have to do to put off players jumping back to a Melbourne team, for bottom 6 cap space overs plus media money, the first time their contract runs out after their breakout season.

Yes, because no one asks to go home under contract.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A contract at least prevents them from loving off for nothing, which is better than a constant stream of players flowing back to Melbourne on no-compensation 2 year free agency.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It's those perfidious Victorians again!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There are 10 teams in Victoria, from a league of 18; at any given time, it's a reasonable expectation 2+ of them are going to be in the bottom 6, looking to boost their squad, and because of depressed wages for squad players, having the cap space to do it; most of the football media is based on Melbourne, which means most of the media opportunities are in Melbourne, and all of the sponsors largely only care about viewers in Melbourne and Sydney, which means the majority of the personal sponsorship dollars are in Melbourne, particularly for headline talent.

it's an entirely inequitable system, but as long as the system keeps helping the have-not VFL clubs with memberships gasping for success win premierships, and boost what would otherwise be flagging crowds and ratings in Melbourne, they won't change a thing about it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 12, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Or maybe Melbourne is the best city and players want to live there. Or the players don't want to be separated from their friends and family at that point in their lives. Or they just don't like the club they are currently playing for and want to play for another.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The club extended Louge's contract like that last year (our top 10 pick from last year), a big part of it is taking some pressure of the player with high expectations and showing that the club has faith in them.

In the end you'd be very disappointed if a first round pick was wanting out after 2 years anyway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Melbourne and regional Victoria also has like 4 times the population of Adelaide going for it. If anything, it's Adelaide clubs that are being subsidised.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

Melbourne and regional Victoria also has like 4 times the population of Adelaide going for it. If anything, it's Adelaide clubs that are being subsidised.

:laffo:

"Hey this entire state has a bigger population than your capital city! Suck it up SAilures."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

4 times the population

5 times the teams

10000x the advantages

It's equitable because the majority of supporters are Victorian so other states don't get anything because the majority of supporters are Victorian so other states don't get anything because the majority of supporters are Victorian so other states don't get anything...

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Periphery posted:

Or maybe Melbourne is the best city and players want to live there.

I'm not sure if "we're the best" is really a good response to the (quite real) claims of advantage Melbourne-based teams get.

Yeah, we all know Melbourne is a great city. So is Adelaide. We also know that Melbourne has several times the population that Adelaide has and that the ratio of 10:2 teams isn't that out of line with the population ratios. That's not the real problem. The real problem is that the overwhelming majority of media and sponsorship opportunities exist in Melbourne. In a competition where everything else is equalised, systemic advantages like that become magnified. It's a genuine problem for those clubs not based in Melbourne, and pulling out a "we're #2 in the world rankings and you're only #6 so no wonder people are leaving!!" style of argument misses the point entirely and kinda just feels like you're punching down because you can.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just bought the 2018 aflw prospectus for my brother for christmas. $25 with free shipping (even free express shipping)

I'll have a peek at it when it arrives.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Aside from the fact that Melbourne clearly is the best, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

However, I rarely see any suggestions on how to fix the current issues or explanations on why some clubs seem to have these issues but others don't.

Port doesn't seem to be losing a bunch of quality players - in fact they are doing the opposite. Sydney doesn't haemorrhage players either. West Coast and Freo don't seem to have massive issues with the only one of note I can recall leaving in recent times (off the top of my head) being Weller who didn't even go to a Vic club.

The Lions and Suns have had serious issues with losing players for mostly obvious reasons. GWS whole strategy was around drafting so many kids from Vic that they knew they'd lose some but that it would allow them to spread their list profile. The Crows seem to be the anomaly, particularly when compared to Port, so maybe there is more to it than sponsorship and media opportunities (not that they wouldn't effect the situation in some way but I highly doubt it's the key driver).

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i think adelaides rabid fanbase and fishbowl environment has more to do with losing players

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The issue is less with the number of players you lose. As you point out, sometimes people are going to want to leave a club for any number of reasons. Certainly the question of why the Crows seem to lose more players than Port is a valid one.

The bigger issue is where they end up. By and large, the good players end up in Victoria. There are obviously exceptions, but those are usually cases where an abundance of money is available, ie when the expansion clubs had oodles of cash to throw around, or when Sydney still had COLA.

I'm not trying to claim there's some big AFL conspiracy to hold down non-Victorian clubs, by the way. I just don't think that they care about it. They primarily care about making money and they know that their biggest profit comes from Melbourne-based clubs being successful, so there isn't really an incentive to make things fairer.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 13, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

i think adelaides rabid fanbase and fishbowl environment has more to do with losing players

Honestly, I'd be surprised if this had actually contributed to the loss of a single player.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if this had actually contributed to the loss of a single player.

Yeah, if that was a major issue, players would be fleeing Geelong in droves.

