Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What we need is a starship made up out of several saucers linked together by walkways or plasma tubing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

evilmiera posted:

What we need is a starship made up out of several saucers linked together by walkways or plasma tubing or something.

Simpsons Star Trek already did it.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jupiter_Station

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Close, but the saucers need to be further apart and not just lined up straight, also it needs to be able to move.

Edit: Imagine a tangle of jellyfish and that's about what I'm going for.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

First Contact really feels like the beginning of them missing the point.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Binary Badger posted:

Their shuttlecraft only have one band, so..?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

Or the middle and bottom blow out and they're stuck doing loops until someone can fix the other two.

The middle and top were wrecked in the Pilot and it seemed that the ship was still capable of quantum drive, they just mentioned needing some time to get the lower drive back up and running.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I really don't like the way the shuttles look in this show and I can't put my finger on why.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The ship design is a bit weird, kind of evoking a sea creature. I think it would have looked better with some kind of ovoid axial ring or rings so it looked more like recent renditions of the Alcubierre drive.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So did Klyden fertilize the egg? Because if he didn't then he should've had no loving say in what to do with the baby.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Paradoxish posted:

I really don't like the way the shuttles look in this show and I can't put my finger on why.

I don't like it either when I see it in a still like that. The weirdly square bits of it just don't look right. And the two engines look like the top one isn't even a part of the ship.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So did Klyden fertilize the egg? Because if he didn't then he should've had no loving say in what to do with the baby.

Cool we have an expert in Mockan law and culture itt

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

R-Type posted:

The ship design is a bit weird, kind of evoking a sea creature. I think it would have looked better with some kind of ovoid axial ring or rings so it looked more like recent renditions of the Alcubierre drive.

Yes make it less unique and more like other ships that have been designed before.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

The thing looks like an electric razor or trimmer.

I love the look of the big Orville ships but the shuttle is just kind of ugly.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Paradoxish posted:

Can't quickly tell which way it's facing. It looks a bit like either end could be the "front".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The front has the big window in it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do any of the interior sets with windows match up with specific areas on the ship? Like there's the big curved hallway lined with windows, all crew quarters have similar windows, but it's hard to place where things are on the ship model. Or, in classic scify tradition, is there little to no thought put into that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
almost all of the windows show in trek line up with windows on the exterior.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah I mean, you'll probably have trouble pointing to one specific window on the model and being like "that's so-and-so quarters" but no moreso than picking out one specific office from the exterior of a decent skyscraper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are also a lot of specific windows that we are shown where they are in trek. Ten-Forward and the bridge ceiling bubble are the obvious ones on TNG. DS9 has the promenade windows.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
edit:

I like both this show and ST:D, but I agree that the latter is less "Trek" in spirit than Orville, which is surprising.

I am also quite surprised at how much critics dislike Orville, although the veering between comedy and drama critcism is valid enough.

Paradoxish posted:

It looks like an ergonomic mouse designed by somebody who had never seen hands.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 12, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
The quantity of spec-sheet benchmarking and extrapolation of ship dimensions based on screenshots & dialogue means The Orville show is good sci-fi. Congrats everyone. We have another show to cling to.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Baronjutter posted:

Do any of the interior sets with windows match up with specific areas on the ship? Like there's the big curved hallway lined with windows, all crew quarters have similar windows, but it's hard to place where things are on the ship model. Or, in classic scify tradition, is there little to no thought put into that?

This is one thing I've been watching out for out of curiosity since the show started and I actually think its laid out really well, and I think I have a good idea where things are taking place in the key locations.

This is the nerdiest post I've ever made in my life but... oh well.

Its so far from what I can tell 100% consistent in those areas. The hallway wraps around, which is why in the long shot its very straight, while in the shot where Ed waves at the guy who's name he can't remember its highly curved from both points of view because they're walking right at the front. Theres an entrance on either side to the stairwell which leads to the upstairs that has the bridge, conference room, and captains office. The other glass area contains the mess hall/bar at the very rear of the ship, which you can tell by the stars moving outside it when its in shot. That glassed in area does wrap around much longer than the bar, however whats in that space they haven't shown us.

