Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Just got done having our doberman Edsel put to sleep. It was really time, my wife burned her last PTO days yesterday and today - she spent the entirety of both days day glued to his side, which is really all he ever wanted. We spoiled the poo poo out of him last night, feeding him leftover steak and potatoes while he lay on the couch under a blanket.

I'm sorry. :( I know it couldn't have been easy.

RIP Edsel, a good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So you can cook a steak in the air frier and it's quite good.

Also my friend died and left behind a fuckton of medical debt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Geoj posted:

:smith:

Just got done having our doberman Edsel put to sleep.
Sorry to hear that man.

You made the right choice and it's a good thing for everyone, especially him, that it didn't drag out. When they stop drinking and just collapse it's time. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

RIP Edsel, a good dog.

True words. Commiserations to anyone losing friends or family members. Pets are family members.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, i missed your post about your pupper. So sorry. Please post a pic of him so we can see how awesome he was.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, i missed your post about your pupper. So sorry. Please post a pic of him so we can see how awesome he was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842195&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post478961101

Geoj posted:

Edsel in happier times:

Sorry Geoj. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:smith:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Does anyone know of any wheels that look like these?

I've asked Compomotive and they've stopped making them. I'm after something like these in 8,5x18" and 5x130 PCD.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Okay guys... good friend of mine is having rather dire financial issues (as in she's about to be evicted, has no water at her house thanks to lovely landlord refusing to fix a broken pipe for several months that caused a $3000+ water bill, and her power gets shut off this week). :smith:

I want to buy xmas stuff for her kids. Any suggestions?

She has a 2 year old, 9 year old, and 14 year old. The 14 year old is a home-schooled autistic dude that's already bigger than me (no seriously, he's taller than me and outweighs me by a good 30 lbs, I've given him a lot of the clothes that I can't wear since I lost weight), and usually hates any male that she brings around, but for some reason likes me (dude keeps me in stitches when he's watching AFV here). He's really into network TV, but especially AFV. And to be honest, kinda reminds me of myself at his age, aside from being giant (I was ~5'2 and maybe 100 lbs at 14). The 9 year old will probably be a standup comedian before he hits puberty, and loves games (they have an Xbox 360 and a PS3). The 2 year old is a typical terrible twos toddler, except he likes doing swan dives into my bathtub when he bathes here. :ohdear: Little poo poo is a better swimmer than I am (not saying much, I'm not a good swimmer, but she claims he's a fantastic swimmer in pools already)

I'm planning on hosting Christmas for her and her kids at my place. My place isn't much, but I have power and running water.

(part of me wants to throw a massive lego set at 2 of the kids as retaliation for her 2 year old swan diving repeatedly into my bathtub and flooding my bathroom :laffo: but she goes barefoot most places anyway, so she won't notice stepping on a lego as much as most people)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

D-D-Double post, with a delivery story!

So new/old job (not naming that company, thanks to the whole Whole fiasco) was a bit of a wash today. I usually log in to Uber Eats on my way home; more than anything, so I can write off the miles driving home.

Got a ping close to my apartment. Uber doesn't tell you what restaurant it is until you accept it, but I recognized it on the map as a well-known local bar/grill nearby. Get there, pick it up. Uber also doesn't tell us where we're going until after we pick up the order. It's going into the next city/county. Well crap, but I'll make a bit on mileage, at least. Dude immediately texts me the gate code for his apt/condo development too, so I'm already 20 steps ahead of most gated community deliveries.

So I drive to the address, and.. wait. Why am I at a strip mall? (I'm not familiar with the city he's in, at all... I know the exits off of the highway and that's about it) Send him a text back. Reply was essentially "oh poo poo, I didn't change it from my work address, I'm at <xxxx>" (3 miles in the opposite direction). No big deal, that happens a lot (no seriously, probably about 1/4 of my deliveries late at night are like that), I can usually get Uber to pay the extra mileage. I send back a text telling him "no biggie, ETA is <x>, see you then".