(Geelong is a poo poo tier city, with an insanely parochial and invasive local media, and equally insane inbred local fans.)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, if that was a major issue, players would be fleeing Geelong in droves.

(Geelong is a poo poo tier city, with an insanely parochial and invasive local media, and equally insane inbred local fans.)

Does Adelaide have much surfing nearby? Proximity to the surf coast is literally the only positive thing about Geelong as a city and lots of players seem to surf

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Does Adelaide have much surfing nearby? Proximity to the surf coast is literally the only positive thing about Geelong as a city and lots of players seem to surf

Depends on what you mean by "nearby". There are some good surfing beaches on the Yorke Peninsula but it's probably a good 2-3 hours drive. There's also some good surfing on Fleurieu Peninsula less than an hour from Adelaide but it's slim pickings.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Maybe you should install a wave generator in the Torrens?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Can't be worse than the time it managed to entirely drain and stink up the entire city, hahaha.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cmndstab posted:

Can't be worse than the time it managed to entirely drain and stink up the entire city, hahaha.

I remember that. How many sunken popeye boats and car wrecks did they find?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The one good thing about SA is their drinks (and maybe their stobie poles?) so we should concentrate on that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Stobie poles are pretty cool. One time one of them cut a drag racer in half on Magill Rd and some old coot woke up to a legless torso crawling up his driveway

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-13/lasttouch-rule-confirmed-for-aflw-in-2018

AFLW news
A free kick shall be awarded against a player who:

- Kicks or handballs the football over the boundary line without the football being touched by another player;

- Except where a player who does not have possession stops the football being touched by an opposition player by shepherding the football across the boundary line where the football could have otherwise been touched.

- If in doubt the umpires are instructed to throw the ball in.

Also game day squads reduced to 21 (from 6 to 5 on the bench) and mandatory 2min time on for each quarter

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wait, how is a mandatory 2 minute time on not just making the quarter 2 minutes longer, rather than time on?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Good OOB rule changes imo, I also am confused by the time on thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

On paper it sounds OK but it'll probably get mangled in practice.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

gay picnic defence posted:

Stobie poles are pretty cool. One time one of them cut a drag racer in half on Magill Rd and some old coot woke up to a legless torso crawling up his driveway

Stobie poles are specially designed to cull the population.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Maybe if you guys didn’t have Stobie poles Dangerfield would have stayed.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

ZombieJesus posted:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-13/lasttouch-rule-confirmed-for-aflw-in-2018

AFLW news
A free kick shall be awarded against a player who:

- Kicks or handballs the football over the boundary line without the football being touched by another player;

- Except where a player who does not have possession stops the football being touched by an opposition player by shepherding the football across the boundary line where the football could have otherwise been touched.

- If in doubt the umpires are instructed to throw the ball in.

Also game day squads reduced to 21 (from 6 to 5 on the bench) and mandatory 2min time on for each quarter

Nooo :( I hate the free kick for disposals that go out of bound bullshit. Oh well, hopefully this will scratch the AFL's itch for a while longer and we can keep it out of the rest of the league.

I remember that. How many sunken popeye boats and car wrecks did they find?

Several car wrecks, hahaha. The funniest part was it happened on Valentine's Day. My fiancee at the time and I went for a nice romantic dinner literally overlooking the lake. Fortunately the wind was blowing away from us so at least it didn't stink!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

What the gently caress was anyone doing trying to drag race on Magill loving road? That road is a deathtrap at 40km/h, let alone trying to speed down it.

I will literally go several kilometers out of my way to avoid that stupid road.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

stobie poles were invented because not even trees would be caught dead in adelaide

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
the fourth year wedding anniversary theme is silk or linen, so my wife got me a hawks cap signed by Burgoyne :3:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

the fourth year wedding anniversary theme is silk or linen, so my wife got me a hawks cap signed by Burgoyne :3:

Your wife is pretty cool

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

realbez posted:

That is amazing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Your wife is pretty cool

:agreed: I couldn’t think of anything clever to do with that theme

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/michael-christian-to-replace-afl-match-review-panel-under-new-judiciary-system-20171214-h04gp5.html

:D

I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with putting all that power into the hands of one guy

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/michael-christian-to-replace-afl-match-review-panel-under-new-judiciary-system-20171214-h04gp5.html

:D

I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with putting all that power into the hands of one guy

Na, it couldn't be any worse than the previous system.

quote:

Collingwood premiership player Michael Christian will be the lone ranger of the revamped MRP.

I stand corrected.

But seriously, as long as they are consistent with the gradings over the course of the season and refer more complex/severe poo poo to the tribunal then it should be ok. But that was the case with the previous system as well and they failed miserably at that so I'm not sure what the changes do to address those issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
the 3 low level offences resulting in a suspension thing didn't last long

• Locked thread