Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

TontoCorazon posted:

I've said it before the the sound of that huge rear end mimic enemy that just relentlessly hunts you is downright frightening.

It's equal parts threatening and alien at the same time.

It is a pitch shifted dog. A yappy one, I would bet real money on it. The thing is so drat easy to bug out if you crawl/climb/slightly shuffle two feet to the left so I have had ample time to listen to its "Bork borks!". The rest of the sounds sounds like marine life so alien is not too far off a distinction, but a few rounds of buckshot will answer any probing questions a Nightmare might have for you.

The thing that got me is once you install any 3 typhon mods the flag to trigger one is tripped, normally they do not appear until you reach a certain power threshold in needles or gear. And then after the first if you kill it go on a respawn timer of about 20 mins so the more you gently caress around the more of them you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't remember if it's actually mentioned in the games or not, but there's a thing about the two-headed cows called Brahmin in the Fallout games that I irrationally love. They've been around in that form for so long that when an unmutated/one-headed/actually-tastes-better cow comes along, the people shrug and assume it's a bizarrely mutated brahmin.

It's such a clichéd, dumb joke, but it gets me grinning every time I think about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Fran Bow has a moment right around the end of chapter 2 that is a massive spoiler but it is also something that is so surprising that it actually made me tear up a little bit. YOU GET YOUR GODDAMNED CAT BACK AND HE'S OKAY. I was expecting the game to be a wearying slog through uncomfortable horror-sadness, and it's looking like it's just going into complete, old-school adventure game zany bonkers territory instead, and I am 100% absolutely fine with that. The main character's motivations are always clear and while the dialogue can be a bit tiring at times, you are playing as a 10-year-old girl and it's nice that they err on the side of 'too childish' rather than the usual error: Making her a jaded 35-year-old who occasionally doesn't know how to pronounce something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Missing Link posted:

One of the things I like about Prey are the random encounters. I'm 100% it's because of the D&D nerds on the station bleeding into the mimics.

This... is not my best moment in Video games
http://plays.tv/video/5a2dd76aa51877aac8/the-biggest-nope-on-the-station

That was pretty great

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Hearthstone expansion Knights of the Frozen Throne had a set of nine Death Knight cards, one for each class. Each one is a Death Knight version of the default hero for its class, transforming your hero into it when you play it. These new heroes each come with full voice acting. Some of them really phone it in, but I really like the voice work for Shadowreaper Anduin. Particularly the line he says when he concedes.

No... your victory proves nothing! :argh:

EDIT: Also the latest expansion has a Homestar Runner reference in it, which I appreciate.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Dec 11, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found the point where Ecco PS2 gets bad - the caves behind the octopus suck. It's a shame though because the unlockables gallery is nicely presented - you actually swim around an atlantean theatre checking out rooms with each set of art items, from fish to the Foe to the cutscenes etc it's really nice, I'm just never going to bother with this dumb level.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Watchdogs 2 is an incredibly well-realized port. I don't think I've ever seen a game like this let you adjust steering sensitivity with keyboard controls before.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Still Destiny 2: The final boss theme is dynamic. It plays the boss' theme song until you're about to decisively kick him in the dick, at which point the music quickly shifts over to the Guardians theme.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Netstorm: Islands at War was in many ways ahead of its time, a multi-player centric RTS where, since the only way to attack others was by building towers, it involved a lot more than just 'build mob of creatures -> send to opponent's camp'.

The best part though? To defeat an opponent, destroying their base wasn't enough. No, you had to capture their Priest (unique basic building unit), then sacrifice it in a ritual.

The ritual itself was awesome - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gInoX2mwgM&t=510s

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Assassins Creed Origins there's an achievement for running away from hippos. :haw:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hungry hungry hippos?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Remember Me is a beautiful game. I like how the UI is implemented in game with them popping up amongst stalls and stores as you walk by. Also like it comes up on characters sometimes, like when the robo bouncers scream at you with a projection of a screaming mouth coming out of their head. It's honestly not that bad of a Arkham clone?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exit Strategy posted:

Still Destiny 2: The final boss theme is dynamic. It plays the boss' theme song until you're about to decisively kick him in the dick, at which point the music quickly shifts over to the Guardians theme.