So far though, from what I've been able to tell the whole thing feels very thought out, which is why I feel they sat down with all the designers and really thought this ship out, inside and out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd assume crew quarters and other recreation would share a deck with the bar so maybe those windows are officers quarters.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Seth is not above making a blueprint image for The Orville. I'm certain it will come with something like a blu-ray.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Speaking about the size, I came across this which looks pretty definitive for its size, and it looks just slightly smaller than voyager, which sounds about right. Also I think its neat to see theres apparently a giant greenhouse of some kind next to the holodeck which we haven't seen yet. I'm hoping that makes an appearance in s2, it looks like it could be neat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That looks way the gently caress more reasonable than the size chart I posted.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished watching both seasons of The Orville and Star Trek Discovery, and man it's like night and day

I don't think Star Trek has to be light and tone, but STD constantly feels like watching someone try to fit a square peg through a round hole. None of the characters are that memorable or likable (except for Michael's roommate, and the fact that she's the only member of the crew who isn't an rear end in a top hat is treated like a joke), and even when the season picks up in the second half it still just feels like a less good version of The Expanse.

I think The Orville does a better job of having a likable cast of distinct characters, and taps into Star Trek's core appeal more effectively. Star Trek has always been built around discovery and most attempts to turn it into a generic sci-fi action franchise just come off as stiff and derivative. I'm not going to say that Orville is must-see TV but it manages to be a light, thoughtful sci-fi series with a message that isn't centered around blowing poo poo up, and that's something I could really use in 2017.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

McSpanky posted:

Half the time I think "cheap" is code for "not covered in 500 layers of useless greebles and shadowy mood lightings that pops on my ultra 10K 4D OLE". A clean smooth evenly-lit design -- in other words, something you'd actually want to live and work in -- isn't in vogue right now.

A bit late, but I totally agree. I think the sets look fine, but the bright flat lighting doesn't help.

The Alara holodeck episode has a long sequence where the sets are dark and orange, and if that was the usual look for the show then I don't think anyone would be complaining about 'cheap' sets.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Years ago I used to know a guy who was very into gender politics and one of the things he used to talk about was how phallic many structures designed by men were; towers, skyscrapers, that sort of thing, and very few were shaped like the female genitals. But he also talked about rockets, which I thought was absurd - because how on earth could you make a spaceship in the shape of a vagina? How would that even work?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking about the size, I came across this which looks pretty definitive for its size, and it looks just slightly smaller than voyager, which sounds about right. Also I think its neat to see theres apparently a giant greenhouse of some kind next to the holodeck which we haven't seen yet. I'm hoping that makes an appearance in s2, it looks like it could be neat.

Now I really want an Orville Technical Manual.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From above, the Orville's aft section looks like a sideways :aaa:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Years ago I used to know a guy who was very into gender politics and one of the things he used to talk about was how phallic many structures designed by men were; towers, skyscrapers, that sort of thing, and very few were shaped like the female genitals. But he also talked about rockets, which I thought was absurd - because how on earth could you make a spaceship in the shape of a vagina? How would that even work?

The mother ship in Octavia Butler's Dawn is explicitly womb-like, in line with the themes of the story (as far as I remember from reading it in a 101 class 20 years back) and that's probably been done a bunch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Once you see it... :eyepop:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

A bit late, but I totally agree. I think the sets look fine, but the bright flat lighting doesn't help.

The Alara holodeck episode has a long sequence where the sets are dark and orange, and if that was the usual look for the show then I don't think anyone would be complaining about 'cheap' sets.

the enterprise D looked awful with yellow-orange lighting in generations

the bright white lights are a key part of the atmosphere of the ship imo

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chop Sunni posted:

The mother ship in Octavia Butler's Dawn is explicitly womb-like, in line with the themes of the story (as far as I remember from reading it in a 101 class 20 years back) and that's probably been done a bunch.

:thunk:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s a banana ship. Enough said.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm so glad Seth slept in 10 minutes too late on 9/11

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looks like Disney owns this show now

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Looks like Disney owns this show now

I believe the deal only covers the film side of Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe the deal only covers the film side of Fox.

Transaction to include 21st Century Fox’s film and television studios, cable entertainment networks and international TV businesses