Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Powered through Muv-Luv Unlimited over the last two days and quite enjoyed it. Really curious to see which of the more mysterious elements are explained in Alternative (The most obvious questions to me being how Takeru ended up in the Unlimited world, why he seems to have mutually exclusive memories about how Extra played out, whether Kasumi really is somehow Sumika or not (I guess Kasumi IS an anagram for Sumika though. Perhaps asking how and why Sumika somehow became Kasumi is a better question), how Takeru in the Unlimited world supposedly died, the deal with the BETA etc.).

Also it was kind of cool how the thing with the old woman not wanting to leave her house despite the volcano foreshadows the decision about leaving Earth or not at the end of the game.

voltcatfish posted:

Door 2 is so much better than Door 1 its crazy
Yeah. I think Door 1 is just genuinely not a very good short story on its own merits, but it works as a contrast to Door 2 at least and sets up some ideas that are relevant later on.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, I will say that you've had seemingly the ideal Extra/Unlimited experience and are thus poised to be thoroughly blown away by Alternative.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm waiting for FS/N otome plz T-M. I have :20bux:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alder posted:

I'm waiting for FS/N otome plz T-M. I have :20bux:

What you are describing is Fate Prototype. There isn't a VN but there are novels.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Getsuya posted:

What you are describing is Fate Prototype. There isn't a VN but there are novels.

ik but they'll never expand upon it beyond the PV :sigh:

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Nate RFB posted:

Well, I will say that you've had seemingly the ideal Extra/Unlimited experience and are thus poised to be thoroughly blown away by Alternative.

Yup, have fun!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I started Alternative and while I'm quite enjoying it I'm still in the beginning parts. It's been weird going back and forth between it and Xenoblade 2 though.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well, I finished Fata Morgana.

That was definitely a journey all right. It didn't feel like the best VN or even the most emotional VN I've played but I can definitely think it of as a type of a masterpiece. Not saying it's not incredibly good though. Haunting and the OST was great. I did almost refund it due to the first two music tracks played when the "game proper" started. The first one after the intro almost broke my ears.

Perhaps I'll get back to Higurashi one day now. I just can't stand the characters being as young as they are. Looking at VNDB, of the fairly well rated VNs that have English translations I've now finished are:

MuvLuv
Steins;Gate
Ever17
Fate/Stay
DR1+2
Tsukihime

Any "must plays" still around there? I'm guessing Clannad? Maybe I should just give up on Higurashi and go for Umineko? I think I've gone through the chapters that go through the meat of Higurashi's mystery but it's not really grabbing me. Steins;Gate is still definitely my favourite, it made me legit cry. MuvLuv - allthough questionable, is incredible piece of work. F/SN, regardless of the hate it receives to a degree is still something I enjoy. Fata Morgana was really...classy. I do like all of the VNs I listed there. I think I gave Grisaia a shot but that poo poo is way too skewy, disgusting and pretentious and marred by extremely lovely pace.

edit: Fata Morgana was my one and only black friday purchase thanks to this very thread. So, thank you. It seemed to be the best VN on sale that I hadn't already played.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 6, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Clannad yes, and Little Busters.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd skip to Umineko, it's very different from Higurashi and the closest in tone to Fata Morgana.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess it kind of depends how far you actually got in Higurashi, because there is definitely a pretty large gap in quality between some of the early chapters and the later ones especially in terms of pacing and general just "Stuff Happening". It's a very backloaded story. Umineko by contrast I do feel gets going a lot faster and is tonally a lot more consistent start to finish.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Play DR1-2 for variety.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Steins;Gate 0

Yes, it's good even if it isn't quite the level of the original.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Muv-Luv Alternative - The loving creepo doctor from Extra coming back in a major way is something I should have expected but caught me off guard majorly. drat that whole elongated section with the coup d'etat and the Americans was intense.

AlternateNu posted:

Steins;Gate 0

Yes, it's good even if it isn't quite the level of the original.
Gonna second this. Even if 0 isn't as good as the original, that it even tries to tell a different kind of story is cool and good.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah I actually forgot s;g:0. I enjoyed "normal"/depressed Okabe. Is that a weird thing to enjoy in the story?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah because he sucked

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dessel posted:

Yeah I actually forgot s;g:0. I enjoyed "normal"/depressed Okabe. Is that a weird thing to enjoy in the story?
Nah because that's a large part of the premise. I think they do a good job of depicting it anyways.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 6, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dessel posted:

Well, I finished Fata Morgana.