In Destiny all player/Guardian actions are taken seriously. As a result, that same behavior is specifically mentioned in various item and armor descriptions which have enemy factions and everyday normal humans wondering why they won't stop dancing everywhere or being dumb assholes. One of the card short stories from D1 has a Cabal grunt mention how lovely life is fighting an enemy that respawns every ten seconds that also does nothing but ramp their space bikes off things and dance all over the place. One of the items in D2 has some Cabal spy on the Crucible, the pvp arenas set up with the premise that since they can't die there's no point in using fake rockets, and they learn that Guardians spend most of it complaining about how the Crucible is stupid bullshit. Another one has a little short story about various human janitors and technicians getting increasingly creeped out at how Guardians never stop dancing, and sometimes seem to just dance at things instead of with them. Some event or another was driven by promising Guardians they'd receive shinies if they did it (and they did).

Basically Guardians are treated like the heroic murderhobos we all truly are and everyone is alternately in awe and weirded out by them.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Dec 12, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TontoCorazon posted:

Hungry hungry hippos?

Run For Your Life!, sadly.

I love silly trophies like that in games.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AssCreed Origins might be the best AV game yet, but the one feature in it thats currently my favorite little things is the camera mode and how it lets you post your rad images on to the map for other players to view and like! I have found some REALLY cool looking poo poo that people have posted; still desperately waiting for someone to like my photos though :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've got nothing but pictures of cats and papyrus scroll solutions, that seems to work.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I found the point where Ecco PS2 gets bad - the caves behind the octopus suck. It's a shame though because the unlockables gallery is nicely presented - you actually swim around an atlantean theatre checking out rooms with each set of art items, from fish to the Foe to the cutscenes etc it's really nice, I'm just never going to bother with this dumb level.

PLEASE try the Sega CD Ecco games and post your thoughts about them, I'm ultra-curious

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Remember Me is a beautiful game. I like how the UI is implemented in game with them popping up amongst stalls and stores as you walk by. Also like it comes up on characters sometimes, like when the robo bouncers scream at you with a projection of a screaming mouth coming out of their head. It's honestly not that bad of a Arkham clone?

Yeah, I loved the graphics and world building. It's a shame the gameplay wasn't as solid as Batman or Mordor but it was still cool building your own combos.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Aww man, they hosed up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just picked up Hand of Fate 2, and it has a lot of little things going for it. For anyone who doesn't know, it's basically a fantasy medieval themed Arkham Asylum meets procedurally generated dungeon with some games of chance tossed in.

When you start a mission you get to choose a selection of some of the cards that make up the level you are going to play. If the level has a total of 20 spaces for you to play on, you can choose maybe 15 of them. You can also select the sort of equipment/treasure that will show up if you want.

A typical round goes something like this - you guide your hero along a game board that is made up of random cards. When you flip over a card, it will show you a random encounter of some kind. Either a plot card, or an enemy encounter or an action.

If it's an enemy card, you will have to fight a handful of guys in an Arkham-lite battle. (Attack, dodge, counter, stun, super, etc.) There are 3 or 4 kinds of weapons, shields, armor and equipment that are better for some encounters than others, but all are effective. The only downside is that you cannot change during combat, but can change before any combat session.

If it's an action or story card you will get a chance to try an do something, or not. Now is when the chance comes in. There are 4-5 mini games that will affect how your choices play out.

For example, you can come across a building that's on fire. You can choose to run in and try and save a family. If you go in, you are presented with a spinning wheel with three success cards, three damage cards, three failure cards and one critical failure. The wheel spins. If you land on the success, you can continue and try and retrieve one of the remaining success cards. But the card you pulled will be replaced with a failure card and the wheel spins faster. If you hit damage, you take a hit to your life points, but can try again. Failure means that a beam falls down preventing you from rescuing one person. Crit fail I think means that you lose any remaining attempts and also some life.

However, with some of these cards, they will have an additional token on them, and if you "beat" the card, by getting the highest success, then it will add more cards to be placed randomly through any other dungeon, in addition to whatever rewards you get.