I get there. He opens the door as I'm walking up. He's.... not sober. I have no idea what the gently caress he was on. He's probably my age (~40ish). He doesn't smell like booze or weed, he doesn't smelly sweaty like you'd expect from anything amphetamine based (before you say you can't eat on amphetamines, I've had speed munchies more than once). His pupils are straight out of anime. Most drugs (aside from :420:) don't boost your appetite much, but he had a pretty decent sized order.

He hands me a :20bux:. I hand it back, saying that's way too much, I don't have change, he can tip in the app. Boiled down to "no, you can tell I'm way too hosed up to drive, just take the $20!". YESSIR! I even tried to blame it on Uber, saying they often don't send an updated address to me if someone changes it when they order (true), and he still admitted to being too hosed up to realize he sent it to his work. :v:

That trip added almost $30 (uber payout + $20 tip) to the ~$83 I made in 7.5 hours at my full time job (which is usually more like $150), and once I get Uber to finally adjust the mileage payout, I should get another $2 or so. Uber Eats doesn't usually ding the customer for excess mileage; it's generally a flat booking fee to the customer, and a 30% commission from the restaurant.

I wanna know what the gently caress he was on. Dude was about my age (maybe a couple of years on me), the original destination address was a higher end store in a strip mall, his home address was a nice condo, so he's not doing too bad. Especially for someone who's partying hard on a weeknight!

(e: I don't want to do hard drugs again, this is more just curiosity)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 13, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geoj posted:

Just got done having our doberman Edsel put to sleep.
:glomp: I'm sorry

We're worried about our oldest dog, he threw up a few times last night then again this morning. I'm fairly sure he broke off a part of a bone and it was aggravating his gut. Normal appetite and drinking this morning along with a healthy bowel movement but last night was not a good night. Wife is probably staying home with him today to keep an eye on him.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So both the purchase of the houseruin and the sale of our apartment have now been finalized. Next step is to find something temporary to rent while the new house is being designed and built.

(gently caress I hope I can squeeze the garage into the budget. Wife is on board with it.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The AI Facebook group has been renamed semi-appropriately.

(hopefully the new name might scare off some of the spamme ahahahahah who the gently caress am I kidding)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

(part of me wants to throw a massive lego set at 2 of the kids as retaliation for her 2 year old swan diving repeatedly into my bathtub and flooding my bathroom :laffo: but she goes barefoot most places anyway, so she won't notice stepping on a lego as much as most people)

I've just bought a couple of the knock of Lego sets (Lepin) from aliexpress and have been really impressed by them if you want to get them a massive lego set and not spend as much.

Yeah they are rip off versions - but for the set I bought the Lego version is now sold out and would cost me £250-£350 to buy and the Lepin version was £60 and they manage to ship them from China via Hong Kong to my doormat in the UK in 3-4 days!.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

afen posted:

I've asked Compomotive and they've stopped making them. I'm after something like these in 8,5x18" and 5x130 PCD.

Audi Wagons with 5 cylinders = Best Audis

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

(hopefully the new name might scare off some of the spamme ahahahahah who the gently caress am I kidding)

What's the name? I made some dumb fb account recently in order to get in contact with my brother. I got in touch with him so wasn't going to log in to fb anymore but...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/180737692131890/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
:lol: ford falcon and aussie chrysler ute in the header pic. Who runs this poo poo show?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

:lol: ford falcon and aussie chrysler ute in the header pic. Who runs this poo poo show?

Master Blaster

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fo3 posted:

Sup :wmwink:

There's a handful of other admins and several mods.... it kinda got dumped in my lap a few years back, a previous admin decided they had enough and made me admin. I made enough people admin to make sure the group will live on if one or two admins run away screaming, and there's several mods on top of admins. So I guess I'm roughly 10% admin now.... :laffo:

e: it seems like I'm the only one who ever updates the banner pic tho

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 13, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Hey I watched Wheelman on netflix and found it to be a very AI movie. Mostly close ups of the driver of a car, which gives it a very in-car claustrophobic feel, which worked well for the movie.

But the best part is the sound effects, they didn't overdub incorrect shifting or lose track of what gear the car was in or anything. At least I didn't catch any mistakes. Someone was a car nut and was paying very close attention. Like when he's speeding around the city, he usually gets to third gear and winds it out, not shifting again. And then downshifts when slowing down, it's great. And the car only has one reverse gear, as it should.