That was definitely a journey all right. It didn't feel like the best VN or even the most emotional VN I've played but I can definitely think it of as a type of a masterpiece. Not saying it's not incredibly good though. Haunting and the OST was great. I did almost refund it due to the first two music tracks played when the "game proper" started. The first one after the intro almost broke my ears.

Perhaps I'll get back to Higurashi one day now. I just can't stand the characters being as young as they are. Looking at VNDB, of the fairly well rated VNs that have English translations I've now finished are:

MuvLuv
Steins;Gate
Ever17
Fate/Stay
DR1+2
Tsukihime

Any "must plays" still around there? I'm guessing Clannad? Maybe I should just give up on Higurashi and go for Umineko? I think I've gone through the chapters that go through the meat of Higurashi's mystery but it's not really grabbing me. Steins;Gate is still definitely my favourite, it made me legit cry. MuvLuv - allthough questionable, is incredible piece of work. F/SN, regardless of the hate it receives to a degree is still something I enjoy. Fata Morgana was really...classy. I do like all of the VNs I listed there. I think I gave Grisaia a shot but that poo poo is way too skewy, disgusting and pretentious and marred by extremely lovely pace.

edit: Fata Morgana was my one and only black friday purchase thanks to this very thread. So, thank you. It seemed to be the best VN on sale that I hadn't already played.

Nothing in there suggests to me that you would like Clannad, but I guess it won't hurt to give it a try? I'd second the suggestion of trying Umineko first if you're not feeling Higurashi, though possibly not immediately after FM. I'd also strongly recommend Root Double if you want a mostly improved Ever17, and The Nonary Games in a similar vein if you don't mind some puzzles with your VNing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Okabe's depiction is fine and interesting enough in S;G 0 but it's also not something that can drive an entire full VN S;G narrative. And everything else about the S;G 0 narrative/premise is thin and ultimately insubstantial.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In silly VN news, some indie VN maker is apparently trying to sell a game on Steam that uses CG they... um... 'borrowed' from some actual Japanese VNs.

The first time someone called them out on it they acted surprised, saying 'Oh hey we thought those were free assets we just sort of stumbled on on Google, we'll take that out'

Then more people popped up in the thread pointing out that almost all of the CG the guys had put in their Steam preview were from various actual VNs. No second response from the devs.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I know a lot more than one of those unfortunately. All of them look like complete garbage and try to offer hundreds of achievements as their selling point, they're making no attempt at actually making VNs at all.

But only the IP holder can request takedowns and only of the individual images. So when one image gets reported they just replace it with another.

Not enough fuss for Valve to ban these people apparently.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys Muv-Luv Alternative is real sad. :smith:

Is this what I get for calling lacrosse bad

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 7, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Getsuya posted:

In silly VN news, some indie VN maker is apparently trying to sell a game on Steam that uses CG they... um... 'borrowed' from some actual Japanese VNs.

The first time someone called them out on it they acted surprised, saying 'Oh hey we thought those were free assets we just sort of stumbled on on Google, we'll take that out'

Then more people popped up in the thread pointing out that almost all of the CG the guys had put in their Steam preview were from various actual VNs. No second response from the devs.

And it's for a VN about a father creeping on his daughters. http://store.steampowered.com/app/733260/Daddys_Girls/

Their initial defense seems to indicate that they think poo poo they find on google is free to use, lmao.