In addition, the dealer has some pretty good voice acting and berates you for flubbing rolls, or missing timing cues.

The combat isn't as tight as Arkham, but it also doesn't drop your counter if you take too long between attacks, or if you miss, only if you get hit.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

poptart_fairy posted:

Prey has one for launching yourself like 25 feet in normal gravity. It was fun finding the right spot and angle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really hope the people that made Hand of Fate make a physical card and dice game.

I love it and would like to play around a table with friends. It could be like a really light DnD.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I really hope the people that made Hand of Fate make a physical card and dice game.

I love it and would like to play around a table with friends. It could be like a really light DnD.

You're in luck

https://handoffateordeals.com/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Handoff. Ate Ordeals!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

PLEASE try the Sega CD Ecco games and post your thoughts about them, I'm ultra-curious

I did just download a Sega CD emulator. I'll probably try the first Ecco at the weekend.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

. One of the items in D2 has some Cabal spy on the Crucible, the pvp arenas set up with the premise that since they can't die there's no point in using fake rockers

IIRC the Crucible was conceived as a Cunning Plan after it was found to be impossible to station Guardians for long boring guard shifts. They'd just leave.
So they built arenas at strategically significant locations and set up prizes for 'most murderous' (Guardians like prizes.) The arenas are always packed and any aliens stupid enough to attack one of these places are going to get REKT. Success!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wish Bungie would go full Halo with Destiny and hire a bunch of well meaning and competent writers to pump out some Destiny novels, Id buy the poo poo out of it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I did just download a Sega CD emulator. I'll probably try the first Ecco at the weekend.

If you can play through the Jurassic Park point-and-click adventure game, I'll be... well, surprised. But impressed, too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

If you can play through the Jurassic Park point-and-click adventure game, I'll be... well, surprised. But impressed, too.

The Telltale one? That's not difficult to play - just a bit annoying.

It'd be child's play compared to what Bioenchanted usually works through too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Telltale one? That's not difficult to play - just a bit annoying.

It'd be child's play compared to what Bioenchanted usually works through too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Handoff. Ate Ordeals!

Hand of Fate, or Deals?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Han, Do Ffa. Teord E. Als?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really like what Firaxis has done to the physics in XCOM 2. Now when you shoot someone instead of maybe lurching off to the side they'll flip out or crumple into a pile or fall through the ground and 97% of the time it makes me chuckle.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Han, Do Ffa. Teord E. Als?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

RareAcumen posted:

I really like what Firaxis has done to the physics in XCOM 2. Now when you shoot someone instead of maybe lurching off to the side they'll flip out or crumple into a pile or fall through the ground and 97% of the time it makes me chuckle.

If you can click someplace to get a grenade, the soldier throwing it will absolutely get the grenade there. Walls mean nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm3wvr9Vj8

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Feonir posted:

If you can click someplace to get a grenade, the soldier throwing it will absolutely get the grenade there. Walls mean nothing.

I'll admit I abused that 'glitch' to get rid of multiple layers of walls at times. The throw busts one wall, the explosion busts the second.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inzombiac posted:

They should make a Manos: Hands of Fate game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feonir posted:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I like how the guns shoot a lot more now. The small bursts that they fire are a lot nicer to watch compared to Enemy Within and Unkown's versions.

Also, speaking of grenades, sometimes your soldiers will just throw an explosion. Like, empty hand, toss animation and kaboom immediately.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Slime posted:

That high five also gives the character tagging in a damage/healing boost on their next move. All games need stat boosting high fives.

Speaking as someone who loved the bro-op in Double Dragon Neon so much as to binge all three difficulty settings with a couple of friends over the course of a weekend, I can confirm that this is true. If memory serves, there are actually two different forms of high-five goodness: one buffs both players damage output temporarily and the other balances both characters' health bars, allowing the healthier bro to donate some life to his bro in need. Symbiotic bros. Symbi-bro-sis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Like seriously XCOM 2 is little things in games the game. SOmetimes I'll spend 10 minutes just looking around in the Avenger, because there's almost always something happening in there.