Anyway, not the deepest of plots nor the most original, it's the story of a getaway driver on a job. But still worth watching for the original and unique aspects of it. And great car sounds. I won't spoil the cars.

Yup I dug it. Only gripe was no clear shots of the first car. It was an E46 330 right?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Okay guys... good friend of mine is having rather dire financial issues (as in she's about to be evicted, has no water at her house thanks to lovely landlord refusing to fix a broken pipe for several months that caused a $3000+ water bill, and her power gets shut off this week). :smith:

She has a 2 year old, 9 year old, and 14 year old. The 14 year old is a home-schooled autistic dude that's already bigger than me (no seriously, he's taller than me and outweighs me by a good 30 lbs, I've given him a lot of the clothes that I can't wear since I lost weight), and usually hates any male that she brings around, but for some reason likes me (dude keeps me in stitches when he's watching AFV here). He's really into network TV, but especially AFV. And to be honest, kinda reminds me of myself at his age, aside from being giant (I was ~5'2 and maybe 100 lbs at 14). The 9 year old will probably be a standup comedian before he hits puberty, and loves games (they have an Xbox 360 and a PS3). The 2 year old is a typical terrible twos toddler, except he likes doing swan dives into my bathtub when he bathes here. :ohdear: Little poo poo is a better swimmer than I am (not saying much, I'm not a good swimmer, but she claims he's a fantastic swimmer in pools already)

I'm planning on hosting Christmas for her and her kids at my place. My place isn't much, but I have power and running water.

I don't have much input regarding gifts but you should definitely look into rent escrow laws in Texas because if she's getting evicted due to the landlord refusing to fix a problem that is super illegal and she should have rights in this situation.

That said a cursory look at Texas law makes it sound like you can't withhold rent, but ianal nor do I know the situation fully.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EpicBirdEnthusiast posted:

I don't have much input regarding gifts but you should definitely look into rent escrow laws in Texas because if she's getting evicted due to the landlord refusing to fix a problem that is super illegal and she should have rights in this situation.

That said a cursory look at Texas law makes it sound like you can't withhold rent, but ianal nor do I know the situation fully.

looks like they hit her with the bill for the water usage that happened during the leak...i really would think that the utility service would understand something like that and adjust the bill but this is amercia :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EpicBirdEnthusiast posted:

She's on a month to month right now, and lost her paper copy of the lease (it was in her car when she got t-boned a couple of years ago), so she's pretty much worst possible right now.

But trust me, the napalm of bridges between her and slumlord will commence very soon. She's holding off until she has the money to move.

On the plus side, she has a 3/2 house for $750/month. But the house is a house only because most of the walls and roof haven't fallen apart yet. She moved her older kids out of one bedroom thanks to the ceiling deciding to come in to say hello.

Texas law does allow withholding, but only after a notice via certified mail, or two documented attempts to deliver to property management. And, well, she lost her copy of the lease, and said landlord is refusing to provide another copy (again, she's on month to month now anyway).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like they hit her with the bill for the water usage that happened during the leak...i really would think that the utility service would understand something like that and adjust the bill but this is amercia :smith:

Yeah a lot of states treat renters like they're one step above criminals and its bullshit. In Texas it appears that you have the right to hire someone to fix the problem and then deduct that from your rent but that doesn't help you if the cost of the repair is more than you can afford at a given time. The state by state variation can be a huge problem for people who are forced by circumstance to move around a lot too.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

She's on a month to month right now, and lost her paper copy of the lease (it was in her car when she got t-boned a couple of years ago), so she's pretty much worst possible right now.

But trust me, the napalm of bridges between her and slumlord will commence very soon. She's holding off until she has the money to move.

On the plus side, she has a 3/2 house for $750/month. But the house is a house only because most of the walls and roof haven't fallen apart yet.

Texas law does allow withholding, but only after a notice via certified mail, or two documented attempts to deliver to property management. And, well, she lost her copy of the lease, and said landlord is refusing to provide another copy (again, she's on month to month now anyway).