There's a russian company that has been doing this for a little while now. They make a lot of "5000 achievements in one game!" shovelware using stolen VN assets and some other stuff too. http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=bch%20waves%20studio

That latter one has been operating for the better part of the year and Valve hasn't done poo poo because Valve is loving awful.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 7, 2017

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Raxivace posted:

I'm sure everything will be fine.... :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Presumably now you know why Muv-Luv had to have the convoluted format that it did, why Extra had to have the tone that it did, why it just wouldn't have been the same reading a summary and skipping straight to Unlimited or even worse Alternative. It's kind of an insane project and I'm not sure it 100% works but I will always give age the respect for trying.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Presumably now you know why Muv-Luv had to have the convoluted format that it did, why Extra had to have the tone that it did, why it just wouldn't have been the same reading a summary and skipping straight to Unlimited or even worse Alternative. It's kind of an insane project and I'm not sure it 100% works but I will always give age the respect for trying.
I'm not quite done with Alternative yet but yeah. I wouldn't have skipped Extra or Unlimited anyways even if people had been telling me to (And I still think even if those two games were all we had they still do some cool things on their own together) but they definitely are necessary for what the story of Alternative seems to be going for.

I have a couple of minor criticisms so far (I'm not sure some of these fake science discussions needed to be quite as long as they are, for example) but the ambition of the game is cool and so far, I think, mostly successful.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The Umineko fighting game is available now on Steam.

This one might actually be good, as opposed to the Higurashi fighting game which had an interesting plot but janktastic gameplay.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Has anyone else actually played Chaos;Child? I'm just about finished with my first playthrough and man, things get really dark. The twists are fantastic, and the fact that I didn't see them coming, but also thought they were very well foreshadowed, is a testament to the quality of the writing.

Given how much everyone in here seems to agree that S;G is fantastic (I agree), I'm surprised that only one person has mentionef C;C. Granted, even though the two games take place in the same city on the same timeline, there aren't overlapping characters (although there's at least one definite and explicit connection), it still feels similar to S;G in a kind of inexplicable way, while being a lot darker.

Probably the best review of the game I've read: "If I'd have known it was 70 hours long, I would have never played Chaos;Child, but thank god I did". 70 hours isn't an exaggeration, also. The pacing is pretty good, and the game draws you in immediately with some disturbing scenes. Admittedly, it does get rather slow for chapters 3-6 (I think), but the character and world-building pays off big-time. Chapters 7-11 are pretty action-packed and shocking throughout, and I havent seen any of the other routes or True Ending.

For anyone who likes darker VNs, mystery VNs, S;G or just really well-executed, smart stories, I highly recommend Chaos;Child. The game has a pretty impressive budget, and it's a really obviously high-quality product throughout.

It's on PS4 and Vita, I'm playing it on PS4. Seriously, check it out if you like VNs and can handle some grusome imagery (mostly just descriptions paired with some effective images).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought about playing it but I just could not get through Chaos;Head no matter how many times I’ve tried. I’m assuming Child must better but I just can’t handle the protagonist in Head.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Has anyone else actually played Chaos;Child? I'm just about finished with my first playthrough and man, things get really dark. The twists are fantastic, and the fact that I didn't see them coming, but also thought they were very well foreshadowed, is a testament to the quality of the writing.

Given how much everyone in here seems to agree that S;G is fantastic (I agree), I'm surprised that only one person has mentionef C;C. Granted, even though the two games take place in the same city on the same timeline, there aren't overlapping characters (although there's at least one definite and explicit connection), it still feels similar to S;G in a kind of inexplicable way, while being a lot darker.

Probably the best review of the game I've read: "If I'd have known it was 70 hours long, I would have never played Chaos;Child, but thank god I did". 70 hours isn't an exaggeration, also. The pacing is pretty good, and the game draws you in immediately with some disturbing scenes. Admittedly, it does get rather slow for chapters 3-6 (I think), but the character and world-building pays off big-time. Chapters 7-11 are pretty action-packed and shocking throughout, and I havent seen any of the other routes or True Ending.

For anyone who likes darker VNs, mystery VNs, S;G or just really well-executed, smart stories, I highly recommend Chaos;Child. The game has a pretty impressive budget, and it's a really obviously high-quality product throughout.

It's on PS4 and Vita, I'm playing it on PS4. Seriously, check it out if you like VNs and can handle some grusome imagery (mostly just descriptions paired with some effective images).

How much do you need to know from Chaos;Head? I watched the anime (*blargh*) and read some of the side notes online years ago. So, I know the overarching story/plot points, at least.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There Fata Morgana's finally done.

Don't think it quite reached Umineko heights for me but it certainly was a lovely tale I don't regret reading for sure.

e: oh right and thanks again for the nice person who bought the game for me :3:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2017

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I thought about playing it but I just could not get through Chaos;Head no matter how many times I’ve tried. I’m assuming Child must better but I just can’t handle the protagonist in Head.

AlternateNu - Skipping C;H is totally fine, and actually encouraged. C;H had a similar feel (dark, murders, crime thriller/mystery), but from the reviews I've read it had a much lower budget and it's pacing/story/execution was flawed in a number of ways.

According to people who've played the whole thing, there's a number of things to really like about C;H, but they're somewhat buried by the flaws. It seems like C;C is the result of the writers taking what they learned from C;H and building upon it to create a better VN. If you play it, you'll see what I mean; there are enough similarities to C;H that it makes me think that C;C was meant as a quasi-reboot, except they made it a sequel so that they could use the setting and plot outline as a framing device for C;C.

One side-character from C;H shows up in C;C, and the events of C;H are referenced, but C;C gives you all the context you need to enjoy it wholly stand-alone.

As far as complaints about the protagonist from C;H:

From what I can tell, the protagonist in C;C is similar to the protagonist in C;H, but his quirks are significantly toned down. IIRC the protag in C;H was basically a nervous, creepy, anti-social otaku who looked down on everyone around him with a feeling of entitlement.

The protag in C;C is socially-inept and obsessed with media literacy, being informed and knowing more about everything than the general public. He categorizes people based on how savvy and knowledgable he thinks they are, and looks down on those he perceives as ignorant. I wasn't bothered by him, because the game makes it pretty clear that those traits are childish, and does a good job of showing the childhood trauma and isolation that triggered those tendencies. Aside from being predisposed to making some mostly harmless and understandable, if immature comments, he's a pretty easy character to relate to, and I would say he's less initially offputting than Rintaro from S;G.

I dunno, I'm probably only making him sound more similar to the protagonist from C;H, but I personally didnt have a problem with him, and his opinions on the world at large seemed borne of a need to build himself up rather than tear anyone else down. I don't think the writers belabor his less desirable traits.

Additionally, his character grows significantly, and once you understand why he is the way he is, he becomes even more sympathetic. I think if the writers had done a poor job of fleshing him out as a character, it might have been an issue, but I really think he's an excellent protagonist for this particular story.

I highly recommend trying C;C (don't watch the anime, apparently it does nothing but spoil the game's plot while executingit poorly) when you have some time to dive into a game. The first few hours are very engaging, and even though the game slows down for character development between chapters 3-4, it picks back up, and by the time you get to chapter 8-9 you'll probably be captivated and rushing to finish it.

Edit: jfc I wrote a lot about this game. Guess that says something about how much I'm liking it. On a side note, I love horror VNs and C;C managed to scare me more with the appearance of a certain character than most other media has been able to. I'm not talking about a jump-scare or gore, I mean their character art freaked me out enough that I was scared whenever they reappeared to speak.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 9, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Do you think FM will ever come to vita overseas? I find that I don't like reading paragraphs of text on my PC at all.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

3D GAY WORLD posted:

AlternateNu - Skipping C;H is totally fine, and actually encouraged. C;H had a similar feel (dark, murders, crime thriller/mystery), but from the reviews I've read it had a much lower budget and it's pacing/story/execution was flawed in a number of ways.

According to people who've played the whole thing, there's a number of things to really like about C;H, but they're somewhat buried by the flaws. It seems like C;C is the result of the writers taking what they learned from C;H and building upon it to create a better VN. If you play it, you'll see what I mean; there are enough similarities to C;H that it makes me think that C;C was meant as a quasi-reboot, except they made it a sequel so that they could use the setting and plot outline as a framing device for C;C.

One side-character from C;H shows up in C;C, and the events of C;H are referenced, but C;C gives you all the context you need to enjoy it wholly stand-alone.

As far as complaints about the protagonist from C;H:

From what I can tell, the protagonist in C;C is similar to the protagonist in C;H, but his quirks are significantly toned down. IIRC the protag in C;H was basically a nervous, creepy, anti-social otaku who looked down on everyone around him with a feeling of entitlement.