:jihad: :thermidor:

Landlord refusing to provide a copy should be illegal in and of itself. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have one either.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 13, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Basically, yeah. She can't afford to fix it, and her landlord threatens to raise the rent anytime she brings up the broken pipes. Or any other issue. Her lease supposedly states she's responsible for most repairs, except for HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. She hasn't had working AC in a month or so (yes, we still need AC right now, it's Texas damnit).

The city she's in (next one over) will start requiring inspections of all rental properties when they turn over (tenants) in about 3 weeks, instead of when the property changes ownership. She's trying to wait until January to move, to force an inspection. She wants to napalm her landlord, basically. Can't say I blame her. I've driven her to his house a few times to drop off rent, if you can afford to live in a $500k house, you can afford to repair your $60k (on a good day) shithole.

tl;dr Just trying to figure out age appropriate gifts for her kids anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 13, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Basically, yeah. She can't afford to fix it, and her landlord threatens to raise the rent anytime she brings up the broken pipes. Or any other issue. Her lease supposedly states she's responsible for most repairs, except for HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. She hasn't had working AC in a month or so (yes, we still need AC right now, it's Texas damnit).

The city she's in (next one over) will start requiring inspections of all rental properties when they turn over (tenants) in about 3 weeks, instead of when the property changes ownership. She's trying to wait until January to move, to force an inspection. She wants to napalm her landlord, basically. Can't say I blame her. I've driven her to his house a few times to drop off rent, if you can afford to live in a $500k house, you can afford to repair your $60k (on a good day) shithole.

I'd say that there needs to be an electrical fire shortly after she moves out, if it didn't mean he'd just collect insurance and sell the land. gently caress that dude with a flamethrower.

edit: gifts! If the older kisd like vidya games, gift card to GameStop, let them pick out what they need/want? Lego is always a good choice, as far as I'm concerned, Duplo for the 2 year old. Nerf guns are cool, if the kids won't get uber violent with them.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 13, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sorry for distracting from your original question. Rental issues set off huge alarm bells in me. Sounds like a lovely situation overall but yeah nuke everything. Regarding gifts I don't have a ton of input since the last time I interacted with a 14 year old boy was probably when I was 14 but I'll bet they'll be happy with anything thoughtful and fun.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: GEMINIDS TONIGHT

Historically the best shower of the year, along with the Perseids which sucked bad this year.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sup :wmwink:

e: it seems like I'm the only one who ever updates the banner pic tho

You bet your sweet rear end thats gonna change

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus, between you and Rhyno your friend drama the past few months is literally more than I've dealt with my entire life... and I'm now solidly in my 40s :psyduck:

Did you ask Mom what the kids are wanting?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DICK DICER posted:

You bet your sweet rear end thats gonna change

WHY CANT I CHANGE THE BANNER, REDNECK

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

afen posted:

There's the volk TE37, and then a lot of wheels made to look like it. They make the te37 in white and 5x130 and that size, but they're real expensive, like 800/wheel.

http://www.mackin-ind.com/portfolio/volk-racing-te37rt/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

afen posted:

Revolution Milleniums perhaps?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Can you PM me? I have a house overflowing with toys and we are non-smoking, clean people. I can send you a big box but tell me today. Probably can even dig up some new in the box stuff we have never opened otherwise I can send very clean stuffed animals and toys and even lots of clothes for the 2 year old if it is a girl. Let me know. EDIT yes i see now that it is a boy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just by Rota copies and get them in a billion fitments and offsets. They look best when they've got loads of dish imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: GEMINIDS TONIGHT

Historically the best shower of the year, along with the Perseids which sucked bad this year.

That's positivity I can afford

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone else a Sams Club member? They have these bomb rear end jalapeno rings super cheap that are soooo good but I always eat so many that I get stomach pains the next day. I do this to myself once or twice a week.

Burger was worth it though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Jesus, between you and Rhyno your friend drama the past few months is literally more than I've dealt with my entire life... and I'm now solidly in my 40s :psyduck:

Did you ask Mom what the kids are wanting?

People dropping like flies isn't exactly friend drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

hehe you said 'semi'

• Locked thread