The protag in C;C is socially-inept and obsessed with media literacy, being informed and knowing more about everything than the general public. He categorizes people based on how savvy and knowledgable he thinks they are, and looks down on those he perceives as ignorant. I wasn't bothered by him, because the game makes it pretty clear that those traits are childish, and does a good job of showing the childhood trauma and isolation that triggered those tendencies. Aside from being predisposed to making some mostly harmless and understandable, if immature comments, he's a pretty easy character to relate to, and I would say he's less initially offputting than Rintaro from S;G.

I dunno, I'm probably only making him sound more similar to the protagonist from C;H, but I personally didnt have a problem with him, and his opinions on the world at large seemed borne of a need to build himself up rather than tear anyone else down. I don't think the writers belabor his less desirable traits.

Additionally, his character grows significantly, and once you understand why he is the way he is, he becomes even more sympathetic. I think if the writers had done a poor job of fleshing him out as a character, it might have been an issue, but I really think he's an excellent protagonist for this particular story.

I highly recommend trying C;C (don't watch the anime, apparently it does nothing but spoil the game's plot while executingit poorly) when you have some time to dive into a game. The first few hours are very engaging, and even though the game slows down for character development between chapters 3-4, it picks back up, and by the time you get to chapter 8-9 you'll probably be captivated and rushing to finish it.

Edit: jfc I wrote a lot about this game. Guess that says something about how much I'm liking it. On a side note, I love horror VNs and C;C managed to scare me more with the appearance of a certain character than most other media has been able to. I'm not talking about a jump-scare or gore, I mean their character art freaked me out enough that I was scared whenever they reappeared to speak.

I’ve been on the fence for this game and your description of it finally sold me on getting it. I’m going in deep, probably play it like I did the original S;G, high as gently caress.

E: Yeah, it’s night and day better than the anime.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 10, 2017

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

numerrik posted:

I’ve been on the fence for this game and your description of it finally sold me on getting it. I’m going in deep, probably play it like I did the original S;G, high as gently caress.

E: Yeah, it’s night and day better than the anime.

Cool! Glad my thoughts could help a fence-sitter decide. The first playthrough is quite a ride, I'm on the other routes now, though I just began.

High as gently caress sounds like a really good way to play it. It'll help you get through the 3-4th chapter lull, and by the time it totally cuts loose you'll have your mind blown even moreso. Thankfully even completely sober the game manages to hide almost all of its reveals. I only saw two or three minor things coming, and even then I only figured it out like 5 mins before it was explicitly revealed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Various otome VN on sale at PSN Holiday sales: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/12/12/ps-stores-holiday-sale-5-weeks-of-savings/

BAD APPLE WARS $27.99 $23.99 $39.99

CODE: REALIZE ~GUARDIAN OF REBIRTH~ $19.99 $11.99 $39.99

COLLAR X MALICE $27.99 $23.99 $39.99

NORN9: VAR COMMONS $19.99 $11.99 $39.99

PERIOD CUBE: SHACKLES OF AMADEUS $27.99 $23.99 $39.99

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/mangagamer-and-friends-bundle Humble Mangagamer and Friends bundle. Get the first five chapters of Higurashi and a couple other titles on Steam for $10. I've been holding off until it's all up, but this seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone familiar with the others?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Randallteal posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/mangagamer-and-friends-bundle Humble Mangagamer and Friends bundle. Get the first five chapters of Higurashi and a couple other titles on Steam for $10. I've been holding off until it's all up, but this seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone familiar with the others?

Eden* and IMHHW are both pretty well-regarded, though I've not played either of them myself.

Most of the rest is trashy harem stuff except for KftP which is trashy lesbian stuff.

Beat the average is definitely an excellent deal; I'll probably go for it since I still don't have Higurashi on Steam and that means I can pretend my three physical copies of it don't count. Whether the top tier is worth it depends on how you're planning to buy the remaining three chapters, I guess.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 13, 2017

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just be aware that IMHHW is very generic slice of life. If you enjoy slice of life stuff it's decent enough.

e: but yeah if you want the 5 Higurashi chapters on steam, $10 is already a pretty good deal without the rest of the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

IMHHW was decently enjoyable for me until you get to the routes where the translation takes a complete nosedive into nigh gibberish.